Premium Offered For My GT4

Premium Offered For My GT4

Author
Discussion

Taffy66

3,045 posts

50 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
there was no grip ! , it was dangerous, that was my point. even doing a U-turn at 4 mph the car understeered and pushed forward !!

any one who drives a car in that weather with cup 2 is not safe, I did not get above 40 mph or over 4k revs.

I did drive it last Saturday in the damp at 7oc it was ok did 100 miles. the extra rain and a few degree drop was a BIG change for the cup2's enough to be dangerous.
When i drove my 458 on MP4Ss last Thursday morning in torrential rain it was a revelation..I was so impressed with its wet and cold performance i'm now considering putting these same tyres in N spec on my new RS..Going ultra slowly to avoid a potential accident when driving an RS on Cups in cold wet conditions is no substitute to putting safer tyres on in the first place.

Porsche911R

17,879 posts

213 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
When i drove my 458 on MP4Ss last Thursday morning in torrential rain it was a revelation..I was so impressed with its wet and cold performance i'm now considering putting these same tyres in N spec on my new RS..Going ultra slowly to avoid a potential accident when driving an RS on Cups in cold wet conditions is no substitute to putting safer tyres on in the first place.
the PS4S in the wet defy physics :-)

one can drive with cups 2's on, but it would be stupid as there would be no avoiding a potential accident or situation if one happened within 50 foot of you lol !

we both got caught up in that weather Thursday !!! was horrendous.

I really do think my golf in the snow had more grip, than my GT3 did have last week.

I have been caught out in heavy rain on my Spa trip in the UK return, but I could do about 60mph up the M1, while not ideal it was not dangerous as you could drive to that although any long area's of standing water you did butt clench and I remember a few choice words when you loose all steering feel for a split second.

thelostboy

3,656 posts

173 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
NickUSA said:
3rd Flipped 718 GT4 has appeared, dealer near Lincoln

mad
Noticed that one.

When you say 'flipped' though, this suggests a profit is being made. Has anyone bothered to work out retail price versus what people are asking, factoring in a typical fee for SOR?

nudgerwilliams

161 posts

129 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
Porsche911R said:
there was no grip ! , it was dangerous, that was my point. even doing a U-turn at 4 mph the car understeered and pushed forward !!

any one who drives a car in that weather with cup 2 is not safe, I did not get above 40 mph or over 4k revs.

I did drive it last Saturday in the damp at 7oc it was ok did 100 miles. the extra rain and a few degree drop was a BIG change for the cup2's enough to be dangerous.
When i drove my 458 on MP4Ss last Thursday morning in torrential rain it was a revelation..I was so impressed with its wet and cold performance i'm now considering putting these same tyres in N spec on my new RS..Going ultra slowly to avoid a potential accident when driving an RS on Cups in cold wet conditions is no substitute to putting safer tyres on in the first place.
Spot on. Our Golf R was written off 10 days ago and two people needed hospital treatment when my wife hit a sudden snowstorm on summer tyres. Replacement Golf getting winter tyres fitted tomorrow. She wouldn't had had the accident if the car had appropriate tyres for the conditions she encountered. (No lasting damage to the two people, fortunately.)

_Superleggera_

1,950 posts

145 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
FocusRS3 said:
The Jzm car is how much over lost do you think ?

Crap spec too
15k. I think.

Taffy66

3,045 posts

50 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
nudgerwilliams said:
Spot on. Our Golf R was written off 10 days ago and two people needed hospital treatment when my wife hit a sudden snowstorm on summer tyres. Replacement Golf getting winter tyres fitted tomorrow. She wouldn't had had the accident if the car had appropriate tyres for the conditions she encountered. (No lasting damage to the two people, fortunately.)
Sorry to hear about this instance..For others to say its OK to drive on public roads in the wet and cold in a powerful sports car with inappropriate tyres is stupid IMO..Picture a child running across the road in front of you and you need to do an emergency stop and steering manoeuvre..The difference in the outcome on whether your GT3/458 was wearing Cups or MP4Ss doesn't bear thinking about !.
There are too many people on here who are wannabe racers with inflated egos IMO..The public highways deserves our full respect as it is full of unwanted and unexpected dangers lurking around corners.

Cheib

17,223 posts

123 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
A set of winter wheels and tyres is £4800 for a GT4 on the Porsche website....money well spent if you are going to use the car in the winter. Given the tyres are probably £1200 a set by Porsche standards the wheels aren’t ridiculously expensive.

isaldiri

5,029 posts

116 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Wow now "think of the children" gets trotted out. Goodness gracious. As bigmowley said earlier - drive to the conditions for your car/tyre combination. It really is as simple as that. And a PS4S can and will still aquaplane if one thinks you can drive with impunity on what is still ultimately a summer tyre.

Taffy66

3,045 posts

50 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
Wow now "think of the children" gets trotted out. Goodness gracious. As bigmowley said earlier - drive to the conditions for your car/tyre combination. It really is as simple as that. And a PS4S can and will still aquaplane if one thinks you can drive with impunity on what is still ultimately a summer tyre.
I can't help it if i take children running in front of a car on the road as a potential real life risk.
In terms of comparing Michelin Cups and MP4Ss in their wet roads emergency behaviour they're night and day IME and IMMHO..!

Edited by Taffy66 on Tuesday 19th November 14:01

Porsche911R

17,879 posts

213 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
I can't help it if i take children running in front of a car on the road as a potential real life risk.
In terms of comparing Michelin Cups and MP4Ss in their wet roads emergency behaviour they're night and day IME and IMMHO..!

Edited by Taffy66 on Tuesday 19th November 14:01
isaldiri is being a bit of a ***** all told.

