The 2018 Rallying thread..(WRC, ERC, etc)

The 2018 Rallying thread..(WRC, ERC, etc)

Author
Discussion

RyanTank

2,751 posts

90 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Only watched Craig's short Instagram video in the 6r4 but left me drooling for more, not yet had the chance to catch the rest, disappointed he ended as he did but that's rallying, and better a drive shaft than bending the car!!

Interesting news regarding the Abu Dhabi and Citroen failing to agree terms meaning they drop to a 2 car team at the moment.
Ostberg and Breen are now free agents, Mads released a statement saying he has no deal in place for 2019 after this news, Breen apparently still in talks with M-Sport and Hyundai, interesting on that last one as not sure where Breen would fit in there?

Patiently awaiting the M-Sport drivers/programme announcement

RyanTank

2,751 posts

90 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Also perplexed as to where VW & Skoda are both going with their R5 programs? the Polo R5 are close to double figures sales last I was told. Surely they are product sharing and not stand alone?? the Fabia having just had an evolution as well as a new factory?!
Surely it cant be cost effective for the VAG group to have both depts competing together?

chunder27

1,352 posts

144 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
Why, they are utterly separate companies.

Audi and Porsche are both owned by the same group and competed together for years at LM.

Peugeot and Citroen did the same in WRC in the 2000's.

As did Seat and Skoda who I think even back then were both owned by VW.

It's nothing new

confucuis

1,042 posts

60 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
RyanTank said:
Also perplexed as to where VW & Skoda are both going with their R5 programs? the Polo R5 are close to double figures sales last I was told. Surely they are product sharing and not stand alone?? the Fabia having just had an evolution as well as a new factory?!
Surely it cant be cost effective for the VAG group to have both depts competing together?
Well in terms of sound they sound exactly the same to me!

Allyc85

6,732 posts

122 months

Monday 3rd December
quotequote all
WRC TRIBUTE 2018: Maximum Attack, On the Limit, Crashes & Best Moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADxopyDzEMU
Advertisement

DanielSan

13,596 posts

103 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
RyanTank said:
Only watched Craig's short Instagram video in the 6r4 but left me drooling for more, not yet had the chance to catch the rest, disappointed he ended as he did but that's rallying, and better a drive shaft than bending the car!!

Interesting news regarding the Abu Dhabi and Citroen failing to agree terms meaning they drop to a 2 car team at the moment.
Ostberg and Breen are now free agents, Mads released a statement saying he has no deal in place for 2019 after this news, Breen apparently still in talks with M-Sport and Hyundai, interesting on that last one as not sure where Breen would fit in there?

Patiently awaiting the M-Sport drivers/programme announcement
I'd quite like to see Breen at M Sport.

RyanTank

2,751 posts

90 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
chunder27 said:
Why, they are utterly separate companies.

It's nothing new
Well of course they are.
It just strikes me as odd that VW pulled out of the WRC after the emissions scandal to save costs, mothballed the 2017 car they fully developed, despite rumours it’d run under the Skoda badge (again down to costs to VAG) But moved on to the R5 programme and thus potentially, likely, taking away from its own very successful current R5 programme under the Skoda arm.

The car market and companies were very different in the early 00’s when Pug & Citroen we’re competing together. I couldn’t see a repeat in this current market.

confucuis said:
Well in terms of sound they sound exactly the same to me!
From the few vids I’ve seen I noticed they sounded similar too, the same wheezy wastegate chatter isn’t it? And that the Polo is a much bigger looking car than the Fabia appears, so how does it compare speed and agility wise will be interesting to see.

chunder27

1,352 posts

144 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
VW spent a lot of money on rallycross last two years too, destroying that sport near enough.

Allyc85

6,732 posts

122 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
I'd quite like to see Breen at M Sport.
I’d be happy for M-Sport to turn up at all. Not that long till entries for 2019 close now.

DelicaL400

220 posts

47 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
Allyc85 said:
I’d be happy for M-Sport to turn up at all. Not that long till entries for 2019 close now.
I'd not be surprised if they don't enter. Plenty of business in R5s, they've just launched a new R2 they've got the Bentley programme and the road car testing/development facility as well the the MS-RT stuff. I'm not sure they need to be involved in the WRC now.

It'd be nice to see an Abu Dhabi-backed Loeb/Breen/Tidemand team though.

RyanTank

2,751 posts

90 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
Allyc85 said:
DanielSan said:
I'd quite like to see Breen at M Sport.
I’d be happy for M-Sport to turn up at all. Not that long till entries for 2019 close now.
Me too with Breen, he'll come pretty much full circle.

