Warranty advice please

Warranty advice please

Author
Discussion

ghost83

4,632 posts

159 months

Thursday 18th February
quotequote all
On a sport series 3k in the scheme of things isn’t a lot of money to spend on a warranty, Christ I spend more than that on eating out in a year I’d personally get it inspected and warranties by Mclaren,


MOD500

2,668 posts

219 months

Thursday 18th February
quotequote all
Is important to check £claim limit per single claim under the various warranty options you're considering. If have serious drivetrain issue is possible that £10-20k bill to fix. If a policy has say £10k claim limit then you could be left exposed in event of major failure. My understanding is that only the pukka Mc warranty has claim limit up-to value of car, whether this be 1 claim or accumulative total of number of claims.

Edited by MOD500 on Thursday 18th February 16:31

xcentric

647 posts

188 months

Thursday 18th February
quotequote all
Thorney have a limit of £10k because they feel that they can fix everything for this price - so they will rebuild gearbox, or engine, etc. and it will be under this.

However, my view is that, if this really is the case, then they might as well have a no-limit warranty, as they know what their costs are - so whilst I see where they are coming from, it's still a very slight concern. But if you wanted to save money on a warranty, the almost-the-same cover from Thorney at a lower price is a good option to have in the marketplace.....


GT Two

3,056 posts

161 months

Thursday 18th February
quotequote all
Ask them how much stock they keep, Mclaren themselves have been caught short on parts availability. I wouldn't want to be further down the chain waiting for a part. How much preference do you think an external company will get?


Smoothound

137 posts

15 months

Friday 19th February
quotequote all
GT Two said:
Ask them how much stock they keep, Mclaren themselves have been caught short on parts availability. I wouldn't want to be further down the chain waiting for a part. How much preference do you think an external company will get?
Currently and unfortunately for me it appears I am currently falling foul of this issue! No stock of the part required to fix my car as in it's not out of stock they just don't keep stock! I have been told it is supplied to order by the manufacturer and I'm now wondering how many have to be ordered before the manufacturer actually makes them? It's annoying considering it's not a Senna or P1 just a Sport Series which is about as mass produced as Mclaren get I thought?

iridium_moon

49 posts

27 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
TP321 said:
You must have much bigger balls than me to not insure your house in order to save £600 per annum...
It’s more like £2,000 pa, just for the house. And it’s nothing to do with testicular capacity, it’s all about hazard analysis, and developing a lower-than-average risk profile.

650spider said:
... I am sure that if God forbid an electrical fault caused your house to burn down, the impending £500k loss would be of more concern than the £100k saved over 30 yrs by not insuring anything. ...
A very fair point, but the chances are that my house will not burn down, so I can trouser the £100K without worrying too much.

I did ask some firemen I worked with what actually starts house fires. They said on the now rare occasions it happens, it's chip pans, smoking in bed, electrical faults, and arson.

I don't own a chip pan, don't smoke, studied the BS 7671 wiring regulations, took the exam to become a qualified electrician, then rewired my house to modern standards, with all circuits having 30mA RCBO protection. And if an arsonist chooses to visit, he will be astounded by the robust response he gets from my security system.

Like I say, it's all about risk reduction smile

Wacky Racer

34,607 posts

216 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
A mate of mine bought a new dishwasher, set it running on the very first night, went to bed and it set on fire at 1am.

Fortunately the smoke detectors saved him, wife and two kids.

House (5 bedroomed detached) was completely gutted and had to be rebuilt, the insurance company put them up in a hotel for six months.

I appreciate not many houses burn down, but for the sake of a few hundred quid is it worth the risk?


fridaypassion

5,692 posts

197 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
I had a similar conundrum last year when I got my 458 I was looking at buying from an indie and so not getting the 2 year ferrari warranty. I use two warranty providers in my work one only had a 5k limit and the other one 10k which I didn't feel was enough. If you need a new gearbox ir will be more than 10k. A new engine will be 30? 40? These aftermarket warranties are not adequate in my opinion due to the claim limits. The little bits they can cover you might as well keep the 3k in your own bank its when something really goes wrong you need the warranty. I'll renew when the time comes. Out of interest who underwrites the Thorney warranty? We use WMS who are good but always nice to have other options. WMS have the largest claim limit I have found of 10k.

