720s Below 200K Already

720s Below 200K Already

Author
Discussion

footsoldier

1,450 posts

137 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
garyhun said:
ferdi p said:
Dropping like all supercars imo...

This was 220k new & can be had for 170k I reckon.
https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Fe...

Ferrari, Lambo, Mac. They're all suffering.
Three owners in 3450 miles, what’s that all about?
I was the first owner, and my spec.
Had it on order for a while, and when it arrived I had just been allocated a GT2RS so got out of it summer last year as didn’t want both, or to be selling a Ferrari in the winter. 1000 miles or so.

Next guy bought it as a Pista buy-in token from dealer, and then sold it quite quickly.
I coincidentally know the third owner, who bought and then found out he was too tall for the car with helmet on! (Not an issue for me..)

Sometimes I’m tempted to buy it back, as didn’t really give it a chance, (and would have an inbuilt profit...), but not really in a supercar mood at the moment.

footsoldier

1,450 posts

137 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Taffy66 said:
I considered that 488 as i personally loved the colour combo however in the end bought a Grigio Silverstone 458..The trouble with that particular 488 is the lack of Carbon fiber inside which is a saleability disaster unfortunately..Like it or loathe it but C/F is essential to sell on a Ferrari or McLaren..
Yes, consciously decided to go full anti-carbon, even the steering wheel is special order carbon LED, with factory leather on top...

WCZ

7,007 posts

139 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
isaldiri said:
Yes it can almost always be retrofitted, just a question of cost or waiting for someone who isn't fussed by plasticky tat in the interior wink
it's extremely easy, most just glue carbon fiber over the trim. it looks identical anyway

Taffy66

2,694 posts

47 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
footsoldier said:
Taffy66 said:
I considered that 488 as i personally loved the colour combo however in the end bought a Grigio Silverstone 458..The trouble with that particular 488 is the lack of Carbon fiber inside which is a saleability disaster unfortunately..Like it or loathe it but C/F is essential to sell on a Ferrari or McLaren..
Yes, consciously decided to go full anti-carbon, even the steering wheel is special order carbon LED, with factory leather on top...
I actually pointed out this 488 to Martin RSK of this province when he was looking for one but he hated the interior..I actually loved the colour combo and the lack C/F wouldn't affect me personally just concerns when i need to move it on again.Its a stunning looking car and i'm surprised it hasn't sold.
In the end i knew deep down that i hugely prefer the power delivery.character and noise of a NA Ferrari over any Turbo which is why ultimately i bought a 458 Italia.
Interesting how it differs to my GT3 in terms of driving TBT..

footsoldier

1,450 posts

137 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Yes, bottom line is that I struggle to get excited by any modern turbo, but that's a different topic...

f1ten

1,842 posts

98 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Ah that 488 has real provenance then! footsoldier good taste sir

av185

9,160 posts

72 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
SMMT are due to announce figures confirming McLaren sales are up 44% this year.

Sales up generally means residuals down with higher end cars.

This is Mclarens problem in a nutshell.

hunter 66

2,811 posts

165 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
Yes making great award winning cars , better ..every year .

breadvan

1,405 posts

113 months

Monday 7th January
quotequote all
ferdi p said:
Dropping like all supercars imo...

This was 220k new & can be had for 170k I reckon.
https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Fe...

Ferrari, Lambo, Mac. They're all suffering.
Now showing ‘reserved’.

Good buy for someone......

_Leg_

2,405 posts

156 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
footsoldier said:
...but not really in a supercar mood at the moment.
Was just browsing around and saw your statement and it struck home with me as I'm feeling the same way, possibly for different reasons.

I don't mean not owning supercars, I love the ones I have, but even with some relative bargains around at the moment I just cant get enthused about anything (not a lot of the current stuff excites me). I suspect it's a combination of having all the cars I ever wanted/more than I can use and a feeling a big change is afoot and not wanting to buy anything current and then find out something ground breaking has arrived (i.e. hybrid, electric or whatever).

