New Vantage?

Author
Discussion

RobDown

3,648 posts

75 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
Are they not offering 0% interest on these now? Or is that just on the DB11?

madcal

301 posts

84 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
RobDown said:
Are they not offering 0% interest on these now? Or is that just on the DB11?
not according to Astonmartin dot com

But I am sure there are offers available if you call. Personally I would call AM Works and ask for Matthew, he has been brilliant for me in the past!

Dewi 2

154 posts

12 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all

The £90,000 gen 2 Vantage has created interest.
I see that it is 1 & 3/4 years old, and 19,000 miles, so perhaps the asking price is lower due to those aspects. The first registration date appears to indicate a pre-production model.

Following the finance comments above, I am just interested whether PCP finance providers could ever miscalculate a residual value and therefore end up making a loss ?

I suppose this car might have been about £130,000 new, so with a dealer margin of say £10k, would have a residual value at present of £80,000, with depreciation of £50,000.


Agent57

517 posts

101 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
CSK1 said:
DB7 Vantage looks ace, or should I say "timeless" in the background.
Yeah looks good value. I think it's the purple one that's been on sale for ages.

raceboy

12,008 posts

227 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
Dewi 2 said:

I suppose this car might have been about £130,000 new,
I think that car would have been quite a bit north of that number...
Just a brief look at the options show Carbon front and rear, that’s about £7k twin exhausts back then was another grand, premium audio is about £1500 interior jewellery is about a grand...it all adds up, I bet that was at least £140k probably more. eek

RobDown

3,648 posts

75 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
raceboy said:
I think that car would have been quite a bit north of that number...
Just a brief look at the options show Carbon front and rear, that’s about £7k twin exhausts back then was another grand, premium audio is about £1500 interior jewellery is about a grand...it all adds up, I bet that was at least £140k probably more. eek
Crucially that calculation is before discounts. £150k lost cars were being sold at £120k in December (sorry if that upsets anyone who paid list!)

cayman-black

8,155 posts

163 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
SOL has just collected a lovely new Vantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzNy-3RfQ8

soofsayer

925 posts

82 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
Dewi 2 said:


Following the finance comments above, I am just interested whether PCP finance providers could ever miscalculate a residual value and therefore end up making a loss ?
The residual value is a good guess at what the car will be worth based on historical data and trends, so inevitably the finance companies screw up from time to time, but afaik it is uncommon under normal stable trading conditions, unforseen events (like the vw scandal) are the risk. Any loss is part recouped from the interest paid by the punter, so not a bad gig!

Pesty

40,628 posts

203 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
SOL has just collected a lovely new Vantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzNy-3RfQ8
Very nice.

RobDown

3,648 posts

75 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
soofsayer said:
The residual value is a good guess at what the car will be worth based on historical data and trends, so inevitably the finance companies screw up from time to time, but afaik it is uncommon under normal stable trading conditions, unforseen events (like the vw scandal) are the risk. Any loss is part recouped from the interest paid by the punter, so not a bad gig!
Exactly right- during normal trading condition it’s rare for the finance company to get things wrong - they normally set residual values around 10% lower than where they think the car will actually sell for. And because the contracts are short duration (typically 3 years) they can relatively quickly adjust to changing market conditions.

Having said that I’ve seen these guys lose money every time there’s a recession. It’s one reason why, if you go back to the 1990s, some of the larger car finance outfits ended up being owned by the banks (they went bust and the banks who lent to them took control).

DB9VolanteDriver

2,328 posts

123 months

Tuesday 8th October
quotequote all
RobDown said:
soofsayer said:
The residual value is a good guess at what the car will be worth based on historical data and trends, so inevitably the finance companies screw up from time to time, but afaik it is uncommon under normal stable trading conditions, unforseen events (like the vw scandal) are the risk. Any loss is part recouped from the interest paid by the punter, so not a bad gig!
Exactly right- during normal trading condition it’s rare for the finance company to get things wrong - they normally set residual values around 10% lower than where they think the car will actually sell for. And because the contracts are short duration (typically 3 years) they can relatively quickly adjust to changing market conditions.

Having said that I’ve seen these guys lose money every time there’s a recession. It’s one reason why, if you go back to the 1990s, some of the larger car finance outfits ended up being owned by the banks (they went bust and the banks who lent to them took control).
They do tend to underestimate, as a rule. I've been fortunate to have been able to sell my last 3 lease cars for more than the lease-end residual, to the tune of a a few thousand dollars each. Then I take that 'cash' back and used it for the initial capital reduction on the next lease car. Of course one of the reasons I tend to make out is that I put fewer miles on the car than what was contracted for, so my low mileage returns command a premium at time of sale.

