So who buys Vixens? & What do they want?

So who buys Vixens? & What do they want?

Author
Discussion

phillpot

15,865 posts

139 months

Saturday 3rd December 2011
quotequote all
quattrophenia said:
Just out of interest, does the old Granada lump sound good once it's mated up to a decent exhaust system? I couldn't imaging it having a loud V6 rasp!
I think you need to track down an S series or two young man!

Come and have a listen to my S3 if you're ever in the Midlands (ok its a 2.9 not a 2.8)ears

tomtrout

593 posts

119 months

Saturday 3rd December 2011
quotequote all
Interesting debate. I think one of the problems with this "vixen value" thing is that we all buy our cars for different reasons and have a personal vision of what the car should be like and what we think we are prepared to pay. If my old banger had been fitted with a V8 I would have soon whipped it out. A Vixen should be propelled by the old 4 pot Cortina engine in my opion but I know it's not a choice shared by all, or even the majority. Downhill and on bendy roads it will be every bit as fast as a V8 ;}

When I was looking for a Vixen a couple of years ago I knew my budget wouldn't stretch to a running car. It's ridiculous really because I paid £4k for what was virtually a wreck and have already spent enough on my car to easily buy Brian's Vixen and I'm still miles away from having a runner! It's madness when I think about it but for me the thought of lashing out £8k on a runner wasn't an option - much easier to secure a car and then gradually fund the restoration.

Don't sell your car Brian unless you've got your heart set on something else - you will regret it. Sorry, no idea how much a NZ based Vixen with a V6 and central locking is worth but if it's shinny then someone on ebay will buy it for a lot more than £2k I'm sure!

RCK974X

2,521 posts

105 months

Saturday 3rd December 2011
quotequote all
quattrophenia said:
Just out of interest, does the old Granada lump sound good once it's mated up to a decent exhaust system? ...
It's mated to the 3000M standard system, and it sounds quite like my Tasmin 280 actually. There's not much difference to that system either....plumbing is pretty similar.

They sound a bit lumpy at low speeds (the engine itself isn't, I reckon it's the siamese exhaust ports) but then they smooth out and sound truly wonderful at about 2500 rpm. Not as noisy as the Vixen was with a non-baffled system and a hopped-up xflow though.


RCK974X

2,521 posts

105 months

Saturday 3rd December 2011
quotequote all
heightswitch said:
£2k you have bastardised a lovely classic car with a load of Non std bits!!
I though about a good answer to this again , and came up with.....

Well THAT'S a bit rich considering the Vixen is nothing more than a manufactured kit car anyway !!
shootbiglaugh

heightswitch

6,118 posts

206 months

Saturday 3rd December 2011
quotequote all
RCK974X said:
I though about a good answer to this again , and came up with.....

Well THAT'S a bit rich considering the Vixen is nothing more than a manufactured kit car anyway !!
shootbiglaugh
And it took you a full day wink

You will just have to face up to your kit car being worth less than a truly original car.

Here are a couple of my originals.

Car 1.

































Car 2 This is Dads.



































As you can see you should really keep the cars as original as possible, not deviating from the original specification hehe

N.

GTRene

11,666 posts

180 months

Saturday 3rd December 2011
quotequote all
wow, respect...I like seeing pictures like that.
specially that blue V8 mmmm want one in LHD biggrin

RCK974X

2,521 posts

105 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
heightswitch said:
As you can see you should really keep the cars as original as possible, not deviating from the original specification hehe
Nice V8 !! Being taller than average, I don't think I'd ever be able to fit in those narrow door holes... the S3 is a struggle already.

The only clue on my car from outside is the twin exhaust and the small badge, otherwise it's all Vixen original. It already had quite a few mods when I bought it. (and some of those mods were inflicted by other vehicles !)

Truthfully I don't really care if it spoils the value, that's not the point !

TomTrout - Yes I can understand that some enthusisasts reckon the weight of the bigger lumps tend to ruin the handling, but mine doesn't seem much worse than the xflow was - I wonder how much the V8 weight affects handling ?





Edited by RCK974X on Sunday 4th December 03:22


Edited by RCK974X on Sunday 4th December 03:26

heightswitch

6,118 posts

206 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
So getting back to the "who buys vixens" debate.

I do.

This is car number 3, or rather Bits number 3.

I am really thinking about what I want with this one...done the griffith thing with a build, Done the old looking with new mechanicals thing.

