PistonHeads.com Forum

Low Compression

Author
Discussion

klmorrell

Original Poster:

18 posts

62 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all


Now here is a picture of a the "low battery" light that came on when the engine originally stopped.

it is telling you your battery is tired and no it has nothing to do with the fobs.

My mechanic new straight off the bat something wasn't right bottom end, the compression test was the 1st thing he did and that pretty much added to his suspicion. by the way the engine didn't spin freely

The good battery and the power from the starter was able to spin the engine , albeit not as fast as normal.

he then did a leak down test, but had to use the extension to bring up tdc.

He didn't do the compression test already knowing that the headgasket had failed or the bottom end was toast,

Seriously some of the comments on this are laughable.

my op pretty much gave most people an idea if they read it and understood it and used some logic.

think I will go back to 5 mores years of lurking.




Megaflow

6,475 posts

149 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
Your original post made no mention of bottom end problems...

stevieturbo

12,725 posts

171 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
klmorrell said:
Now here is a picture of a the "low battery" light that came on when the engine originally stopped.

it is telling you your battery is tired and no it has nothing to do with the fobs.

My mechanic new straight off the bat something wasn't right bottom end, the compression test was the 1st thing he did and that pretty much added to his suspicion. by the way the engine didn't spin freely

The good battery and the power from the starter was able to spin the engine , albeit not as fast as normal.

he then did a leak down test, but had to use the extension to bring up tdc.

He didn't do the compression test already knowing that the headgasket had failed or the bottom end was toast,

Seriously some of the comments on this are laughable.

my op pretty much gave most people an idea if they read it and understood it and used some logic.

think I will go back to 5 mores years of lurking.
GIGO.

And there has been far too much garbage here including the knowledge of whatever mechanic is supposed to be doing the work, or at least in what is getting relayed here.

Most of the comments here have been sensible, based on proven experience....but you are choosing to ignore them all, despite so many of your posts not making sense, only containing very partial information at best, and also misleading information with no "logic" whatsoever as you try and describe it.

But it's quite apparent the bottom line here, the engine is fked. Full and proper info from the outset would have easily told you that much much earlier.

To even waste time doing a compression test on an engine that will barely turn over....completely and utterly pointless.

TooMany2cvs

19,872 posts

50 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
klmorrell said:


This is the battery charging light , that every cars has ? just want to make sure, its the little picture of a red battery ?
Yes.

Mignon

276 posts

13 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
I'm a bit surprised how hard people have been on the OP. The only unusual thing was that the engine death was very sudden and apparently not preceded by some miles of power loss BUT this is harder to detect with a powerful engine and especially a turbo one and also towing up and down hills which is not a daily situation a driver would be used to. In any case the bottom end could have fried fairly quickly with wet liners that I surmise might have lifted when the head gasket started to go and let water into the sump oil. The crank bearings can go very fast in that situation. A non liner engine (solid block) could have struggled on better. As for signs of overheating this can be an issue with some gauges once the water level drops below the sender.

As for the mechanic he seems to have spotted the salient points and checked other sensible ones. I have no issue there either. A bit more charity chaps when trying to diagnose problems.

Anyway I doubt a repair is going to be economical sadly.
Advertisement

Boosted LS1

16,605 posts

184 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
I'm sure this entire thread has been a windup ;-)

stevieturbo

12,725 posts

171 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
Mignon said:
I'm a bit surprised how hard people have been on the OP. The only unusual thing was that the engine death was very sudden and apparently not preceded by some miles of power loss BUT this is harder to detect with a powerful engine and especially a turbo one and also towing up and down hills which is not a daily situation a driver would be used to. In any case the bottom end could have fried fairly quickly with wet liners that I surmise might have lifted when the head gasket started to go and let water into the sump oil. The crank bearings can go very fast in that situation. A non liner engine (solid block) could have struggled on better. As for signs of overheating this can be an issue with some gauges once the water level drops below the sender.

As for the mechanic he seems to have spotted the salient points and checked other sensible ones. I have no issue there either. A bit more charity chaps when trying to diagnose problems.

Anyway I doubt a repair is going to be economical sadly.
I'm in shock here...

Mignon

276 posts

13 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
stevieturbo said:
I'm in shock here...
Yeah I know smile I was thinking as I typed it I was soon going to get asked who TF are you and what have you done with the real Dave Baker. Maybe I'm going soft in my dotage.

As an aside which I didn't want to dilute the above reply with, perhaps I felt the OP's pain because it was on those same roads 40 years ago my old Marina engine finally seized on the Pennine hills going up to to Taddington to my uncle's garage from Chorleywood in Herts. The story is here in a little dissertation about spark plugs which some with long memories might still recall.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=10...

