Show off your GT, past and present...

Show off your GT, past and present...

Author
Discussion

Slippydiff

10,332 posts

164 months

Thursday 18th April
quotequote all
How much for the Manthey KW’s ?

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Thursday 18th April
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
I bet they were !! And had you expressed ANY interest whatsoever, you’d have rapidly moved onto the Manthey KW’s hehe

When you ramps Digs, did you mean THE ramp? ? I ask as your post indicated your 997 diff doesn’t have ramps already fitted ??
I once asked about help to install a set of nitron race suspension I already had....yes, you've guessed it, the conversation quickly evolved into 'you don't want nitron, you want a set of KWs'....'but I already have the nitrons'....'yes, but KWs....' biggrin

Bless.

D.no

300 posts

153 months

Thursday 18th April
quotequote all
LaSource said:
Thanks smile

Usually a Nikon full frame DSLR - used to be a D600, now a D750. Most photos are with the accompanying kit lenses. However on the Iberia trip I tend to hire a couple of additional lenses for fun. The photo you referred to was taken with a wide angle 14-24mm f2.8 lens.
Brilliant. Thanks.



Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Thursday 18th April
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
How much for the Manthey KW’s ?
It was a bit like over rev on a 996; I didn't recall the actual amount, just that it was "over £5k" IIRC. This around the same time as Mrs Digga decided we are going back to Barbados again this year... it kind blended into the "file for another year" vaguest of memory banks.

RSVP911

6,463 posts

74 months

Thursday 18th April
quotequote all
Digga said:
Slippydiff said:
How much for the Manthey KW’s ?
It was a bit like over rev on a 996; I didn't recall the actual amount, just that it was "over £5k" IIRC. This around the same time as Mrs Digga decided we are going back to Barbados again this year... it kind blended into the "file for another year" vaguest of memory banks.
Got to say Barbados is very nice though smile
Advertisement

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Thursday 18th April
quotequote all
RSVP911 said:
Digga said:
Slippydiff said:
How much for the Manthey KW’s ?
It was a bit like over rev on a 996; I didn't recall the actual amount, just that it was "over £5k" IIRC. This around the same time as Mrs Digga decided we are going back to Barbados again this year... it kind blended into the "file for another year" vaguest of memory banks.
Got to say Barbados is very nice though smile
Yes. Usually think it's a good place late winter, when weather is at its grottiest here. Not been for a few years, but then some friends have 'landmark' birthdays later this year, so off for a later summer break. Mrs Digga did not take much persuading and, to be totally fair, I am in no position to question any expense. biggrin

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Tuesday 23rd April
quotequote all
Steve Rance said:
Lovely upgrade. It will make a big difference. Please report back on your perspective
So... unfortunately, the rear tyres were close enough to being worn that I decided to bite the (even more expensive) bullet and get a new pair, so I could get the geometry re-set at the same time.

This meant the first few miles were extremely squirrelly as the release agent on the tyres wore off. The odd time I got space to use the car, it felt a lot more abrupt with the lift-off oversteer than it used to; not unlike a TVR. Given that I'm not really into 'exploring limits' on public roads and that the next track I'm at is the Nordschleife, what should I be expecting?

isaldiri

4,496 posts

109 months

Tuesday 23rd April
quotequote all
Digga said:
So... unfortunately, the rear tyres were close enough to being worn that I decided to bite the (even more expensive) bullet and get a new pair, so I could get the geometry re-set at the same time.

This meant the first few miles were extremely squirrelly as the release agent on the tyres wore off. The odd time I got space to use the car, it felt a lot more abrupt with the lift-off oversteer than it used to; not unlike a TVR. Given that I'm not really into 'exploring limits' on public roads and that the next track I'm at is the Nordschleife, what should I be expecting?
That's interesting. I couldn't notice anything on the road when i had my diff changed. On track there was a difference though, the sense that the rear brakes were doing 'something' went away and I think I could lean harder on the car trailbraking into a corner to get it turned. Might be a placebo thing though knowing I did have something changed hehe

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Tuesday 23rd April
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
Digga said:
So... unfortunately, the rear tyres were close enough to being worn that I decided to bite the (even more expensive) bullet and get a new pair, so I could get the geometry re-set at the same time.

This meant the first few miles were extremely squirrelly as the release agent on the tyres wore off. The odd time I got space to use the car, it felt a lot more abrupt with the lift-off oversteer than it used to; not unlike a TVR. Given that I'm not really into 'exploring limits' on public roads and that the next track I'm at is the Nordschleife, what should I be expecting?
That's interesting. I couldn't notice anything on the road when i had my diff changed. On track there was a difference though, the sense that the rear brakes were doing 'something' went away and I think I could lean harder on the car trailbraking into a corner to get it turned. Might be a placebo thing though knowing I did have something changed hehe
Thanks. Pretty sure it was the tyres - the release agent - which made itself apparent. It was overtaking slow stuff and crossing the camber of the road at the same time as having to come off the throttle (speed limits, you know) and move back to the left of the road.

Probably need to go back to a track I know to get any real impressions.

Steve Rance

4,928 posts

172 months

Tuesday 23rd April
quotequote all
Try not to lift anywhere in a 911 - especially a GT3. The diff is set up to lock under accelleration and braking. When you lift the diff will unlock and the car will immediately feel squirrely. As a rule, in a GT3 you should either be on the brakes or on the throttle when you are pushing on.