Jim82

155 posts

31 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
drcarrera said:
My general philosophy is if I can afford the potential loss, I don't insure. So my house and contents, and cars, are insured but nothing else.
Car warranties sort of fall in a middle ground for me as even though I could technically afford any work that may need to be done there's something to be said for the peace of mind of knowing that anything that could go wrong is covered. That's particularly true of the Mac warranty that is so comprehensive, meaning that you're not only insuring against the big cost items but little niggly issues as well.
Currently, neither of my older cars have warranties - although I did get lucky when the 15K cost of an engine issue in one of them was covered by the manufacturer as a goodwill gesture!

Personally, with a Mac, I'd want a warranty for the first year of ownership, then see how I felt beyond that.
Exactly my plan !

TP321

1,330 posts

167 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
fridaypassion said:
...Out of interest who underwrites the Thorney warranty? .
I think it’s underwritten by themselves - and that’s what would worry me

sjc

11,921 posts

239 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
The Thorney one is circa 10 quid a day,the same as a 10 minute visit to Costa.Whether it’s a Mclaren or any other Supercar for that money, I don’t know why you wouldn’t.

Sarnie

7,080 posts

178 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
sjc said:
The Thorney one is circa 10 quid a day,the same as a 10 minute visit to Costa.Whether it’s a Mclaren or any other Supercar for that money, I don’t know why you wouldn’t.
Because it's money for old rope. McLaren want me to pay circa £2,800 a year. That to me tells me that McLaren think they will be in profit over that 12 months at £2,800. So they think my car is NOT going to cost them more than £2,800 in claims. So if they think that, then I'll agree with them and not pay them the £2,800 and bank it instead.......

Streetbeat

118 posts

45 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
I was a bit suprised yesterday after some research on a private sale and warranty between Mac dealers, my local dealers inspection fee was 300 which was waived if you took out the warranty, a mac dealer closer to the car was 362 plus and not waived if you susequently warrantied. I really would have thought all dealers would be on a level playing field with warranty stuff.

sjc

11,921 posts

239 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
sjc said:
The Thorney one is circa 10 quid a day,the same as a 10 minute visit to Costa.Whether it’s a Mclaren or any other Supercar for that money, I don’t know why you wouldn’t.
Because it's money for old rope. McLaren want me to pay circa £2,800 a year. That to me tells me that McLaren think they will be in profit over that 12 months at £2,800. So they think my car is NOT going to cost them more than £2,800 in claims. So if they think that, then I'll agree with them and not pay them the £2,800 and bank it instead.......
I certainly take your point, but I’d suggest they more think that over total amount of cars they’d make a profit, not particularly yours.
As someone who is hoping to get a used one in the not too distant future I’d simply like the piece of mind at less than 10 quid a day.I’m not saying that as Mclaren specific, just any genuine supercar. A few years back I had a Granturismo, that I bought privately with the Maserati extended warranty. I’d be 7 grand down in 8 months without it... albeit it was literally bumper to bumper so included trim coming unstuck even.
No doubt it’s attitude to risk, I just wouldn’t want any warning light or noise on any Supercar spoiling the dream.

Sarnie

7,080 posts

178 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
sjc said:
I certainly take your point, but I’d suggest they more think that over total amount of cars they’d make a profit, not particularly yours.
As someone who is hoping to get a used one in the not too distant future I’d simply like the piece of mind at less than 10 quid a day.I’m not saying that as Mclaren specific, just any genuine supercar. A few years back I had a Granturismo, that I bought privately with the Maserati extended warranty. I’d be 7 grand down in 8 months without it... albeit it was literally bumper to bumper so included trim coming unstuck even.
No doubt it’s attitude to risk, I just wouldn’t want any warning light or noise on any Supercar spoiling the dream.
It doesn't matter if its one car or one hundred as a whole....they think there is profit in it for them at £2,800. Of course, there are cars that will have claims way over that amount......but when you've owned your car for nearly 4 years, you know it inside out, it's never had a dash light come on, I'm not going to pay nearly £3k a year because it might suddenly disintegrate in my garage when I know it's history and that it's a good car.......the more people that did this the more confidence buyers would have in buying used McLarens rather than every one thinking that it's a must have....

