Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol. 7)

Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol. 7)

Author
Discussion

Scrump

Original Poster:

13,093 posts

122 months

Bobberoo99

22,092 posts

62 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Moving to a new Vol and not posting the necessary warnings!!! smile

V8mate

44,543 posts

153 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I'm annoyed beyond reason that a new volume has been started just after I posted a fundamental new annoyance.

So I'm going to re-post it, to make myself feel better hehe




Domestic plumbing.

This isn't a new invention; we've had plenty of time to get this stuff right. But with every passing decade, it just seems become further enstified.

Taps. They used to last a lifetime! Maybe a new washer after 15 years. Now, the quality has got so bad, that the anticipation of the hard water killing them within three years has been surpassed by corrosion destroying them in two! What has modern life come to when we create taps which fking corrode?

And toilets - fking hell - could the design of the functional elements be any more infuriating? They now seem to be designed to leak. For the various parts to work together only in the event of a series of pieces which want nothing to do with each other, being perfectly aligned in every plane. And often with further features designed-in, specifically to create additional, potential, points of failure.

Silicon this, PTFE that; the whole fking lot is one big game of chance.

And then - fking fk in the ear - there's the pipe work. A series of locks which all shift together unless you have four hands and four sets of grips to hold the lot together, whilst trying to undo the one nut that was so poorly manufactured that it has seized itself onto the opposing thread. Lest you want water pissing all over the room.

If anyone wants to be a billionaire by this time next year (Rodney), design a simple, leak-proof, corrosion-proof, system of maintainable plumbing modules, which runs from the stop cock to every tap and toilet in a property. Because what we've got at the moment seems like nothing short of the worst kind of fking joke on humanity.

carreauchompeur

16,533 posts

168 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Agreed!

High pressure water in the middle of your house is too important to fk around with unreliable fittings!

nonsequitur

17,129 posts

80 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
grumpyMy airing cupboard has more pipes, stopcocks, valves and power shower paraphernalia than socks, skivvies and shirts.

Scrump

Original Poster:

13,093 posts

122 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Bobberoo99 said:
Moving to a new Vol and not posting the necessary warnings!!! smile

PH User

17,380 posts

72 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Can't say that I've ever noticed any issues with our home plumbing, it just seems to work.

21st Century Man

35,315 posts

212 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Our boy still hasn't gotten around to sending us our Christmas gifts yet. I've reminded him it's mother's day soon. Mum won't be holding her breath!

Bobberoo99

22,092 posts

62 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Scrump said:
Bobberoo99 said:
Moving to a new Vol and not posting the necessary warnings!!! smile
yikes

V8covin

3,671 posts

157 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Typing "thank me later" after a post on a message board

Cotty

35,590 posts

248 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
This on annoyed my mum. Went to the post office to get a new passport and they wouldn't proceed without an email address. She doesn't have an email address, she has never received or sent an email. How do they think people got passports before email was invented.

Jasandjules

65,972 posts

193 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
People who do not believe in freedom of speech. Well, putting it differently, the presumably below average intellects who consider that freedom of speech only applies to views they agree with...

DRFC1879

1,221 posts

121 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
V8mate said:
I'm annoyed beyond reason that a new volume has been started just after I posted a fundamental new annoyance.

So I'm going to re-post it, to make myself feel better hehe




Domestic plumbing.

This isn't a new invention; we've had plenty of time to get this stuff right. But with every passing decade, it just seems become further enstified.

Taps. They used to last a lifetime! Maybe a new washer after 15 years. Now, the quality has got so bad, that the anticipation of the hard water killing them within three years has been surpassed by corrosion destroying them in two! What has modern life come to when we create taps which fking corrode?

And toilets - fking hell - could the design of the functional elements be any more infuriating? They now seem to be designed to leak. For the various parts to work together only in the event of a series of pieces which want nothing to do with each other, being perfectly aligned in every plane. And often with further features designed-in, specifically to create additional, potential, points of failure.

Silicon this, PTFE that; the whole fking lot is one big game of chance.

And then - fking fk in the ear - there's the pipe work. A series of locks which all shift together unless you have four hands and four sets of grips to hold the lot together, whilst trying to undo the one nut that was so poorly manufactured that it has seized itself onto the opposing thread. Lest you want water pissing all over the room.

If anyone wants to be a billionaire by this time next year (Rodney), design a simple, leak-proof, corrosion-proof, system of maintainable plumbing modules, which runs from the stop cock to every tap and toilet in a property. Because what we've got at the moment seems like nothing short of the worst kind of fking joke on humanity.
And I'm pleased that you went to the trouble because I was going to copy and paste it into a quote to say what a thoroughly excellent piece of Fawlty-esque prose that rant was. Might not make you feel any better about the bugger's muddle that is modern plumbing but I really enjoyed the schadenfreude that came from reading it.

V8mate

44,543 posts

153 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
DRFC1879 said:
And I'm pleased that you went to the trouble because I was going to copy and paste it into a quote to say what a thoroughly excellent piece of Fawlty-esque prose that rant was. Might not make you feel any better about the bugger's muddle that is modern plumbing but I really enjoyed the schadenfreude that came from reading it.
thumbup

kowalski655

11,862 posts

107 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
21st Century Man said:
Our boy still hasn't gotten around to sending us our Christmas gifts yet. I've reminded him it's mother's day soon. Mum won't be holding her breath!
My daughter is the same, but she IS getting her mum something for Mother's Day! Blatent sexism!

Halmyre

9,064 posts

103 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
V8mate said:
And toilets - fking hell - could the design of the functional elements be any more infuriating? They now seem to be designed to leak. For the various parts to work together only in the event of a series of pieces which want nothing to do with each other, being perfectly aligned in every plane. And often with further features designed-in, specifically to create additional, potential, points of failure.
Our cistern has one of those Torbeck type valves. The water comes in at the bottom of the cistern, up a vertical plastic pipe and into the valve thingy. The valve thingy just clips on to the vertical pipe - lord knows how it doesn't blow off at some point. It does come off if you bang the cistern lid against it... frown

Digby

7,864 posts

210 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
“Gapped”

deeen

5,731 posts

209 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
V8covin said:
Typing "thank me later" after a post on a message board
You're welcome.

anonymous-user

18 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
People who do not believe in freedom of speech. Well, putting it differently, the presumably below average intellects who consider that freedom of speech only applies to views they agree with...
This. God forbid you disagree with someone these days.

Cotty

35,590 posts

248 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Just walked past my combie boiler in the kitchen and noticed the working surface is wet, the bloody thing is leaking.

Its due its annual service this month and its under warrenty but it just seems like one thing after another frown