Any fule can detect a significant drop off in power on flat roads where you're accelerating full out if you do that regularly anyway and with the car in its known usual laden condition. However on steep hills with a heavy caravan at twice the total vehicle weight, going slowly in the main and on unknown roads and with a powerful engine where just a smidge more throttle each time will compensate for the engine gradually seizing it's going to be close to dead before anyone realises for certain.

Now I think you regulars all know quite well whose job it is in here for the last 12 years or so to hand out the bkings when it's really merited so let's settle down in future chaps or I'll be taking names smile

PaulKemp

745 posts

69 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
Well played sir
Have a banana

stevesingo

2,880 posts

146 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
klmorrell said:


Now here is a picture of a the "low battery" light that came on when the engine originally stopped.

it is telling you your battery is tired and no it has nothing to do with the fobs.

My mechanic new straight off the bat something wasn't right bottom end, the compression test was the 1st thing he did and that pretty much added to his suspicion. by the way the engine didn't spin freely

The good battery and the power from the starter was able to spin the engine , albeit not as fast as normal.

he then did a leak down test, but had to use the extension to bring up tdc.

He didn't do the compression test already knowing that the headgasket had failed or the bottom end was toast,

Seriously some of the comments on this are laughable.

my op pretty much gave most people an idea if they read it and understood it and used some logic.

think I will go back to 5 mores years of lurking.
Now if /\ that /\ post was the OP, then a lot of people would have been saved the bother of playing the "can you guess what is wrong from snippets of info from someone who doesn't understand" game.

klmorrell

Original Poster:

18 posts

62 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
in my defence that information was supplied in my 2nd post, 10 mins after the 1st.

Megaflow

6,475 posts

149 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
stevesingo said:
klmorrell said:


Now here is a picture of a the "low battery" light that came on when the engine originally stopped.

it is telling you your battery is tired and no it has nothing to do with the fobs.

My mechanic new straight off the bat something wasn't right bottom end, the compression test was the 1st thing he did and that pretty much added to his suspicion. by the way the engine didn't spin freely

The good battery and the power from the starter was able to spin the engine , albeit not as fast as normal.

he then did a leak down test, but had to use the extension to bring up tdc.

He didn't do the compression test already knowing that the headgasket had failed or the bottom end was toast,

Seriously some of the comments on this are laughable.

my op pretty much gave most people an idea if they read it and understood it and used some logic.

think I will go back to 5 mores years of lurking.
Now if /\ that /\ post was the OP, then a lot of people would have been saved the bother of playing the "can you guess what is wrong from snippets of info from someone who doesn't understand" game.
Indeed. That isn't a light, that is a warning message. The message above does indeed mean the battery is low, the battery light I, and I suspect a lot of other people assumed, the OP was talking about, means the alternator is not charging. In the context of low compression that is a significant difference.

stevesingo

2,880 posts

146 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
klmorrell 1st post said:
Hello

This is my first post after several years of lurking, unfortunately it is a post of woe and stupidity.

3 weeks ago I set off with my Mondeo 2.5t and caravan towards Sherwood forest from near warrington. my intention was to go m6-a500 ect however the m6 was at a standstill so I ended up going over the Pennines via buxton, which was something I really didn't want to do.

Just after leaving chesterfield the car died without warning. upon opening the bonnet I discovered the expansion cap sat beside the tank, where I had forgot to put it back on after doing all my pre caravanning car checks (stupidty)

The temp gauge however never went over normal in all the journey so I had no idea of what I had done.

the car is now with a friendly mechanic who was done a compression test, using a brand new 800amp battery. he says that 4 cylinders are reading 25 and the 5th (nearest cambelt is about 45 psi. he said no water came out of the spark plug holes during the test. However the oil level has gone up over max but doesn't look contaminated.

my issue is with the value of the car, it has a trade in of £2000, retail about £4000 however its easy to say that but if no one wants to buy it then its irrelevant.

So, best case is head/head gasket = £600-£700 but my question is how likely is it that something other or as well as the head is goosed?

Thanks
klmorrell 2nd post said:
Another thing that I thought unusual at the time of engine failure was , the battery low light came on, this is on a 12mth old silver series 800amp battery that was fully charged only days before. I know it could just be coincidence that the battery also died at the same time, but never-the-less it seems strange.

i don't know how likely a head gasket is to blow across all 5 cylinders? i can imagine that the journey over the Pennines with a caravan is very strenuous on an engine and as the cap was not on then over the course of 50 miles it would of evaporated much of its water, however when opening the bonnet the expansion tank was still about a third full or 2 inches below min.

What i am trying to find out is how likely something else has gone round as regards to the bottom end ?

.
klmorrell said:
Now here is a picture of a the "low battery" light that came on when the engine originally stopped.

it is telling you your battery is tired and no it has nothing to do with the fobs.