WhenIi had my 12c, I paid £5,600 for a service and warranty............thats a ridiculous amount, which I regretted once I realised that I'd allowed myself to be swayed by internet horror stories......never again for me but if it helps people sleep, then more power to them smile

JA51ON W

243 posts

185 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
I think I would have the warranty/add the warranty for the first year off ownership, once you’ve learnt how your car is, wether it’s a good or bad one then you can decide to renew warranty or not. I purchased mine with no warranty 4 years ago and have had no need for one, but the first year worried me until I got familiar with my 12c.

sjc

11,921 posts

239 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
sjc said:
I certainly take your point, but I’d suggest they more think that over total amount of cars they’d make a profit, not particularly yours.
As someone who is hoping to get a used one in the not too distant future I’d simply like the piece of mind at less than 10 quid a day.I’m not saying that as Mclaren specific, just any genuine supercar. A few years back I had a Granturismo, that I bought privately with the Maserati extended warranty. I’d be 7 grand down in 8 months without it... albeit it was literally bumper to bumper so included trim coming unstuck even.
No doubt it’s attitude to risk, I just wouldn’t want any warning light or noise on any Supercar spoiling the dream.
It doesn't matter if its one car or one hundred as a whole....they think there is profit in it for them at £2,800. Of course, there are cars that will have claims way over that amount......but when you've owned your car for nearly 4 years, you know it inside out, it's never had a dash light come on, I'm not going to pay nearly £3k a year because it might suddenly disintegrate in my garage when I know it's history and that it's a good car.......the more people that did this the more confidence buyers would have in buying used McLarens rather than every one thinking that it's a must have....

WhenIi had my 12c, I paid £5,600 for a service and warranty............thats a ridiculous amount, which I regretted once I realised that I'd allowed myself to be swayed by internet horror stories......never again for me but if it helps people sleep, then more power to them smile
Again, I certainly get it, but my perspective might be different maybe if I’d had the car from new and was going into the 4th year happy with the car,rather than buying out of warranty.

TP321

1,330 posts

167 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Sarnie said:
Because it's money for old rope. McLaren want me to pay circa £2,800 a year. That to me tells me that McLaren think they will be in profit over that 12 months at £2,800. So they think my car is NOT going to cost them more than £2,800 in claims. So if they think that, then I'll agree with them and not pay them the £2,800 and bank it instead.......
Yes there is prof in it- but not by covering one car but by covering 100. So if you are going to run without warranty, then just hope it’s not the gearbox in your car which fails. McLaren will most certainly be hoping that. When will people realise that these cars are simply too complex to be taking risks with - and parts are outrageously expensive. Surely if you can afford the car you can afford the warranty

johnnyreggae

2,642 posts

129 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
Smoothound said:
No stock of the part required to fix my car as in it's not out of stock they just don't keep stock! I have been told it is supplied to order by the manufacturer and I'm now wondering how many have to be ordered before the manufacturer actually makes them?
Are you prepared to tell us what part is the problem ?

CABC

4,388 posts

70 months

Saturday 20th February
quotequote all
TP321 said:
Sarnie said:
Because it's money for old rope. McLaren want me to pay circa £2,800 a year. That to me tells me that McLaren think they will be in profit over that 12 months at £2,800. So they think my car is NOT going to cost them more than £2,800 in claims. So if they think that, then I'll agree with them and not pay them the £2,800 and bank it instead.......
Yes there is prof in it- but not by covering one car but by covering 100. So if you are going to run without warranty, then just hope it’s not the gearbox in your car which fails. McLaren will most certainly be hoping that. When will people realise that these cars are simply too complex to be taking risks with - and parts are outrageously expensive. Surely if you can afford the car you can afford the warranty
in some situations the warranty would be considered profitable if covering at cost prices for parts and labour, not the considerably higher prices for retail. so a manufacturer could be seen to "stand by their product" for just £2800. That 2800 could represent over 5k at retail prices.

Are McLaren and dealers efficient with warranty claims? is it drop the car off and all done, no admin or claim procedures?
For me, any faff would be a hassle i could do without.