The truth about buying a McLaren?

The truth about buying a McLaren?

Author
Discussion

Turbo cab

1,345 posts

182 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
andrew said:
so why did you buy another ?
thrice ?
Fool me four times shame on who?

jayemm89

2,508 posts

80 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
p4cks said:
40 minutes though. He could quite easily have concluded everything within 5 minutes but then again, he’d not get any advertising revenue if he did.
There are two ads in my video. One at the start, one at the end. I do not use mid roll ads. Making it longer is of no particular benefit to me, and in these types of videos most people want the whole story, or nothing.

My average view time on the video is over 20 minutes.

Turbo cab

1,345 posts

182 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
jayemm89 said:
p4cks said:
40 minutes though. He could quite easily have concluded everything within 5 minutes but then again, he’d not get any advertising revenue if he did.
There are two ads in my video. One at the start, one at the end. I do not use mid roll ads. Making it longer is of no particular benefit to me, and in these types of videos most people want the whole story, or nothing.

My average view time on the video is over 20 minutes.
Ignore the fanboys on here, they can be quite defensive.

12pack

987 posts

118 months

Saturday 21st December 2019
quotequote all
Turbo cab said:
The people on here with zero problems suprise me, no doubt after this post they will all be along in tandem to proclaim "XXX miles and no problems" however,

I'm on my fourth and each as problematic as each other with the exception of the latest that's not as problematic but still has its ongoing issues.

Yes they are amazing driving machines and nothing on road touches a remapped 720s in terms of performance and thrill however, they are utterly unreliable buckets of st with a service network to match, as long as you go in with your eyes wide open you won't be disappointed.
We’ll let me be the first with this then. As I posted elsewhere on the multiple versions of this thread, I’m only on my first, but my 650s has been by far the best car I have ever bought, and has been faultless. Indeed I didn’t get far enough with McManchester to get to this document which I would have undoubtedly rejected, but I went further North for a great dealer experience as well. Sorry to hear about all the other negative experiences with the cars.

Turbo cab

1,345 posts

182 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
12pack said:
Turbo cab said:
The people on here with zero problems suprise me, no doubt after this post they will all be along in tandem to proclaim "XXX miles and no problems" however,

I'm on my fourth and each as problematic as each other with the exception of the latest that's not as problematic but still has its ongoing issues.

Yes they are amazing driving machines and nothing on road touches a remapped 720s in terms of performance and thrill however, they are utterly unreliable buckets of st with a service network to match, as long as you go in with your eyes wide open you won't be disappointed.
We’ll let me be the first with this then. As I posted elsewhere on the multiple versions of this thread, I’m only on my first, but my 650s has been by far the best car I have ever bought, and has been faultless. Indeed I didn’t get far enough with McManchester to get to this document which I would have undoubtedly rejected, but I went further North for a great dealer experience as well. Sorry to hear about all the other negative experiences with the cars.
I have always said that the 650s was one of the better ones.. in fact one of the last properly built (if a thing exists within McLaren) before mass production took over and the build quality really went to st.

Edited by Turbo cab on Sunday 22 December 00:15

RSbandit

955 posts

82 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
I've had my 65 plate 570s for a couple of weeks and I must say I am impressed with the build quality of the car, material quality is of a high standard things like the indicator stalks etc are very tactile and have a v solid feel to them much more so than my previous Vantage. Hard to know if some cars just had a diff quality control manager on that particular shift? As regards the Mcl Manchester issue well it sounds woeful tbh
if I was dropping that much hard earned on new cars I would expect serious red carpet treatment from a dealer or are they that complacent to think people will continue to spend serious money with them on what are after all discretionary purchases?

JayK12

1,999 posts

152 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
650spider said:
Geoff997 said:
Can someone explain these knock sensor failures he's talking about?
Simples...it's dealers 'tall story' to explain delays in having a car prepped ready for collection...
Wrong. I know a someone who has had the same issue. Its also been posted in the other thread an extract from McLaren forum.

But hey Mclaren are perfect in 650spider's world and any other view is bull.

Kid A

41 posts

14 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
The dot points are laughable, like the one that says that McLarens are only tested up to the national speed limit. If you sell a car that is marketed as capable of hitting 200mph then you better make sure it can safely do so, as long as the tyres etc are all up to speed and the vehicle is properly maintained.

Don't you Brits have statutory consumer protection? Here in Australia any such problems would be a very quick fix via the Australian Consumer Law, even after the 3 year warranty elapsed.

Anyway the main "exotic" dealer where I live seems to be mainly interested in playing games decreasing/increasing Macca prices as they slowly moulder on the lots month after month - I've been paying close attention to just how bad the depreciation is.

