classic Le Mans what are you driving?

classic Le Mans what are you driving?

Author
Discussion

MDT

372 posts

105 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
4321go said:
I’m assuming that you’re not dropping an Isuzu diesel in there?
No no there's a XK to go back in that was rebuilt 2 years ago. will put my hands up, it might have been a idea to start the project to fit a 5 speed box in a few weeks earlier :-) a few more late nights this week then.

4321go

317 posts

120 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
The Eleven runs a Ford T9 5-speed ‘box which makes it much more useable! Meanwhile, that’ll be a lovely car for a jaunt down to France (and maybe a bank job on the way back wink )

Dazmonsta1

13 posts

27 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
Driving this down for our 4th Classic Le Mans

Dazmonsta1

13 posts

27 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
.... she has a large bottom too!

The Leaper

3,023 posts

139 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
Daz,

That reminds me of the time my son and I went to the first Le Classic Le Mans. Close to the circuit entrance we followed maybe a dozen or so repro Ford GT 40s and our allocated space in Parking Blanc meant we parked alongside them!

R.
Advertisement

Geo22

137 posts

99 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
B'stard Child said:
MDT said:
ferry in 9 days... not yet ready :-)

Mine looks very similar........
Would seem the are a few of us in the same boat, gearbox is coming out of mine tonight... Hope the new one goes in ok.
Really wish I hadn't ignored that whine for so long! haha

Truckosaurus

6,537 posts

217 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
Just got a fresh MoT in time for the trip. In the words of the tester, "its no surprise an old Lexus passes with flying colours", although it is not really old enough to be a 'youngtimer' yet.


BenLowden

1,187 posts

110 months

PH Marketing Bloke

PH STAFF

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
Hope to see a few of you at our Friday Service, we'll be handing smileys out so surely that alone is a reason to attend! More details here if you haven't seen it already: https://www.pistonheads.com/news/general-pistonhea...


B'stard Child

15,140 posts

179 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
Geo22 said:
B'stard Child said:
MDT said:
ferry in 9 days... not yet ready :-)

Mine looks very similar........
Would seem the are a few of us in the same boat, gearbox is coming out of mine tonight... Hope the new one goes in ok.
Really wish I hadn't ignored that whine for so long! haha
Lol

I really wish I had the engine out for this job




30 silicone hoses - not even half way through and one little st has taken me all evening

B'stard Child

15,140 posts

179 months

Monday 25th June
quotequote all
Maybe we should start a thread - "what have you got left to do before the 2018 Le Mans Classic"

update your progress and that sort of thing - might help with motivation biggrin












Well might help with mine biggrin

MDT

372 posts

105 months

Tuesday 26th June
quotequote all
B'stard Child said:
Maybe we should start a thread - "what have you got left to do before the 2018 Le Mans Classic"

update your progress and that sort of thing - might help with motivation biggrin

Well might help with mine biggrin
That is a lot of hoes to fight with, access looks to be on your side too :-)


Well the gearbox swap was plan B as I have not quite got time to get the other project through the IVA test ahhhhhh Managed to get a lot done last night including picking up the new propshaft (which fits)


Edited by MDT on Tuesday 26th June 07:50

Geo22

137 posts

99 months

Tuesday 26th June
quotequote all
B'stard Child said:
Lol

I really wish I had the engine out for this job




30 silicone hoses - not even half way through and one little st has taken me all evening
Good news! With the help of my brother-in-law(I knew in-laws had some uses) we managed to get the old gearbox out and the new one in last night. Only took 5 hours! We just have to check everything over, fill it with oil and should be good to go. Had a few issues along the way and the Mrs had locked me out when I got home at midnight but she let me in eventually. lol

Briza

86 posts

83 months

Tuesday 26th June
quotequote all

Getting the ferry from Hull to Zeebugge Thursday evening and driving down from there! cant wait!

B'stard Child

15,140 posts

179 months

Tuesday 26th June
quotequote all
Geo22 said:
Good news! With the help of my brother-in-law(I knew in-laws had some uses) we managed to get the old gearbox out and the new one in last night. Only took 5 hours! We just have to check everything over, fill it with oil and should be good to go. Had a few issues along the way and the Mrs had locked me out when I got home at midnight but she let me in eventually. lol
Excellent progress

I'd post another picture of mine but It looks the same biggrin

18 hoses out of 30 now fitted and a custom heat shield (the last one of a full set that I never fitted 4 years ago) now fits without brute force

The next picture will look a lot worse as to do two hoses the front bumper needs to come off

So I've spent most of the evening drilling out the rusty fixings (already had stainless screws ready - purchased last time I had the bumper off knowing they were a bit chewed up and rusty then,,,,,,,,)

MDT

372 posts

105 months

Wednesday 27th June
quotequote all
Well got the Jag finished off last night, new gearbox is working well. Once I have done a few more miles I will be happy.

And looks like the weather is going to be a bit cooler than the predicted 30+ so all the better for camping

B'stard Child

15,140 posts

179 months

Wednesday 27th June
quotequote all
MDT said:
Well got the Jag finished off last night, new gearbox is working well. Once I have done a few more miles I will be happy.

And looks like the weather is going to be a bit cooler than the predicted 30+ so all the better for camping
Looks like I’ll be cutting it fine then compared to you

Cooler temps will be welcome for camping for sure

Mellow Yellow

696 posts

195 months

Wednesday 27th June
quotequote all
Just had the call to say it'll be ready on Friday. Got a 250 mile trip planned for this weekend to give it a good shakedown:

AlvinSultana

249 posts

82 months

Wednesday 27th June
quotequote all
Decisions.



Space for everything in the old bone shaker Vera, or travel light ..........

B'stard Child

15,140 posts

179 months

Wednesday 27th June
quotequote all
Seeing as everyone else is ready bar loading up



I might need to make a better job of the bumper alignment

Paul-427

16 posts

19 months

Wednesday 27th June
quotequote all


Driving up from South West France and parking with the Shelby Club France