RE: SOTW: E21 BMW 316 / MX-5 sold

RE: SOTW: E21 BMW 316 / MX-5 sold

Author
Discussion

2 Wycked

2,335 posts

229 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
That E21 is painfully cool.

Eno

1 posts

172 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
Hey that is my car!! Didn't even know it was on this site. While it is only a 4 cylinder it does have some good potenial to be tuned up with twin DCOE available for it and plenty of room under the bonnet to work on it.

ureile

99 posts

214 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
pSyCoSiS said:
I do like the E21s - yet to own one.

Would love a 323i, those twin pipes do it for me!

True what people have said, they're not really classics in the same way, say, an E30 is.

But, they do have a good following, and are very rare sights on the roads, therefore, deserve a good amount of respect.

Well done SOTW
The 323i was exepionally fun to drive. But let me give you one advice. The first series of them suffered under heat related cracks in the cylinderhead. So make an intensive inspection of your desired car and check the head for tightness.

Uwe

traffman

2,263 posts

207 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
For pocket money on a sunday i used to wash my mates dads car.

It was the same colour although i wished it was the bigger engine in it.

Twas crusty round the edges and thats going back to 1984 aswell , but was a great looking machine.


djt100

1,734 posts

183 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
Why is there not a SHED section in the PH Classifieds... Surely this is an oversight

tHeLoCuSt

5 posts

172 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
djt100 said:
Why is there not a SHED section in the PH Classifieds... Surely this is an oversight
there is?

E21_Ross

34,668 posts

210 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
Beirut Taxi said:
JayMan said:
I like BMWs and have 2 myself but the jury is out on this one.

Its definately a classic and looks good but im not sure it has the 'fun factor'?

Maybe im being harsh?
One of these was a PH shed of the week in May 2008, my friend and PH member E21 Ross saw the BMW badge and just had to buy it.

He was kind enough to allow me to drive it, it's interesting, hard and rewarding to drive.

Weber carb was the best upgrade he has done, for something with 100bhp it doesn't half move (it only weighs 1000kg)

Trust me, worth every penny. I am not sure why you think it lacks the "fun" factor?


Just be very careful in the wet, that rear end snaps sideways a bit suddenly. Justs adds to the challenge and experience though in my opinion.
and i used to think it was just the badge which made it fun to drive...turns out, even one without bmw badges on it still drives like one with a bmw badge on it apparently tongue out i'll admit that to some extent i did buy it because it was a bmw, but not because of bmw snob appeal, but because they have a reputation for making good small fun saloon cars back in the day. it turns out they did, it's good fun when you get to know it.

matbat

771 posts

243 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
djt100 said:
Why is there not a SHED section in the PH Classifieds... Surely this is an oversight
There is, under the "boring stuff" section.

See Linky - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=578

BrabusMog

20,042 posts

184 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
Crikey, SOTW always seems to bring a lurker out of the woodwork!

OllieWinchester

5,635 posts

190 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
pSyCoSiS said:
I do like the E21s -
True what people have said, they're not really classics in the same way, say, an E30 is.
confused

How can an E21 be less of a classic than an E30?

willE36

447 posts

177 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
I was under the impression that E21s over 2L / 6 cyls received twin headlamps?
An E21 showed up at Uni this term in the same colour, but single headlamps. Really wanted one, but figured maintenance costs would be prohibitive, me being a student and all... Love mine to bits though
And for the record, great SOTW. Was bound to be, being a BMW and all, but being an E21, in pretty good nick, is even better.

= )

minimatt1967

17,084 posts

204 months

Friday 2nd October 2009
quotequote all
great looking little car, just need the addition of a nice M50 2.5/2.8 24valve lump to give it some serious sleeper cred!

Belfast Boy

855 posts

180 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
Jeffmaniac said:
Yeah, thought it was about the same one as Garlick wanted.

Better than last week SOTW.
Hmm not so sure?

nav p

324 posts

185 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
willE36 said:
I was under the impression that E21s over 2L / 6 cyls received twin headlamps?
An E21 showed up at Uni this term in the same colour, but single headlamps. Really wanted one, but figured maintenance costs would be prohibitive, me being a student and all... Love mine to bits though
And for the record, great SOTW. Was bound to be, being a BMW and all, but being an E21, in pretty good nick, is even better.

= )
6 Cylinders all got Quad lights...4 Cylinder two.
In europe they did a 315!

In my view a silver 323i E21 looks better that the E30...and i have never owned either!

tHeLoCuSt

5 posts

172 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
i bought this earlier! haha smile

matchmaker

8,440 posts

198 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
nav p said:
willE36 said:
I was under the impression that E21s over 2L / 6 cyls received twin headlamps?
An E21 showed up at Uni this term in the same colour, but single headlamps. Really wanted one, but figured maintenance costs would be prohibitive, me being a student and all... Love mine to bits though
And for the record, great SOTW. Was bound to be, being a BMW and all, but being an E21, in pretty good nick, is even better.

= )
6 Cylinders all got Quad lights...4 Cylinder two.
Wrong! 316 & 318 two headlights. All others quad.

pSyCoSiS

3,576 posts

203 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
OllieWinchester said:
pSyCoSiS said:
I do like the E21s -
True what people have said, they're not really classics in the same way, say, an E30 is.
confused

How can an E21 be less of a classic than an E30?
Errm, look at the types of money that E30s command these days?

Yes the E21s are a classic car, but not on a classic level like the E30, which has a much larger following.

Maybe it's because there aren't as many E21s around, I'm not sure.

But, good examples of E30 Sports are fetching aleast over £3k, and I saw an E30 M3 Evo the other week going for over £25k! You'll never see E21 going for such a high price.

Yeh, the odd 323i might be £4k ish, but that's they are few and far between.

I am in no way knocking the E21, I love them and thoroughly respect them.

pSyCoSiS

3,576 posts

203 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
2 Wycked said:
That E21 is painfully cool.
Aii !!

pSyCoSiS

3,576 posts

203 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
matchmaker said:
nav p said:
willE36 said:
I was under the impression that E21s over 2L / 6 cyls received twin headlamps?
An E21 showed up at Uni this term in the same colour, but single headlamps. Really wanted one, but figured maintenance costs would be prohibitive, me being a student and all... Love mine to bits though
And for the record, great SOTW. Was bound to be, being a BMW and all, but being an E21, in pretty good nick, is even better.

= )
6 Cylinders all got Quad lights...4 Cylinder two.
Wrong! 316 & 318 two headlights. All others quad.
So he's right then???!!! 316 and 318 are 4 pots? And the 'others' are 6 pots, with quad lamps, therefore, how is he wrong??!

pSyCoSiS

3,576 posts

203 months

Saturday 3rd October 2009
quotequote all
quote=tHeLoCuSt]i bought this earlier! haha smile
[/quote]

You bought this actual one? Nice one mate and congratulations!

That's one kool looking bit of kit !