buying R8

Author
Discussion

ian-163jt

Original Poster:

188 posts

55 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
PompeyReece said:
Their customer service was fine but they didn't do an actual car service, just an MOT and a health check which came up 100% perfect. Ricky does my annual service however he gets Swindon Audi to do the MOT so may as well get my MOT done locally.

He got a Milltek but no idea on cost, sorry.

Edited by PompeyReece on Monday 2nd December 22:27
so you prefer Ricky to audi for service ?
you are near me, so how do you get up to Ricky get service done & home as long way ?

jakesmith

5,360 posts

119 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I’d always go for a good Indy over a main dealer
Unless you have something incredibly rare where the history is part of its value then why pay more
Waste of money

Just got my Smart in for some warranty work that they’re refusing to cover- failed door lock on 3.5 year old main dealer car under used car warranty. They want £120 diagnostic fee now the repair isn’t covered. Joke. This is my typical main dealer experience, inflexibility around processed and making as much money as possible

Audi are better at this sort of thing IME but still, unnecessarily expensive

PompeyReece

640 posts

37 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
ian-163jt said:
so you prefer Ricky to audi for service ?
you are near me, so how do you get up to Ricky get service done & home as long way ?
Yes, my car's been to Ricky for both my services, again early next year too. I've had a poor experience with a franchise when buying my R8 (they lied through their front teeth on the condition of the car which was picked up on the PPI) and also with dealers (two health checks within 20 miles of each other, two different results and associated costs!).

However must say I got a better feeling from Audi at most recent health check/MOT which seemed consistent and accurate with Ricky's comments of the car in the past. Also you tend not to get a documented health check with some indies so the "MOT at the dealer, service at an indie" arrangement is good for me.

I drive up to Ricky's and coincide it with a shopping trip to the outlet centre or friends with the fiancee. Last two times it's involved two trips (there and back) so might see if I can wangle it in a day trip next year although depends if I want any other work doing.

Edited by PompeyReece on Tuesday 3rd December 11:06

Trev450

5,804 posts

120 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
ian-163jt said:
so you prefer Ricky to audi for service ?
Every time without doubt. More conscientious and knowledgeable also cheaper.

200Plus Club

6,828 posts

226 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
I'd have used Ricky but he's a 5 hr drive away. Audi were pretty damn good to be honest I had to wait for the specific R8 technician and they loaned me a brand new Audi estate for 2 days. Price was bang on quote for 2 yr plus brake fluid at £768. Plugs would have bumped it upto 1k with air filters but previous owner had them done at previous service year before. I asked them not to wash car as it had been detailed and my tracker showed they didn't thrash the balls of it on the test drive :-)

andy97

3,667 posts

170 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Trev450 said:
ian-163jt said:
so you prefer Ricky to audi for service ?
Every time without doubt. More conscientious and knowledgeable also cheaper.
Not that I have an R8 yet... but future servicing location is a consideration. Ricky is a fair way from me.
Anyone got any experience of these:

http://www.backdraftmotorsport.com/gt-car-servicin...

https://www.apexmotcargarage.co.uk/series/audi/r8/...

http://rdgarageservices.co.uk/audi-specialists/

http://audir8servicing.co.uk/

Backdraft at Milton Keynes would be nearest to get to for me. I remember them from when they raced a TT and then a Gallardo (I think) in Britcar)




Edited by andy97 on Tuesday 3rd December 14:22

jakesmith

5,360 posts

119 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
Bdm have a good rep but I’ve not used them
The Phirm in Camberley are good
Riky is brilliant

ian-163jt

Original Poster:

188 posts

55 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
jakesmith said:
I’d always go for a good Indy over a main dealer
Unless you have something incredibly rare where the history is part of its value then why pay more
Waste of money

Just got my Smart in for some warranty work that they’re refusing to cover- failed door lock on 3.5 year old main dealer car under used car warranty. They want £120 diagnostic fee now the repair isn’t covered. Joke. This is my typical main dealer experience, inflexibility around processed and making as much money as possible

Audi are better at this sort of thing IME but still, unnecessarily expensive
hence the name "main stealer" ha ha

ian-163jt

Original Poster:

188 posts

55 months

Tuesday
quotequote all
PompeyReece said:
Yes, my car's been to Ricky for both my services, again early next year too. I've had a poor experience with a franchise when buying my R8 (they lied through their front teeth on the condition of the car which was picked up on the PPI) and also with dealers (two health checks within 20 miles of each other, two different results and associated costs!).

However must say I got a better feeling from Audi at most recent health check/MOT which seemed consistent and accurate with Ricky's comments of the car in the past. Also you tend not to get a documented health check with some indies so the "MOT at the dealer, service at an indie" arrangement is good for me.

I drive up to Ricky's and coincide it with a shopping trip to the outlet centre or friends with the fiancee. Last two times it's involved two trips (there and back) so might see if I can wangle it in a day trip next year although depends if I want any other work doing.

Edited by PompeyReece on Tuesday 3rd December 11:06
yes its hard when long way , if something goes wrong you are stuck....
wife not to happy with me as it is so don't really want to get her stranded up there .