North West 200

Author
Discussion

PorkInsider

Original Poster:

5,323 posts

118 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Rob 131 Sport said:
Yazza54 said:
Don't know the bald fellas name (BBC NI presenter) but you'd think after all these years he would have figured out a way of getting Phil McCallen to shut his trap rofl
The coverage has been excellent. I personally really like Philip McCallen, his commentary and expert opinion. I’m really pleased to see that Keith Huewen and Steve Parrish and from what I saw of their commentary (outside of work) it was top notch.
I agree with all your points.

Although, Parrish did at one point refer to the speed they were hitting on the "straight away", which almost had me reaching for the mute button for second!

A993LAD

1,171 posts

198 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
And when the Super Sport race was restarted Huewen committed a major gaffe by announcing the bikes were off on their warm-up lap.

Parish had to point out that there was no warm-up lap and this was the actual race getting underway.

It's a bit poor when the main commentator isn't paying enough attention to know when the race starts!

Rob 131 Sport

997 posts

29 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
A993LAD said:
And when the Super Sport race was restarted Huewen committed a major gaffe by announcing the bikes were off on their warm-up lap.

Parish had to point out that there was no warm-up lap and this was the actual race getting underway.

It's a bit poor when the main commentator isn't paying enough attention to know when the race starts!
Imagine how difficult it must be to commentate for hour upon hour. I think they did brilliantly and will be playing it back on the i Player on my way home.

loskie

4,016 posts

97 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
not difficult at all. It's their job. There are much harder jobs.

Rob 131 Sport

997 posts

29 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
loskie said:
not difficult at all. It's their job. There are much harder jobs.
With Fred Clarke retired, if you had Julian Ryder in there it would really be something.

rigga

7,555 posts

178 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Was shaking my head when they were questioning why Rutter wasn't on the grid for the supersport race, having a bike in that category might help.
Commenting on the racing as ex racers I don't mind them, the waffle when they are filling in between can be wearing at times, but you can't have silence.
As ever there are better and worse people to do it.

towser44

2,868 posts

92 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
rigga said:
Was shaking my head when they were questioning why Rutter wasn't on the grid for the supersport race, having a bike in that category might help.
Commenting on the racing as ex racers I don't mind them, the waffle when they are filling in between can be wearing at times, but you can't have silence.
As ever there are better and worse people to do it.
They also waffled on for a good few mins when the Superstockers went out for sighting laps as to whether Rutter was racing and how they thought not as he had said he didn't like racing in the wet on the roads earlier that evening and how much of a 'rain man' he was in the past, yet, literally seconds before they started waffling on about whether he was taking to the grid or not, he was quite clearly visible on screen setting off from the grid for the sighting laps lol.

Yazza54

16,432 posts

158 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Rob 131 Sport said:
Yazza54 said:
Don't know the bald fellas name (BBC NI presenter) but you'd think after all these years he would have figured out a way of getting Phil McCallen to shut his trap rofl
The coverage has been excellent. I personally really like Philip McCallen, his commentary and expert opinion. I’m really pleased to see that Keith Huewen and Steve Parrish and from what I saw of their commentary (outside of work) it was top notch.
Wasn't knocking it, there was just numerous moments where it looked like he desperately wanted to move on and Phil just kept talking. Made me laugh.

rigga

7,555 posts

178 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Yazza54 said:
Rob 131 Sport said:
Yazza54 said:
Don't know the bald fellas name (BBC NI presenter) but you'd think after all these years he would have figured out a way of getting Phil McCallen to shut his trap rofl
The coverage has been excellent. I personally really like Philip McCallen, his commentary and expert opinion. I’m really pleased to see that Keith Huewen and Steve Parrish and from what I saw of their commentary (outside of work) it was top notch.
Wasn't knocking it, there was just numerous moments where it looked like he desperately wanted to move on and Phil just kept talking. Made me laugh.
And why have they only two microphones between them, seems daft when there's four of them standing chatting, and having someone else holding the mic to your mouth.

Cutbacks.

chris4652009

1,500 posts

61 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Has anyone got a link or screen shot of the scheduled for the racing in the morning please?

Much appreciated

jjones

4,189 posts

170 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
chris4652009 said:
Has anyone got a link or screen shot of the scheduled for the racing in the morning please?

Much appreciated
https://speedhive.mylaps.com/LiveTiming/ENRPNRVR-2147483710

PorkInsider

Original Poster:

5,323 posts

118 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Live coverage of today's racing is up and running:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/northern-ireland/...

rigga

7,555 posts

178 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Its great that the cancelled supertwin race from Thurs, has been rescheduled for today.

Ryan Farquar has put a great deal of effort and money into developing the class, so more exposure the better.

Wonder if the Max 5 races a day rule has been waived, as now today there are 6, and some riders are in all classes.

towser44

2,868 posts

92 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
rigga said:
Its great that the cancelled supertwin race from Thurs, has been rescheduled for today.

Ryan Farquar has put a great deal of effort and money into developing the class, so more exposure the better.

Wonder if the Max 5 races a day rule has been waived, as now today there are 6, and some riders are in all classes.
Sounds like still a 5 race limit listening to that interview with Lee Johnston then

rigga

7,555 posts

178 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
towser44 said:
Sounds like still a 5 race limit listening to that interview with Lee Johnston then
2nd supertwin grid might be a bit depleted maybe, choices to be made.

Great battle at the front in the supersport race.

slopes

34,661 posts

164 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Cooper been disqualified from both Supertwin races for an illegal modification apparently

egor110

15,191 posts

180 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Looks like Hickman's team have pulled him out of the event due to rear tyre issues.

epom

8,729 posts

138 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all


rigga

7,555 posts

178 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Davey Todd's front tyre is worse.


Normodog

135 posts

17 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
rigga said:
Davey Todd's front tyre is worse.

That's on the superstock bike, I wonder if he damaged the tyre slightly when he ran off the track then rejoined. Could have been what started that delamination.