RE: New 992 GT3 driven at 186mph for 3,100 miles

RE: New 992 GT3 driven at 186mph for 3,100 miles

Author
Discussion

s m

20,611 posts

167 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Chedders said:
Kawasicki said:
Volvo?
They'd rather chuck a moose at their cars.
Mercedes swerved that test with their A-class but I remember the Mercedes 190 setting some high speed endurance results

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/autos/rec...

clacs2

80 posts

123 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
SFO said:
minor change laugh
Cheers.

oedipus

115 posts

30 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
So this Porsche has an engine that won’t fail until the 17th hour of ownership.

av185

13,181 posts

91 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
paulwirral said:
Most owners flippers will never actually see either of those headline test figures !
Efa.

Majority of these cars will be owned and used properly by enthusiasts long term though.

stuttgartmetal

8,028 posts

180 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Flat out at 186 isn’t putting maximising energy through an engine.
Putting the power down, accelerating and decelerating through the gears, slowing the car with the gears, and then pushing on is far more aggressive.
Their test means nothing.
Nothing.
Maybe not 186, but an old 993 3.6 could pull this stunt at 150 for longer, and be fine.
This is what happen when PR and media Berks, along with bean counters take over the helm.
This kind of twaddle spouted.


tommy1973s

720 posts

135 months

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
Max_Torque said:
A Ford fiesta runs for 180 hours continuously at WOT peak power during it's engine development tests, so 16 hours is pretty trivial actually!
Not driven though

tommy1973s

720 posts

135 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Never any issues with a Mezger.

So much bhiness on this thread.

In 9 years' time, batteries.

Nothing to talk about then.

Batteries are beyond dull.

Baldchap

4,039 posts

56 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Just think: If they did this with the cars that actually get driven to 3,100 miles and beyond, it might make for decent testing...

cayman-black

10,249 posts

180 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Really i must laugh at this Porsche bullst to make all its fanboys happy and con them. Of the top marque cars, Porsche has the most engine problems you only need to read through the forums to find this out yet some still think a Porsche is made from rock . I must admit Porsche have done a great job in making this seem the case.

av185

13,181 posts

91 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
tommy1973s said:
Never any issues with a Mezger.

So much bhiness on this thread.

In 9 years' time, batteries.

Nothing to talk about then.

Batteries are beyond dull.
Thats exactly why Porsche as shrewd as they are are investing ££billions in alternative fuel development meaning we can run ice cars past 2030 and way beyond... driving

mickyh7

1,426 posts

50 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
I remember the early Primera and Micra Engine testing at Sunderland.
I was based in the next door cell.
They attached the Engine to a Magnetic Device which was the equivalent of towing a Caravan full of Lead up a hill for 40 hours.
I remember being told of quite a few rods leaving the block with sheets of flames behind them.
I only got to see the aftermath.
All the failed parts were quickly shipped back to HO in Japan, somtimes Cranfield. With oil samples.
Volvo spent much time there with most of the large manufacturers.
Triumph Motorcycles were based in my Inspection Lab for 12 months. They became reliable after that!
It's all shared to keep development costs down.

Christian Ayres

1 posts

106 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Credit must also go to Michelin for the tyres.

Funkstar De Luxe

525 posts

147 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
I don't find this to be very impressive to be honest with you.

Leftfootwonder

933 posts

22 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
Really i must laugh at this Porsche bullst to make all its fanboys happy and con them.
av185 said:
Thats exactly why Porsche as shrewd as they are are investing ££billions in alternative fuel development meaning we can run ice cars past 2030 and way beyond... driving
Hook, line and sinker.

I think you'll also find Audi, Bentley and..oh wait, VW, are doing the same. What a coincidence.

Nickbrapp

3,923 posts

94 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Don’t know why they bother, everyone knows these will be bought, kept in a garage and then flipped for the first 20 years Anyway then tucked away as a barn find in another 50.

av185

13,181 posts

91 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Leftfootwonder said:
cayman-black said:
Really i must laugh at this Porsche bullst to make all its fanboys happy and con them.
av185 said:
Thats exactly why Porsche as shrewd as they are are investing ££billions in alternative fuel development meaning we can run ice cars past 2030 and way beyond... driving
Hook, line and sinker.

I think you'll also find Audi, Bentley and..oh wait, VW, are doing the same. What a coincidence.
I think you'll also find the unbelievable coincidence also includes Seat Skoda Bugatti and Lamborghini who you forgot to mention. biggrin:

av185

13,181 posts

91 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Nickbrapp said:
Don’t know why they bother, everyone knows these will be bought, kept in a garage and then flipped for the first 20 years Anyway then tucked away as a barn find in another 50.
The definition of flipping means this is only possible for a short time period in order to maximise profit.

smilo996

1,645 posts

134 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
Hope they drove it for weeks around central London to give it a proper, real world test.

wcpcib2

4 posts

50 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Wow a gt3 that did 3100 miles without going through the hands of a flipper!

FerrariGuy007

84 posts

58 months

Saturday
quotequote all
Bah, just an overpriced VW Beetle with wings.