PistonHeads.com Forum

New Vantage?

Author
Discussion

Graze01

246 posts

17 months

Thursday 15th June 2017
quotequote all
yep thats pretty damn good looking as a 2nd generation

Graze

Jon39

4,728 posts

68 months

Thursday 15th June 2017
quotequote all
codieskid said:
The Vantage has always been the prettiest Aston to my eyes, perfect proportions and even after all these years it still looks as beautiful as it did the first time I saw the concept way back in 2003.

This has always been the problem facing designers of a replacement Vantage. Improve on perfect looks, and somehow make every buyer say "Wow", immediately they see the car. When the original car was designed by Mr Callum, at least there was no direct predecessor to consider.

In the 'guesswork' picture below, my eye is drawn to the muddle along the sill and bottom of the door. It is as if the chassis has an RSJ, and we can see the edges of it protruding along the side of the car.

One aspect of the present Vantage, particularly prior to 12.25 MY, there is no part of the body design that is present, without a genuine reason and functional purpose.









Big Ry

1,081 posts

44 months

Thursday 15th June 2017
quotequote all
I wouldn't dive in on day one anyway, but if it does look like this then I'm sure I'd be a buyer at some point....when the S version comes out probably.

fuelracer496

1,786 posts

161 months

Thursday 15th June 2017
quotequote all
Just regarding the bottom sill line and the mass of lines in general in that area; the test mules are quite close in terms of wheelbase and overhangs, but only the very lowest parts of bodywork are close to being new Vantage bits. There's been some 'adaptation' to allow DB11 panels to fit. The result is some confusing architecture in places (as noted above, it's not very clean for that reason).

If you were to sit a test mule beside a DB11 the proportions and bodywork parts harvesting would appear more obvious. Aside from that, the render ties up neatly with the descriptions from those who've seen it smile


Speedraser

1,188 posts

108 months

Friday 16th June 2017
quotequote all
codieskid said:
... I can even look past a turbo merc engine if the car is stunning to look
I can't.
Advertisement

Shrimpvende

182 posts

17 months

Friday 16th June 2017
quotequote all
fuelracer496 said:
Just regarding the bottom sill line and the mass of lines in general in that area; the test mules are quite close in terms of wheelbase and overhangs, but only the very lowest parts of bodywork are close to being new Vantage bits. There's been some 'adaptation' to allow DB11 panels to fit. The result is some confusing architecture in places (as noted above, it's not very clean for that reason).

If you were to sit a test mule beside a DB11 the proportions and bodywork parts harvesting would appear more obvious. Aside from that, the render ties up neatly with the descriptions from those who've seen it smile
Yep - they also put shaped blocks of foam under the camo wrap to create artificial lines and bumps to disguise the shape further. I actually know what this car really looks like as I was lucky enough to see it when I worked at Gaydon. I can't and won't say anything more than I like it and want one!

HBradley

684 posts

106 months

Friday 16th June 2017
quotequote all
Shrimpvende said:
Yep - they also put shaped blocks of foam under the camo wrap to create artificial lines and bumps to disguise the shape further. I actually know what this car really looks like as I was lucky enough to see it when I worked at Gaydon. I can't and won't say anything more than I like it and want one!
We trust your judgement Scott, can't wait to see it!!!

66MK

307 posts

32 months

Friday 16th June 2017
quotequote all
Speedraser said:
I can't.
Neither can I.

HBradley

684 posts

106 months

Friday 16th June 2017
quotequote all
66MK said:
Speedraser said:
I can't.
Neither can I.
Each to their own obviously & whilst I respect your loyalty to the n/a power plant, nobody's seen it let alone driven the new car yet, what if it's utterly magnificent?!

