Show off your GT, past and present...

Show off your GT, past and present...

Author
Discussion

lowndes

579 posts

155 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
hunter 66 said:


15 years ago ...
8 years ago


ttdan

946 posts

134 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
lowndes said:


Following on from Digga’s discussion and with the obligatory photo to comply with the title of the thread could I ask for views on the following.

The 2010 car in the picture is at 44k miles and still on the original clutch. Clutch and gearbox control weights are typically 997.2 GT3, heavy but not excessively so. As regards the diff I assume that became effectively open many miles ago and by all reports the OEM part was a fairly ineffective affair even at the best of times. My original plan had been to wait for the clutch to pack up and then deal with both it and the diff at the same time. However, as the clutch seems to be soldiering on I may need to consider taking pre-emptive action. Matters further complicated because as I understand it the Motorsport diff is no longer available OEM. Car is still under Porsche warranty.

Out on the public road which accounts for 80% of my miles the “open” diff doesn’t give me any significant problems. However, braking hard into Stowe on a soaking circuit the day after weather caused the October Cup races to be cancelled both my instructor and I felt there was more instability than was entirely desirable. I was on Cup 2 which probably didn’t help.

Clearly any way forward is likely to represent a compromise and all things considered should I just let sleeping dogs lie and wait until the clutch packs up before reconsidering options?. Views welcome.
The clutch fork will most likely give up before the clutch plates, these are made by Lindt and imported from CH especially..you current mileage indicates you are “due”. You really don’t want that to go as it very inconvenient and opens up opportunity for further damage with parts flying about in there. At 44k and if it’s feeling a bit stodgy I’d be considering that sooner than later. Plus it makes the car much nicer to drive.

For the cost of the diff plates and the opportunity for a ‘box oil change possibly worth doing but road driving you won’t notice much difference apart from annoying grumbles and potentially some unwanted slow speed understeer.

Not sure how Porsche’s warranty dept know what diff plates you’re using so wouldn’t worry about that personally.

lowndes

579 posts

155 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
Mitch911 said:
My experience isn't entirely comparable (996.2) but the improvement from rebuilding a worn original diff with the Cup plates was a huge improvement on track. In a single change, took it from borderline nasty on track to the car it should be. I would not wait if you track it at all, and if you drive good roads, I would want the stability in case you find you've over committed somewhere.
ttdan said:
The clutch fork will most likely give up before the clutch plates, these are made by Lindt and imported from CH especially..you current mileage indicates you are “due”. You really don’t want that to go as it very inconvenient and opens up opportunity for further damage with parts flying about in there. At 44k and if it’s feeling a bit stodgy I’d be considering that sooner than later. Plus it makes the car much nicer to drive.

For the cost of the diff plates and the opportunity for a ‘box oil change possibly worth doing but road driving you won’t notice much difference apart from annoying grumbles and potentially some unwanted slow speed understeer.

Not sure how Porsche’s warranty dept know what diff plates you’re using so wouldn’t worry about that personally.
Thanks to both for your considered and helpful advice. On the basis that prevention is better than cure, I'll plan on doing both clutch and diff sooner rather than later. beer

Slippydiff

10,332 posts

164 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
lowndes said:
Thanks to both for your considered and helpful advice. On the basis that prevention is better than cure, I'll plan on doing both clutch and diff sooner rather than later. beer
Many (most ?) aren't aware that the 'box doesn't need removing to replace the diff plate pack ...

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Wednesday 24th April
quotequote all
lowndes said:
Thanks to both for your considered and helpful advice. On the basis that prevention is better than cure, I'll plan on doing both clutch and diff sooner rather than later. beer
So sad story is that on a 4 day track trip (2 days at Ascari and 2 days at Portimao), the centre plate on my 7.2rs clutch broke on the morning of day 2 on the way to the circuit (on public roads). Screwed up the whole trip.

This on a 10k miler car. The early clutch plates on the 3.8rs have a design fault which was later rectified in the 4.0rs clutches and the 3.8rs parts superseded. I believe the same problem does not exist on the 7.2gt3 but the moral of the story remains.

