Cayman R Chat

Cayman R Chat

Author
Discussion

Porsche911R

17,291 posts

210 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
911jon said:
Very interesting options gents, many thanks.

What none of the manufacturers seem to offer though is before and after dyno runs (for power AND torque). I am always highly suspicious of 'performance' exhaust systems; many reduce torque for the sake of a few bhp at the very top.

Manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on exhaust development; it isn't necessarily easy to beat OEM performance, though there is the possibility that Porsche deliberately strangled the 3.4 a bit with the 911 in mind. The 997 Carrera 2 3.6 was 245bhp. Maybe they didn't want to challenge that at the time.

I will drive it as it is until I feel that I know it well, then make some decisions on whether to change things. SS probably the first thing.
back box will give you 5bhp at best.

the power comes from changing out the manifolds from 4 x 400 cel cats to 2x200 cel cats.

the kine is about £4k but they also do a steel one as well as the sexy stuff.

frayz

1,311 posts

104 months

Friday 16th August
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
back box will give you 5bhp at best.

the power comes from changing out the manifolds from 4 x 400 cel cats to 2x200 cel cats.

the kine is about £4k but they also do a steel one as well as the sexy stuff.
Agree with the above.
£4K isn't bad considering the cost/manufacture of that system.

911jon

15 posts

76 months

Tuesday 20th August
quotequote all
Very useful input, many thanks all.

I'm going to start with a dyno run. I know a chap nearby with a MAHA. Anything I decide to do to the car in the future will be subjected to a re-test, one upgrade at a time.

My first priority is the tyres. It's on a set of fairly nasty P Zeros (cracked and old) that may well be the originals that the car was supplied on in 2011. I'm thinking Michelin PS4s (non N-rated), from reading around the PistonHeads forum.

The car really is a delight to drive. I'm finding no issues with the ride; my Alfa GT V6 is less compliant.

One question: The car is reluctant to start when cold. The dash displays "depress clutch" even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. The previous owner changed the sensor switch at the end of last year, but the issue is still presenting itself. After a few tries, the car starts. Very odd. Has anyone encountered something similar?

Porsche911R

17,291 posts

210 months

Tuesday 20th August
quotequote all
911jon said:
Very useful input, many thanks all.

I'm going to start with a dyno run. I know a chap nearby with a MAHA. Anything I decide to do to the car in the future will be subjected to a re-test, one upgrade at a time.

My first priority is the tyres. It's on a set of fairly nasty P Zeros (cracked and old) that may well be the originals that the car was supplied on in 2011. I'm thinking Michelin PS4s (non N-rated), from reading around the PistonHeads forum.

The car really is a delight to drive. I'm finding no issues with the ride; my Alfa GT V6 is less compliant.

One question: The car is reluctant to start when cold. The dash displays "depress clutch" even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. The previous owner changed the sensor switch at the end of last year, but the issue is still presenting itself. After a few tries, the car starts. Very odd. Has anyone encountered something similar?
buy a Bosche S4 battery and remove the clutch microswitch. cars still I bet got a Mol in there and the clutch switch is just an arse.

frayz

1,311 posts

104 months

Tuesday 20th August
quotequote all
As above bin off the clutch switch.
Hateful things smile

PaulD86

859 posts

71 months

Wednesday 21st August
quotequote all
For the uninformed, what exactly needs to be done to be rid of the switch? Do you just need to disconnect it, or will that cuase problems?

frayz

1,311 posts

104 months

Wednesday 21st August
quotequote all
PaulD86 said:
For the uninformed, what exactly needs to be done to be rid of the switch? Do you just need to disconnect it, or will that cuase problems?
Single stage switch on top of the clutch pedal, has a pair of spade connectors in it. Remove the spades and connect them together via an auto fuse. Cover with electrical tape/heatshrink and safely zip tie out of the way.