My mechanic new straight off the bat something wasn't right bottom end, the compression test was the 1st thing he did and that pretty much added to his suspicion. by the way the engine didn't spin freely not mentioned above

The good battery and the power from the starter was able to spin the engine , albeit not as fast as normal. not mentioned above

he then did a leak down test, but had to use the extension to bring up tdc. not mentioned above

He didn't do the compression test already knowing that the headgasket had failed or the bottom end was toast, not mentioned above

Seriously some of the comments on this are laughable.

my op pretty much gave most people an idea if they read it and understood it and used some logic.

think I will go back to 5 mores years of lurking.

E-bmw

2,989 posts

76 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
In fairness you haven't really been as helpful as you could have been with the info you gave us to work on.

Yes you did say it had low compression, yes you did say you suspected bottom end damage, yes you did say the engine turned over no faster with the plugs out.

Had you said the engine was turning over slowly & went no faster with the plugs out that would have been more accurate.

Had you not harped on about the battery low error message being a light.

And a few other mis-directions then I suspect we could have been more helpful & saved a lot of time & effort in helping what looked a bit like an exercise in trying to push melted butter up a porcupine's @rse with a red hot needle.

klmorrell

Original Poster:

18 posts

62 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
you are correct regarding those bits of information not being in my very 1st post and my 2nd post which as I said was within a few minutes, as the mechanic hadn't even looked at the car at that point.

My 1st/2nd posts were about merely ascertaining how much if any damage could of been done to the bottom end ,

assuming that due to the situation/conditions the car had overheated and come to a stop, would not restart and the "low battery" light had come on. (on my car it just says "low battery" in yellow, not as a warning message, I couldn't find the exact same pic, that pic was used to prove that there is indeed a low battery light/message on most fords

I apologise if the "low battery" light has lead to some confusion, but I could only tell you what was flashing on the dash.


however, thanks for the replies, it has been an interesting 1st post.

and yes the car is pretty much a lemon, and I have idea what to do with it.


E-bmw

2,989 posts

76 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
It looks like you have 2 options:

Replacement engine.

Replacement car.

klmorrell

Original Poster:

18 posts

62 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
I have a third option but the wife wont have it.

I have a vw lt 158 pickup , but she wont let me tow the caravan with it .

I could sell the caravan, but not allowed to do that either.

I have decided on a transit combo van, and will probably pick one up next week.

The car, its just had, all new discs pads, decent tyres, new battery (thanks Halfords)

but rebuild or 2nd engine is more than car is worth

I will probably just ebay it.

I made a stupid mistake but as they say, no point crying over spilt milk

Boosted LS1

16,605 posts

184 months

Thursday 5th October
quotequote all
stevieturbo said:
Mignon said:
I'm a bit surprised how hard people have been on the OP. The only unusual thing was that the engine death was very sudden and apparently not preceded by some miles of power loss BUT this is harder to detect with a powerful engine and especially a turbo one and also towing up and down hills which is not a daily situation a driver would be used to. In any case the bottom end could have fried fairly quickly with wet liners that I surmise might have lifted when the head gasket started to go and let water into the sump oil. The crank bearings can go very fast in that situation. A non liner engine (solid block) could have struggled on better. As for signs of overheating this can be an issue with some gauges once the water level drops below the sender.

As for the mechanic he seems to have spotted the salient points and checked other sensible ones. I have no issue there either. A bit more charity chaps when trying to diagnose problems.

Anyway I doubt a repair is going to be economical sadly.
I'm in shock here...
Me to. It was the display of compassion, lol.

Mr2Mike

17,961 posts

179 months

Friday 6th October
quotequote all
Mignon said:
As for signs of overheating this can be an issue with some gauges once the water level drops below the sender.
I was thinking this, though the OP did say that the header tank still had coolant in it and it was only a few inches below the correct level. If the engine had got hot enough to seize I'd have expected most of the coolant to have escaped quite forcibly through the open header tank prior to that.

CrutyRammers

8,609 posts

122 months

Friday 6th October
quotequote all
Boosted LS1 said:
stevieturbo said:
Mignon said:
I'm a bit surprised how hard people have been on the OP. The only unusual thing was that the engine death was very sudden and apparently not preceded by some miles of power loss BUT this is harder to detect with a powerful engine and especially a turbo one and also towing up and down hills which is not a daily situation a driver would be used to. In any case the bottom end could have fried fairly quickly with wet liners that I surmise might have lifted when the head gasket started to go and let water into the sump oil. The crank bearings can go very fast in that situation. A non liner engine (solid block) could have struggled on better. As for signs of overheating this can be an issue with some gauges once the water level drops below the sender.

As for the mechanic he seems to have spotted the salient points and checked other sensible ones. I have no issue there either. A bit more charity chaps when trying to diagnose problems.

Anyway I doubt a repair is going to be economical sadly.
I'm in shock here...
Me to. It was the display of compassion, lol.
I confess I thought the whole thing was a wind-up/test being with Mr. M pretending to be a new poster when I saw that smile