McLaren 600LT

McLaren 600LT

Author
Discussion

Rocketreid

159 posts

20 months

Saturday 5th October
quotequote all
ChrisH370 said:
Is anyone else fed up with the Normal auto gear changes programmed to change up as soon as poss., it’s in 5th at 25 and 7th at 35mph, it’s ridiculous. Same on the overrun won’t change down until 35 mph. McLaren admit it and say it’s to meet Euro 6 certification but it affects drive ability to the point if being unsafe. It won’t accelerate at 25 in 5th or 35 in 7th if you need to in a speed limit. It can’t be doing the engine any good, it’s at tickover.
Yes, I know I can use Manual but that’s not the point. I’ve reported this via dealer service department to Customer Support, no action after 3 months.
It needs reprogramming but I doubt they will as it affects Certification.
Never use auto change, the manual paddle shift is so much better. If you want auto buy an Aston MARTIN ????

MAC 720S

677 posts

95 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
ChrisH370 said:
Is anyone else fed up with the Normal auto gear changes programmed to change up as soon as poss., it’s in 5th at 25 and 7th at 35mph, it’s ridiculous. Same on the overrun won’t change down until 35 mph. McLaren admit it and say it’s to meet Euro 6 certification but it affects drive ability to the point if being unsafe. It won’t accelerate at 25 in 5th or 35 in 7th if you need to in a speed limit. It can’t be doing the engine any good, it’s at tickover.
Yes, I know I can use Manual but that’s not the point. I’ve reported this via dealer service department to Customer Support, no action after 3 months.
It needs reprogramming but I doubt they will as it affects Certification.

Unless on a long slog motorway drive, I never use Auto. Manual 99% of the time

ChrisH370

54 posts

85 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
This is a 600LT specific issue in Normal mode, in town I prefer to use this mode as it’s designed for.
My 540 didn’t have this problem neither does the 570S or 720S because the engine didn’t have to meet EU6 emission certification.
I am looking for LT owner feedback on here.
Of course Manual gets around the issue, that’s obvious, but it does not address the fact that Normal Mode needs reprogramming.

DB77

155 posts

95 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
ChrisH370 said:
This is a 600LT specific issue in Normal mode, in town I prefer to use this mode as it’s designed for.
My 540 didn’t have this problem neither does the 570S or 720S because the engine didn’t have to meet EU6 emission certification.
I am looking for LT owner feedback on here.
Of course Manual gets around the issue, that’s obvious, but it does not address the fact that Normal Mode needs reprogramming.
Just don’t use Normal Mode? Manual, or Sport Mode if you must drive in auto?

r o n n i e

40 posts

124 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
I only use auto mode in city traffic or motorway cruising.

I like the normal setting for auto in those scenarios as it makes the car more “relaxed” if you can ever describe it that way.

For more responsive auto, use the P mode. It holds the gear changes for longer so will give you the higher revs you are looking for.

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
Gents, I’ve got a Whatsapp group for 600LT owners, Chris and myself at the moment.

If you send me a pm with mobile I’ll add you on it if you think it’s useful.

I had a look yesterday at howmanyleft, circa 300 units registered in the UK. Circa 100 more than 488 Pista.


ChrisH370

54 posts

85 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
r o n n i e said:
I only use auto mode in city traffic or motorway cruising.

I like the normal setting for auto in those scenarios as it makes the car more “relaxed” if you can ever describe it that way.

For more responsive auto, use the P mode. It holds the gear changes for longer so will give you the higher revs you are looking for.
So do I and driving through speed limited zones is where I'm referring to where it should be in a lower gear. e.g. 50 limit on a motorway it constantly goes into 7th even if you use Manual to change down it reverts to 7th. At lower speed limits 40 or 30 its even worse chasing 7th.

How do you select the P mode?

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
He means use Powertrain settings, e.g. put it in Sport mode.

Does it keep auto changes though? Not sure.

ChrisH370

54 posts

85 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
He means use Powertrain settings, e.g. put it in Sport mode.

