AM vs Independent Servicing

AM vs Independent Servicing

Author
Discussion

paulrog1

543 posts

98 months

Monday 3rd August
quotequote all
Just a follow on from my post above, I do recommend plugging the car into an AM diagnostic laptop as that can identify issues which the driver will not know so that will help at service, I have taken mine to Bamford Rose for a AMDS check.

renmure

3,233 posts

181 months

Monday 3rd August
quotequote all
When I traded my V8V the fact that it had the previous 3 services at a specialist made no difference to the trade in price. All they wanted to know was that it was done in accordance with the Aston service schedule. The Aston Dealer wouldn't price match probably because it was half their quote for doing the work in the first place. These £500-£800 savings soon add up over the years.

bogie

14,825 posts

229 months

Monday 3rd August
quotequote all
TheRainMaker said:
What are peoples views on Aston Martin Works?
Its another dealer located at a very nice historical place for Aston Martin. Great to visit at least once. I was working in the area so booked a service there once and it was worth it for the tour around. Typical main dealer pricing, great for the fixed price service, can get expensive thereafter (add on £1k for discs n pads etc)

EVR

819 posts

17 months

Tuesday 4th August
quotequote all
I wish I had that problem, in my country there are just 2 official dealers and 0 independents. biggrin

DB9newbie

36 posts

12 months

Tuesday 4th August
quotequote all
I agree with many of the posts above. One has to decide if you really think the residual value will be significantly affected by non-dealer services, while also wanting the car to be properly maintained. I bought a 5 year old, 17000 mile DB9 from a main dealer and at its 1st service a year and 1400 miles later, by an independent, we found the air filters and pollen filters were in a filthy condition and the front splitter support brackets has almost rusted out! I contend that your car will be worth more if it is in good condition rather than in poor condition but dealer maintained.

oilit

1,240 posts

135 months

Tuesday 4th August
quotequote all
DB9newbie said:
I agree with many of the posts above. One has to decide if you really think the residual value will be significantly affected by non-dealer services, while also wanting the car to be properly maintained. I bought a 5 year old, 17000 mile DB9 from a main dealer and at its 1st service a year and 1400 miles later, by an independent, we found the air filters and pollen filters were in a filthy condition and the front splitter support brackets has almost rusted out! I contend that your car will be worth more if it is in good condition rather than in poor condition but dealer maintained.
I must admit I am contemplating taking my 2008 db9 to a specialist going forward - and tbh the real value is greater to me than anyone else - and if an enthusiast buys it if and when i do sell it - they will more likely understand - afterall - how many DB6 are serviced by AM main dealers these days ? It doesn't seem to affect their value.....

steveamv8

129 posts

33 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
I have just taken my 4.7 to its first independent after doing its annual at a dealer and still under the timeless.
I pointed to lots of stuff from paint problems, lights condensated up etc

I got the not covered by timeless, they all do that sir.
Would you like to have another year of extended warranty ?
As i coughed into my very expensive Free coffee
My answer was ram it.

The car will not be going back there.
and i've just put a lightweight two part clutch in it

I've now rectified and spent more putting little parts right on the car that a main dealer wouldn't have done.

If and when I sell it.

I know from the receipts folder that the next owner will be getting a properly sorted car
Independent everytime.

vernierMike

266 posts

51 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
Having recently thought about this for my own car, as with all these things it depends very much on the car - age, princess-ness, how standard, keeper or not and who you want to (realistically) appeal to. My own amateurish logic;

IF you want to appeal all, including new-comers to the marque, AND your car is young, low mileage AND already has a FAMSH THEN continue with AM servicing
ELSE
If you have more miles/age AND might sell soon OR don't know your spanners THEN explore independent
ELSE
IF you have lots more miles/age AND you won't sell soon AND you know spanners THEN hold your breath and do it yourself.

Particularly as a car approaches say 8-10 years old, totally agree that condition and good records will trump just stamps.

Indies can be better than main dealers and vice versa. I'd err on the side of independents for enthusiasm, obvious logic wrt to costs and overheads, flexibility to engineering solutions not necessarily replacement and, well, my own experiences. I'd look favourably on a BR or Chiltern maintained machine as I have good experience with them both, but then I am no longer new to Astons...

With both main dealer and indie, check that the work is done well and as said, use someone you trust. Try haggling.

SHIFTY

574 posts

193 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
Slightly off topic but condensation of lights is covered when the car is due an MOT and only then under the AM Timeless Premium warranty with MOT cover (non classic AM).

