Another body off thread.

Another body off thread.

Author
Discussion

philburch

186 posts

124 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
I did my Chim 5yrs ago ,lots of sleepless nights thinking about all the what if's.When you get started you will find it's not that bad.As others have said take lots of pictures ,you can't take to many.I got some plastic containers for all the suspension parts marked them up for each corner . The sense of achievement you will get when it's done is amazing. Good luck.


Tyre Tread

9,249 posts

171 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Come on Al, get on with it.

We're waiting!
smash

roseytvr

1,715 posts

133 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Cmon Al, too many tea and fag breaks! You got the bonnet off yet mate?

I have a engine crane you can borrow if you need it.

Good luck

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Petrol tank drained pipes loosened and out bar two bolts I need an extra pair of hands on, decided against using cutting disc as fuel was everywhere.
Rad drained and out bar another pair of hands to lift it away as it scratches my paint.
Starter motor removed
Exhaust and Manifolds and Y piece removed. Rear anti roll bar was already removed. Manifolds are time consuming so i’m chuffed a got them out the way.

Hopefully a have full day on it Sunday as today was only about 5 hrs work so I’m fairly happy with progress. Jeez it’s a daunting old task but enjoy being in the garage pottering away smile

Can’t seem to download pics from my phone so I’ll try again next time with iPad.

Edited by Classic Chim on Friday 29th November 16:55

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
philburch said:
I did my Chim 5yrs ago ,lots of sleepless nights thinking about all the what if's.When you get started you will find it's not that bad.As others have said take lots of pictures ,you can't take to many.I got some plastic containers for all the suspension parts marked them up for each corner . The sense of achievement you will get when it's done is amazing. Good luck.

Thanks Phil. I found today quiet therapeutic just me alone in the garage with the radio on deep in thought and scrabbling about removing things.
My mates tools are a nightmare, takes me 5 mins to find what I’m after so likely to take my own socket and spanner sets just because it saves faffing about.


Skyedriver

9,768 posts

237 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
It's the doing it single handed bit that would worry me.
That and the exhaust manifolds, I replaced gaskets on a previous Chimaera - 5 hours as side......

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Skyedriver said:
It's the doing it single handed bit that would worry me.
That and the exhaust manifolds, I replaced gaskets on a previous Chimaera - 5 hours as side......
I’ve had plenty of offers of help from the Tvr community bow and my friend who’s garage it is can hold the odd spanner here and there.
Much of this work pulling it apart I can do safely alone, I think I’ll need more help when putting it back together.
Once I’m ready to lift body I’ll be be grabbing a few friends to help coax the thing off.



TJC46

2,030 posts

161 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
This thread is nothing without pics.

We need lots of "before" and "after" pics please.

I really enjoyed doing my body lift.

There is something quite satisfying when it all starts to go back together. Any way, this thread had me searching through some old photos.

Here you go.... a before and after. 1st pic is right at the beginning of the strip down. 2nd pic is the really enjoyable bit when it all starts to go back.




blaze_away

1,043 posts

168 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Just confirming I have quite a lot of tools at your disposal and am 15mins away, willing to help as much as you need pal.

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
roseytvr said:
Cmon Al, too many tea and fag breaks! You got the bonnet off yet mate?

I have a engine crane you can borrow if you need it.

Good luck
Can tell you and Alan run things hehe

1 tea break and that was drank on the job, no time to stand about in my line of work biggrin

Cheers Ian, we’ve got all the gear,,, no idea but I’ll work it out.

Great craic ain’t it smile


Mr Supercharged

486 posts

112 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Did you go for the red chassis colour to match the bodywork? What coatings did you have?

I've considered all sort of colours but think I'll stay with white, probably gloss if that's possible

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
blaze_away said:
Just confirming I have quite a lot of tools at your disposal and am 15mins away, willing to help as much as you need pal.
Thanks Frank. I’ll Bell you smile

I’ve been a bit fed up recently thinking the Tvr forum /fraternity had reduced itself to being obsessed with prices and market forces( bound to happen when money gets tight) and all the home builders / modders had got bored and onto other things.

It’s nice to still see so many offer help / confidence tools, hands on, the lot.
If it wasn’t for Peter I’d still have a naff Diff in there, if it wasn’t for Anthony my clutch would still be lying in pieces,,, the list of people who have given free advice is endless.
I’ve learnt so much since owning this money pit, fulfilled a boys dream,
Manifold bolts push my patience a bit wink

A year ago when I knew I couldn’t put this off any longer my heart sank a bit, the amount of work seems very time consuming and it absolutely is, I’ve dug out my old ski suit I wore for 10 years on hi rise building sites, i was quite the man in this baby, feels great to be doing something positive and I’m as warm as toast thumbup



Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
TJC46 said:
This thread is nothing without pics.

We need lots of "before" and "after" pics please.

I really enjoyed doing my body lift.

There is something quite satisfying when it all starts to go back together. Any way, this thread had me searching through some old photos.

Here you go.... a before and after. 1st pic is right at the beginning of the strip down. 2nd pic is the really enjoyable bit when it all starts to go back.



Pictures,,, i’m on it biggrin

I’m still very undecided on chassis coating but I’ll stay stock and go for white whatever I do.

I’ve also decided I don’t care what you coat it with unless it’s a dry use only car some form of oil based protection will still be needed if it’s to be a daily runner, sod winter though, it really does destroy any good work you do.

