Tesla Full Self Driving Test Software Goes Live in U.S

Tesla Full Self Driving Test Software Goes Live in U.S

Author
Discussion

Carl_Manchester

Original Poster:

7,826 posts

226 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Some People here said it couldn’t be done but here we are in 2020.

From social media.


The Wookie

12,549 posts

192 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
‘Beware this system might steer you into an oncoming truck, make sure you pay attention and it’s not our fault if you crash. Enjoy.’

hyphen

19,518 posts

54 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Carl_Manchester said:
Some People here said it couldn’t be done...
It hasn't been done.

Its beta and comes with warnings and disclaimers. It's not signed off by any governments.

Its good to see though, and a shout out to those paying for the privelage of being guinea pigs and offering free time, labour and costs to Tesla. And my sympathy to any victims that may occur when a driver fails to take control in time.


Carl_Manchester

Original Poster:

7,826 posts

226 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
The Wookie said:
‘Beware this system might steer you into an oncoming truck, make sure you pay attention and it’s not our fault if you crash. Enjoy.’
The counterpoint is that the same could be read out to an 80 year old pensioner at the wheel of his/her 20 year old Nissan Micra as the ignition key is turned.

SidewaysSi

8,709 posts

198 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Oh yippee, another Tesla thread. Wonderful.

donkmeister

3,363 posts

64 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Carl_Manchester said:
The Wookie said:
‘Beware this system might steer you into an oncoming truck, make sure you pay attention and it’s not our fault if you crash. Enjoy.’
The counterpoint is that the same could be read out to an 80 year old pensioner at the wheel of his/her 20 year old Nissan Micra as the ignition key is turned.
Which backs up the point he's making... It's not (yet) a competent driver who should be allowed to drive unsupervised. As a beta release it will be deployed widely and some of the people who install it won't supervise it adequately... These people will have some stupid, incredibly avoidable crashes because they will be complacent instead of heeding the warning.

The Wookie

12,549 posts

192 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Carl_Manchester said:
The counterpoint is that the same could be read out to an 80 year old pensioner at the wheel of his/her 20 year old Nissan Micra as the ignition key is turned.
Firstly if they’re not safe they shouldn’t be driving. secondly there isn’t a dangerous 80 year old behind the wheel of every Nissan Micra there is

Although I will concede the world isn’t short of Nissan Micras piloted by incompetent giffers

Mikehig

278 posts

25 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Meanwhile, down at the racetrack......
https://news.yahoo.com/self-driving-race-car-drove...


rxe

4,772 posts

67 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Humans are not biologically designed for a context switch requiring sub second inputs. This has been proven time and again in air accident investigations. We’re really good at doing something that requires concentration, but we’re really crap at doing something else and then suddenly being asked to make an unrelated decision.

This experimentation is ridiculously dangerous, and and accidents should have the full weight of driving without due care and/or dangerous driving thrown at them in the U.K.

Smiljan

8,759 posts

161 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
Bendy road at 5 mph - no issue for FSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4asorQEhU&fe...

I think it has some ways to go yet. You have to remember they pushed this out to a load of youtubers just before announcing a price hike to try and get a load of people to buy the add on.

It's a sales tactic not a working system, even Tesla Bjorn today has been slating the normal Autopilot system for randomly slamming on the brakes. It really is such a long way from being ready now matter how impressive it can occasionally be.

mwstewart

6,045 posts

152 months

Saturday 31st October 2020
quotequote all
rxe said:
Humans are not biologically designed for a context switch requiring sub second inputs. This has been proven time and again in air accident investigations. We’re really good at doing something that requires concentration, but we’re really crap at doing something else and then suddenly being asked to make an unrelated decision.

This experimentation is ridiculously dangerous, and and accidents should have the full weight of driving without due care and/or dangerous driving thrown at them in the U.K.
Good post. Arguably it's a lot more than sub-second smile

frisbee

3,343 posts

74 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
Mikehig said:
Meanwhile, down at the racetrack......
https://news.yahoo.com/self-driving-race-car-drove...
That's half a lap further than Coulthard managed in some races.

gangzoom

3,833 posts

179 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
rxe said:
This experimentation is ridiculously dangerous, and and accidents should have the full weight of driving without due care and/or dangerous driving thrown at them in the U.K.
What about human drivers who cannot understand give way signs/traffic lights etc and cause scenes like this every day in every city often killing and injuring.

When the police arrived at the scenes all they cared about clearing the road. Absolutely no interest in prosecuting the human driver for driving without due care or attention, even though the only way this accident occurred was because of human error.

Surely the law should be applied in all cases, so why isn't it?


Smiljan

8,759 posts

161 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
gangzoom said:
What about human drivers who cannot understand give way signs/traffic lights etc and cause scenes like this every day in every city often killing and injuring.

When the police arrived at the scenes all they cared about clearing the road. Absolutely no interest in prosecuting the human driver for driving without due care or attention, even though the only way this accident occurred was because of human error.

Surely the law should be applied in all cases, so why isn't it?

[Img]https://live.staticflickr.com/4284/35229572236_16f84721bd_k_d.jpg[/thumb]
People are prosecuted all the time for causing accidents, maybe in your minor bump they didn't but it does happen a lot.

anonymous-user

18 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
Mikehig said:
Meanwhile, down at the racetrack......
https://news.yahoo.com/self-driving-race-car-drove...
Did the VTEC kick in, yo?
hehe

anonymous-user

18 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
A bit OT but I remember a science fiction horror story as a child where a robot was developed to test and improve motorbikes.
It would find issues with the bike and mend them.
It all went well until a human biker had an 'off'.
The robot identified the human as the problem and decided to set about trying to 'alter' him.
The short story ended there.
Eeeeek!

gangzoom

3,833 posts

179 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
Smiljan said:
People are prosecuted all the time for causing accidents, maybe in your minor bump they didn't but it does happen a lot.
Does that look like a 'minor' bump?? Air bags beployed both cars written off. But no human was prosecuted, so why would it be different if a computer was driving?

Smiljan

8,759 posts

161 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
Yep, kind of accident that happens every day. Airbags go off in pretty minor accidents. Did they really scrap that Model X?

gangzoom

3,833 posts

179 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
Smiljan said:
Yep, kind of accident that happens every day.
And yet we accept that as fine, so why would that be different for a car not driven by a human?

Yes my X got written off - knackered chassis, there a thread on it a while back.

The Wookie

12,549 posts

192 months

Sunday 1st November 2020
quotequote all
The answer is it’s not acceptable in either case. We should be holding human drivers to a higher standard.

Additionally the risk is that your accident happened with one dhead having a brain fart at that particular moment on a particular day. Every other day the dick head at least has the advantage of wanting to remain alive, not having to waste money on replacing the cars he’s written off and, we live in hope, learning from his mistakes.

If an autonomous car makes a mistake then every car with that software could make the same mistake again and again until the software is corrected. With under developed self learning algorithms the solution might not be obvious either, or might have other unforeseen negative implications.