I suspect if something genuinely 'next generation' does arrive from one of the manufacturers I'll treat all my current cars as my 'classic' collection going forwards and just focus on one new car that I change every 2-3 years, something I've never done before as I'm a hoarder. It just feels like there's a new car every two minutes these days (I've been watching Performante prices and then......the new Huracan is announced and I think 'err, eh, what, so will there be a new new performante? Oh sod it, my brain cant keep up. I stick'.

It seems pointless swapping for something new when something newer will be announced next week.

Edited by _Leg_ on Tuesday 8th January 12:37

cayman-black

8,079 posts

161 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
breadvan said:
Now showing ‘reserved’.

Good buy for someone......
All our publicity no doubt.

av i think your right, just to many cars.

flemke

22,144 posts

182 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
_Leg_ said:
footsoldier said:
...but not really in a supercar mood at the moment.
Was just browsing around and saw your statement and it struck home with me as I'm feeling the same way, possibly for different reasons.

I don't mean not owning supercars, I love the ones I have, but even with some relative bargains around at the moment I just cant get enthused about anything (not a lot of the current stuff excites me). I suspect it's a combination of having all the cars I ever wanted/more than I can use and a feeling a big change is afoot and not wanting to buy anything current and then find out something ground breaking has arrived (i.e. hybrid, electric or whatever).

I suspect if something genuinely 'next generation' does arrive from one of the manufacturers I'll treat all my current cars as my 'classic' collection going forwards and just focus on one new car that I change every 2-3 years, something I've never done before as I'm a hoarder. It just feels like there's a new car every two minutes these days (I've been watching Performante prices and then......the new Huracan is announced and I think 'err, eh, what, so will there be a new new performante? Oh sod it, my brain cant keep up. I stick'.

It seems pointless swapping for something new when something newer will be announced next week.
This reminds me of what a late friend of mine used to say about his extensive art collection: "My taste in art starts in 1880, and from there goes backwards."

among "exotic" cars, the near-universal adoption of turbos (and soon near-universal adoption of hybrids or EVs) makes them increasingly alike, with the main differentiator being marginal performance gains that are nowhere near being usable on public roads and are typically inaccessible on circuits unless the driver is a professional racer.

Starting a few years ago and going backwards in time from there, cars had more character and were less alike one another. Whether it has normal aspiration or a manual gearbox or hydraulic steering, an older car (perhaps on modern tyres) will usually offer a more rewarding drive than a modern one, and in many cases will be a better investment too.

Eta: It's not a big deal, but I wonder why, on its own, the website software changed the "A" in my "among" from upper case to lower. scratchchin


Edited by flemke on Tuesday 8th January 16:58

12pack

862 posts

113 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
Not sure about that.

Was happy with my V12 Vantage for years. Considered a 458 to be a girly V8 with silly flappy-paddle things and chaos in the interior. Real men used 3 pedals and analog gauges, you see. A couple of go's I had in one and a Huracan convinced me I was right. Even a 570s I tried made me happy to get back into the good, old manual V12 which still felt a lot stronger at - as you say - reasonable speeds. And around town they all felt sooo slow compared to my daily driver. So I put a deposit down for a Tesla roadster (in the US) thinking for sure that was the only thing new of interest, while keeping the V12V as the analog beauty.

And then I got into a 650s. Amazing thrust from the mid-range. Lightweight and with a suspension that made it usable on poor roads. I can only imagine what a 720s would be like. And I haven't been on track yet. Scheduled for March.


Edited by 12pack on Tuesday 8th January 17:43

flemke

22,144 posts

182 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
12pack said:
Not sure about that.

Was happy with my V12 Vantage for years. Considered a 458 to be a girly V8 with silly flappy-paddle things and chaos in the interior. Real men used 3 pedals and analog gauges, you see. A couple of go's I had in one and a Huracan convinced me I was right. Even a 570s I tried made me happy to get back into the good, old manual V12 which still felt a lot stronger at - as you say - reasonable speeds. And around town they all felt sooo slow compared to my daily driver.

