Collecting Cars auction results

Collecting Cars auction results

Author
Discussion

21ATS

186 posts

30 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
I see the Pista final bid starting with a "2".

Whilst we're looking at most cars selling on Collecting Cars and wondering why people are bidding retail or sometimes over retail, the one brand consistently raising eyebrows is Ferrari. There seems to be a lot of suggestion that the numbers are low.

Have prices tanked? I don't think so, personally I feel this brand more than any other (Porsche running a close second) manage to artifically control asking and advertised prices more than any other manufacturer/brand. I think they've been overpriced for a while, or at least asking prices have been too high since pre covid times.

I also feel they have one of the largest spreads between asking prices and actual selling prices of pretty much any brand.

You don't need to dig too deep to find out that what was considered a difficult car to get hold of has actually been sitting with dealers struggling to shift stock.

None of this has basis other than my own meandering musings and what I've found when trying to buy an older model. The new stuff seems to taking a real bath presently. Reality being there are only so many people that have the ability to drop a quarter of million pounds on a car. Remove all the people that were marginal on finance that can now not get finance, then remove all the people that feel they probably shouldn't be buying one right now (for any number of reasons) and your small pool of buyers is evapourating quickly.

If it goes for a sensible bid, chances are it will be a dealer outbidding private buyers. Make of that what you will.


PrancingHorses

2,665 posts

165 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
£316k + fees smile

Keep the guesses coming...

SFTWend

215 posts

33 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
21ATS said:
I see the Pista final bid starting with a "2".

Whilst we're looking at most cars selling on Collecting Cars and wondering why people are bidding retail or sometimes over retail, the one brand consistently raising eyebrows is Ferrari. There seems to be a lot of suggestion that the numbers are low.

Have prices tanked? I don't think so, personally I feel this brand more than any other (Porsche running a close second) manage to artifically control asking and advertised prices more than any other manufacturer/brand. I think they've been overpriced for a while, or at least asking prices have been too high since pre covid times.

I also feel they have one of the largest spreads between asking prices and actual selling prices of pretty much any brand.

You don't need to dig too deep to find out that what was considered a difficult car to get hold of has actually been sitting with dealers struggling to shift stock.

None of this has basis other than my own meandering musings and what I've found when trying to buy an older model. The new stuff seems to taking a real bath presently. Reality being there are only so many people that have the ability to drop a quarter of million pounds on a car. Remove all the people that were marginal on finance that can now not get finance, then remove all the people that feel they probably shouldn't be buying one right now (for any number of reasons) and your small pool of buyers is evapourating quickly.

If it goes for a sensible bid, chances are it will be a dealer outbidding private buyers. Make of that what you will.
I think you are right. Like you, I quite fancy a 550 at some stage and there appears to be evidence that owners wanting to sell their car are achieving circa a third less than the asking prices of cars sitting with many dealers. Maybe not exact comparisons due to colour/spec/mileage but nonetheless.

therat

115 posts

136 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
£313 + fee's

likesachange

2,028 posts

152 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
294+fees

av185

12,178 posts

85 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
21ATS said:
The new stuff seems to taking a real bath presently.
Such as?

Apart from the obvious Mclarens, other high end stuff is holding up remarkably well.

footsoldier

1,775 posts

150 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
Cheib said:
That will be very interesting...as will the manual V12 Vantage S.
Yes, there’s a big (too big) spread on asking prices between the manuals and the Auto V12S.
Interested to see how that pans out.

ferdi p

1,463 posts

130 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
av185 said:
Such as?

Apart from the obvious Mclarens, other high end stuff is holding up remarkably well.
The superfast?

Calculator

698 posts

173 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
av185 said:
Such as?

Apart from the obvious Mclarens, other high end stuff is holding up remarkably well.
How do you know?

B3NJY

367 posts

69 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
I think it will do well to reach the 300k mark.

I will go for £298k + fees

JulierPass

576 posts

188 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
21ATS said:
I see the Pista final bid starting with a "2".

Whilst we're looking at most cars selling on Collecting Cars and wondering why people are bidding retail or sometimes over retail, the one brand consistently raising eyebrows is Ferrari. There seems to be a lot of suggestion that the numbers are low.

