Stupid maintenance requirements

Stupid maintenance requirements

Author
Discussion

davwill

14 posts

32 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all

Ford Fiesta all this to remove a leaf that had got into the heater motor and was makeing a bit of a noise.

thatdude

2,462 posts

91 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
kev b said:
I am surprised there has been no mention of Ducati so far, let me nominate, well any job really!
Earlier ducatis, not so bad I dont think. Setting the valve clearence on the desmo system is a bit of a job though. But oil changes etc, not so bad.

I'm going to throw in the Yamaha FZ1 here, because changing the spark plugs means removing the radiator. I tried simply shifting the radiator forward without disconnecting the coolant hoses, but thre still wasnt enough room.


RizzoTheRat

20,530 posts

156 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
davwill said:
Ford Fiesta all this to remove a leaf that had got into the heater motor and was makeing a bit of a noise.
Wouldn't it have been easier to poke a couple of caterpillars in the air vents?

donkmeister

3,367 posts

64 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Vectra C with the Z28 engines... Changing the headlamp bulbs involved removing the headlamp unit, which involved removing the front bumper (or at the very least, removing enough fixings to bend it down to the ground). Why? Some bugger had put engine right where the bulbs go in and out.
Another one for the Vectra C that caused some disagreement when I posted it before... Removing the rear bank of sparkplugs involves removing the inlet manifold. I think someone claimed they'd managed without, but I can't see how. I know Vauxhall had to remove mine as they forgot to do up the clips on the boost pipe leading to a thrilling "limp home" moment as I pulled onto a busy DC and went N/A.

K-series engines need frequent cambelt changes. On the F and TF the cambelt runs AROUND an engine mount. So, to replace the cambelt (every 2 or 3 years on the VVCs) you need to unbolt the engine mount and jack the engine up so you can post the belt through the gap.

W211 Mercedes E-classes with the SBC braking system - if you don't have a scanner to deactivate the braking system there's a whole procedure to go through involving disconnecting batteries (plural) and/or not opening doors for a particular length of time so that the brake system doesn't engage by itself and push the pistons out. However, to balance the brake stupidity the oil changes are ridiculously easy as it's all done from above.

A Winner Is You

22,912 posts

191 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
davwill said:
Ford Fiesta all this to remove a leaf that had got into the heater motor and was makeing a bit of a noise.
Wouldn't it have been easier to poke a couple of caterpillars in the air vents?
Until a few months later when you get butterflies making the noise

MC Bodge

15,428 posts

139 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
RizzoTheRat said:
davwill said:
Ford Fiesta all this to remove a leaf that had got into the heater motor and was makeing a bit of a noise.
Wouldn't it have been easier to poke a couple of caterpillars in the air vents?

BigBen

10,571 posts

194 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
CambsBill said:
Had to get the brake light switch replaced on my Atom last year. Given how open the car is you'd think you could just reach in and do it, no problems but no, the windscreen had to be taken off! biggrin
Another reason not to have a windscreen. It was really easy when I had to do it on my Atom, just had to remove the front panel / wing mirrors.

Zoobeef

5,922 posts

122 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Few on the noble.

Engine out to get the box out.

Cut out panels the change any bulbs then reseal.

KTF

8,779 posts

114 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
LochTay said:
Does this mean it would be quicker to use supports and hoist to lift body off engine to do some major work now?
I would assume the body is welded on to the floorpan after being married so good luck with that smile

TurboHatchback

3,929 posts

117 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
KTF said:
LochTay said:
Does this mean it would be quicker to use supports and hoist to lift body off engine to do some major work now?
I would assume the body is welded on to the floorpan after being married so good luck with that smile
I think you assume wrong, I've not watched that exact video but I've seen many similar and they tend to weld the entire bodyshell, then paint it and then marry it to the drivetrain and suspension.