Jon39

6,317 posts

90 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all

A huge number of very young cars for sale; overstocking at US and UK dealers; new car discounting; heavy initial depreciation.
Why is there so much negative talk here about the new Vantage ?

These comments were published in 2017.

Just days after the car was unveiled, the all-new 2019 Aston Martin Vantage with a starting price of $149,995, is almost sold out. The styling of the new luxury sports car was a bit controversial in automotive press circles, but the people have spoken and apparently the folks who are actually in the market for this car really like the new look.

“Most of our production for next year is already sold out,” Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer told Bloomberg without specifying production numbers. According to Bloomberg, 80 percent of Vantages for the 2019 model year have already been sold.



p1stonhead

20,621 posts

114 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
I’m amazed these are already dipping under £90k.

There is hope for me yet in a few years time!

RobDown

3,648 posts

75 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
Jon39 said:

A huge number of very young cars for sale; overstocking at US and UK dealers; new car discounting; heavy initial depreciation.
Why is there so much negative talk here about the new Vantage ?

These comments were published in 2017.

Just days after the car was unveiled, the all-new 2019 Aston Martin Vantage with a starting price of $149,995, is almost sold out. The styling of the new luxury sports car was a bit controversial in automotive press circles, but the people have spoken and apparently the folks who are actually in the market for this car really like the new look.

“Most of our production for next year is already sold out,” Aston Martin CEO Andy Palmer told Bloomberg without specifying production numbers. According to Bloomberg, 80 percent of Vantages for the 2019 model year have already been sold.
It’s because this forum is full of miserable sods wink

I know lots of people who have bought the new Vantage and love them. By all accounts they are a genuine dynamic step forward from the old Vantage. But the European car market has had a downturn, and I think maybe AML was a tad ambitious with its UK pricing strategy

Be careful about viewing stock levels in the US (I’m sure you know this already). People typically buy cars in the US from dealer stock rather than bespoke factory orders (the norm in the UK). Non-European sales of Vantage have gone pretty well.

One interesting question for the Vantage - are we going to see as S - version? I note the DBX is getting a higher turn level of the V8 engine - surely not long before that tune makes its way into the Vantage?

Edited by RobDown on Wednesday 9th October 11:42

dbs2000

2,237 posts

139 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
cayman-black said:
SOL has just collected a lovely new Vantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzNy-3RfQ8
That looks stunning in lightning silver. The shot of the rear as he reverses out is fantastic.

8Speed

168 posts

13 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
[quote=RobDown]

It’s because this forum is full of miserable sods??

whistlehehe




Minglar

220 posts

70 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
Does look very nice in Lightning Silver and the back looks pretty good apart from the aero, but I guess that’s the way most cars are heading now. It’s clearly very colour dependent, as has been mentioned here many times. I’m still unsure why they decided to use Lime Essence as one of the launch colours. It looks so much better in a good old fashioned AM hue. I think the light/brake bar strip is now available in a smoked/clear finish which also looks good from the pictures I’ve seen. The car is certainly starting to grow on me, but surprisingly, I’ve seen very few out and about in the wild. Perhaps I live in the wrong area, and perhaps I am a little too miserable as well? (just joking Rob!)

Best Regards

Minglar

RobDown

3,648 posts

75 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
Sorry my smiley didn’t come out correctly on the miserable side comment and got replaced by a jumble of random characters (too used to WhatsApp!). Was meant to be tongue-in-cheek (well a little wink )

Minglar

220 posts

70 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
RobDown said:
Sorry my smiley didn’t come out correctly on the miserable side comment and got replaced by a jumble of random characters (too used to WhatsApp!). Was meant to be tongue-in-cheek (well a little wink )
Lol. Yes I know. It did make me laugh though! The SOL guy is typical of the new/younger customer base they are aiming at for sure. But I still think the car is growing on me, and I wouldn’t rule out getting one.

Best Regards

Minglar

shinjuku

331 posts

28 months

Wednesday 9th October
quotequote all
Lightning Silver does suit the car—like it did the old one. It suits this, with black accents. Silver wheels would probably look lovely, too.

I think the car looks great; it's the interior that I have more of an issue with. But then, I love the GT8, GT12, and the AMR cars, plus the GTE etc race car(s). The DB9 is ridiculously classy and classic, and the old Vantage classy and sporting in one. My thoughts are that the new Vantage doesn't quite have the class, but definitely looks more sporting.

cayman-black said:
SOL has just collected a lovely new Vantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBzNy-3RfQ8
It's a shame he hasn't bought it. No money for AML... just an advert whilst he ponces around on Youtube.

I'm not jealous.

Edited by shinjuku on Wednesday 9th October 12:02