Have prices tanked? I don't think so, personally I feel this brand more than any other (Porsche running a close second) manage to artifically control asking and advertised prices more than any other manufacturer/brand. I think they've been overpriced for a while, or at least asking prices have been too high since pre covid times.

I also feel they have one of the largest spreads between asking prices and actual selling prices of pretty much any brand.

You don't need to dig too deep to find out that what was considered a difficult car to get hold of has actually been sitting with dealers struggling to shift stock.

None of this has basis other than my own meandering musings and what I've found when trying to buy an older model. The new stuff seems to taking a real bath presently. Reality being there are only so many people that have the ability to drop a quarter of million pounds on a car. Remove all the people that were marginal on finance that can now not get finance, then remove all the people that feel they probably shouldn't be buying one right now (for any number of reasons) and your small pool of buyers is evapourating quickly.

If it goes for a sensible bid, chances are it will be a dealer outbidding private buyers. Make of that what you will.
Under normal circumstances I'd agree. I think anyone paying north of 295 is an idiot. However, the problem with CC is that people are at at home on lock down and after a few beers the fun starts.....

Ferruccio

1,317 posts

77 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
Tom Hartley’s got three.
POA. Which is unusual for him.

av185

12,178 posts

85 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
Calculator said:
av185 said:
Such as?

Apart from the obvious Mclarens, other high end stuff is holding up remarkably well.
How do you know?
The CC sold prices will give you a clue.

9k mile 2016 991.1 GT3 RS sold for £133500 just over basic list for ave spec car a few weeks back.

2017 4 owner Performante made £156k a couple of days back effectively good retail money.

Just 2 examples of many.

21ATS

186 posts

30 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
av185 said:
Such as?

Apart from the obvious Mclarens, other high end stuff is holding up remarkably well.
My post was referring specifically to Ferrari.

I don't follow other brands, they are of little interest to me personally and I generally prefer older cars.

However the 812 was a bath whatever way you look at it.

We;re about to find out what a Pista will command. It's not like there's a shortage of them.

How about the FF? Sub £100K for a nice example.

I'd love to see a lusso on CC, it would be comfortably -30% on classified asking prices.

Plenty of baths being taken on later model Ferrari's.

garystoybox

389 posts

75 months

Saturday 23rd May
quotequote all
21ATS said:
My post was referring specifically to Ferrari.

I don't follow other brands, they are of little interest to me personally and I generally prefer older cars.

However the 812 was a bath whatever way you look at it.

We;re about to find out what a Pista will command. It's not like there's a shortage of them.

How about the FF? Sub £100K for a nice example.

I'd love to see a lusso on CC, it would be comfortably -30% on classified asking prices.

Plenty of baths being taken on later model Ferrari's.
BREAKING NEWS.... V12 Ferrari depreciates.... oh, sorry they always have, no news here.

cayman-black

9,673 posts

174 months

Sunday 24th May
quotequote all
Pista £310k . This and that Aston V12V look really lovely cars.

Cheib

19,374 posts

133 months

Sunday 24th May
quotequote all
Ferruccio said:
Tom Hartley’s got three.
POA. Which is unusual for him.
One is a Piloti and two are Spider’s...I think if they were “normal” Pista’s he’d have prices on them.

Taffy66

4,088 posts

60 months

Sunday 24th May
quotequote all
Rosso Scuderia isn't my favourite Ferrari Red and would put me off this Pista..I'll be surprised if it breaches the £300K barrier including buyer's premium.If it was one of the special reds like Rosso Fueco or Metallic Rosso Corsa then another £15K i'd guess.

650spider

1,247 posts

129 months

Sunday 24th May
quotequote all
Pro Bono said:
This could prove expensive if you're looking at it after a few too many beers! drunk

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/2019-ferrari-4...

As an interesting diversion let's have a guessing game as to the eventual sale price. The final price must include the £6k premium.

I'll kick off with £323,100.
I reckon £285k + fees.

ettore

2,972 posts

210 months

Sunday 24th May
quotequote all
I agree that the prices are actually surprisingly strong. The Silverstone Auction prices yesterday were also, quite staggeringly strong. In fact, they look way stronger than the previous 12 months.

Strange things afoot!