1st timer

Author
Discussion

Trackdayguy

Original Poster:

336 posts

17 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Hi Guys

I'm Terry and ex pat from Poole, living in Alberta, yea I know.....

We do the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans, but decided that next year 2020 we will give Le Mans a miss and do Sebring in March and the Goodwood Revival

So where do we start? We will fly into Gatwick arriving on Thursday which will give a day to recover from Jet Lag before the event starts on Friday, Will fly back to Calgary on Monday. That's all we know, so any help would be great. below are our questions:

1. Do we camp or do a hotel, if so where
2. I have looked at all the packages and the Admission & Grandstand looks the most popular, your thoughts?
3. Where is the best place to watch
4. Im guessing there's lot's of places to get food
5. ?????

HELP

Keep it stiff

1,200 posts

119 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all

1. Camping is my preference, it is really convenient, facilities are OK and means you can enjoy a beer or two. It also cuts out the time spent getting to/from, although mostly people have said that travel time has been better in recent years. You should still be able to buy a camping pitch. Goodwood also do pre-set out tents, I'm not sure what they charge however mindful that you are coming from abroad this might work out better for you if you would otherwise have to buy stuff. With regards to Hotels, everything close will already be booked up. Looking further out Guildford, Horsham, Crawley will have availability and would also suit for Gatwick.

2. Get the package of Fri, Sat & Sun passes. As there is no much to see and do I suggest you don't spend the whole time in a grandstand. I suggest you use a grandstand on one of the three days, either Sat or Sun, and use the other two ways to wander about car park, pits, trade stands, amusements etc and or watching from the banking.

3. Frankly pretty well anywhere, there are a number of locations where you get good track viewing and visibility to a big screen. You can walk around the circuit to take in different races from different vantage points.

4. Yes lots, priced accordingly of course but on the whole good quality, plenty of variety and mostly without long waiting times.

5. Dress up, you will feel out of place if you don't!

Trackdayguy

Original Poster:

336 posts

17 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Thanks so much. I appreciate the effort you have made in helping us

Terry

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Thursday 3rd January
quotequote all
Ok, firstly how old are you, seriously... there's a lot of walking about to be done and it's very crowded so we use Friday as our w=looking round day but are happy to have a grandstand seat as a base for Sat and Sunday but then we're in our 60s wink

We like Chicane grandstand but that's members only, next I would suggest Woodcote if you can get in there. If you select 'Roaming Grandstand' tickets be aware that these do not give access to Chicane (nor Woodcote I think) so don't be disappointed. Perhaps for one day the Start Line may be a good place to watch from but as usual most action takes place closer to the corners.

One point regarding hotels vs camping is that I understand the transport from Chichester Station works well so if you do decide to opt for a hotel perhaps get one on that railway line? Taxis will drop off and collect from the main gate.

Regarding food, one idea could be to buy a lunch at the Kennels option and then get a period taxi to and from the track? You will miss some of the action but you'll get a bit more of the Goodwood experience.

And yes do dress appropriately but remember, it's not fancy dress biggrin

Trackdayguy

Original Poster:

336 posts

17 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Spent quite a lot of time looking at how we are going to do this, I think due to the distance we are traveling and what we can fit in our cases the hotel option is best for us. Spoke to the folks at the Chichester Park Hotel, 20 minutes from the track, (it also has a nice Hot Tub)

Also decided that we will get a 3 day entry and one day in the grand stand. Cant believe how far in advance this all has to be booked.

Terry

Trackdayguy

Original Poster:

336 posts

17 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
RichB said:
Ok, firstly how old are you, seriously... biggrin
45 trapped in a 66 year old body. Great advice thanks. This was taken last year




Terry
PS. I Love this forum and really miss the British humor

Edited by Trackdayguy on Friday 4th January 04:12

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Trackdayguy said:
Spent quite a lot of time looking at how we are going to do this, I think due to the distance we are traveling and what we can fit in our cases the hotel option is best for us. Spoke to the folks at the Chichester Park Hotel, 20 minutes from the track, (it also has a nice Hot Tub)

Also decided that we will get a 3 day entry and one day in the grand stand. Cant believe how far in advance this all has to be booked.