I would recommend pre-emptive change.
Advertisement

lowndes

579 posts

155 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
Slippydiff said:
Many (most ?) aren't aware that the 'box doesn't need removing to replace the diff plate pack ...
LaSource said:
So sad story is that on a 4 day track trip (2 days at Ascari and 2 days at Portimao), the centre plate on my 7.2rs clutch broke on the morning of day 2 on the way to the circuit (on public roads). Screwed up the whole trip.

This on a 10k miler car. The early clutch plates on the 3.8rs have a design fault which was later rectified in the 4.0rs clutches and the 3.8rs parts superseded. I believe the same problem does not exist on the 7.2gt3 but the moral of the story remains.

I would recommend pre-emptive change.
Phone call to be made later today. Thank you Gentlemen both. PH at it's best and further evidence that it's not all deviated stitching on here.

Digga

26,773 posts

224 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
lowndes said:
Slippydiff said:
Many (most ?) aren't aware that the 'box doesn't need removing to replace the diff plate pack ...
LaSource said:
So sad story is that on a 4 day track trip (2 days at Ascari and 2 days at Portimao), the centre plate on my 7.2rs clutch broke on the morning of day 2 on the way to the circuit (on public roads). Screwed up the whole trip.

This on a 10k miler car. The early clutch plates on the 3.8rs have a design fault which was later rectified in the 4.0rs clutches and the 3.8rs parts superseded. I believe the same problem does not exist on the 7.2gt3 but the moral of the story remains.

I would recommend pre-emptive change.
Phone call to be made later today. Thank you Gentlemen both. PH at it's best and further evidence that it's not all deviated stitching on here.
You can't stitch chocolate.

Just saying. biggrin

isaldiri

4,496 posts

109 months

Friday 3rd May
quotequote all
Picture of the car out and about at last this year courtesy of a fellow PHer that I'm pinching his link for. He's quite the dab hand at this photo lark wink




Taffy66

2,360 posts

43 months

Friday 3rd May
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
Picture of the car out and about at last this year courtesy of a fellow PHer that I'm pinching his link for. He's quite the dab hand at this photo lark wink

Best car ever made and will never be repeated due to ever stricter legislation.

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
Picture of the car out and about at last this year courtesy of a fellow PHer that I'm pinching his link for. He's quite the dab hand at this photo lark wink

...and pretty it was too!







Edited by LaSource on Sunday 5th May 19:58

paralla

986 posts

76 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all



champ19ns

113 posts

42 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
I believe a forum members car

5 months in and loving every minute/mile. Added a Bypass Pipe - incredible noise and great to have a manual again!


RDMcG

13,114 posts

148 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
First day out for the old warhorse - been a long winter in Canada.........


MDMA .

4,725 posts

42 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
Sunday at the local meet (not mine).


LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
MDMA . said:
Sunday at the local meet (not mine).

They are beautiful... wink

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Spa this week....

Sunny, dry, perfect!

Swapping tyres over at 'my' hotel smile
Tried some slicks for the first time....omg, what a ride! smile




Track was perfect...a friend took the car out for a spin so provided a rare opportunity to take some track side photos.







It was also nice to see plenty of 996 GT3s there. We had some 6+ 996s in the pitlane including a Manthey special (badged from factory) and a 996RS

Edited by LaSource on Wednesday 15th May 23:27

Porsche911R

16,494 posts

206 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
LaSource said:
Spa this week....





including a Manthey special (badged from factory)

[]
the MR 4.2 523BHP 996 :-) that's a magic thing.

LaSource

2,229 posts

149 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
the MR 4.2 523BHP 996 :-) that's a magic thing.
Ah - no, not than one smile

One of these...they got shipped from factory to MR for a suite of upgrades (suspension, K410 kit, exhaust, brakes, aero/cooling, etc maybe some tuning but no engine capacity increase) and then sold by Manthey with manthey badges etc. I'm not 100% sure but believe the German reg documents may have listed it as a MR car.


TDT

1,366 posts

60 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
LaSource said:
Always the artist, eh!!!!

TDT

1,366 posts

60 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
LaSource said:
Ah - no, not than one smile

One of these...they got shipped from factory to MR for a suite of upgrades (suspension, K410 kit, exhaust, brakes, aero/cooling, etc maybe some tuning but no engine capacity increase) and then sold by Manthey with manthey badges etc. I'm not 100% sure but believe the German reg documents may have listed it as a MR car.

Wow, special.