Does it keep auto changes though? Not sure.
Yes, I believe it does but the gear change points in Sport are far higher up than in Normal in the 540/570 where this mode worked fine.
The fact is that everyone seems to work around this by using the paddles or Sport rather than feedback to Mclaren that Normal mode needs fixing.
I have done so and am looking for support from LT owners otherwise nothing will get done.

MAC 720S

677 posts

95 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
ChrisH370 said:
Yes, I believe it does but the gear change points in Sport are far higher up than in Normal in the 540/570 where this mode worked fine.
The fact is that everyone seems to work around this by using the paddles or Sport rather than feedback to Mclaren that Normal mode needs fixing.
I have done so and am looking for support from LT owners otherwise nothing will get done.
amongst other things, the organisers of the MOC UK have face-2-face meetings with McLaren management at Woking to feedback things such as this. The club is recognised by McLaren Automotive. You may get the support you are looking for in the MOC.

lsb

441 posts

170 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
ChrisH370 said:
Yes, I believe it does but the gear change points in Sport are far higher up than in Normal in the 540/570 where this mode worked fine.
The fact is that everyone seems to work around this by using the paddles or Sport rather than feedback to Mclaren that Normal mode needs fixing.
I have done so and am looking for support from LT owners otherwise nothing will get done.
I owned a 570 for a little over a year and now own a 600. They are different cars with different objectives and different target markets. If this issue is so important to you is it possible that you may be driving the wrong model ? For me at least that issue (if it is one; as I have not noticed any difference in the powertrain normal modes) is of no consequence on an LT model. As others have said just use Sport or use the paddles. Normal mode (in my opinion) is there for long boring motorway trips and cool down laps.. It is a way for McLaren to try to satisfy the expectations placed upon them for fuel economy and emissions.


Edited by lsb on Sunday 6th October 22:25

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Sunday 6th October
quotequote all
Good point.

I have only praises for McLaren wrt it’s Powertrain and tune, if I think they’ve managed to put in the current emission stricted market such a car and with such allegedly flame throwing exhaust. Honestly it’s not a car made to be driven in auto mode.

But fair enough if people find better auto mode on a 488 Pista then McLaren should learn....not sure though.

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Tuesday 26th November
quotequote all
I think someone in a different McLaren topic was looking for a volcano yellow 600LT and concerned about lack of specced car?

I like the colour, but wouldn’t change for Helios orange wink

https://twitter.com/mclarenauto/status/11992893806...

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Still EVO CoTY...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01LvYCwk9tM&ap...

Who needs a Speciale?

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
I have seen Vehicle Virgin putting Michelin tyres on his LT.

Does anybody have details of them, as suspect they’ll offer a better trade off cold vs hot performance than Trofeo R, as the latter don’t perform well when cold and take a lot to warm up.

Kevin Smart

28 posts

232 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Most likely Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Kevin Smart said:
Most likely Michelin Pilot Sport 4.
He was going to a track day, don’t think so Kevin. smile

Think some sort of sport cup...

Kevin Smart

28 posts

232 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
He was going to a track day, don’t think so Kevin. smile

Think some sort of sport cup...
I checked, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2:

https://youtu.be/qu1laPvbW4g

RBT0

1,064 posts

67 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Kevin Smart said:
RBT0 said:
He was going to a track day, don’t think so Kevin. smile

Think some sort of sport cup...
I checked, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2:

https://youtu.be/qu1laPvbW4g
Don’t think are McLaren rated, but curious to hear any comparison with Trofeo R...

The Surveyor

6,941 posts

185 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
RBT0 said:
Kevin Smart said:
RBT0 said:
He was going to a track day, don’t think so Kevin. smile

Think some sort of sport cup...
I checked, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2:

https://youtu.be/qu1laPvbW4g
Don’t think are McLaren rated, but curious to hear any comparison with Trofeo R...
I didn't think anything other than the different P Zero's were McLaren rated.