Terry
Sounds like a plan... smile

Lynchie999

2,810 posts

99 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Trackdayguy said:
Also decided that we will get a 3 day entry and one day in the grand stand. Cant believe how far in advance this all has to be booked.

Terry
You're planning for 2020 though ??

Probably no need to book just yet! as the dates won't be confirmed anyway....


Stridey

327 posts

53 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
1. Do we camp or do a hotel, if so where

Camping would do my head in. Showers and toilets, yeuchhh. However, you can drink...Last year a close by ‘glamping’ site cancelled bookings at the last minute. Hotels do book up immediately but Air b&b and regular B&Bs can be found, I would actually try to book as early as possible. There are a few Pubs with Rooms too. Search around Petworth and Midhurst. About a 20 min drive on the day.

2. I have looked at all the packages and the Admission & Grandstand looks the most popular, your thoughts?

Entry tickets and a grand stand on one day would be my advice. So much to see, but a day actually watching the racing from a stand at times would be fun.

3. Where is the best place to watch

A stand, but try to be not at the front, (for shelter if raining). I like Woodcote, saves walking too far from all the stands.

4. Im guessing there's lot's of places to get food.

Loads. and it’s actually quite good, if pricey. Consider pre ordering a hamper box, I thought it was good stuff and saved a bit of a queue.

5. ?????

As said, dress up. For men a boiler suit and a cravat is enough... for the ladies it really is a chance to dress up, I’d suggest booking Betties for a hairdo in the morning or there are a couple of other salons who do hair and make up.

It’s not cheap, BUT a great day out. Even if your partner is not as into cars as you.

Try to pre book the MasterCard fashion show. Chance to sit down, good show, free. Pre booking means you swan in.

Again, it’s not fancy dress. The other mistake is (particularly for ladies) is if you looked good in a mini skirt in the ‘60s, you probably don’t now. People watching is excellent, so many people get it just right.

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Stridey said:
...dress up. For men a boiler suit and a cravat is enough... for the ladies it really is a chance to dress up, <clip> The other mistake is (particularly for ladies) is if you looked good in a mini skirt in the ‘60s, you probably don’t now.
laugh Indeed...

I always go for a Tweed jacket, cloth cap, chinos/trousers of some sort and brogues. Comfortable and looks fine.

Trackdayguy

Original Poster:

336 posts

17 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
Lynchie999 said:
You're planning for 2020 though ??

Probably no need to book just yet! as the dates won't be confirmed anyway....
Your right dates aren't out yet, however the Chichester Park Hotel is 2/3 booked for 2020 regardless of dates, they have blocked booking each year and only set aside a few rooms for general sales, they also wont let you book unless you do 4 nights. Thats works fine for us.

Can wait.

tighnamara

981 posts

99 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
RichB said:
Ok, firstly how old are you, seriously... there's a lot of walking about to be done and it's very crowded so we use Friday as our w=looking round day but are happy to have a grandstand seat as a base for Sat and Sunday but then we're in our 60s wink

We like Chicane grandstand but that's members only, next I would suggest Woodcote if you can get in there. If you select 'Roaming Grandstand' tickets be aware that these do not give access to Chicane (nor Woodcote I think) so don't be disappointed. Perhaps for one day the Start Line may be a good place to watch from but as usual most action takes place closer to the corners.

One point regarding hotels vs camping is that I understand the transport from Chichester Station works well so if you do decide to opt for a hotel perhaps get one on that railway line? Taxis will drop off and collect from the main gate.

Regarding food, one idea could be to buy a lunch at the Kennels option and then get a period taxi to and from the track? You will miss some of the action but you'll get a bit more of the Goodwood experience.

And yes do dress appropriately but remember, it's not fancy dress biggrin
Apologies for a bit of a thread hijack.
Rich B,
have booked March enclosure this year for the weekend at Revival.
Do you know how the grandstand seating works within the March enclosure, just wondering if this is allocated or first come and then you struggle to get a seat.
Thanks
PS, have been to Revival, FOS & MM before but not as members and always liked to have the choice to go and take a seat depending on weather or how we were feeling.