RobDown

2,450 posts

53 months

Saturday 17th June 2017
quotequote all
Just listening to Dave Richards on Eurosport (an interview at Le Mans) and he was talking about the new Vantage being used at he race next year

He made the comment that the race car would be launched at the same time as the road car. And that the race car would be track testing late Summer

Seems to support the idea of a launch much sooner than Geneva

Dal3D

478 posts

76 months

Saturday 17th June 2017
quotequote all
RobDown said:
Just listening to Dave Richards on Eurosport (an interview at Le Mans) and he was talking about the new Vantage being used at he race next year

He made the comment that the race car would be launched at the same time as the road car. And that the race car would be track testing late Summer

Seems to support the idea of a launch much sooner than Geneva
Listening to that interview myself - Amazing to think the original 4 or 5 Race cars launched 9 / 10 years ago are still being used today. Supreme engineering.

66MK

307 posts

32 months

Saturday 17th June 2017
quotequote all
HBradley said:
66MK said:
Speedraser said:
I can't.
Neither can I.
Each to their own obviously & whilst I respect your loyalty to the n/a power plant, nobody's seen it let alone driven the new car yet, what if it's utterly magnificent?!
Hi, think you answered your own question there, for me, I'd rather have a DB4 than my Vantage - the Vantage is a much better car all round but I'd rather the other one! Just not enough pennies frown

Each to their own indeed.

Vantagemech

5,282 posts

140 months

Saturday 17th June 2017
quotequote all
I went to the AMR presentation last year and saw the full size mock up. All I can say is the rendering above is wrong smile
The conversation was about the race cars not road, but even back then they were aiming to have the race car ready at the time of launch.



Jon39

4,728 posts

68 months

Saturday 17th June 2017
quotequote all

Vantagemech said:
I went to the AMR presentation last year and saw the full size mock up. All I can say is the rendering above is wrong smile

I thought it must be wrong.

Reason - looking at the picture below (rear quarter view) apart from some details, it could be mistaken for the the present Vantage.
I know that happens with the 911, but people would laugh if the new Vantage was too similar to the 14 year old model.







HBradley

684 posts

106 months

Sunday 18th June 2017
quotequote all
Bets on unveil at Frankfurt in September?

Speedraser

1,188 posts

108 months

Wednesday 21st June 2017
quotequote all
HBradley said:
66MK said:
Speedraser said:
I can't.
Neither can I.
Each to their own obviously & whilst I respect your loyalty to the n/a power plant, nobody's seen it let alone driven the new car yet, what if it's utterly magnificent?!
Won't matter. Someone else's engine in an "Aston" totally ruins it for me -- absolute deal-breaker.

Bincenzo

2,286 posts

104 months

Wednesday 21st June 2017
quotequote all
Speedraser said:
Won't matter. Someone else's engine in an "Aston" totally ruins it for me -- absolute deal-breaker.
We get it. You say it every time this topic is brought up.

woodsypedia

573 posts

78 months

Wednesday 21st June 2017
quotequote all
Speedraser said:
Won't matter. Someone else's engine in an "Aston" totally ruins it for me -- absolute deal-breaker.
Each to there own but I don't understand this. To play a scenario - if you were given a V12 Vantage but weren't able to open the bonnet (hood in America!), would you still enjoy the car if it had a faster response than my snappy Mexican ex wife and sounded like Meghan Markle mid orgasm - despite not knowing what's under the hood?

The McLaren F1 used BMW engines, The Ariel Atom uses a Honda engine, The Paganai Huaryaryraura uses a Mercedes engine etc etc. The engine is only a small part of the power train - everything from gearbox tuning to exhaust configs and ECU maps all having a huge impact to the results.

That said, the bits you can touch and feel should rightfully have to be Aston owned or impacted. This is a huge issue with the DB11 and something I fear will hit the new Vantage - Merc front end.

Chris.

Venturist

2,510 posts

120 months

Wednesday 21st June 2017
quotequote all
Speedraser said:
Won't matter. Someone else's engine in an "Aston" totally ruins it for me -- absolute deal-breaker.
Agreed it would have been lovely, but since it was never going to happen whilst still turning a profit, no use dwelling on it.
If it sounds thunderous and goes like the clappers, I'm a happy man. And there's no reason to suspect it won't.

MarkM3Evoplus

248 posts

125 months

Wednesday 21st June 2017
quotequote all
Bit too F type at the rear. I think the F type coupe is lovely, just want the Aston to look different.