I may go the modern supercar route with this one. I had considered an AJP powered vixen but the long term future of the engines is unsure so I am now thinking about a more modern powerplant, running gear but keeping the body relatively standard this time. V6 Duratec comes to mind.

I want a specific V6 sound out of this one.












GAjon

3,209 posts

169 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
heightswitch said:
I may go the modern supercar route with this one. I had considered an AJP powered vixen but the long term future of the engines is unsure so I am now thinking about a more modern powerplant, running gear but keeping the body relatively standard this time. V6 Duratec comes to mind.

I want a specific V6 sound out of this one.
Vauxhall insignia VXR as the doner car

320BHP V6 standard! - all wheel drive!

GTRene

11,666 posts

180 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
is that a new carros? do you have to cut out the grp by the windows and doors yourself?
I would like a corrosion free chassis...so some sort zinc protection were it goes also in the inside of the tubes and outside (don't know how they call that I forget)

I really love the looks of the Griffith 200 but the scary wheelbase can be to much biggrin
also love the griff 400 (Vixen 1?) with the lovely cortina lights...
but best I guess are the longer wheelbase cars the late Tuscan LWB SE V8 cars?
is that Vixen 4 (also early M chassis?)
I also would make the chassis as strong as possible and give it a modern suspension etc and ow
I guess a 400+ hp engine, maybe a nice Ford V8 (with old style look covers etc) or even a modern LS3 480 biggrin

a bit this style or sort like that, a around 400hp Cobra look engine



would look nice I guess under the bonnet, TVR Cobra biggrin

ow, the TVR Trident also used a Ford Cobra engine if I'm not mistaken...so its also "family"

Edited by GTRene on Sunday 4th December 17:40

heightswitch

6,118 posts

206 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
GTRene said:
is that a new carros? do you have to cut out the grp by the windows and doors yourself?
I would like a corrosion free chassis...so some sort zinc protection were it goes also in the inside of the tubes and outside (don't know how they call that I forget)

I really love the looks of the Griffith 200 but the scary wheelbase can be to much biggrin
also love the griff 400 (Vixen 1?) with the lovely cortina lights...
but best I guess are the longer wheelbase cars the late Tuscan LWB SE V8 cars?
is that Vixen 4 (also early M chassis?)
I also would make the chassis as strong as possible and give it a modern suspension etc and ow
I guess a 400+ hp engine, maybe a nice Ford V8 (with old style look covers etc) or even a modern LS3 480 biggrin

a bit this style or sort like that, a around 400hp Cobra look engine

would look nice I guess under the bonnet, TVR Cobra biggrin

Edited by GTRene on Sunday 4th December 17:38



I have been the V8 Route Rene.
I think for a nice road car the way to go is a lovely very light 4 cyl normally aspirated engine, or a very light weight V6 and about 300 hp as a max.

all of these big capacity V8 conversions are more about pub numbers in my opinion. I am pretty sure my dads 200hp vixen with a lovely zetec will absolutely trounce the heavy V8. Weight is everything, next engine will be modern but light.

N.

GTRene

11,666 posts

180 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
thats a bit true, 200hp is normally more then enough for those light cars.
a V6 300hp is nice and short wich is good for weight balance front and rear.
I'm just a fan of the V8 sound (not all though...)
with a nicely tuned exhaust with maybe a balance pipe to make the sound some better in some cases.
ow, nice valve covers on your V8.

anyway, nice project what you do, I think you know the cars inside out biggrin

RCK974X

2,521 posts

105 months

Sunday 4th December 2011
quotequote all
heightswitch said:
S... V6 Duratec comes to mind.
They have a really good reputation according to web writeups.

Warwick67

418 posts

170 months

Monday 5th December 2011
quotequote all
Who buys a Vixen? Someone like me would....

I've had a Chimaera and currently have a Cerbera, which I love but have just agreed to sell to fund my new project, which is a 2500M. I looked for a Vixen for over a year, seem to be either one end or the other, basket case or fully restored, which are a lot of money for a car that is going to be properly used and will depreciate quite fast because of it. A sound useable car fo 8.5k would have been right on my shopping list if I hadn't already bought my M.

People are asking some surprising money for Vixens at the moment, I looked at a Vixen 2500 which had been used as a club racer but stored for the alst 10 years. Would have been ideal for me, I plan to sprint / hill climb it. The chap was asking 13k (ebay), took it for a drive & although he had "recommisioned" it, it clearly needed a lot of work to make it safe let alone enjoyable to drive... Prices are definately on the up....