I love cars in bits,, it’s a great hobby for sure. smile

Steve_D

12,848 posts

213 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Hi Alun
Did you say you have a 2 post?
If so then do all your prep work on that and when you are ready to lift get 4 axle stands (tall as possible) and 4 shortish lengths of 4x2.
Put the car in the air with wheels on.
Position the axle stands at the front edge of the footwells with the timber on top so that as much as possible of the footwell front edge is supported. Do the same at the back ie just behind the seats. Carefully lower the car making sure you are happy with the position of the stands. You will get to a point where the body is now on the axle stands. Lower further and the chassis will carry on down and the body will stay on the stands. When the chassis is down on its wheels you can swing the arms out from under the chassis, lift the ramp a little and swing the arms back under the door sills. You can now lift the body to the full height of the ramp.

We have the advantage of some very tall truck stands.

There will be lots of groaning as the body separates from the chassis and you may even need to use a tyre lever/breaker bar to encourage the front and rear of the chassis to start moving. You will also find the top rails of the chassis (below the manifolds) will also jam on the body and require some persuasion.Keep a close eye on all the cables etc in case something snags or you make the classic mistake of forgetting to disconnect the handbrake switch.

Spent today doing pretty much the same as you on a 500.
Give me a shout if you have questions. Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Enjoy
Steve

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November 2019
quotequote all
Steve_D said:
Hi Alun
Did you say you have a 2 post?
If so then do all your prep work on that and when you are ready to lift get 4 axle stands (tall as possible) and 4 shortish lengths of 4x2.
Put the car in the air with wheels on.
Position the axle stands at the front edge of the footwells with the timber on top so that as much as possible of the footwell front edge is supported. Do the same at the back ie just behind the seats. Carefully lower the car making sure you are happy with the position of the stands. You will get to a point where the body is now on the axle stands. Lower further and the chassis will carry on down and the body will stay on the stands. When the chassis is down on its wheels you can swing the arms out from under the chassis, lift the ramp a little and swing the arms back under the door sills. You can now lift the body to the full height of the ramp.

We have the advantage of some very tall truck stands.

There will be lots of groaning as the body separates from the chassis and you may even need to use a tyre lever/breaker bar to encourage the front and rear of the chassis to start moving. You will also find the top rails of the chassis (below the manifolds) will also jam on the body and require some persuasion.Keep a close eye on all the cables etc in case something snags or you make the classic mistake of forgetting to disconnect the handbrake switch.

Spent today doing pretty much the same as you on a 500.
Give me a shout if you have questions. Remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Enjoy
Steve
That’s bob on that is.
Yeah, I’ve been pondering this way or that.
I know we have two big stands, hopefully four.

My friend has built a few stockcars Mk1 Cortina’s and a lovely MGB race car so has plenty of gear, even a 4 wheeled trolley to drop body onto so I’m very lucky.

Thanks Steve all this advice is fuelling the motivation.

I’m on it big time now biglaugh


Steve_D

12,848 posts

213 months

Saturday 30th November 2019
quotequote all
Trolley to put the body on you say.



That then frees up the 2 post again so you can lift the chassis to a nice working height to strip it down.
Lift chassis then lower it down over an upturned milk crate or dustbin. Unbolt diff. lift chassis clear leaving diff on upturned whatever.

Steve

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Sunday 1st December 2019
quotequote all
Steve_D said:
Trolley to put the body on you say.



That then frees up the 2 post again so you can lift the chassis to a nice working height to strip it down.
Lift chassis then lower it down over an upturned milk crate or dustbin. Unbolt diff. lift chassis clear leaving diff on upturned whatever.

Steve
See I wouldn’t have thought of the crate idea. Thanks mate,,,,that beast sat next to it looks a beauty. thumbup

Steve_D

12,848 posts

213 months

Sunday 1st December 2019
quotequote all
Classic Chim said:
See I wouldn’t have thought of the crate idea. Thanks mate,,,,that beast sat next to it looks a beauty. thumbup
Ultima GTR

Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Sunday 1st December 2019
quotequote all
Steve_D said:
Ultima GTR
You work on some fine cars Steve. bow



Classic Chim

Original Poster:

10,196 posts

104 months

Sunday 1st December 2019
quotequote all
Cracking on.
Rad and fuel tank out.
Front/ rear chassis bolts removed
Seat belts released ( Bolts are rusty and useless) slitting disc to cut through bolts where they go into rigger, all done cleanly, mine are so rusty they have no strength left in them so sacrificial and saves hours of plus Gas etc. 80% of chassis bolts have had heads ground off and ready to knock through, only 4 corner ones and tunnel bolts to remove. Cracking on indeed. I love this stuff.

















Looking at rear of car o/s into boot, tank lent over to the left revealing a name smile

There’s a bit of detail here
1 notice left hand top chassis bolt which is an Allen key head and earth point

You can also just see bottom left chassis bolt half out. Luckily all these came loose with a bit of penetration oil.
Next to that chassis bolt is a humorous Tvr quirk,, the hole to take fuel pipe out to pump is about 2 inch dia No bungs left so some bugger has rolled up yellow masking take, filled around fuel hose then added a bit of mastic for good measure hehe






Most of pictures won’t upload, beats me!

Edited by Classic Chim on Sunday 1st December 18:04


Edited by Classic Chim on Sunday 1st December 18:06


Edited by Classic Chim on Sunday 1st December 18:20