Living with a Gallardo Superleggera or Performante?

Living with a Gallardo Superleggera or Performante?

Author
Discussion

PantsFire

Original Poster:

274 posts

13 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
I'm looking at some next month. Any past or present owners care to share their thoughts on them? Also any hints or tips for a future owner greatly appreciated.

markiii

920 posts

127 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
what year Gallardo?

though I can't imagine either would be a challenge as a toy, daily might be another matter


Edited by markiii on Thursday 4th January 17:57

PantsFire

Original Poster:

274 posts

13 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
It'll be a weekend toy, might do a couple of rallies in it, Modball, Dodgeball, etc...

Yipper

5,964 posts

23 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
SL2 is one of the best supercars ever made. The whipsaw on the downshift is just sublime.

andrew

8,501 posts

125 months

Thursday 4th January
quotequote all
you need the buyers' guide...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

as asked above, are you looking at a 2007/8 car or the later lps ?
Advertisement

Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
Brilliant as a weekend car but I wouldn't use my SL2 as a daily.

The only issue being the carbon bucket seats, after an hour or so, my back hurts.

Pretty much bullet proof cars though and still look and sound amazing.

andrew

8,501 posts

125 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
Craigwww said:
Brilliant as a weekend car but I wouldn't use my SL2 as a daily.

The only issue being the carbon bucket seats, after an hour or so, my back hurts.

Pretty much bullet proof cars though and still look and sound amazing.
have you tried the seat tilt mod ?

atrees

1 posts

48 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
I owned an Edizone Technical for a few years and loved it, definitrly the best drivers car I’ve ever owned, razor sharp on handling and performance and its easy to become at one with the car. It had a rare quality of making you feel like your the best driver on the road, regardless of the bend or speed it always made the drive feel effortless and rewardimg. I swapped it for an SV and although on paper the Sv is quicker, it just doesn’t give the same thrill as the Superleggerra ET. In a way I wish I’d never sold mine, but I haven’t the space for both, so the Superleggera had to go, but for £110k they are a bargain and you’ll never lose money on one if you look after it and “only” get a main dealer to service it. My advice...Buy one..you’ll love it,

Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
andrew said:
have you tried the seat tilt mod ?
Nope. I don't have an issue fitting in it, I just find it quite uncomfortable.

What does the mod help with ?


Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
atrees said:
I owned an Edizone Technical for a few years and loved it, definitrly the best drivers car I’ve ever owned, razor sharp on handling and performance and its easy to become at one with the car. It had a rare quality of making you feel like your the best driver on the road, regardless of the bend or speed it always made the drive feel effortless and rewardimg. I swapped it for an SV and although on paper the Sv is quicker, it just doesn’t give the same thrill as the Superleggerra ET. In a way I wish I’d never sold mine, but I haven’t the space for both, so the Superleggera had to go, but for £110k they are a bargain and you’ll never lose money on one if you look after it and “only” get a main dealer to service it. My advice...Buy one..you’ll love it,
Where can you buy a SL2 ET for 110k? More like 130k plus for the ET.


andrew

8,501 posts

125 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
Craigwww said:
andrew said:
have you tried the seat tilt mod ?
Nope. I don't have an issue fitting in it, I just find it quite uncomfortable.

What does the mod help with ?
tilting it back slightly by using the alternative mounting holes already in the car gives a little more headroom, back support and under thigh support

PantsFire

Original Poster:

274 posts

13 months

Sunday 7th January
quotequote all
Thanks for all your responses.

Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Monday 8th January
quotequote all
andrew said:
tilting it back slightly by using the alternative mounting holes already in the car gives a little more headroom, back support and under thigh support
Thanks Andrew, I might give that a go.

andrew

8,501 posts

125 months

Monday 8th January
quotequote all
Craigwww said:
andrew said:
tilting it back slightly by using the alternative mounting holes already in the car gives a little more headroom, back support and under thigh support
Thanks Andrew, I might give that a go.
i'll photograph the alternative mounting holes at the weekend...

pac man

89 posts

143 months

Monday 8th January
quotequote all
Hi

I’d be grateful as well if you could post pics. Love my SV but struggle after a period with back ache and the very upright position.

