Who has the best Garage on Pistonheads????

Who has the best Garage on Pistonheads????

Author
Discussion

Jonny TVR

2,415 posts

222 months

Wednesday 1st May
quotequote all
stevebe said:
My understanding is that in a Carcoon/Airchamber the air is constantly circulating so stops condensation forming. (there are 2 x small fans with filters in the unit)

Until last winter I had run a dehumidifier and it took a lot of water out the atmosphere during winter. Dehumidifier went off once and after 6 weeks or so a little mould was showing on the alcantara seat.

No such problem with 'bubble' and car started on first turn


Edited by stevebe on Wednesday 1st May 13:06
It was the same with my spitfire .. started immediately on first turn

Khaki Suit

307 posts

105 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
Greg_D said:
can someone explain the benefits of a carcoon to me please, obviously it keeps the worst of the dust off the car and is a physical cover.

how does the ventilation system work, there is no information on their website, is it just a small fan that keeps positive air pressure, or does it treat and dehumidify the air? is there an 'in' and an 'out' fan?
does it actively dry the car, or just maintain its present condition?
My carcoon vents through the roof panel, unless you open the flap at the back for when the car goes in wet. It has two computer type fans which constantly run and cost around a penny a day iirc.

The benefit is zero moisture. Chrome or aluminium parts come out as untarnished as the day the car went in. Great for shiney engine bays but also for the prevention of rust.

also stops dust and vermin as had been mentioned but I believe the main benefit is moisture.

kambites

56,511 posts

162 months

Thursday 2nd May
quotequote all
Depending on how poorly sealed your garage is, I'd have thought you'd have to run it for a long time to pay for itself vs just dehumidifying the whole garage. I think my dehumidifier averages of the order of 25p a day to keep our double garage down to about 50% humidity (with two cars regularly put away wet in there).

Slow

4,343 posts

78 months

Friday 3rd May
quotequote all
Not mine but my dads, still being built but he has fitted some of the nicest doors I have seen in a while.

It’s ac controlled so couldn’t have more glass or he wanted full width glass panels.


Khaki Suit

307 posts

105 months

Friday 3rd May
quotequote all
kambites said:
Depending on how poorly sealed your garage is, I'd have thought you'd have to run it for a long time to pay for itself vs just dehumidifying the whole garage. I think my dehumidifier averages of the order of 25p a day to keep our double garage down to about 50% humidity (with two cars regularly put away wet in there).
It's around 1p a day iirc.
Advertisement

buzzer

3,144 posts

181 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all
just painted the floor in mine


Doofus

9,038 posts

114 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all
buzzer said:
just painted the floor in mine

Did you do it with a crayon? wink

buzzer

3,144 posts

181 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all
Doofus said:
Did you do it with a crayon? wink
biggrin I have no idea what the lines are, the come out every time I paint it, its in the concrete!

sjj84

2,119 posts

160 months

Wednesday 8th May
quotequote all
Are those platforms wide enough to fit a bike paddock stand on? I'm sorely tempted to buy one, just trying to justify it to myself.

buzzer

3,144 posts

181 months

Wednesday 8th May
quotequote all
sjj84 said:
Are those platforms wide enough to fit a bike paddock stand on? I'm sorely tempted to buy one, just trying to justify it to myself.
yes, i use a paddock stand for rebuilds... its a versatile piece of kit!





Megaflow

6,682 posts

166 months

Monday 13th May
quotequote all
buzzer said:
just painted the floor in mine

Where did you get the massively long pressure wash hose from?

Storer

4,930 posts

156 months

Monday 13th May
quotequote all
Megaflow said:
Where did you get the massively long pressure wash hose from?
Your local hydraulic hose specialist can make a hose to your specification.

Alternatively try Pirtek

Krikkit

15,048 posts

122 months

Monday 13th May
quotequote all
Or eBay!

Biglips

655 posts

96 months

Monday 13th May
quotequote all
Or Karcher Outlet. I got one for about £20.

zippyonline

284 posts

107 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Hello everyone.

Moving to a house this tuesday with a proper double garage. Can anyone advise as to who they use for house & contents insurance that includes a reasonable value to cover tools/bikes? The standard companies only seem to cover between £500 to £2,500 for garages and outbuildings, which quickly goes down the pan with a few tools...

Thanks!

Muncher

11,478 posts

190 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Home Protect cover mine, around £40,-50k for the garage itself and about £20k worth of contents.

Storer

4,930 posts

156 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
NFU Mutual May be able to assist.

frodo_monkey

593 posts

137 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Glad I can finally join in at my new house! Been in since last Sep, but the existing garage wasn’t quite up to scratch - crappy prefab, knackered door, faced the wrong way and was on a concrete slab about 18” high with a steep ramp:

https://flic.kr/p/2fnx5Mx
View from the road

https://flic.kr/p/2egA14W
View from the side of the house

Sold the garage for £50, buyer dismantled it. Meanwhile popped in planning for a garage 2.5 cars wide by 1.5 cars deep (approx 8x7m); has to get planning permission as we live in an AONB.

Foundations went in today:

https://flic.kr/p/2ewEDZZ

https://flic.kr/p/Sa4FuD

More to come as the build progresses!

zippyonline

284 posts

107 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Muncher said:
Home Protect cover mine, around £40,-50k for the garage itself and about £20k worth of contents.
Storer said:
NFU Mutual May be able to assist.
Thanks both - I've gone for an M&S policy which covers the garage and outbuildings to the same value of contents etc. to the same as the house.

Muncher - been watching your house build thread over the past few years, and the recent garage has been interesting. I actually befriended you on FB to catch up on the photos - I work in Ipswich actually. Top work, wouldn't mind having a real life snoop at some point (although we're a bit busy at the moment with he move!).

zippyonline

284 posts

107 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
frodo_monkey said:
Glad I can finally join in at my new house! Been in since last Sep, but the existing garage wasn’t quite up to scratch - crappy prefab, knackered door, faced the wrong way and was on a concrete slab about 18” high with a steep ramp:

https://flic.kr/p/2fnx5Mx
View from the road

https://flic.kr/p/2egA14W
View from the side of the house

Sold the garage for £50, buyer dismantled it. Meanwhile popped in planning for a garage 2.5 cars wide by 1.5 cars deep (approx 8x7m); has to get planning permission as we live in an AONB.

Foundations went in today:

https://flic.kr/p/2ewEDZZ

https://flic.kr/p/Sa4FuD

More to come as the build progresses!
That's got potential (well the plot has!). Keep us posted :-)