The hitch in this plan would be that the factory has the drivetrain and suspension all on a dedicated jig so as to position everything so the holes line up and everything just slots together. If you attempted the reverse in a garage you'd end up with a load of discombobulated drivetrain and parts all flopping around with no way to post them all back in where they need to go all at the same time. Also all the interior trim etc is added afterwards covering up fixings and such, it would not be the simple way forward.

irocfan

26,597 posts

154 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
And then you've got headlights/taillights that must be purchased from official sources - second hand won't do

KTF

8,779 posts

114 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
TurboHatchback said:
I think you assume wrong, I've not watched that exact video but I've seen many similar and they tend to weld the entire bodyshell, then paint it and then marry it to the drivetrain and suspension.

The hitch in this plan would be that the factory has the drivetrain and suspension all on a dedicated jig so as to position everything so the holes line up and everything just slots together. If you attempted the reverse in a garage you'd end up with a load of discombobulated drivetrain and parts all flopping around with no way to post them all back in where they need to go all at the same time. Also all the interior trim etc is added afterwards covering up fixings and such, it would not be the simple way forward.
I looked at the video again and it is the drivetrain and suspension that is offered up where I thought it was also the floorpan as well.

Turbobanana

2,940 posts

165 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
There's a difference between the lengths one has to go to in order to carry out maintenance (see the F50) and what manufacturers want you to do during a service.

Selling Hyundais many years ago, we were pulling brake pads out of cars with well over half their friction material left and replacing them, because Hyundai set ridiculous service limits and were very sniffy about claims on the 5 year warranty if corners were cut.

vikingaero

5,639 posts

133 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
The one thing that Europe could have done for us when we were a member, would have been to mandate that all new cars have to be able to have headlight bulbs changed on the roadside with reasonable access.

Going back to ste maintenance requirements - one of my friends had a French car where to replace the brake lines, you had to break the clips holding them in place (rather than reclipping them back on). That faff and a few other things made him write the car off.

dumfriesdave

361 posts

101 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
On my Ford C-max 07 model.
After working on braking system it's almost impossible to get access to master cylinder (in my case to top up fluid and attach power bleeder) without removing wipers and 2 scuttle panels.

Miserablegit

2,183 posts

73 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
W164 Mercedes ML- required the interior carpet to be cut to replace the battery...
That is how it is meant to be done

Madness

Pan Pan Pan

7,671 posts

75 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Little Pete said:

Renault Scenic heater motor replacement.
This brings back unhappy memories of my daily driver, which suffered the one and only problem it ever had, and which had the entire dash removed (for nothing)
The mechanics eventually discovered the cause of an electrical problem, was the freak occurrence of a flint which had been thrown up from the road fast enough for it to penetrate the plastic sheathing on one of the main cables (in the engine bay FFS!) which shorted it out.
Took them quite a while to find it, but they took it as a personal challenge, and did not give up until they had it sorted.

theoriginalpaul

169 posts

34 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Took my hateful Disco 3 to my local LR indy (it was 3 years old at the time) - the power tailgate release had failed.
The conversation went along the lines of:
'good news is that its only a £17 part...
Bad news is there's no way to access it without being able to open the tailgate. To do that we need to remove the interior trim, but to remove the interior trim you need the tailgate open.
So we'll need to break off the trim.

Cheers Landrover. You really thought that one through.

MC Bodge

15,428 posts

139 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
vikingaero said:
The one thing that Europe could have done for us when we were a member, would have been to mandate that all new cars have to be able to have headlight bulbs changed on the roadside with reasonable access.
Agreed. I suspect that the manufacturers have/would resist it.

If the EU mandate it, the UK will still Comply, though.

downthepub

1,266 posts

170 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
MC Bodge said:
vikingaero said:
The one thing that Europe could have done for us when we were a member, would have been to mandate that all new cars have to be able to have headlight bulbs changed on the roadside with reasonable access.
Agreed. I suspect that the manufacturers have/would resist it.

If the EU mandate it, the UK will still Comply, though.
The US did this for many years, between 1940 and 1983 headlamps were federally mandated. Hence why euro cars had funny headlamps, something which always puzzled me as a child. From 1940 until 1974 you got round headlamps only, but then they had a funny turn and allowed rectangular units as well giving a grand choice of two. Theory being that you could be in the wilds and still be able to replace your headlamp bulk should it blow.