Do you find it makes a big difference?

Thanks

Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Tuesday 9th January
quotequote all
andrew said:
i'll photograph the alternative mounting holes at the weekend...
That would be much appreciated.

Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Tuesday 9th January
quotequote all
OP.. just out of curiosity, what made you decide on a SL/Perf ?

Superleg48

276 posts

66 months

Saturday 13th January
quotequote all
I have a SL2 and have over the last 18 months or so covered about 6000 miles, which is adventurous by some standards.

Personally I love this car. I had a Super Trofeo Exhaust fitted to it, which means that the already orchestral noises become further amplified, complimented by lots of back pressure pops and burps as my wife calls them. Downshifts bring the hairs up on the back of your neck. Reduces weight by another 15kgs or so to boot..

This car is not comfortable on long runs. It is not meant to be. It is a hardcore version of the LP560 and you are not buying comfort. You are buying seat of your pants, insane grin inducing, motoring mayhem. It delivers that in spades. As others have mentioned, handling is superb. Very direct steering and always feels very planted. Your bottle will run out long before the car’s limits.

Very reliable, solidly built, it will even return around 24-25mpg on a steady motorway run at about 79 mph (Limit plus 10% plus 2mph Officer) but then when you have one of these fuel economy is not high on your list of worries. You want to be pulling through the gears, changing around 7500 revs ( conditions depending) leaving most things as specs in your rear view mirror. Red lines just over 8000 but Dyno testing on mine shows power and torque flattened out beyond 7500. Plus, you don’t reelly want to bounce around the Rev limiter all day...it is just not necessary. Slowing down is best achieved with downshifts , I find you get the best noises with downshifts coordinated to bounce around 3000-3500 revs. If you can find one with carbon ceramics they work well, very well. Takes a while to get used to them, but boy do they stop you quick and if you are tempted to track it, brake fade will never be an issue.

Be prepared for lots of attention. These cars do not blend into the background well. You will find yourself or rather the car, being photographed at traffic lights, by people driving past you in traffic, pretty much everywhere. You will have lots of conversations with random strangers but so far I have never had bad vibes from anyone. Always makes people smile and point and wave. You cannot drive it and have a bad hair day though, given how much of a magnet to a camera they are.

I would highly recommend one. Let us know how you get on...

andrew

8,501 posts

125 months

Sunday 14th January
quotequote all
andrew said:
Craigwww said:
andrew said:
tilting it back slightly by using the alternative mounting holes already in the car gives a little more headroom, back support and under thigh support
Thanks Andrew, I might give that a go.
i'll photograph the alternative mounting holes at the weekend...
here goes...

passenger's side, front of seat as viewed from kerb : front of seat is bolted through the lower hole on seat frame and so seat is vertical



driver's side as viewed from road : front of seat is now bolted through the upper hole on seat frame and so seat is more reclined



obviously you also need to move to the corresponding holes on the opposite side of the seat, and temporarily slacken-off the rear bolts ( too tricky to photo ! ) whilst rotating the seat around them

all of this necessitates first removing the seat frame from the car

with thanks to Mark at Backdraft who did this for me !
hth

Craigwww

853 posts

102 months

Sunday 14th January
quotequote all
andrew said:
here goes...

passenger's side, front of seat as viewed from kerb : front of seat is bolted through the lower hole on seat frame and so seat is vertical



driver's side as viewed from road : front of seat is now bolted through the upper hole on seat frame and so seat is more reclined



obviously you also need to move to the corresponding holes on the opposite side of the seat, and temporarily slacken-off the rear bolts ( too tricky to photo ! ) whilst rotating the seat around them

all of this necessitates first removing the seat frame from the car

with thanks to Mark at Backdraft who did this for me !
hth
Many thanks for taking the time to post those. Do you think it makes a significant difference to how comfortable the seat is?