Taken from Timeless documentation specific to when car requires MOT and fails: -

The following parts are covered by Aston Martin MOT Test Cover:
Lamps including Xenon, High Intensity Discharge (HID), Light Emitting Diodes (LED), reflectors, indicators, bulbs, headlamp
levelling and cleaning devices (when fitted for HID or LED headlamps) are covered for test failure due to: Breakage, discolouration, electrical Failure, misalignment, water ingress, and corrosion.

Timeless MOT cover includes a lot more equipment but will only be rectified if the car fails the MOT and has a maximum payout of £2000.


Edited by SHIFTY on Thursday 6th August 11:30

AstonV

972 posts

63 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
I wish we had a BR independent over here by me. I would never take back to the dealer, watch their videos, they are much more thorough than the dealers at least over here for sure. If you have any experience with cars, simple maintenance like oil changes etc, you can do your self. Still not cheap by time you purchase the oil, filter and plugs etc. But rewarding and enjoyable for me at least. I would only take to the dealer for other fluid changes etc. Save yourself a couple of grand a year. Depending how long you keep the car, you will never make it back on the value of the car anyway. I plan on keeping mine in the family, so residuals are not a concern. I think extended warranties are a waste too, I would rather self insure and keep that money.

vernierMike

266 posts

51 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
AstonV said:
I wish we had a BR independent over here by me. I would never take back to the dealer, watch their videos, they are much more thorough than the dealers at least over here for sure. If you have any experience with cars, simple maintenance like oil changes etc, you can do your self. Still not cheap by time you purchase the oil, filter and plugs etc. But rewarding and enjoyable for me at least. I would only take to the dealer for other fluid changes etc. Save yourself a couple of grand a year. Depending how long you keep the car, you will never make it back on the value of the car anyway. I plan on keeping mine in the family, so residuals are not a concern. I think extended warranties are a waste too, I would rather self insure and keep that money.
If you use the links and recommendations on this marvellous forum the parts are much cheaper than AM - my filter kit was £22, oil is 10W60 synth so not that cheap if you get the right stuff and spark plugs really cheap $5 each and only every 70,000 miles!

Brake fluid change easy with an EeziBleed kit, haven't tried the clutch as I have a new clutch recently fitted but you need tallish stands/access I'd imagine.

But I think it is fair that IF you are interested in resale then you're reducing your pool of potential buyers by self servicing.

AstonV

972 posts

63 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
vernierMike said:
If you use the links and recommendations on this marvellous forum the parts are much cheaper than AM - my filter kit was £22, oil is 10W60 synth so not that cheap if you get the right stuff and spark plugs really cheap $5 each and only every 70,000 miles!

Brake fluid change easy with an EeziBleed kit, haven't tried the clutch as I have a new clutch recently fitted but you need tallish stands/access I'd imagine.

But I think it is fair that IF you are interested in resale then you're reducing your pool of potential buyers by self servicing.
I purchase filter etc from Aston Bits or Redpants over here, oil on Amazon Castrol 10W-60, so costs around $200 for everything, I believe the dealer wants around $600 for oil change. The dealer did the 4 year service last year, all fluids etc. and I have them again when brake and transmission fluids are due. I don't drive it enough to worry about much else. Only sees a few 100 miles a year, but I still change the oil once a year. I just can't see paying the dealer $2000/year for service. Another $3000/ year for extended warranty.

Dewi 2

319 posts

22 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all

AstonV said:
Only sees a few 100 miles a year, but I still change the oil once a year.

You could safely do an oil change every two years, with that low mileage.
Mercedes-Benz are happy with a bi-annual oil change, even when mileage is six or seven thousand pa.
Synthetic oils are longer lasting than others.


pggroves

87 posts

172 months

Wednesday 5th August
quotequote all
Had my Vantage for over 8 years. Used the Main Dealer I bought it off for the first service and wasn’t a bit impressed.
Used Aston Engineering for servicing for several years and wouldn’t go anywhere else. Nice people who know their stuff and a pleasure to deal with and have a look around. It’s a 130 mile round trip but worth it.
It gives me peace of mind and that’s worth a lot !!

AMVSVNick

6,631 posts

119 months

Thursday 6th August
quotequote all
TheRainMaker said:
What are peoples views on Aston Martin Works?
Brilliant in my opinion. Last year Martyn called me to say a couple of brake hoses (I think) were showing signs of surface corrosion. Would I like them replacing or just cleaning up. Can't complain at that attitude!

Used to use BR but never again and only in the last two weeks heard a couple of intriguing stories!!