My 720s has gone boom

My 720s has gone boom

Author
Discussion

BelfastBoy

763 posts

108 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
Blimey. Tough crowd.

Sympathies to the OP - I'd be pretty upset if that happened to me
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The issue here is clearly the expensive supercar owned for under a fortnight and in danger of going up in flames at the roadside, not the OP's choice of title. Yes McLaren's customer service seems to have been very proactive and positive, but for anyone considering the brand, wouldn't you be worried at the integrity / safety of the vehicle they're selling?

davek_964

6,187 posts

123 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
BelfastBoy said:
davek_964 said:
Blimey. Tough crowd.

Sympathies to the OP - I'd be pretty upset if that happened to me
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The issue here is clearly the expensive supercar owned for under a fortnight and in danger of going up in flames at the roadside, not the OP's choice of title. Yes McLaren's customer service seems to have been very proactive and positive, but for anyone considering the brand, wouldn't you be worried at the integrity / safety of the vehicle they're selling?
From some of the responses on here, it seems the average PH'er would have immediately thought : "Ah, coolant hose has popped off", got the spare hose clip out that they always carry with them, fixed it at the side of the road and filled up the coolant by unzipping their trousers and taking aim. ....

The clips do seem to be a weak point - despite one of the earlier posts saying that they're perfectly good on other vehicles. I'm not sure that's entirely true - I had coolant issues on a 996 turbo years ago, and I know for a fact I wasn't unique in that. It is unfortunate that it seems so catastrophic when something like this happens.

tuscaneer

6,629 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
WCZ said:
tuscaneer said:
nice bit of flexing there tiger rofl
i winced so hard i nearly broke my own backbiggrin
? that's how much these cars cost
oh i know pal, i'm well versed in the purchase price/ servicing costs / warranty costs of most of the offerings from all the usual suspects. i was more tickled by the brag factor..... you know,the bit about taking 157 grand out of his bank account.., subtly letting a load of strangers on the internet know that he's a cash buyer don't you knowlaugh

in reality, none of that needed saying...

Ferruccio

934 posts

67 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
WCZ said:
tuscaneer said:
nice bit of flexing there tiger rofl
i winced so hard i nearly broke my own backbiggrin
? that's how much these cars cost
oh i know pal, i'm well versed in the purchase price/ servicing costs / warranty costs of most of the offerings from all the usual suspects. i was more tickled by the brag factor..... you know,the bit about taking 157 grand out of his bank account.., subtly letting a load of strangers on the internet know that he's a cash buyer don't you knowlaugh

in reality, none of that needed saying...
And your trolling did “need” saying?

Thales

199 posts

5 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
oh i know pal, i'm well versed in the purchase price/ servicing costs / warranty costs of most of the offerings from all the usual suspects. i was more tickled by the brag factor..... you know,the bit about taking 157 grand out of his bank account.., subtly letting a load of strangers on the internet know that he's a cash buyer don't you knowlaugh

in reality, none of that needed saying...
I didn't get that vibe confused

davek_964

6,187 posts

123 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Thales said:
tuscaneer said:
oh i know pal, i'm well versed in the purchase price/ servicing costs / warranty costs of most of the offerings from all the usual suspects. i was more tickled by the brag factor..... you know,the bit about taking 157 grand out of his bank account.., subtly letting a load of strangers on the internet know that he's a cash buyer don't you knowlaugh

in reality, none of that needed saying...
I didn't get that vibe confused
Neither did I. I thought it was more of a "I've just spent st loads of money on this car, it should have lasted more than a week" type comment - the fact that he quoted the actual sum seemed a bit incidental.

tuscaneer

6,629 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
ladies and gentlemen.... don't worry about it!... the op has had a problem that made his arse twitch considerably...i understand completely...been there done that and got the tattoo to prove it...(i feel your pain chap, i really do....except in my case i wasn't fortunate enough for it to be just a little 10 bob hose that had popped)

i just found the statement i quoted quite amusing......did we all really need to know that he had 157 grand just sitting in an account waiting to be spent on a 720?? not really, didn't help the story along at all....just a subtle , little flex in case anybody thought he was one of the proles that finance cars laugh