Not much given away from malcolm here, but not sounding too positive either scratchchinhttps://www.facebook.com/LoricarnochanITV/videos/2...
Really hope they get something together as I want something else to support instead of just Meeke in the Toyota.

Just able to catch a glimpse in the background of the I-Pace development cars they are running as this years Formula E support series right at the start of the vid.

ArnageWRC

907 posts

95 months

Tuesday 4th December
quotequote all
You have to wonder at how successful the WRC actually is when the team which has won the last two drivers Championships, and a Manufacturers Title aren't guaranteed to enter next year. Something isn't right. As already said, they have their finger in many pies, and will be successful, whether in the WRC or not; but rallying is it's bread & butter. Hopefully, something will turn up.

I've often said that the sport of rallying is a pretty small world compared to circuit racing, and can feel like the poor relation.

greeny12

202 posts

155 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
The lack of media profile is a serious issue, especially given the costs of competing in today's very geographically spread (and long!) WRC season.

And Malcolm must know that without Ogier he's facing fairly slim pickings in 2019. All three rivals will have better driver/vehicle packages so wins - or even podiums - may be scarce.

Plus the Bentley works effort is stepping up a gear next year with four Pro cars at the Spa 24 and a full-season entry into Intercontinental GT Challenge. Maybe a year out of the full WRC to concentrate on that?

thepawbroon

642 posts

120 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
ArnageWRC said:
You have to wonder at how successful the WRC actually is when the team which has won the last two drivers Championships, and a Manufacturers Title aren't guaranteed to enter next year. Something isn't right. As already said, they have their finger in many pies, and will be successful, whether in the WRC or not; but rallying is it's bread & butter. Hopefully, something will turn up.

I've often said that the sport of rallying is a pretty small world compared to circuit racing, and can feel like the poor relation.
There is little, if any, corporate sponsorship. Most of the money comes from manufacturers and the trade, with a few small deals on the side. Gone are the days when large brands (admittedly mainly cigarettes) would fund the sport. It's primarily the same at all levels of rallying, the main sponsors are mostly there because the company owner likes rallying (e.g. Legend Fires, Swift Caravans, Beatson's Building Supplies etc).

Toyota seem to have scooped a couple of good brands with Microsoft and Panasonic. Red Bull and Abu Dhabi are corporate sponsors.
But none are like the brand immersion of e.g. 555 and Rothmans were.

The Colin Clark Podcast with Gerard Quinn was interesting, basically Ford are getting enough brand exposure from the R5 and R2 programmes, which is close to cost-neutral for Ford, and profitable for M-Sport.

chunder27

1,352 posts

144 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
That in fact raises a whole other question.

I think we all agree the new WRC cars are spectacular, and have moved WRC back into some sort of frame, where for the Loeb Ogier years in other cars before it was literally non existant in terms of interest.

The R5 cars are still rgeat to watch and listen to, far cheaper.

I read somewhere that over 70 are booked in to compete at the Monoza rally soon, that would never happen even in the GpA days when rallying last boomed.

Maybe it's time for someone to really push an R5 WRC, insetad of it being totally in the shadow in every way of WRC cars of which there are about 10!

thepawbroon

642 posts

120 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
chunder27 said:
Maybe it's time for someone to really push an R5 WRC, insetad of it being totally in the shadow in every way of WRC cars of which there are about 10!
Like the WRC2 Pro?

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2018/wmsc-...

chunder27

1,352 posts

144 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
I think this is a good shout yes, don't keep up wit every bit of news regarding the series, but as long as they can compete and there are enough of them, sounds great.

thepawbroon

642 posts

120 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
There will be a works Skoda team (factory-run and funded).

I imagine there will be works teams from M-Sport and Citroen, factory run but commercially-funded like Gus Greensmith this year.

It won't be long before R5 cars (+/- a few mods) will become the top level. There's no way the current WRC cars are financially sustainable.

Allyc85

6,732 posts

122 months

Wednesday
quotequote all
I’m pretty nervous TBH, but it’s a good test having 2 big games back to back. Plus “The special one” generally pulls something out the bag against us.

GravelBen

13,433 posts

166 months

Thursday
quotequote all
Allyc85 said:
I’m pretty nervous TBH, but it’s a good test having 2 big games back to back. Plus “The special one” generally pulls something out the bag against us.
This might not be the thread that post was intended for?