And then I got into a 650s. Amazing thrust from the mid-range. And the suspension made it usable on poor roads. I can only imagine what a 720s would be like. And I haven't been on track yet. Scheduled for March.
You like the 650 more than the Vantage and that's fine (although I myself wouldn't use an Aston as a benchmark for anything, except possibly how not to build a car wink). That was not quite my point.
What I was trying to say was that there are increasingly marginal and trivial differences amongst "supercars", and going forward we can probably expect more of the same. Is there really that much of a difference between a 997 and a 991 and a 992, or a 650 and a 720? Yet the car manufacturers do everything they can to induce us to get on that hamster wheel and buy the newest one, own it for two years then sell it at a £75k loss and buy another, which one would own for another two years. Rinse, repeat....
Therefore, if you want to have a different (I would say better, but obviously that is subjective) experience, the answer is not to start running on the manufacturers' new car hamster wheel, but instead to consider older things with less (but still more than enough) performance and definitely more character.

cayman-black

8,079 posts

161 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
lol. a V12Vantage with the manual 6 speed box is a fantastic car and mine has had far fewer problems than any other make car i have owned, so i can't agree with your statement about AM,s i,m afraid, in fact i think it's beautifully made.
I do however agree with the rest you are saying.

12pack

862 posts

113 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
flemke said:
. Is there really that much of a difference between a 997 and a 991 and a 992, or a 650 and a 720? Yet the car manufacturers do everything they can to induce us to get on that hamster wheel and buy the newest one, own it for two years then sell it at a £75k loss and buy another, which one would own for another two years. Rinse, repeat....
Therefore, if you want to have a different (I would say better, but obviously that is subjective) experience, the answer is not to start running on the manufacturers' new car hamster wheel, but instead to consider older things with less (but still more than enough) performance and definitely more character.
Fully agree with you there.

My only point was that I did see a rather large difference in performance, even on the road, with a lighter car using a smaller turbo motor (and not just compared to the Aston). That performance is character in itself.

Edited by 12pack on Tuesday 8th January 18:26

Wilmslowboy

2,580 posts

151 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
av185 said:
SMMT are due to announce figures confirming McLaren sales are up 44% this year.

Sales up generally means residuals down with higher end cars.

This is Mclarens problem in a nutshell.
Your point stands, however sales in the Uk (well actually registrations) are only up 10% to 627.




12pack

862 posts

113 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
“The British sports car manufacturer retained strong sales figures in the domestic market, with 49.2% more cars sold in the UK than in 2017, thanks in part to new dealerships opening in Leeds and Hatfield.”. ??
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/mclare...

MDL111

3,759 posts

122 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
_Leg_ said:
footsoldier said:
...but not really in a supercar mood at the moment.
Was just browsing around and saw your statement and it struck home with me as I'm feeling the same way, possibly for different reasons.

I don't mean not owning supercars, I love the ones I have, but even with some relative bargains around at the moment I just cant get enthused about anything (not a lot of the current stuff excites me). I suspect it's a combination of having all the cars I ever wanted/more than I can use and a feeling a big change is afoot and not wanting to buy anything current and then find out something ground breaking has arrived (i.e. hybrid, electric or whatever).

I suspect if something genuinely 'next generation' does arrive from one of the manufacturers I'll treat all my current cars as my 'classic' collection going forwards and just focus on one new car that I change every 2-3 years, something I've never done before as I'm a hoarder. It just feels like there's a new car every two minutes these days (I've been watching Performante prices and then......the new Huracan is announced and I think 'err, eh, what, so will there be a new new performante? Oh sod it, my brain cant keep up. I stick'.

It seems pointless swapping for something new when something newer will be announced next week.

Edited by _Leg_ on Tuesday 8th January 12:37
Tbh to me it seems pointless to swap if you like what you have .... don’t understand all these cars being for sale with a couple of k on the odo. As if all these GT3 etc buyers have really gotten to know the car during that short an ownership period. Sign of the times (probably to change soon once every change costs you 50k plus again ....)

flemke

22,144 posts

182 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
lol. a V12Vantage with the manual 6 speed box is a fantastic car and mine has had far fewer problems than any other make car i have owned, so i can't agree with your statement about AM,s i,m afraid, in fact i think it's beautifully made.
I do however agree with the rest you are saying.
I was intentionally going too far in reference to Aston road cars, although I find their attempt to create the illusion that they have a bona fide connection to modern racing car engineering no more impressive than when the Red Bull F1 car had an "Infiniti" logo on it.