BelfastBoy

763 posts

108 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
ladies and gentlemen.... don't worry about it!... the op has had a problem that made his arse twitch considerably...i understand completely...been there done that and got the tattoo to prove it...(i feel your pain chap, i really do....except in my case i wasn't fortunate enough for it to be just a little 10 bob hose that had popped)

i just found the statement i quoted quite amusing......did we all really need to know that he had 157 grand just sitting in an account waiting to be spent on a 720?? not really, didn't help the story along at all....just a subtle , little flex in case anybody thought he was one of the proles that finance cars laugh
This is the issue as I see it - A NEW CAR SHOULDN'T CATCH FIRE. Cost is irrelevant here.

davek_964

6,187 posts

123 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
BelfastBoy said:
This is the issue as I see it - A NEW CAR SHOULDN'T CATCH FIRE. Cost is irrelevant here.
Technically, it wasn't a new car - and it didn't catch fire.

Terminator X

8,129 posts

152 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Misleading thread title, shouldn't it be "some clips came loose on my supercar"?

TX.

tuscaneer

6,629 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
BelfastBoy said:
This is the issue as I see it - A NEW CAR SHOULDN'T CATCH FIRE. Cost is irrelevant here.
Technically, it wasn't a new car - and it didn't catch fire.
laughlaughlaughlaugh

belfastboy...


everyone seems to be missing the point.....

a) a hose popped off and he's being looked after very well in the meantime.....nothing to see here, move along...

b) everyone KNOWS how much money you would have to pay for a 2017 macca 720....my amusement and subsequent little tease was about the need to include the figure (twice) in that post and make sure he got it in that he was a cash buyer... had no relevance to the tale (which, by the way was far less dramatic than was originally portrayed)

Gary Woodland

2,362 posts

110 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Jeez. Tough crowd.

Good luck OP. I hope you have more luck when you get it back. I really love the 720 and hope you'll share the rest of your experience smile

threespires

3,327 posts

159 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Terminator X said:
Misleading thread title, shouldn't it be "some clips came loose on my supercar"?

TX.
+1

Ferruccio

934 posts

67 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
It’s easy to see why people give up on this place.

tuscaneer

6,629 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Pretty simple...dont come on here with sensationalist stories and thinly veiled bragging and you won't get sarcastic and flippant replies

threespires

3,327 posts

159 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
Pretty simple...dont come on here with sensationalist stories and thinly veiled bragging and you won't get sarcastic and flippant replies
+1


tuscaneer

6,629 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
threespires said:
tuscaneer said:
Pretty simple...dont come on here with sensationalist stories and thinly veiled bragging and you won't get sarcastic and flippant replies
+1
?
Earlier on today I took £3.49 out of my bank account and gave it to the gentleman in the bakery.....

You k ow, just in case you would assume I was going to pay for it on the never never laugh

Equilibrium25

568 posts

82 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
tuscaneer said:
Earlier on today I took £3.49 out of my bank account and gave it to the gentleman in the bakery.....

You k ow, just in case you would assume I was going to pay for it on the never never laugh
Give it a rest. There was nothing wrong with the post you are allegedly amused by. Your reading of it as a brag says a lot more about you than the poster.

OP, hope the 720S settles into a happy ownership experience. As many others have said, PH 2019 sure attracts some odd posters determined to turn every thread into a green eyed argument.

tuscaneer

6,629 posts

173 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all
Equilibrium25 said:
Give it a rest. There was nothing wrong with the post you are allegedly amused by. Your reading of it as a brag says a lot more about you than the poster.

OP, hope the 720S settles into a happy ownership experience. As many others have said, PH 2019 sure attracts some odd posters determined to turn every thread into a green eyed argument.
Yeah, you can read loads about me into that fella...
Half of pistonheads finds a bit of amusement in this kind of sensationalist attention grabbing bullst and the other half (I'm including you in this bit) seem to think everyone is only taking the piss because they're jealous laugh.....

Yeah ok, crack on sweetheart

Gary C

5,419 posts

127 months

Monday 2nd December
quotequote all