The Eternal Corrosion Question on a 3.2

The Eternal Corrosion Question on a 3.2

Author
Discussion

ChrisW.

Original Poster:

3,184 posts

200 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all
I have a very nice 3.2 Jubilee Coupe which has had no bodywork.
It was in it's day a concourse car so had a full re-spray and has a consistent 350 microns paint thickness.
The bodywork is very solid and it's just flown through it's mot ... but !
Around the door shuts I'm just starting to see tiny blebs of corrosion which are still beneath the paint (I've known the car for five years !) and this is stopping form wanting to drive the car if there is any chance of rain.
I love the car. But how can I preserve it without taking the chance on having to slice out the originality of the car ?
I could just ignore it until structural work is demanded but ?
What options ?
Thanks, Chris

supersport

2,890 posts

172 months

Saturday 4th May
quotequote all
I think it’s inevitable that these cars will rust. If it’s already there then it’s probably too late, especially in that area.

Get it looked at, but it could be too late. At least you could enjoy it knowing that it will need sorting anyway. The time before mine went in was almost the most relaxing not thinking about it.

g7jhp

6,001 posts

183 months

Sunday 5th May
quotequote all
I've owned two 3.2 Carrera's.

If you can see bubbles it's likely already an issue. Get it to a specialist and remove the sill covers to find out what it's like inside.

This was the extent of rust which was rectified in a 3.2 Carrera which looked mint before panels were removed.




Worth doing now as it can eat the bodywork from the inside out.

SRT Hellcat

6,175 posts

162 months

Sunday 5th May
quotequote all
Personally I would deal with it sooner rather than later. It won't get any better and of course it will continue to deteriorate. Maybe enjoy it for the summer and get it attended to over the winter months.

RSVP911

6,647 posts

78 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
g7jhp said:
I've owned two 3.2 Carrera's.

If you can see bubbles it's likely already an issue. Get it to a specialist and remove the sill covers to find out what it's like inside.

This was the extent of rust which was rectified in a 3.2 Carrera which looked mint before panels were removed.




Worth doing now as it can eat the bodywork from the inside out.
This is a scary thread, especially If a “mint” car can look like this !

You mention panels and sill covers - can you explain a little more ; I thought these cars had no protection under the wheel arch and as such, I’m not sure what you mean?

Can anyone point out where one should look to see tell tale signs / post any images of what to look for on a car that on the outside looks fine?

Does anyone know a good specialist in the East Midlands that can advise on this type of thing and lastly if these’s a problem a good Bodyshop in the same area?

Looks horrid that !


g7jhp

6,001 posts

183 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
Jack up the rear of the car or put it on ramp and remove the rear wheels and look forwards into towards the door pillars at the kidney bowls.

The sills are the panels covering the oil pipes at the bottom edge of the door which can be removed.

When in the workshop a specialist may remove the front wing panels or part of the rear wing bodywork if there are tell tale signs of rust is that area.

Suggest posting the same question on ImpactBumpers

Alot of the guys are Midlands based and will be able to recommend a specialist.

I think they'll suggest SVP in Droitwich

RSVP911

6,647 posts

78 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
g7jhp said:
Jack up the rear of the car or put it on ramp and remove the rear wheels and look forwards into towards the door pillars at the kidney bowls.

The sills are the panels covering the oil pipes at the bottom edge of the door which can be removed.

When in the workshop a specialist may remove the front wing panels or part of the rear wing bodywork if there are tell tale signs of rust is that area.

Suggest posting the same question on ImpactBumpers

Alot of the guys are Midlands based and will be able to recommend a specialist.

I think they'll suggest SVP in Droitwich
Cheers - thanks so much smile

nurburgring1

611 posts

145 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
+1 for Impact Bumpers. Check very carefully when choosing a specialist. It's your pride and joy any you wouldn't want someone to spoil it.

RSVP911

6,647 posts

78 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
nurburgring1 said:
+1 for Impact Bumpers. Check very carefully when choosing a specialist. It's your pride and joy any you wouldn't want someone to spoil it.
Thanks, I’ve posted on there under the bodywork section - as I don’t really use IB I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post on - if not please can you suggest where I should put the post - thx smile

browngt3

766 posts

156 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
Makes you think doesn't it. My 3.2 is an original one owner with just 25k miles. Had it more than 6 years but just recently noticed some microblistering below the n/s front headlight and also above the rear lights. Tiny tiny bit on front too. Thing is the car is totally original so what do you do? Aside from the likely cost any restoration work spoils the originality.

ChrisW.

Original Poster:

3,184 posts

200 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
Thanks for this, I have posted also on IB and the Porsche Club web sites ... and i'll post some pictures shortly !













Edited by ChrisW. on Monday 6th May 21:47


Edited by ChrisW. on Monday 6th May 21:54

nurburgring1

611 posts

145 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
RSVP911 said:
nurburgring1 said:
+1 for Impact Bumpers. Check very carefully when choosing a specialist. It's your pride and joy any you wouldn't want someone to spoil it.
Thanks, I’ve posted on there under the bodywork section - as I don’t really use IB I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post on - if not please can you suggest where I should put the post - thx smile
I’ve seen your post in the 3.2 section of IB. I think the bodywork section would be better. Maybe one of the mods can move it.
Photos always help, it gives people a better idea of what’s going on.

RSVP911

6,647 posts

78 months

Monday 6th May
quotequote all
nurburgring1 said:
RSVP911 said:
nurburgring1 said:
+1 for Impact Bumpers. Check very carefully when choosing a specialist. It's your pride and joy any you wouldn't want someone to spoil it.
Thanks, I’ve posted on there under the bodywork section - as I don’t really use IB I’m not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post on - if not please can you suggest where I should put the post - thx smile
I’ve seen your post in the 3.2 section of IB. I think the bodywork section would be better. Maybe one of the mods can move it.
Photos always help, it gives people a better idea of what’s going on.
Cheers - have started another smile

https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/top...


PH5121

1,627 posts

158 months

Tuesday 7th May
quotequote all
ChrisW. said:
Thanks for this, I have posted also on IB and the Porsche Club web sites ... and i'll post some pictures shortly !



Edited by ChrisW. on Monday 6th May 21:47


Edited by ChrisW. on Monday 6th May 21:54
That looks like it was taken at the Tadcaster classic car show over the weekend, if so you must be local to me.


Edited by PH5121 on Tuesday 7th May 16:16

ChrisW.

Original Poster:

3,184 posts

200 months

Thursday 9th May
quotequote all
It was ... what a great show that was ...

Paynewright

345 posts

22 months

Thursday 9th May
quotequote all
I’m no expert but think the bubbles are serious. To me they look like they are coming through from the back of the panel i.e. there is no surface paint chip from which the corrosion eminates.

I think you need to get it checked by a specialist.

Paynewright

345 posts

22 months

Thursday 9th May
quotequote all
GCR Central in Wigston do a lot of air cooled maintenance. They use Leicester Auto Body - when I went in they had just finished a major rebuild on a 964 and were working on two other race shells.

Ian

C4ME

344 posts

156 months

Thursday 9th May
quotequote all
If you are anywhere near Leicester then I would second going to see Chris at GCR in South Wigston as a start point. He knows an awful lot about aircooled Porsches which you will see as soon as you get there.

Paynewright

345 posts

22 months

Thursday 9th May
quotequote all
Just booked my 996 for clutch and RMS at GCR and it was 5 weeks before I could get a slot!

supersport

2,890 posts

172 months

Thursday 9th May
quotequote all
Chris, go have a talk to Russel at Full Throttle at Thorpe Arch. Top chap with good credentials and local!

Sorry to say That does look like the usual signs.