Pictures of your Kit Car..?

Pictures of your Kit Car..?

Author
Discussion

Hedgehopper

1,490 posts

205 months

Saturday 3rd November 2018
quotequote all
In the old days they called them 'Specials' and more often than not were Ford 10 based. They were generally bought as a separate chassis and fibreglass body although many of them actually used the chassis from the donor Ford 10 itself. I don't remember any companies that actually sold a complete kit but there were plenty of bolt on goodies such as hydraulic brake conversions, twin carbs, aluminium cylinder heads and four branch exhausts etc, etc. Fibreglass was of course in its infancy then but it was available for special builders to make up floors and bulkheads as these were often not included with the bodies.

Special building came to an end with the arrival of the Mini which at just over £400'ish was what it would cost you to put together a decent special.

I built mine between '58 and '62 whilst I was an apprentice and was the start of my love affair with fibreglass cars. I guess I am addicted to the smell although my wife hates it especially when walked into the house on the soles of my shoes!

Growing family caused a bit of a gap but in the '80s I built a Europa Twin Cam onto a new chassis and used that as a daily driver for many years. I currently have TVR Griffith 500 which I love but am finding increasingly difficult to get out of! My son has got his eye on it but he will have to wait a bit yet.

The car below is the one I built in the late fifties, it's a Tornado chassis and an Ashley Laminates body, a Ford 10 engine with twin carbs and four branch exhaust, and cable brake to hydraulic conversion etc









Anyway, back to the Kit Car thread which I am really enjoying.

Edited by Hedgehopper on Saturday 3rd November 18:36

anonymous-user

15 months

Saturday 3rd November 2018
quotequote all
A lot of people said I shouldn't do it, but personally I like it


downsman

1,098 posts

117 months

Saturday 3rd November 2018
quotequote all
Hedgehopper said:
In the old days they called them 'Specials' and more often than not were Ford 10 based. They were generally bought as a separate chassis and fibreglass body although many of them actually used the chassis from the donor Ford 10 itself. I don't remember any companies that actually sold a complete kit but there were plenty of bolt on goodies such as hydraulic brake conversions, twin carbs, aluminium cylinder heads and four branch exhausts etc, etc. Fibreglass was of course in its infancy then but it was available for special builders to make up floors and bulkheads as these were often not included with the bodies.

Special building came to an end with the arrival of the Mini which at just over £400'ish was what it would cost you to put together a decent special.

I built mine between '58 and '62 whilst I was an apprentice and was the start of my love affair with fibreglass cars. I guess I am addicted to the smell although my wife hates it especially when walked into the house on the soles of my shoes!

Growing family caused a bit of a gap but in the '80s I built a Europa Twin Cam onto a new chassis and used that as a daily driver for many years. I currently have TVR Griffith 500 which I love but am finding increasingly difficult to get out of! My son has got his eye on it but he will have to wait a bit yet.

The car below is the one I built in the late fifties, it's a Tornado chassis and an Ashley Laminates body, a Ford 10 engine with twin carbs and four branch exhaust, and cable brake to hydraulic conversion etc









Anyway, back to the Kit Car thread which I am really enjoying.

Edited by Hedgehopper on Saturday 3rd November 18:36
What a great post! You made a very good job building that Ashley, from what I've read they were a lot more difficult to build than current kitcars. Yours looks great, but what were you thinking with that steering wheel?

Good to hear you're still enjoying your motoring smile

Hedgehopper

1,490 posts

205 months

Sunday 4th November 2018
quotequote all
QUOTE:

'You made a very good job building that Ashley, from what I've read they were a lot more difficult to build than current kitcars. Yours looks great, but what were you thinking with that steering wheel? '


Thanks for your interest. The steering wheel was that shape purely because my legs wouldn't fit under a round one! Specials in those days often left the manufacture of the floor and bulkheads up to the builder. Creating a low floor allowing you to sit between the chassis rails was not always possible hence the bottom of the steering wheel was too close to the driver's legs. In later years Austin had a similarly shaped wheel on the Allegro though for what reason I have no idea.

downsman

1,098 posts

117 months

Sunday 4th November 2018
quotequote all
Of course, that makes sense smile
You really were ahead of your time, because loads of "sporty" saloons now have a flat bottom wheel, but they have masses of space below, so it's just a fashion thing.

Skyedriver

10,976 posts

243 months

Sunday 4th November 2018
quotequote all
Hedgehopper said:
In the old days they called them 'Specials' and more often than not were Ford 10 based. They were generally bought as a separate chassis and fibreglass body although many of them actually used the chassis from the donor Ford 10 itself. I don't remember any companies that actually sold a complete kit but there were plenty of bolt on goodies such as hydraulic brake conversions, twin carbs, aluminium cylinder heads and four branch exhausts etc, etc. Fibreglass was of course in its infancy then but it was available for special builders to make up floors and bulkheads as these were often not included with the bodies.

