MG eZS

Author
Discussion

kambites

57,335 posts

166 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
Dave Hedgehog said:
adult 71% and child 51% are very low thou, seat arona gets 95% and 80%
Yup, it lacks warning bongs for rear seat passenger belts; central rear isofix; etc.

It's never going to be the safest car in the world, but people tend to see three stars and say "it's awful" without appreciating the fact that whatever they're driving now probably wouldn't manage even that. NCAP has got to the point where the overall star-rating is utterly useless as an actual indicator of safety, IMO. It's basically become a box-ticking exercise with ever more boxes to be ticked.

As I said, personally I'm more than happy with the safety of our old Octavia so I'd be absolutely delighted with the safety of this.

Edited by kambites on Wednesday 31st July 14:30

Nice But Dim

429 posts

152 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
My wife coming out of a Defender with zero everything into a ZS is awash with safety features

We picked up a 2 month old demo Excite petrol demo today and it is - for the 12k price - pretty amazing...

gangzoom

2,124 posts

160 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
kambites said:
As I said, personally I'm more than happy with the safety of our old Octavia so I'd be absolutely delighted with the safety of this.

Edited by kambites on Wednesday 31st July 14:30
Download the NCAP reports and look the dummy damage description.

2013 Octavia is alot better than the MG for actual damage protection, and even 2009 Octavia doesn't have any red/poor damage as the MG does. Child safety rating on the MG is also rated as poor.

In a crash you and your family are less likely to suffer major injury in a 2009 Octavia than a 2019 MG.

If you want to see what a good 5 star car performs like look at the Model 3 report, the whole dummy is pretty much green.

Its not just the electronic aids.

gangzoom

2,124 posts

160 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
Nice But Dim said:
My wife coming out of a Defender with zero everything into a ZS is awash with safety features
No amount of electronic aids will stop an idiot from smashing into you.

When you realise that idiot hit the exact place where your daughter is normally sitting your be glad you spent a bit extra on a safer car.

On the face of it the damage to my car was so minor even the powered doors still worked...





Than you see the other guys car and realise it was anything but minor...


kambites

57,335 posts

166 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
gangzoom said:
Download the NCAP reports and look the dummy damage description.
I have. The MG did badly in two areas for front seat passengers - the full-width frontal impact test, which didn't exit in the pre-2009 NCAP test and hence wasn't run against the Octavia, and the "abnormal sized/placed dummies" thing which... wasn't in the pre-2009 test and hence wasn't considered for the Octavia.

The MG also got marginal results for rear seat dummy loadings which... weren't in the test for the Octavia.


As far as I can see the MG did better in every single test which was run comparably against both car.

Edited by kambites on Wednesday 31st July 15:34

kambites

57,335 posts

166 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
gangzoom said:
No amount of electronic aids will stop an idiot from smashing into you.

When you realise that idiot hit the exact place where your daughter is normally sitting your be glad you spent a bit extra on a safer car.
Err, the MG scored the maximum possible in side-impact tests...

Zoon

4,222 posts

66 months

Wednesday 31st July
quotequote all
kambites said:
Err, the MG scored the maximum possible in side-impact tests...
But it didn't cost £82k+ so it can't be any good.

Witchfinder

Original Poster:

5,394 posts

197 months

kambites

57,335 posts

166 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
I think residuals are going to be fascinating. On the one hand it's an EV and generally they've had very strong residuals; on the other if MG can really meet their stated aim of having no supply limitations... well it's a modern MG and they hardly have stellar residuals. If it's possible to pick one of these up for ~£10k in three years' time with four years still on the warranty it'll be a very compelling proposition as a family runaround.

Dave Hedgehog

11,069 posts

149 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
Witchfinder said:
defiantly the right time to move to EV for me the momentum is building quickly, and pure luck work are getting 20 charging points and only i will have an EV lol

i could hardly move in the tesla showroom it was so busy


SWoll

7,838 posts

203 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
Definitely time to invest in a decent home charging solution (7kW minimum). If these really do fly out of the UK door public charging is going to become more problematic as doubt it's going to keep up with demand?

RobDickinson

27,029 posts

199 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
SWoll said:
Definitely time to invest in a decent home charging solution (7kW minimum). If these really do fly out of the UK door public charging is going to become more problematic as doubt it's going to keep up with demand?
It has a 44kwh battery, even a 3kw charger will likely top it up overnight (14 hours 0-100 but your unlikely to have it completely empty)

Dave Hedgehog

11,069 posts

149 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
SWoll said:
Definitely time to invest in a decent home charging solution (7kW minimum). If these really do fly out of the UK door public charging is going to become more problematic as doubt it's going to keep up with demand?
mines being fitted next friday smile

oop north

998 posts

73 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
Even something with a weeny battery like my i3 60ah had (19 kWh I think) would be intolerable without a 7kW charger. In fact the smaller the battery the more you need a Faster charger as you will more often need a quick top up to go somewhere.

kambites

57,335 posts

166 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
yes One of the reasons EVs have finally become of interest to me as a next family car is that their range has finally got to the point where I would never need to charge in a hurry.

SWoll

7,838 posts

203 months

Thursday 1st August
quotequote all
RobDickinson said:
SWoll said:
Definitely time to invest in a decent home charging solution (7kW minimum). If these really do fly out of the UK door public charging is going to become more problematic as doubt it's going to keep up with demand?
It has a 44kwh battery, even a 3kw charger will likely top it up overnight (14 hours 0-100 but your unlikely to have it completely empty)
My comment was more based on us having an i3 currently and a Model 3 joining it soon. We use Polar public charging quite regularly as free to use and local to us but if the number of EV's on the road increases dramatically i can see availability being an issue so a faster solution for home charging would become a must.

oop north said:
Even something with a weeny battery like my i3 60ah had (19 kWh I think) would be intolerable without a 7kW charger. In fact the smaller the battery the more you need a Faster charger as you will more often need a quick top up to go somewhere.
Can't say we've had any issues home charging our 120ah i3 over the past 4 months but as above if we go full EV with a Model 3 also then that will become a different challenge.

Edited by SWoll on Thursday 1st August 12:49

Mikehig

24 posts

6 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
Swoll; you may be the first on here with two EVs. How will you organise home charging: will you have two chargers and an uprated supply?

RobDickinson

27,029 posts

199 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
Ah for 2 cars you'll need more charging for sure

Zoon

4,222 posts

66 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
Mikehig said:
Swoll; you may be the first on here with two EVs. How will you organise home charging: will you have two chargers and an uprated supply?
If mileage isn't an issue, take turns every night.

SWoll

7,838 posts

203 months

Friday 2nd August
quotequote all
Zoon said:
Mikehig said:
Swoll; you may be the first on here with two EVs. How will you organise home charging: will you have two chargers and an uprated supply?
If mileage isn't an issue, take turns every night.
Exactly, no need to charge both at the same time.

The plan is to get a 7kwh pod point installed at home to speed up the process, particularly for the M3. The range of the 2 cars (i3 - 150, M3 - 250) will mean they both only need charging fully once or possibly twice a week at home for our use and if we are going on a longer trip I'll just plan to use a public charger. We also have a local Waitrose with a 50kw Polar charger so can pop down and top a car up for free whilst we shop/have a coffee if necessary

Don't see it being an issue TBH, just needs a bit of planning.