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Tuesday 23rd April
quotequote all
Steve Rance said:
Try not to lift anywhere in a 911 - especially a GT3. The diff is set up to lock under accelleration and braking. When you lift the diff will unlock and the car will immediately feel squirrely. As a rule, in a GT3 you should either be on the brakes or on the throttle when you are pushing on.
Yes, on track I would work that way, but on the road, there is the compromise of overtaking dawdlers doing 30-40 in a NSL and not wanting to suddenly be the wrong side of the speed limit. TVRs used to be horrendous for this, because they had such enormous engine braking.

Very much looking forward to getting it on track. In a perfect world, I'd go straight back to Oulton for a play, so I could establish a baseline.

RPTIME00

220 posts

88 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all

Geoffrey 321

220 posts

7 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all

lowndes

579 posts

155 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all


Following on from Digga’s discussion and with the obligatory photo to comply with the title of the thread could I ask for views on the following.

The 2010 car in the picture is at 44k miles and still on the original clutch. Clutch and gearbox control weights are typically 997.2 GT3, heavy but not excessively so. As regards the diff I assume that became effectively open many miles ago and by all reports the OEM part was a fairly ineffective affair even at the best of times. My original plan had been to wait for the clutch to pack up and then deal with both it and the diff at the same time. However, as the clutch seems to be soldiering on I may need to consider taking pre-emptive action. Matters further complicated because as I understand it the Motorsport diff is no longer available OEM. Car is still under Porsche warranty.

Out on the public road which accounts for 80% of my miles the “open” diff doesn’t give me any significant problems. However, braking hard into Stowe on a soaking circuit the day after weather caused the October Cup races to be cancelled both my instructor and I felt there was more instability than was entirely desirable. I was on Cup 2 which probably didn’t help.

Clearly any way forward is likely to represent a compromise and all things considered should I just let sleeping dogs lie and wait until the clutch packs up before reconsidering options?. Views welcome.

Brisser

7 posts

225 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
A couple of shots of the 996 GT3 from the amazing Byblos Art Hotel in Verona, Italy
Great driving there and back from Munich






Edited by Brisser on Wednesday 24th April 11:06

Mitch911

169 posts

110 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
lowndes said:


Following on from Digga’s discussion and with the obligatory photo to comply with the title of the thread could I ask for views on the following.

The 2010 car in the picture is at 44k miles and still on the original clutch. Clutch and gearbox control weights are typically 997.2 GT3, heavy but not excessively so. As regards the diff I assume that became effectively open many miles ago and by all reports the OEM part was a fairly ineffective affair even at the best of times. My original plan had been to wait for the clutch to pack up and then deal with both it and the diff at the same time. However, as the clutch seems to be soldiering on I may need to consider taking pre-emptive action. Matters further complicated because as I understand it the Motorsport diff is no longer available OEM. Car is still under Porsche warranty.

Out on the public road which accounts for 80% of my miles the “open” diff doesn’t give me any significant problems. However, braking hard into Stowe on a soaking circuit the day after weather caused the October Cup races to be cancelled both my instructor and I felt there was more instability than was entirely desirable. I was on Cup 2 which probably didn’t help.

Clearly any way forward is likely to represent a compromise and all things considered should I just let sleeping dogs lie and wait until the clutch packs up before reconsidering options?. Views welcome.
My experience isn't entirely comparable (996.2) but the improvement from rebuilding a worn original diff with the Cup plates was a huge improvement on track. In a single change, took it from borderline nasty on track to the car it should be. I would not wait if you track it at all, and if you drive good roads, I would want the stability in case you find you've over committed somewhere.

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
Mitch911 said:
lowndes said:


Following on from Digga’s discussion and with the obligatory photo to comply with the title of the thread could I ask for views on the following.

The 2010 car in the picture is at 44k miles and still on the original clutch. Clutch and gearbox control weights are typically 997.2 GT3, heavy but not excessively so. As regards the diff I assume that became effectively open many miles ago and by all reports the OEM part was a fairly ineffective affair even at the best of times. My original plan had been to wait for the clutch to pack up and then deal with both it and the diff at the same time. However, as the clutch seems to be soldiering on I may need to consider taking pre-emptive action. Matters further complicated because as I understand it the Motorsport diff is no longer available OEM. Car is still under Porsche warranty.

Out on the public road which accounts for 80% of my miles the “open” diff doesn’t give me any significant problems. However, braking hard into Stowe on a soaking circuit the day after weather caused the October Cup races to be cancelled both my instructor and I felt there was more instability than was entirely desirable. I was on Cup 2 which probably didn’t help.

Clearly any way forward is likely to represent a compromise and all things considered should I just let sleeping dogs lie and wait until the clutch packs up before reconsidering options?. Views welcome.
My experience isn't entirely comparable (996.2) but the improvement from rebuilding a worn original diff with the Cup plates was a huge improvement on track. In a single change, took it from borderline nasty on track to the car it should be. I would not wait if you track it at all, and if you drive good roads, I would want the stability in case you find you've over committed somewhere.
Mine was a bit lively under power, exiting corners in the wet at Oulton in March. Can I expect it to be a bit more progressive on the power then?

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
Digga said:
ine was a bit lively under power, exiting corners in the wet at Oulton in March. Can I expect it to be a bit more progressive on the power then?
Only one way to find out wink

hunter 66

2,624 posts

161 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all


15 years ago ...

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
Brisser said:
A couple of shots of the 996 GT3 from the amazing Byblos Art Hotel in Verona, Italy
Great driving there and back from Munich






Edited by Brisser on Wednesday 24th April 11:06
Lovely car. I have a soft spot for silver 996's.