Potential 650S Spider purchase - thoughts welcome

Potential 650S Spider purchase - thoughts welcome

Author
Discussion

davek_964

7,624 posts

142 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
Meeko said:
Thanks - I thought Volcano paint wasn’t available outside of McLaren circles, but could be wrong. The rest of the car was mint. Don’t really want to be in a position where it needs repainting if it peeled more.
No paint is available outside of McLaren approved bodyshops. But I guess that doesn't mean it was a perfect job.

It might be factory paint, but as I said, not something I've ever heard of

Meeko

Original Poster:

138 posts

203 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
Thanks-he’s having a body shop check it tomorrow and see if can she’s some light on it and if it can be improved.

The other issue was with condensation in the tail light. I know they all do it but is that covered by Mcwarranty?

davek_964

7,624 posts

142 months

Tuesday 1st June
quotequote all
Some people have had the lights done under warranty. Some - including me - haven't, and I was told the official line from the warranty company is it's not covered (because it counts as water ingress which is excluded).

They are not expensive though. My indicator cost me £250, so not really a big deal

BlackR8

371 posts

44 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Meeko said:
Thanks-he’s having a body shop check it tomorrow and see if can she’s some light on it and if it can be improved.

The other issue was with condensation in the tail light. I know they all do it but is that covered by Mcwarranty?
I was also told by the McLaren Main Dealer that condensation on front or rear lights is not covered by their warranty. From your reading your posts on this thread it feels like you're not entirely happy with this car so if it doesn't feel right it may be better to walk away as there will always be others.

Edited by BlackR8 on Wednesday 2nd June 11:46

12pack

1,298 posts

135 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Meeko said:
Just viewed the VR 650S and noticed a couple of issues with the paint work. I'd be really grateful for people's thoughts. The first shows a thin paint line under the lacquer on the front wing where it meets the bumper, and the 2nd shows some paint lifting on the rear where the wing meets the bumper. He said it's "McLaren quality control". Has anyone seen this before?



AFAIK original paint is covered by OEM warranty for 8(?) years outside of an extended warranty.

davek_964

7,624 posts

142 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
12pack said:
AFAIK original paint is covered by OEM warranty for 8(?) years outside of an extended warranty.
The official warranty for paint / bodywork is split in two I believe. 'Paint' is 5 years, corrosion is 10.

drcarrera

726 posts

192 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Could the second pic be corrosion? Not clear if it's an alu panel or not.

Meeko

Original Poster:

138 posts

203 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
The second picture is of the rear wing which is alluminium - it looks to be peeling off. I've read heat can cause rippling but can't see that area would get hot.

After viewing 3x 650S in the last week, it's defintely a minefield!

davek_964

7,624 posts

142 months

Wednesday 2nd June
quotequote all
Meeko said:
The second picture is of the rear wing which is alluminium - it looks to be peeling off. I've read heat can cause rippling but can't see that area would get hot.

After viewing 3x 650S in the last week, it's defintely a minefield!
I'm pretty sure the rear wing on a 650 is not aluminium. I believe the bonnet is, and maybe the roof (at least on the spider) - but the rest of the bodywork is carbon. It's one of the big differences between sports and super series.

12pack

1,298 posts

135 months

Thursday 3rd June
quotequote all
Meeko said:
The second picture is of the rear wing which is alluminium - it looks to be peeling off. I've read heat can cause rippling but can't see that area would get hot.

After viewing 3x 650S in the last week, it's defintely a minefield!
Hmm, I guess the good ones have found homes. With the weather, been with the top down on mine all this week. Definitely a keeper.

JerryEXE

262 posts

66 months

Thursday 3rd June
quotequote all
davek_964 said:
I'm pretty sure the rear wing on a 650 is not aluminium. I believe the bonnet is, and maybe the roof (at least on the spider) - but the rest of the bodywork is carbon. It's one of the big differences between sports and super series.
You are correct that most of the 650 panels are not aluminium but they are also not carbon. Most of the bodywork is a plastic composite.

I don’t think the paint issue being discussed is common and would be ringing alarm bells for me.