PS4S is an amazing wet weather tyre and it would out brake a car on dry roads over cheap winter tyres on dry days.

when you live central you can get away with not running pure winter tyres as a PS4S will outperform a winter tyres 80% of the time any way.

unless you leave for work early or live in Scotland a PS4S will get you though and if it snows stay at home ;-)

A CUP 2 in winter in the wrong conditions is just irresponsible for the reasons given. As you cannot drive to be safe really.

isaldiri

5,029 posts

116 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
isaldiri is being a bit of a ***** all told.
rofl coming from you of all people that's a bit rich!

Yellow491

1,419 posts

67 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
biggrin;)biggrin
isaldiri said:
Porsche911R said:
isaldiri is being a bit of a ***** all told.
rofl coming from you of all people that's a bit rich!
Winter tyres go on the cayenne tomorow,first salt st on the roads,cars locked away.

JayK12

1,901 posts

150 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
I drove an Exige 410 at Silverstone at 9am on Cup2 tyres, it was very cold, and extremely wet. I thought the Cup2 did well, yeah we were sliding around but you just drove it to the conditions as mentioned.

My daily is RWD and is on PS4 which are also a summer tyre, I drive b roads and at 6am this morning at -1 degrees I drove it differently (smooter, no kick down etc) and it was fine, if i drove it like i would in the summer i'd be in a hedge.

I've had a daily with r888's, and the only tie i got stuck was when it snowed alot, and aquaplaning in heavy rain to which i slowed down and made it home alive.

I'm with isaldiri on this one, if your gonna drive like it's summer on any summer tyre in any car, in the UK at winter then expect the worst, unless your Tommi Makinen.

lemmingjames

5,895 posts

152 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Cheib said:
Handbag stayed firmly shut as we cruised round Silverstone with any attempt at pushing on met by a loss of traction.
So you had a choice of drifting (controlled sliding/driver control), someone elses car on a circuit and you passed on the opportunity?

bigmowley

612 posts

124 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Porsche911R said:
bigmowley said:
Porsche911R said:
there was no grip ! , it was dangerous, that was my point. even doing a U-turn at 4 mph the car understeered and pushed forward !!


Understeer at 4mph laugh laugh laugh I would have thought an expert like yourself would be fully conversant with an Ackerman geometry steering set up and it’s effect on tyre scrub. Try using a little less lock next time when conditions are so bad!

FTW

267 posts

124 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
bigmowley said:
Porsche911R said:
bigmowley said:
Porsche911R said:
there was no grip ! , it was dangerous, that was my point. even doing a U-turn at 4 mph the car understeered and pushed forward !!


Understeer at 4mph laugh laugh laugh I would have thought an expert like yourself would be fully conversant with an Ackerman geometry steering set up and it’s effect on tyre scrub. Try using a little less lock next time when conditions are so bad!
Or..... Full lock, both paddles in, rev to 8k, let go of paddles. Catch it at 180 degrees.

Hey-presto instant U-turn, no understeer, hero status achieved.

Edited by FTW on Tuesday 19th November 20:32

johnycarrera

1,833 posts

178 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Unfortunately MPS4S are not available N rated in GT4 sizes, hopefully they will be eventually (the rears are the problem)

I’ve never had any issues with cup 1 or 2 in winter, just need to slow down a bit and that was in old 911s with no traction control or anything, right foot and steering gently and they are fine..

Cheib

17,223 posts

123 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
lemmingjames said:
Cheib said:
Handbag stayed firmly shut as we cruised round Silverstone with any attempt at pushing on met by a loss of traction.
So you had a choice of drifting (controlled sliding/driver control), someone elses car on a circuit and you passed on the opportunity?
I was in my own car ... and I’d spent about three hours drifting it on the PEC ice hill and kick plate in the right environment to learn how to do it (with the aim of learning precise throttle control). Even if I was in a PEC car I wouldn’t really fancy drifting on a circuit where I’d been doing half the speed of everyone else and they had fk all grip if they needed to take evasive action. You on the other hand might do.

JayK12

1,901 posts

150 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Cheib said:
lemmingjames said:
Cheib said:
Handbag stayed firmly shut as we cruised round Silverstone with any attempt at pushing on met by a loss of traction.
So you had a choice of drifting (controlled sliding/driver control), someone elses car on a circuit and you passed on the opportunity?
I was in my own car ... and I’d spent about three hours drifting it on the PEC ice hill and kick plate in the right environment to learn how to do it (with the aim of learning precise throttle control). Even if I was in a PEC car I wouldn’t really fancy drifting on a circuit where I’d been doing half the speed of everyone else and they had fk all grip if they needed to take evasive action. You on the other hand might do.
Yeah I would do too, sounds like fun, and sounds like progression, can't stay on the kick plate forever.

lemmingjames

5,895 posts

152 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
JayK12 said:
Cheib said:
lemmingjames said:
Cheib said:
Handbag stayed firmly shut as we cruised round Silverstone with any attempt at pushing on met by a loss of traction.
So you had a choice of drifting (controlled sliding/driver control), someone elses car on a circuit and you passed on the opportunity?
I was in my own car ... and I’d spent about three hours drifting it on the PEC ice hill and kick plate in the right environment to learn how to do it (with the aim of learning precise throttle control). Even if I was in a PEC car I wouldn’t really fancy drifting on a circuit where I’d been doing half the speed of everyone else and they had fk all grip if they needed to take evasive action. You on the other hand might do.
Yeah I would do too, sounds like fun, and sounds like progression, can't stay on the kick plate forever.
I would as well, if the other drivers on circuit would be going fast enough to catch you then i dont think its the car itself in fault somehow. Either that or Cheib lucked out and was surrounded by driving gods on the day