650spider

776 posts

121 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
JayK12 said:
650spider said:
Geoff997 said:
Can someone explain these knock sensor failures he's talking about?
Simples...it's dealers 'tall story' to explain delays in having a car prepped ready for collection...
Wrong. I know a someone who has had the same issue. Its also been posted in the other thread an extract from McLaren forum.

But hey Mclaren are perfect in 650spider's world and any other view is bull.
Hey....i apologise for letting my 1st hand ownership experience fog my opinions.

I did google the knock sensor issue...one post on McLaren Life and it was a near word perfect quote mentioned in the vid clip and unbelievably it was a fob off from a dealer....cannot find any other mention of it anywhere but more than happy to be enlightened with links and the 'someone you know' story.

Pretty sure i don't view anyones else's opinion as bull...if someone posts rubbish i shall call it out...if i am wrong then hands up....a bit like real life shall we say.

I have politely posted my opinions on the video clip on one of the 3 or 4 threads this has taken over and engaged with the guy whom made the clip...and it was all very civil.

Crazy as this sounds, i am aware there are good Macs out there and unfortunately bad ones; and it appears its the same with the dealers.

Not a great surprise though; its the same with Ferraris through to Fords.



jayemm89

2,508 posts

80 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
The chap whose 12C I reviewed - he is very happy with it, and although he has not had it long, no issues whatsoever to report.

I also know someone with a 650S who has had that car just over two years and a few thousand miles of ownership. Also, no problems to report - and they've been dealing with Hatfield and are very happy with the service received.

I have seen all of these things happen before. It starts with management who are keen to pump up the numbers artificially - so they start churning out cars which haven't even been ordered, to make things look good. This means dealers are forced to take stock they want and can't sell, and cars are not being QC'd at the factory properly.

They're hand-made supercars, of course there'll be niggles. But equally I think the factory needs more procedures in place to get as much right in Woking as they can. From a pure business perspective, I can only see that making sense. A simple example from my Lotus ownership. The boot on my car was not fitted properly - hilarious bad panel gap (2mm on one side, 15mm on the other). The panel was fitted so bad it took its own paint off. Now, getting that panel right at the factory might have taken an extra half an hour - but how much did repainting my tailgate cost?

I welcome 650spider's viewpoint and am more than happy to champion positive stories as much as anything. Even in my videos with Thorney Motorsport (who I know are not universally loved, especially at Woking) they point out how damn good the fundamental engineering of these cars is.

650spider

776 posts

121 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
jayemm89 said:
I welcome 650spider's viewpoint and am more than happy to champion positive stories as much as anything.
Ooft...careful there...not many here seem to welcome my 'as it is' viewpoint...

laugh

jayemm89

2,508 posts

80 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
If you wanna go on camera and tell the world how brilliant your McLaren has been, I'm more than happy to arrange that. It's only fair. And I'm missing a 650 video

650spider

776 posts

121 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
jayemm89 said:
If you wanna go on camera and tell the world how brilliant your McLaren has been, I'm more than happy to arrange that. It's only fair. And I'm missing a 650 video
I don't even do social media, and there is not even so much as a single image of me of the tinternet...i am unfortunately not your man for that.

Yes, the car has been fantastic...had 3 little issues of which 2 i had no idea about and did not affect the driving of the car...they were picked up when it was in for a service and rectified under the warranty.

Whilst in for the service and then the warranty work, McLaren Glasgow determined corrosion on the wings and bonnet; i am ocd about paintwork and i sure as st had never noticed it...anyways they tied that in whilst it was there; new wings, bonnet and ppf. For me...total result as there were a few little stonechips i was annoyed about.

The paint match on the Volcano Orange was flawless, contrary to what others have posted that whole sides require painting as it won't match.

That to me is how a dealer should 'deal' with issues...be proactive rather than reactive where possible.

All work done very quickly to an extremely high standard with car collected, courtesy car dropped off and same again when work complete and 1st class communication maintained throughout.

As i said before, i am sorry if all i can offer is a fully positive experience of my Mac and Mclaren Glasgow, but that is how it actually is / has been.

johnwilliams77

6,194 posts

53 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
650spider said:
I don't even do social media, and there is not even so much as a single image of me of the tinternet...i am unfortunately not your man for that.

Yes, the car has been fantastic...had 3 little issues of which 2 i had no idea about and did not affect the driving of the car...they were picked up when it was in for a service and rectified under the warranty.

Whilst in for the service and then the warranty work, McLaren Glasgow determined corrosion on the wings and bonnet; i am ocd about paintwork and i sure as st had never noticed it...anyways they tied that in whilst it was there; new wings, bonnet and ppf. For me...total result as there were a few little stonechips i was annoyed about.

The paint match on the Volcano Orange was flawless, contrary to what others have posted that whole sides require painting as it won't match.