If I win the lottery I'll be after one of these... http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C178606

vixen1700

Original Poster:

12,798 posts

226 months

Monday 5th December 2011
quotequote all
Warwick67 said:
People are asking some surprising money for Vixens at the moment, I looked at a Vixen 2500 which had been used as a club racer but stored for the alst 10 years. Would have been ideal for me, I plan to sprint / hill climb it. The chap was asking 13k (ebay), took it for a drive & although he had "recommisioned" it, it clearly needed a lot of work to make it safe let alone enjoyable to drive... Prices are definately on the up....
Spoke to somebody a couple of weeks ago who went to see that one and he said exactly the same thing.

GTRene

11,666 posts

180 months

Monday 5th December 2011
quotequote all
Warwick67 said:
Who buys a Vixen? Someone like me would....

I've had a Chimaera and currently have a Cerbera, which I love but have just agreed to sell to fund my new project, which is a 2500M. I looked for a Vixen for over a year, seem to be either one end or the other, basket case or fully restored, which are a lot of money for a car that is going to be properly used and will depreciate quite fast because of it. A sound useable car fo 8.5k would have been right on my shopping list if I hadn't already bought my M.

People are asking some surprising money for Vixens at the moment, I looked at a Vixen 2500 which had been used as a club racer but stored for the alst 10 years. Would have been ideal for me, I plan to sprint / hill climb it. The chap was asking 13k (ebay), took it for a drive & although he had "recommisioned" it, it clearly needed a lot of work to make it safe let alone enjoyable to drive... Prices are definately on the up....

If I win the lottery I'll be after one of these... http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C178606
that one is indeed lovely...sadly its so expensive but I would like a look alike of that car and performance.

heightswitch

6,118 posts

206 months

Monday 5th December 2011
quotequote all
GTRene said:
that one is indeed lovely...sadly its so expensive but I would like a look alike of that car and performance.
Whether a looky likey or real thing the cost to build a griffy....ith....en is exactly the same less your initial purchase costs of the donor vehicle, whatever that may be!

GTRene

11,666 posts

180 months

Monday 5th December 2011
quotequote all
hm, indeed biggrin it only wouldn't be a original car, but then that car in the add is a long way from "original" too...hm, thx.

Moto

994 posts

209 months

Monday 5th December 2011
quotequote all
Who buys Vixens ..... me also.

Why because....

Last year I realised that of the 4 TVR's I'd owned, the one which I hankered to have back most was the 1600M. More so than the Griff 500, Chimaera and even the 3000S Turbo. Of course it would be best to have kept them all. But in the real world, the Ford crossflow engined Tiv was probably more fun to drive more of the time. You always knew you weren't going really fast but it felt like you were. You never had to spend time braking before a corner, just a slight lift off the throttle (maybe), turn in and back on full throttle before you'd reached the apex. Non of this feathering the throttle nonsense. No fear spinning the rear wheels with that diff chewing torque from a V8.

The potential of 'little' Tivs again showed it's face in 1996. I was competing in the TVR Sprint & Hillclimb series in a Chimaera 4.0l. My mate was also competing in a Chimaera 5.0l. We were both doing OK, I seem to recall even getting a couple of 2nd's & 3rd's. Then Trevor Jasper turned up half way thru the season in his yellow Vixen and left us for dead on a sprint circuit up north somewhere. His times were awesome and we were left feeling rather inadequate. I guess that's when the 'Vixen' itch started although it took me 13 years to scratch it. Don't get me wrong, I do get the V8 thing, that kick in your backside when you press the loud peddle. But unless you're driving one of the BIG circuits then a good 4 pot, lightweight Tiv that's well set up will put a fantastic smile on your face. And probably more usable on most roads.

By the way, I paid £8k for mine - definately a good, solid usable road car for me. Guess I must be the 'odd' end of odd.

Moto

quattrophenia

1,103 posts

154 months

Tuesday 6th December 2011
quotequote all
This seems to be a very knowledgable forum, time to answer a few niggling thought I've occasionally had. I like the hands on approach to restoration shown above by the way!

- Can a vixen S2 / S3 be modified to have the rear end (Cortina lights etc) of the S1/Griffith 200?

- Can an original chassis take the increased power of a modern engine (ie 200bhp+)? What alterations need to be made?

- I know I will be shot down in flames for this one, but, how difficult is it to fit say a 150bhp zetec engine with a different diff etc? Would I end up having to build the car around the new drive train?

- Would it be too much to want the look of a Vixen with the sound of a Chimaera and the performance of a Sagaris?