Converting to Megasquirt

Converting to Megasquirt

Author
Discussion

ChilliWhizz

9,058 posts

106 months

Monday 3rd November 2014
quotequote all
Hopefully smile apart from shore based planning and review stuff (which is Aberdeen office or from home) not currently expecting to start offshore phase until January.... woohoo Christmas at home cloud9


sgrimshaw

6,327 posts

195 months

Monday 3rd November 2014
quotequote all
AceOfHearts said:
I have but I want to learn how to do it myself really. I deal a lot with computers and PLC's at work but car wise I have only ever mucked about with carburetors so EFI is something I would like to learn.
You are not far from Shaun, I highly recommend that you either take the car to him or get him to come to you for a tuning/education session.

His rates are extremely reasonable and his knowledge is second to none (IMO).


AceOfHearts

Original Poster:

5,239 posts

136 months

Monday 3rd November 2014
quotequote all
sgrimshaw said:
AceOfHearts said:
I have but I want to learn how to do it myself really. I deal a lot with computers and PLC's at work but car wise I have only ever mucked about with carburetors so EFI is something I would like to learn.
You are not far from Shaun, I highly recommend that you either take the car to him or get him to come to you for a tuning/education session.

His rates are extremely reasonable and his knowledge is second to none (IMO).
From the experiences on here I will ask him about tuning when he gets in contact about the loomthen smile Where is he based then?

QBee

16,986 posts

89 months

Monday 3rd November 2014
quotequote all
ChilliWhizz said:
Hopefully smile apart from shore based planning and review stuff (which is Aberdeen office or from home) not currently expecting to start offshore phase until January.... woohoo Christmas at home cloud9
YHM

sgrimshaw

6,327 posts

195 months

Monday 3rd November 2014
quotequote all
AceOfHearts said:
From the experiences on here I will ask him about tuning when he gets in contact about the loomthen smile Where is he based then?
Pretty sure it's Spalding, Lincs.

AceOfHearts

Original Poster:

5,239 posts

136 months

Thursday 20th November 2014
quotequote all
Everything is here now, just waiting on the loom.

Will start fitting up on Friday. I have to pull the radiator to fix a leak so will get the crank pulley off to fit the trigger wheel. I have found the video online about fitting the trigger wheel to a pre-serp RV8 engine, is it the same for the serpentine belt?

Another question is I have a dizzy plug from Phil, but reading online it looks like they can only be used on certain engines as the distributor drives on some are used for the cam. Anyone know if my 1995 Serp is suitable?

NZ fan

299 posts

79 months

Thursday 20th November 2014
quotequote all
Another question is I have a dizzy plug from Phil, but reading online it looks like they can only be used on certain engines as the distributor drives on some are used for the cam. Anyone know if my 1995 Serp is suitable?

You will be fine removing the distributor from your serp engine it's the pre-serp engines that you can't easily remove the distributor from as it drives the oil pump. Your serp engine has the oil pump driven off the front of the crankshaft.

phazed

18,181 posts

149 months

Thursday 20th November 2014
quotequote all
Quite right on the dizzy plug.

Fitting the trigger wheel is easy, pretty self explanatory when it's in front of you.

I can't remember but I think I removed my pulley to fit or it may have been off at the time???

If you can fit in situ then that will save the hassle of undoing the retaining bolt which is torqued up very tightly.

AceOfHearts

Original Poster:

5,239 posts

136 months

Saturday 22nd November 2014
quotequote all
Got a lot done today with my mate Jon. We got the leaky radiator out (which is leaking in more places than i realised so i think an ally one is on the cards now). We also fitted the trigger wheel and crank sensor, and removed the entire loom from the car. Looking very bare in the engine bay now, i will get a photo tomorrow when its light. Everything went very smoothly and was quite enjoyable.

Now i have a big pile of bits ready to sell once the new loom arrives and the car is fully up and running. Just need to sort out a coil pack bracket now smile


phazed

18,181 posts

149 months

Saturday 22nd November 2014
quotequote all
Take time fitting the new loom and run the wiring as neatly as possible.

I enjoyed that part, sad but true.

AceOfHearts

Original Poster:

5,239 posts

136 months

Saturday 22nd November 2014
quotequote all
Yes i am looking forward to fitting the new one smile

phazed

18,181 posts

149 months

Saturday 22nd November 2014
quotequote all
I've just refitted my loom as the engine has been out!


ChimpOnGas

8,872 posts

124 months

Saturday 22nd November 2014
quotequote all
phazed said:
I've just refitted my loom as the engine has been out!

yum very neat yum

ChilliWhizz

9,058 posts

106 months

Saturday 22nd November 2014
quotequote all
ChimpOnGas said:
phazed said:
I've just refitted my loom as the engine has been out!

yum very neat yum
Blatant photo opportunity, no sign of a loom.... shame on you Peter wink

ETA: Love the rocker covers... mine are badly in need of a refurb...


Edited by ChilliWhizz on Sunday 23 November 09:47

QBee

16,986 posts

89 months

Sunday 23rd November 2014
quotequote all
ChilliWhizz said:
ChimpOnGas said:
phazed said:
I've just refitted my loom as the engine has been out!

yum very neat yum
Blatant photo opportunity, no sign of a loom.... shame on you Peter wink

ETA: Love the rocker covers... mine are badly in need of a refurb...


Edited by ChilliWhizz on Sunday 23 November 09:47
Always thought Chilliwhizz was off his rockers.......and here's the proof! hehe

AceOfHearts

Original Poster:

5,239 posts

136 months

Tuesday 25th November 2014
quotequote all
Ignition leads and crimping tool bought. Also got some stainless steel to make the coil pack bracket on Thursday. New aluminium radiator also ordered whilst the old one is out.

Old ignition parts now in the classifieds smile

Hoover.

5,919 posts

187 months

Tuesday 25th November 2014
quotequote all
AceOfHearts said:
New aluminium radiator also ordered whilst the old one is out
Fool... should of got the old one recored at Harts Rads down by the canal in Hertford...... ali rads hav issues with cracking and not flexing on the roads....... yes a nice new ali rad is nice, and goes with race ethos.... but after a year or two on the road ??????

phazed

18,181 posts

149 months

Wednesday 26th November 2014
quotequote all
Hoover. said:
AceOfHearts said:
New aluminium radiator also ordered whilst the old one is out
Fool... should of got the old one recored at Harts Rads down by the canal in Hertford...... ali rads hav issues with cracking and not flexing on the roads....... yes a nice new ali rad is nice, and goes with race ethos.... but after a year or two on the road ??????
I think a lot of that is bolting the rad down unevenly inducing stress to the rad.

AceOfHearts

Original Poster:

5,239 posts

136 months

Wednesday 26th November 2014
quotequote all
Old one recored was very similar money, my mate with an s3 has just had it done there. I have had rads fixed by Herts rads before and they have been good. I might keep the old one as a spare just in case though.

People have done well with Aaron radiators so fingers crossed smile

db484bhpv8

8,434 posts

165 months

Wednesday 26th November 2014
quotequote all
I will be rubber mounting mine come Friday then.