If you wanted to get creative you could connect these to a hidden switch that makes it into a cheap, basic form of immobiliser. wink

Edited by frayz on Wednesday 21st August 15:52

911jon

15 posts

76 months

Wednesday 21st August
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
buy a Bosche S4 battery and remove the clutch microswitch. cars still I bet got a Mol in there and the clutch switch is just an arse.
Thanks 911R, the battery has been replaced with a 'Dynamic' Silver 80Ah (a UK brand I am not familiar with). Looks recent but is not dated.

I will try the clutch switch removal; I am not a fan of the nannying nature of these devices anyway. If the problem persists I will have the battery tested or replaced.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, frayz. I was indeed assuming that I would need to just connect the terminals together.


Porsche911R

17,291 posts

210 months

Wednesday 21st August
quotequote all
911jon said:
Thanks 911R, the battery has been replaced with a 'Dynamic' Silver 80Ah (a UK brand I am not familiar with). Looks recent but is not dated.

I will try the clutch switch removal; I am not a fan of the nannying nature of these devices anyway. If the problem persists I will have the battery tested or replaced.

Thanks for the detailed instructions, frayz. I was indeed assuming that I would need to just connect the terminals together.
I found out the bad way and stalled at a round about and then could not start the car !!

not easy in todays age of drivers when you have a stuck car on the exit to a round about, no one helps you push it just every one beeping or laughing at you. Lucky there are still some people who will get out and give you a push...

911jon

15 posts

76 months

Wednesday 21st August
quotequote all
Driver courtesy is indeed a scarce commodity of late. I’ll try not to break down until I have fitted the rocker switch I ordered. Actually, the starting issue was absent today. Maybe the battery just needed some charge?

I took the R out today and had a first really spirited drive in it. Sublime; a scalpel of a car. It feels new. The engine sounded fantastic even through my extra-basic standard exhaust. Plenty quick enough for the road.

s3 akr

168 posts

98 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
911jon said:
Plenty quick enough for the road.
I'd agree on this 100%. I think a car has to be capable and entertaining, but also accessible on the road. So many quicker cars' capabilities are just not accessible enough of the time on the roads. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't find roads for certain cars, but what if you don't want to, or don't have time to go finding those special roads and just want a quick blast on those local and nearby ? For me, that's one of the places where this car slots in perfectly (as would many other cars too). If a car fits into your life easily, it gets used all the more and gets under your skin much more readily. Those special, searched out roads become even more special too!

frayz

1,311 posts

104 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
s3 akr said:
I'd agree on this 100%. I think a car has to be capable and entertaining, but also accessible on the road. So many quicker cars' capabilities are just not accessible enough of the time on the roads. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't find roads for certain cars, but what if you don't want to, or don't have time to go finding those special roads and just want a quick blast on those local and nearby ? For me, that's one of the places where this car slots in perfectly (as would many other cars too). If a car fits into your life easily, it gets used all the more and gets under your skin much more readily. Those special, searched out roads become even more special too!
Bang on,

I came from a extremely focused and big bhp Subaru Impreza and the areas to use it on the road to any kind of potential were few and far between. Even with the Cayman some 250bhp short on power, the R is just such a peach of a sports car. And if the 2 were side by side, i know id be getting in the silly green one every time smile

I don't usually, but seeing as the sun is out, i've driven mine to work again today.
Every time i get in mine, it feels like an event, and it only takes a few medium paced corners before you remember just how special they feel.

I honestly cant see what could replace it for driving enjoyment.

Rsx Boy

82 posts

84 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
A beautifully priced car here.....
If you want a pdk.

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/...

PaulD86

859 posts

71 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
frayz said:
Bang on,

I came from a extremely focused and big bhp Subaru Impreza and the areas to use it on the road to any kind of potential were few and far between. Even with the Cayman some 250bhp short on power, the R is just such a peach of a sports car. And if the 2 were side by side, i know id be getting in the silly green one every time smile

I don't usually, but seeing as the sun is out, i've driven mine to work again today.
Every time i get in mine, it feels like an event, and it only takes a few medium paced corners before you remember just how special they feel.