That to me is how a dealer should 'deal' with issues...be proactive rather than reactive where possible.

All work done very quickly to an extremely high standard with car collected, courtesy car dropped off and same again when work complete and 1st class communication maintained throughout.

As i said before, i am sorry if all i can offer is a fully positive experience of my Mac and Mclaren Glasgow, but that is how it actually is / has been.
You could do it like the latest video on the supercardriver with the owner of the 675lt - no one will know it is you!

Matty3

377 posts

34 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
650spider said:
jayemm89 said:
If you wanna go on camera and tell the world how brilliant your McLaren has been, I'm more than happy to arrange that. It's only fair. And I'm missing a 650 video
I don't even do social media, and there is not even so much as a single image of me of the tinternet...i am unfortunately not your man for that.

Yes, the car has been fantastic...had 3 little issues of which 2 i had no idea about and did not affect the driving of the car...they were picked up when it was in for a service and rectified under the warranty.

Whilst in for the service and then the warranty work, McLaren Glasgow determined corrosion on the wings and bonnet; i am ocd about paintwork and i sure as st had never noticed it...anyways they tied that in whilst it was there; new wings, bonnet and ppf. For me...total result as there were a few little stonechips i was annoyed about.

The paint match on the Volcano Orange was flawless, contrary to what others have posted that whole sides require painting as it won't match.

That to me is how a dealer should 'deal' with issues...be proactive rather than reactive where possible.

All work done very quickly to an extremely high standard with car collected, courtesy car dropped off and same again when work complete and 1st class communication maintained throughout.

As i said before, i am sorry if all i can offer is a fully positive experience of my Mac and Mclaren Glasgow, but that is how it actually is / has been.
Sorry to be another party pooper but my McL ownership to date totally mirrors 650spider experience with the exception that I have not had any paint issues and my dealer is McLeeds smile - it is honestly the most exceptional car I have ever owned smile

650spider

776 posts

121 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
Matty3 said:
650spider said:
jayemm89 said:
If you wanna go on camera and tell the world how brilliant your McLaren has been, I'm more than happy to arrange that. It's only fair. And I'm missing a 650 video
I don't even do social media, and there is not even so much as a single image of me of the tinternet...i am unfortunately not your man for that.

Yes, the car has been fantastic...had 3 little issues of which 2 i had no idea about and did not affect the driving of the car...they were picked up when it was in for a service and rectified under the warranty.

Whilst in for the service and then the warranty work, McLaren Glasgow determined corrosion on the wings and bonnet; i am ocd about paintwork and i sure as st had never noticed it...anyways they tied that in whilst it was there; new wings, bonnet and ppf. For me...total result as there were a few little stonechips i was annoyed about.

The paint match on the Volcano Orange was flawless, contrary to what others have posted that whole sides require painting as it won't match.

That to me is how a dealer should 'deal' with issues...be proactive rather than reactive where possible.

All work done very quickly to an extremely high standard with car collected, courtesy car dropped off and same again when work complete and 1st class communication maintained throughout.

As i said before, i am sorry if all i can offer is a fully positive experience of my Mac and Mclaren Glasgow, but that is how it actually is / has been.
Sorry to be another party pooper but my McL ownership to date totally mirrors 650spider experience with the exception that I have not had any paint issues and my dealer is McLeeds smile - it is honestly the most exceptional car I have ever owned smile
thumbup

I was only miffed about the paintwork as Mac Glasgow top trumped my own levels of paintwork OCD...i swear there was nothing i could determine anywhere.

Sport220

166 posts

25 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
Sorry but that video title is just wrong / clickbaity. Why not "...buying a McLaren from McLManchester"?

jayemm89

2,508 posts

80 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
Because it isn't exclusively Manchester issues.

What are the 650 wings made from? It'd be worth knowing where to look for corrosion for the benefit of my 650 owning friend - although his leads a pampered life.

GRD 8

42 posts

16 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
Matty3 said:
Sorry to be another party pooper but my McL ownership to date totally mirrors 650spider experience with the exception that I have not had any paint issues and my dealer is McLeeds smile - it is honestly the most exceptional car I have ever owned smile
+1
Only had a minor issue with door catch which Mcbristol sorted under warranty, other than that my 650 spider has been faultless and McBristol have been excellent.

Matty3

377 posts

34 months

Sunday 22nd December 2019
quotequote all
jayemm89 said:
Because it isn't exclusively Manchester issues.

What are the 650 wings made from? It'd be worth knowing where to look for corrosion for the benefit of my 650 owning friend - although his leads a pampered life.
You are moving onto wider issues now - there are always going to be issues with any Marque - you are looking as you have an agenda?

Is your friend????? bereft of making his own enquiries?