Removing explicit pop ups from Fire tablet

Removing explicit pop ups from Fire tablet

Author
Discussion

Jukebag

Original Poster:

1,388 posts

103 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I have a Fire tablet that my child uses and very often an explicit pop up appears for some reason, no idea how but I suspect from the app games they have been downloading from the app store, can't think of anyone other reason other than a virus. Very annoying and worrying and can't seem to find a way of removing them/

Anyone know a way of removing them?.

sgrimshaw

6,815 posts

214 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Contact Amazon

Jukebag

Original Poster:

1,388 posts

103 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
sgrimshaw said:
Contact Amazon
Why do I need to contact Amazon, I wouldn't have thought it was anything to do with them. I know that on my other child's tablet, despite the same app games being installed there's none of these pops up appearing and tabs that keep appearing.

hotchy

2,822 posts

90 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Jukebag said:
sgrimshaw said:
Contact Amazon
Why do I need to contact Amazon, I wouldn't have thought it was anything to do with them. I know that on my other child's tablet, despite the same app games being installed there's none of these pops up appearing and tabs that keep appearing.
Itll be due to a website visited. An advert will have put a push notification on. It'll be somewhere in app settings for the Internet browser. Same thing happened to my dads Samsung phone. He was honest and said he was on a naughty site though haha.

sgrimshaw

6,815 posts

214 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Jukebag said:
sgrimshaw said:
Contact Amazon
Why do I need to contact Amazon, I wouldn't have thought it was anything to do with them. I know that on my other child's tablet, despite the same app games being installed there's none of these pops up appearing and tabs that keep appearing.
Their customer service is very good, as you don't know how to get rid they may be able to help.

xeny

1,564 posts

42 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
hotchy said:
Itll be due to a website visited. An advert will have put a push notification on. It'll be somewhere in app settings for the Internet browser. Same thing happened to my dads Samsung phone. He was honest and said he was on a naughty site though haha.
This would also be my guess - saw it happen with a VIP's PA. She'd subscribed to notifications on an innocuous looking site, that I'd guess was later compromised.

sociopath

1,340 posts

30 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Explicit ads are based on previous browsing, have you been on pornhub?

AJB88

7,417 posts

135 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
I'd do a full reset of the device and start again but it sounds like push notifications for a page have been allowed.


Jukebag

Original Poster:

1,388 posts

103 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
sociopath said:
Explicit ads are based on previous browsing, have you been on pornhub?
I certainly have not been on any site like that. My kids are mainly the only ones that use that tablet, occasionally it's used to browse youtube and other online platforms but that's about it. I have downloaded PDFs of motoring magazines, so could've come from that but certainly nothing explicit. The other tablet they have (same make) has been used for pretty much for the same sites, but that tablet doesn't throw up these annoying and rude pop ups just this particular tablet.

AJB88

7,417 posts

135 months

Thursday 4th March
quotequote all
Jukebag said:
I certainly have not been on any site like that. My kids are mainly the only ones that use that tablet, occasionally it's used to browse youtube and other online platforms but that's about it. I have downloaded PDFs of motoring magazines, so could've come from that but certainly nothing explicit. The other tablet they have (same make) has been used for pretty much for the same sites, but that tablet doesn't throw up these annoying and rude pop ups just this particular tablet.
What is the popup? is it a specific site, gurantee its either a rogue app or somebody has been on a site, how old are the kids.

Jukebag

Original Poster:

1,388 posts

103 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
AJB88 said:
What is the popup? is it a specific site, gurantee its either a rogue app or somebody has been on a site, how old are the kids.
It must've been a rogue app as I would never allow them to go on a site like that. They're very young children.

In the end I just rebooted the tablet and wiped everything off and started from scratch, which wasn't a big deal as there wasn't anything that needed backing up. All seems OK for not except that I can't seem to install the Google Play app for some reason, when I download it and click on the icon nothing happens. I'm not a fan of apps and play store as all you're data is mined (nothing's free in this world even if they say it's free), but try telling the Mrs and kids this.

Gman20

6,826 posts

110 months

Friday 5th March
quotequote all
They may not have been onto a dodgy site intentionally, but they can find thier way there from an ad that leads to a site that has another ad etc.


If they are you children then you should set them up with a kids profile, this will only allow them to use apps you add to thier profile and browser access is disabled by default.
You can also pay for an amazon kids subscription for about £2 a month which will let them use a bunch of approved kids safe content without you needing to load content onto thier profile.

Jukebag

Original Poster:

1,388 posts

103 months

Saturday 6th March
quotequote all
Gman20 said:
They may not have been onto a dodgy site intentionally, but they can find thier way there from an ad that leads to a site that has another ad etc.


If they are you children then you should set them up with a kids profile, this will only allow them to use apps you add to thier profile and browser access is disabled by default.
You can also pay for an amazon kids subscription for about £2 a month which will let them use a bunch of approved kids safe content without you needing to load content onto thier profile.
I don't think they could've unintentionally or intentionally because they would've noticed it and mentioned it. It's possible an app that has been downloaded from somewhere other than the app store; I know a couple of times I've downloaded games that are from an apk site, so could've come from that. Could be anything.

Sounds like a good idea there, but problem is they like playing games that are aimed at older kids like Dark Riddle. Do you know why the Google Play Store won't work?. Before the reinstall it was working fine now when I download it nothing happens.

Edited by Jukebag on Saturday 6th March 09:49

sgrimshaw

6,815 posts

214 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
Did you allow apps from other sources again, would have been switched off by the reset.

troc

2,652 posts

139 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
Have you tried setting your internet dns to one of the safe browsing ones such as cloudflare for families (1.1.1.1) which might prevent the ads getting through and prevent accidental visits to dodgy sites?

You could also install a ‘Pihole’ dns at home to control which sites are visible and stop almost all ads in the house - which is awesome. I do t realise how many ads websites have until I’m outside the house and browsing via the normal dns smile

eeLee

160 posts

44 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
indeed my thought would be to replace your DNS service with something that will block these things. NextDNS.io for a small home network can be free and it's easy to put in.

Failing that there are some open alternatives that include safer browsing that are zero config. You can block malware and porn.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-dns-server

Stan the Bat

6,331 posts

176 months

Sunday 7th March
quotequote all
Jukebag said:
Gman20 said:
They may not have been onto a dodgy site intentionally, but they can find thier way there from an ad that leads to a site that has another ad etc.


If they are you children then you should set them up with a kids profile, this will only allow them to use apps you add to thier profile and browser access is disabled by default.
You can also pay for an amazon kids subscription for about £2 a month which will let them use a bunch of approved kids safe content without you needing to load content onto thier profile.
I don't think they could've unintentionally or intentionally because they would've noticed it and mentioned it. It's possible an app that has been downloaded from somewhere other than the app store; I know a couple of times I've downloaded games that are from an apk site, so could've come from that. Could be anything.

Sounds like a good idea there, but problem is they like playing games that are aimed at older kids like Dark Riddle. Do you know why the Google Play Store won't work?. Before the reinstall it was working fine now when I download it nothing happens.

Edited by Jukebag on Saturday 6th March 09:49
Google and Amazon had a bit of a bust up a few years ago and now Amazon won't allow playstore on Amazon stuff.


They are some fairly easy ways to do it though, just Google it.