718 GTS 4.0…

Author
Discussion

Rob P

5,749 posts

246 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
I don't have any of those noises, just the change in exhaust note when I hit the button.

When half the cylinders shut off, again all I hear is the exhaust note go very deep, no other associated sounds.

oscmax

150 posts

109 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
Rob P said:
I don't have any of those noises, just the change in exhaust note when I hit the button.
Me neither. We're missing out!

barchetta_boy

2,080 posts

214 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
Could be, but this is in Sport mode with stop-/start off. I thought that turned off cylinder deactivation?

CRB14

1,484 posts

134 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
barchetta_boy said:
Having put 4,000 miles on mine now, the car is crying out for an exhaust solution. Bear with me on this, there's a few bits to understand.

It's not that it isn't loud enough (although it isn't). I could live with that. It's the constant chirping, buzzing and weird electrical 'zirrp' noises caused by flaps opening and closing. Once you've noticed it, it really jars.

I have the Cargraphic valve solenoid kit which was about £400. I now run with valves closed (yes really) all the time, so I'm getting zero value from that, and should probably take it off and sell it. Valves open (which as stock, is the state with exhaust button pressed from 0-2k rpm and 4,500rpm+) the sound is louder but boomy and droney. Not nice.

So now I have manual control of the main exhaust flaps, I can keep them closed all the time. Under load, you get a nice collection of induction and engine noise, especially with the roof down - that's assuming you can find a road long and empty enough to rev the car out (82 mph in 2nd gear but that's another story and another problem).

But even with valves set to closed with the controller, there are evidently MORE valves which I can hear doing something. Put the car in 4th, just drive from 1,800rpm to above 2,000rpm gently, go up and down the rev range you'll hear an electric buzz/hum/zirp noise. Doing my head in now.

Anyone else got this?
I get the chirps and mechanical noises at very low revs, mostly when idling. I don't mind them at all.

I do remember reading a poster on Rennlist (or something) saying he felt too embarrassed to drive the car because of it. I found that amusing

barchetta_boy

2,080 posts

214 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
But I'm not talking about idling, I obviously haven't explained it properly. I've got no problem with drivetrain chatter, my GT3 sounded like a bag of spanners at idle / low revs. It's very obviously an electronically controlled process and it's really offputting as it is clearly something that has been laid on top of the engine by a computer

Jefferson Steelflex

1,179 posts

81 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
cowboyengineer said:
kmpowell said:
cowboyengineer said:
Don't forget you've got OTR costs to go on top of that price also! That's one expensive Boxster!

Edited by cowboyengineer on Thursday 22 September 16:06
Well, I only live once. I won't be subject to the latest price increase so it will be slightly cheaper. Still less expensive then my 718 Spyder was, so that's a win. Got to think PTS paint is 7k.
Disappointing you couldn't spend another £201 and get to £20k in options. Still, impressive stuff.

Scoo555

13 posts

133 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
barchetta_boy said:
But I'm not talking about idling, I obviously haven't explained it properly. I've got no problem with drivetrain chatter, my GT3 sounded like a bag of spanners at idle / low revs. It's very obviously an electronically controlled process and it's really offputting as it is clearly something that has been laid on top of the engine by a computer
I know the noises you mean. I noticed them straight away on my new 4.0 GTS. Especially when tootling about. Soon forget about them or don’t hear them when pressing on 😊 Definitely didn’t have them on my previous 2.0 F4T.

Boxsterjon

62 posts

80 months

Friday 23rd September
quotequote all
Mick Dastardly said:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP64M8G1


Finally, build slot 16/10, delivery early December.

Not really arsed if we get it pre Christmas, if we don’t it’ll give us something to do in the new year.
Congratulations - good to hear that some Boxsters are coming through. Which OPC are you with?

Mick Dastardly

36 posts

6 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
Boxsterjon said:
Congratulations - good to hear that some Boxsters are coming through. Which OPC are you with?
Preston.

It’s been a rather frustrating process as when I ordered last July I was told I was number 3 on the list so delivery should be Q1 ‘22.

Can’t fault my salesperson personally but I reckon I’ve been fed a whole load of porkies by the OPC management.


cowboyengineer

1,214 posts

96 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
I ordered April last year. And looks like you’ll get yours first. I know that mine is only the 3rd Boxster gts they have received since October last year.

Mick Dastardly

36 posts

6 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
cowboyengineer said:
I ordered April last year. And looks like you’ll get yours first. I know that mine is only the 3rd Boxster gts they have received since October last year.
That’s interesting to hear and makes me think maybe my OPC haven’t been overly disingenuous.

The cars going to be a keeper so I’m fairly relaxed about the delay, but likewise I’m a bit pissed off that list price has gone up nearly 3 grand since I ordered it.

rwillia2

26 posts

5 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
Mick Dastardly said:
That’s interesting to hear and makes me think maybe my OPC haven’t been overly disingenuous.

The cars going to be a keeper so I’m fairly relaxed about the delay, but likewise I’m a bit pissed off that list price has gone up nearly 3 grand since I ordered it.
Mine has always been fairly realistic with timescales - put my deposit down in Oct 21 and was always told Q3-Q4 22 and my sales advisor has always said Q4 was more realistic.

Now on Phase 3 and I sent my final spec in end of last week. Sales advisor sent me a PDF of the spec minus the latest £700 increase. I am peed off that the price has gone up with the MY23 change (and I think there was another hike earlier in the year), but not enough to cancel.

My main frustration has been with the removal of LED lights which were #1 on my list. This led me in a fit of pique to completely re spec the car with the minimum of options. This played on my mind to the point where I’ve reverted back to my original(ish) spec - which in my mind has everything on I could possibly want, minus LED.