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Friday 4th January
quotequote all
tighnamara said:
... Do you know how the grandstand seating works within the March enclosure, just wondering if this is allocated or first come and then you struggle to get a seat...
No sorry, I've never been in March. I could ask on the GRRC forum although I expect someone will be along shortly who knows the answer.

tighnamara

981 posts

99 months

Saturday 5th January
quotequote all
RichB said:
No sorry, I've never been in March. I could ask on the GRRC forum although I expect someone will be along shortly who knows the answer.
OK, thanks, will call Goodwood next week and ask the question.

john2443

4,443 posts

157 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
You said "We"..if that's you and Mrs TDG, I often see women dressed up very nicely with high heels cloud9 which must seem a very good idea.....for about 10 mins!
It's all grass and uneven paths so although heels might look good as part of the outfit, flats might be better.

You don't have to go over the top with dressing up - some people spend loads of money and effort on genuine vintage stuff that they'll never wear again, you can probably find something suitable in your wardrobe that looks good enough, maybe buy a hat.

As others said, there isn't a bad place to watch from! There are bars and food all round the circuit. Start Finish straight and the chicane is very busy, there's much more space round the back of the circuit, takes a while to walk there (there are tractor 'buses' but queues can be very long). It's certainly worth at least one day going all the way round, walk a bit between races and find somewhere to stop and watch. If you don't get roving grandstand tickets it's worth taking a blanket or folding chairs.

There's a mad rush to leave after the last race so big queues whichever transport you're using apart from walking, I'd go for a wander round the paddock or get a beer/coffee/food and leave an hour or 2 later. You probably won't get to your hotel much later than if you leave early, but you won't have been queueing.

Food and drink inside the circuit isn't too expensive - it's not cheap, but not the silly prices they could charge given that you don't have a choice!

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Tuesday 8th January
quotequote all
tighnamara said:
RichB said:
No sorry, I've never been in March. I could ask on the GRRC forum although I expect someone will be along shortly who knows the answer.
OK, thanks, will call Goodwood next week and ask the question.
Hi Tighnamara here's the answer from a friend of mine on the GRRC forum.

"Yes,1st come 1st served, however people come & go & it's only really the Headline races (St Mary's, Sheene trophy, etc) that it gets really busy. if there's a particular race I want to watch from grandstand I tend to find a prefered seat at the end of (or just before the end of) the previous race. Personally, I like to watch practice sessions from the grandstand, but for the race's, watch (standing) from the fence opposite the start line (weather permitting)"

tighnamara

981 posts

99 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
RichB said:
Hi Tighnamara here's the answer from a friend of mine on the GRRC forum.

"Yes,1st come 1st served, however people come & go & it's only really the Headline races (St Mary's, Sheene trophy, etc) that it gets really busy. if there's a particular race I want to watch from grandstand I tend to find a prefered seat at the end of (or just before the end of) the previous race. Personally, I like to watch practice sessions from the grandstand, but for the race's, watch (standing) from the fence opposite the start line (weather permitting)"
Hi Rich B, Thanks for the reply that's great.

WJNB

2,014 posts

107 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
Been to nearly every FoS & Revival.
If you can say via taxi from the hotel get there early even if you have to queue at an entrance. This will allow at least an hour before the whole event becomes one big crush especially in the paddock. Not too long a wait for that first event coffee either. If you can obtain of have an Audi or BMW key you get access to a private viewing & food/drink area. Being neither a BMW or Audi owner I used to stick any old key onto a BMW logo key fob & another on an Audi logo key fob & enjoy free food & drink & a comfortable sit down in their respective hospitality salons.

RichB

42,290 posts

230 months

Sunday 27th January
quotequote all
WJNB said:
...If you can obtain of have an Audi or BMW key you get access to a private viewing & food/drink area...
For the newcomers I would add that that's for the FoS not the Revival.