Nomad order - current owner advice

Nomad order - current owner advice

Author
Discussion

Lighty

365 posts

166 months

Friday 28th April 2017
quotequote all
PistonBroker said:
Nothing to add other than I managed to get a tour of Ariel on Tuesday and now the want is even stronger!
Only £3kdeposit smile

tuffer

8,682 posts

226 months

Friday 28th April 2017
quotequote all
What is the current lead time?

Lighty

365 posts

166 months

Friday 28th April 2017
quotequote all
tuffer said:
What is the current lead time?
I would imagine about 18 months

stormcloud123

222 posts

125 months

Friday 28th April 2017
quotequote all
I would imagine it's around 18 also.

JerryF

140 posts

133 months

Wednesday 14th March 2018
quotequote all
Like to to thank you all for the info on this thread.

I placed my order in January and I'm going through all the permutations that you all have going through.

Thoughts on my spec will follow and I hope those who have their cars will help me out to make a few decisions.

Primarily, I HAVE to get the uprated clutch and oil cooler - just in case.....
Next big question Alcans and Ohlins? Are Ohlins a must?
Final one - underbody protection and side panels?

Was quoted 12-14 months, which sounds realistic. There is a 400 mile car on the USED section of the Nomad site I did think about - but it's not exactly the spec I need.

mudnomad

3,933 posts

143 months

Wednesday 14th March 2018
quotequote all
JerryF said:
Like to to thank you all for the info on this thread.

I placed my order in January and I'm going through all the permutations that you all have going through.

Thoughts on my spec will follow and I hope those who have their cars will help me out to make a few decisions.

Primarily, I HAVE to get the uprated clutch and oil cooler - just in case.....
Next big question Alcans and Ohlins? Are Ohlins a must?
Final one - underbody protection and side panels?

Was quoted 12-14 months, which sounds realistic. There is a 400 mile car on the USED section of the Nomad site I did think about - but it's not exactly the spec I need.
Won't comment on brakes and suspension - I have Alcons and Ohlins and I love both but I don't have experience with cheaper setup.
Side panels are a must, don't even consider not ordering them if you're planning any longer drives. Underbody protection - depending on how are you planning to use it, if planning offroading I'd say they are essential since the tub is very fragile and exposed otherwise.

Make sure you order heated windscreen - you'll regret not getting it first time you hit any water in anger.
Also, I'd get ambidextrous chassis - very cheap to spec but opens up a whole world as a market if you ever decide to sell it.

JerryF

140 posts

133 months

Thursday 15th March 2018
quotequote all
I have to say your Youtube videos are inspirational. When I was thinking about a Nomad, watching your vids, pushed me over the edge. The Brexit tour, looked like great fun.

I do like the cover you had made for the roof, I will try to get something similar.

Yep, Alcans and Ohlins are a must and the heated screen a definite. Didn't want to spend more than 55k, but I think that's a minimum.




Lighty

365 posts

166 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
I would say that the Alcons are essential, the standard brakes are tiny.
I payed later for the removable steering wheel, but never take it off. Guess it’s useful for anti theft reasons if you park up overnight somewhere.
I have Ohlins, but they are complex to get set up, maybe the Fox option is good ? At least the Ohlins can be overhauled when worn out.
I love the supercharger & for me it’s a must, but it absolutely drinks fuel & at £55k you won’t have enough cash to get it.
I am going to get the winch soon, as it gives more confidence off road in case you get stuck.

gtm

8 posts

22 months

Tuesday 1st January 2019
quotequote all
Im about to get in line for a nomad, but was wondering if anyone knows is the deposit refundable and is anyone debating their order. I had a heart attack this year so maybe this is not the best car for me, but also taught me not to put things off. However, ariel's lead times kind of make this decision put off for well over a year frown

It seems all resale prices are ridiculously high for the sake of bypassing the queue, but well if anyone knows anyone who is changing their mind or fed up of waiting, I'd be interested, otherwise I hope I am still alive when my order gets to the shop floor.

Why dont they invest and ramp up to get lead times down to about 6 months? Still high residuals that way, but happier customers and less people GT3 style taking advantage. Seems logical and do-able for this size of a business and the investment I feel sure would be easy to get. UK manufacturing is crying out for these type of companies to explore their options....

Same as lister bell, great product, but 12 18 months is crazy........

gtm

8 posts

22 months

Saturday 5th January 2019
quotequote all
[quote=stormcloud123]Roof update!!

Now have a custom roof made and fitted, this is a prototype but already it's pretty much there. I need to take it back in a few months as i'd like the inside t-bar and front bar also mohaired from the roof to make it more integrated, also the back to be tensed up to pull the roof firmly across all points. it'll stay as compact as it is now. I'm liking it, a lot. Happy chappy. smile




Hi there

Can you share where you got your roof done, it looks much better than the usa one. If possible I would order one before i get my car and take it with me....
thanks!

gtm

8 posts

22 months

Tuesday 8th January 2019
quotequote all
gtm]tormcloud123 said:
Roof update!!

Hi there

Can you share where you got your roof done, it looks much better than the usa one. If possible I would order one before i get my car and take it with me....
thanks!
This has all gone dead then? All nomad owners using their door'd cars for the winter? frown

Lighty

365 posts

166 months

Thursday 17th January 2019
quotequote all
gtm said:
Im about to get in line for a nomad, but was wondering if anyone knows is the deposit refundable and is anyone debating their order. I had a heart attack this year so maybe this is not the best car for me, but also taught me not to put things off. However, ariel's lead times kind of make this decision put off for well over a year frown

It seems all resale prices are ridiculously high for the sake of bypassing the queue, but well if anyone knows anyone who is changing their mind or fed up of waiting, I'd be interested, otherwise I hope I am still alive when my order gets to the shop floor.

Why dont they invest and ramp up to get lead times down to about 6 months? Still high residuals that way, but happier customers and less people GT3 style taking advantage. Seems logical and do-able for this size of a business and the investment I feel sure would be easy to get. UK manufacturing is crying out for these type of companies to explore their options....

Same as lister bell, great product, but 12 18 months is crazy........
Worth asking the factory if their are earlier slots available , they must have the odd cancellation , especially possible at this time of year.

gtm

8 posts

22 months

Wednesday 6th February 2019
quotequote all
Lighty said:
Worth asking the factory if their are earlier slots available , they must have the odd cancellation , especially possible at this time of year.
Did so and got a very quick turn around for various reasons, but luck being the main one as far as I am concerned and other peoples wanting more and more.
Anyway, about 7 weeks to wait now.....
Even bought forza horizon to be able to get a better look at the car from all angles.. very sad...

Lighty

365 posts

166 months

Wednesday 13th February 2019
quotequote all
gtm said:
Did so and got a very quick turn around for various reasons, but luck being the main one as far as I am concerned and other peoples wanting more and more.
Anyway, about 7 weeks to wait now.....
Even bought forza horizon to be able to get a better look at the car from all angles.. very sad...
Where are you based ?
Welcome to come & look at mine to your hearts content if nearby .