I can’t say that I’m entirely comfortable with £12k in options but I plan for this to be a keeper, so I don’t want to feel a couple of years down the line that I have been ‘tight’.

My main leap of faith is going with Arctic Grey and the high gloss sports design package f/r and on the window trims without seeing it in the flesh….. I’ve watched some videos of the GT4RS and it seems to suit the car, but I figure it’s neutral enough to work.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do?userID=EG&amp...

cowboyengineer

1,214 posts

96 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
rwillia2 said:
Mine has always been fairly realistic with timescales - put my deposit down in Oct 21 and was always told Q3-Q4 22 and my sales advisor has always said Q4 was more realistic.

Now on Phase 3 and I sent my final spec in end of last week. Sales advisor sent me a PDF of the spec minus the latest £700 increase. I am peed off that the price has gone up with the MY23 change (and I think there was another hike earlier in the year), but not enough to cancel.

My main frustration has been with the removal of LED lights which were #1 on my list. This led me in a fit of pique to completely re spec the car with the minimum of options. This played on my mind to the point where I’ve reverted back to my original(ish) spec - which in my mind has everything on I could possibly want, minus LED.

I can’t say that I’m entirely comfortable with £12k in options but I plan for this to be a keeper, so I don’t want to feel a couple of years down the line that I have been ‘tight’.

My main leap of faith is going with Arctic Grey and the high gloss sports design package f/r and on the window trims without seeing it in the flesh….. I’ve watched some videos of the GT4RS and it seems to suit the car, but I figure it’s neutral enough to work.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do?userID=EG&amp...
I think that will look mega. LED lights were also my biggest concern but it is what it is.

matt21

4,125 posts

186 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
Was also gutted I couldn’t get LEDs, but glad to get the posh Xenon’s rather than basic. I’ve also convinced myself they look better…!

rwillia2

26 posts

5 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
matt21 said:
Was also gutted I couldn’t get LEDs, but glad to get the posh Xenon’s rather than basic. I’ve also convinced myself they look better…!
Ha, me too… I don’t think the LEDs had darkened glass but the posh Xenon’s do and seem to suit the car better… that’s what I’m telling myself anyway!

I think the standard ones look a bit naff.

matt21

4,125 posts

186 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
Btw is this my actual car or a library pic? It was build last week and these pictures appeared. Spec looks right. I don’t have a finished car picture on my Porsche though



cowboyengineer

1,214 posts

96 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
They will be your actual car.

I wish they could turn on the lights

scrounger73

29 posts

140 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
rwillia2 said:
Mine has always been fairly realistic with timescales - put my deposit down in Oct 21 and was always told Q3-Q4 22 and my sales advisor has always said Q4 was more realistic.

Now on Phase 3 and I sent my final spec in end of last week. Sales advisor sent me a PDF of the spec minus the latest £700 increase. I am peed off that the price has gone up with the MY23 change (and I think there was another hike earlier in the year), but not enough to cancel.

My main frustration has been with the removal of LED lights which were #1 on my list. This led me in a fit of pique to completely re spec the car with the minimum of options. This played on my mind to the point where I’ve reverted back to my original(ish) spec - which in my mind has everything on I could possibly want, minus LED.

I can’t say that I’m entirely comfortable with £12k in options but I plan for this to be a keeper, so I don’t want to feel a couple of years down the line that I have been ‘tight’.

My main leap of faith is going with Arctic Grey and the high gloss sports design package f/r and on the window trims without seeing it in the flesh….. I’ve watched some videos of the GT4RS and it seems to suit the car, but I figure it’s neutral enough to work.

https://cc.porsche.com/icc/ccCall.do?userID=EG&amp...
Nice build. Couple of pointers though if I may.

The gloss black additions may swirl up if you're not careful and I would consider having the intake scoops painted gloss black if you plan on keeping the gloss black options otherwise you'll have a mix of gloss and matte plastics.

Bose is a good option but bear in mind it is a noisy cabin.

scrounger73

29 posts

140 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
Mick Dastardly said:
Hi all, as a first time buyer of a new car from an OPC (BGTS OTR c.85k), I realise there’s no movement on price, but my saleswomen has said if I email her with a wish list of Porsche merch, she’ll do her best to get me some goodies, but as it’s mostly horrendously overpriced tat (over 4 grand for a few bits of luggagerolleyes) the only thing I can come up with is an outdoor car cover.

So my question is this: given you accepted paying list for your new Porsche, what sweeteners were you able to negotiate?

Thanks in advance.
Even if you were a regular customer you'll get zero discount on any model at the moment as demand is outstripping supply 10 fold. Current waiting times on 718 is around a year to 18 months. Many OPCs are 'managing expectations' on orders taken from now on. This is my second 718 from my OPC and tbh I didn't even bother asking for a discount as I didn't want to embarrass them with the reply 'its that price or we'll sell it to someone else'

On my first Porsche I asked (and received) the following:

Porsche Jacket, Flowers for the wife, Rubber carpet mats, Porsche mug. Personally, I was happy with that.

If you don't drive the car regularly I would ask for a battery tender and some apparel.


Edited by scrounger73 on Saturday 24th September 17:03

scrounger73

29 posts

140 months

Saturday 24th September
quotequote all
Mick Dastardly said:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP64M8G1


Finally, build slot 16/10, delivery early December.

Not really arsed if we get it pre Christmas, if we don’t it’ll give us something to do in the new year.
I love it. A very bold colour choice. We have the same OPC (Preston). They are really very good and their service dept is superb.