I honestly cant see what could replace it for driving enjoyment.
I also came from an Impreza, albeit not one with anything like the power of yours. Mine was apparently around 350bhp ish. Although it felt quicker so may have been more. The problem with it was that it only felt exciting at really stupid speeds and levels of comitment - it was happy driven slow or happy driven flat out. It didn't like anything inbetween. It was also a bit of a blunt instrument. Lots of grip and power but not so big on finesse.

The R is so delicate by comparrison. It's nice to drive at any speed. And the running costs are miles lower. And people don't look at you like a boy racer in it.

Suns out so I think when work finishes I'll be heading for the keys biggrin

Joehow

236 posts

60 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
Whilst the R is an amazing road car and I do love mine. I would still swap back to my 996 GT3 in a heartbeat.

I would sometimes just sit in that car, it felt special in a way my R doesnt quite hit the mark.

The biggest difference though is that engine, the punch from 4k and noise was exceptional.

Don't get me wrong the R is brilliant and a wonderful sports car and I am super happy to own one - its better than my Cayman GTS and 981 Spyder but the gt3 is still firmly top of the tree for me.


Porsche911R

17,291 posts

210 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
Joehow said:
Whilst the R is an amazing road car and I do love mine. I would still swap back to my 996 GT3 in a heartbeat.

I would sometimes just sit in that car, it felt special in a way my R doesnt quite hit the mark.

The biggest difference though is that engine, the punch from 4k and noise was exceptional.

Don't get me wrong the R is brilliant and a wonderful sports car and I am super happy to own one - its better than my Cayman GTS and 981 Spyder but the gt3 is still firmly top of the tree for me.
mmm punch In a 996 GT3 from 4k !!! I think the memory is warped :-p

Joehow

236 posts

60 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
mmm punch In a 996 GT3 from 4k !!! I think the memory is warped :-p
I drove one again the other day it picks up its skirt at just over 4k and starts running at about 5k.

Either way I love that car and miss it dearly. We can all agree to disagree can't we.

frayz

1,311 posts

104 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
Joehow said:
I drove one again the other day it picks up its skirt at just over 4k and starts running at about 5k.

Either way I love that car and miss it dearly. We can all agree to disagree can't we.
Something about that Mezger mechanical delivery that i think no other Porsche quite has, its pretty unique.

Having said that, and driving them back to back. i have never been disappointed getting back in my car after a stint in a 997 GT3.
But then again, im comparing a modified R to a stock GT product.

As far as the water cooled cars go, i do think the sound especially from the NA Mezger motors is pretty much unbeatable with bar the exception of the 991.2 GT motor.

Porsche911R

17,291 posts

210 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
Joehow said:
I drove one again the other day it picks up its skirt at just over 4k and starts running at about 5k.

Either way I love that car and miss it dearly. We can all agree to disagree can't we.
yep I can agree you loved the car :-), but not that it picks up at 4k revs, It's more like 5.5k. and 6k to start the fun hence great on track.

so we cannot agree to disagree there ;-) as that's the nature of the engine and why I sold mine pretty quick as it made a poor road car for me. The Megzer hype is over rated for road cars imo on PH, great on track where they rev out and keep making power, but they are dead at 4k esp in the older car with much less Bhp. Even c2S is faster to 70 odd due to the GT3 gearing !!

if you loved it, that's great, I respect that :-) , but the engines gutless at 4k really and was not design to be punchy at those revs. I get the thrill at >5.5k but it was too slow to cover ground to ever reach the sweet spot in 3rd gear on UK roads ;-(

I don't miss mine one bit ;-)

Joehow

236 posts

60 months

Friday 23rd August
quotequote all
Its hardly gutless.

Its not exactly like a Type R or 197/200 where its on or off.

I disagree on the gearing, i got more enjoyment from it on the road than my R as it feels special all of time - to me anyway. The R you need to push hard to get the same thrills thus delving further into license losing territory. Hence trackdays where the R can maybe be a little more fun as its less spiky than the GT3 and a piece of piss to drive.



This thing has both licked for on road thrills though.

Edited by Joehow on Friday 23 August 16:57