Special building came to an end with the arrival of the Mini which at just over £400'ish was what it would cost you to put together a decent special.

I built mine between '58 and '62 whilst I was an apprentice and was the start of my love affair with fibreglass cars. I guess I am addicted to the smell although my wife hates it especially when walked into the house on the soles of my shoes!

Growing family caused a bit of a gap but in the '80s I built a Europa Twin Cam onto a new chassis and used that as a daily driver for many years. I currently have TVR Griffith 500 which I love but am finding increasingly difficult to get out of! My son has got his eye on it but he will have to wait a bit yet.

The car below is the one I built in the late fifties, it's a Tornado chassis and an Ashley Laminates body, a Ford 10 engine with twin carbs and four branch exhaust, and cable brake to hydraulic conversion etc









Anyway, back to the Kit Car thread which I am really enjoying.

Edited by Hedgehopper on Saturday 3rd November 18:36
Fantastic post, thanks. Back around 1975 I bought what was called a Ford Falcon 2 seater based upon a Ford 10 or E93A chassis, cable brakes etc. It was a none runner when I bought it, tinkered for a year then scrapped it.....Sort of MGA rear end, didn't have a screen, I tried to incorporate an MG Midget one, unsucessfully. Was 6 volt too.

Hedgehopper

1,490 posts

205 months

Monday 5th November 2018
quotequote all
Was it this one?...……

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/17351/this-falc...

It's amazing that people are finding these old specials and re-building them as classics.

Skyedriver

10,976 posts

243 months

Monday 5th November 2018
quotequote all
Hedgehopper said:
Was it this one?...……

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/17351/this-falc...

It's amazing that people are finding these old specials and re-building them as classics.
Loooong time ago but that is way prettier than the thing I had although the rear is a bit similar in regard to the boot aperture.

Grumpy Griff

168 posts

210 months

Monday 5th November 2018
quotequote all
I've been developing this for the last year or so

nearly ready for IVA

Grumpy Griff

168 posts

210 months

Monday 5th November 2018
quotequote all
Grumpy Griff said:
I've been developing this for the last year or so

nearly ready for IVA
and here's the engine


Blib

37,094 posts

158 months

Monday 5th November 2018
quotequote all
Thats terrific!

thumbup

downsman

1,098 posts

117 months

Tuesday 6th November 2018
quotequote all
Very nice biggrin

Nigel_O

1,944 posts

180 months

Thursday 8th November 2018
quotequote all
Not quite in the realms of some of the kit-car exotica earlier in this thread, but I thought I should show mine

2004 Westfield SEiW - 2-litre Zetec on Jenvey throttle bodies.




downsman

1,098 posts

117 months

Thursday 8th November 2018
quotequote all
Good photographs smile

spyder dryver

1,304 posts

177 months

Monday 19th November 2018
quotequote all
Here's a pic of my old Furyblade. I was experimenting with "hover-cars" at the time, using an advanced hybrid form of baking powder as the raising agent.
Unfortunately it wouldn't stay up for as long as I'd like (fnaar-fnaar) so I put the wheels back on.


Frankthered

1,432 posts

141 months

Monday 19th November 2018
quotequote all
spyder dryver said:
Here's a pic of my old Furyblade. I was experimenting with "hover-cars" at the time, using an advanced hybrid form of baking powder as the raising agent.
Unfortunately it wouldn't stay up for as long as I'd like (fnaar-fnaar) so I put the wheels back on.

If you wanted it to stay up, a short skirt might have helped.

Happy Jim

796 posts

200 months

Monday 19th November 2018
quotequote all
Frankthered said:
If you wanted it to stay up, a short skirt might have helped.
clapbiglaugh

spyder dryver

1,304 posts

177 months

Tuesday 20th November 2018
quotequote all
Frankthered said:
If you wanted it to stay up, a short skirt might have helped.
That idea fell at the first hurdle Frank when I made the mistake of asking Mrs. Spyder if she knew where I might get my hands on a bit of skirt.

ol

2,183 posts

169 months

Monday 14th January 2019
quotequote all
Grumpy Griff said:
I've been developing this for the last year or so

nearly ready for IVA
Looks fantastic. Is it based on an Ultima chassis?

alfaspecial

801 posts

101 months

Monday 14th January 2019
quotequote all
Hedgehopper said:
edited for brevity





Anyway, back to the Kit Car thread which I am really enjoying.

Edited by Hedgehopper on Saturday 3rd November 18:36
Hi Hedgehopper
Fabulous car. Great story.

I don't know if you've been following this thread
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...

But as a 60's special builder would you have any idea as to what this car is? ......... Please - we are all getting desperate!