Old Skodas more reliable than a ยฃ45K Jag??? YES!!!

Old Skodas more reliable than a ยฃ45K Jag??? YES!!!

Author
Discussion

JMGS4

Original Poster:

8,569 posts

240 months

Tuesday 24th December 2002
quotequote all
As you chaps know, I had an Audi S4 where Audi reneged on their guarantee, so I thought its time to buy a Jag, as a Brit in Germany to fly the flag. After now 7 months (to yesterday) this Jag is flying the flag allright! Just showing how BADLY a car can be manufactured.

Its been in the workshops now 11 times in 7 months!!!! The first unscheduled service had 17 points, no less, to be repaired. To date (only 13500km driven!) there are recurring problems with
electrics (even an original Alfa 164 wasn't as bad!)every electrical function that there is has not worked or doesn't work at some time or the other,
Gearbox (already replaced once),
Radio,
Hydraulics,
4cm water in boot drowning the electrics because they can't even weld a seam properly!!!!
Windscreen wiper motor replaced, broke at 500km!
Front bonnet fits only when 1cm higher than the wing!
you name it, its got it or had it!

Planned a Christmas with the family in St Moritz, thats gone down the tubes (costing me rather a large sum in cancellation feees!), as a hydraulic pipe just blew spewing oil all over the area.

Even rather hefty letters to a very complacent Jaguar Germany don't seem to work. And I'm now getting serious flak from the neighbours as they NEVER see me in my car, just in one of the various the replacements (every time a different model/colour etc) with the tone of "told you so" or "shouldn't have bought that english crap" etc.
The PERFECT ADVERT for British cars! NOT!

I must say my patience has been tried to the limit, and Jaguar have proven once again that they can't build a car of even Skoda standards!!!!
A dream to drive (when it runs) looks good (standing still) and a hefty extra drain on my pocket(which it shouldn't be)!!!! Extremely annoyed!

Any tips how I can get the guys in Browns Lane to actually get to grips with the problems, or even properly react? they seem totally complacent!

Next car is NOT going to be a Jag!

Oh by the way all you chaps have a great Christmas! Mine isn't but at least I've the family to drown my (motoring) sorrows with!

apache

39,730 posts

254 months

Tuesday 24th December 2002
quotequote all
jeeesus, that is bad, must be due for an 'unfit for use' claim if you have kept a record of all the problems. That sucks as I would like a second hand XJR once the new ally jobber comes out

cdp

7,050 posts

224 months

Thursday 22nd May 2003
quotequote all
We have found the XJ8 to be perfectly reliable. (Unlike various German and Japanese brands)

FourWheelDrift

82,961 posts

254 months

Thursday 22nd May 2003
quotequote all
S-Types, I don't know why, do have a reputation of not being screwed together properly, but it's seem like you bought a real Friday afternoon car.

JMGS4

Original Poster:

8,569 posts

240 months

Friday 23rd May 2003
quotequote all
Brand new 4.2 executive, as you said a monday morning trade unionist lazy barsteward car. It took 3 visits by ZF even to get the gearbox correctly fitted! and then they couldn't even fit a hydraulic pipe correctly, and after it leaked changed three others before they found the poorly fitted thus leaking one..... Total repairs under guarantee to date (1 year old now) 19 and those mostly for EXACTLY the same things which I reported the first time within 2 weeks of the car being delivered!!!
Have now a 2 page apology from jag and a present of a Jag paperweight, but I doubt if that will convince me to continue......

Bodo

11,330 posts

236 months

Friday 23rd May 2003
quotequote all
John, I'm working in the immediate neighbourhood of Jaguar / Aston Martin Deutschland GmbH. Should I drop a bomb when I knock off?

JMGS4

Original Poster:

8,569 posts

240 months

Friday 23rd May 2003
quotequote all

Bodo said: John, I'm working in the immediate neighbourhood of Jaguar / Aston Martin Deutschland GmbH. Should I drop a bomb when I knock off?

Meine Bombe ist bereits explodiert! Ich glaube da die inzwischen wissen wie pissed off ein Brite sein kann!!!!

SplatSpeed

7,490 posts

221 months

Friday 30th May 2003
quotequote all
i have got a S reg XJR from a dealer 2 years ago

worst mistake i have ever made

1 engine 1 throttole bodie

front discs before i even picked it up and numerious other faults

the traction contol has a mind of its own and dosnt working causing the wife to spin and crash at 20 mph

the steering wheel isn't straight

and they cant seem to fix it as it isnt that detectable

it costs me 1k a year to keep the warrenty going never want a jag again thought the newer ones r better

hungryjim

883 posts

235 months

Friday 11th July 2003
quotequote all
51 plate X-Type 2.5 sport, Brilliant car!

Other than a slight problem with the rear driveshaft which was fixed by the dealer the car has had no probles since. Touch wood

The car is built like a rock, the cabin is devoid of squeaks or rattles. Nothin feels loose or cheap. Every part of the car works as it shud and works well. Its now comin up for a year and a half old and its as good as the day it came!!!!

Sounds like u bought a bad one m8 , tell them 2 give u a new car!!!

TURRICAN

8 posts

219 months

Wednesday 23rd July 2003
quotequote all
Sounds familiar! I have a late 95 XJR straight six. Bought with 41k on the clock and full Jag SH, but didn't give me a warranty, just said "Bring it in if anything goes wrong..".

Nine months in to ownership the gearbox warning light came on. I didn't drive it for two weeks until they could look at it. It was also getting noisier which I initally though was the normal engine sound so I asked for a FULL service and requested that they test drive it.

A further six months on and the sound persists, they tell me it needs a new Diff and bit of Exhaust at 3,000!!! I asked for a copy of the last service sheet to find they did a 10,000 mile serivce only, and hadn't bothered to fill in a number of boxes, including the road test!!!

One other example of the garage capabilities was demonstrated when the interior lights/alarm stoped working. They quoted 250 for a new door latch. I applied a bit of WD40 and fixed the problem.

A complaint to Jag UK about the local dealer ammounts to them telling me to talk to my local dealer. I wonder if they claim to adhere to ISO standards? I did ask them but they didn't answer.

I'm going to chop it in for a TVR Cerbera - at least you know what to expect with a TVR.

Steven, Isle of Man.

pdavison

1,622 posts

247 months

Wednesday 23rd July 2003
quotequote all
My Dad's 1996 XJR has had numerous problems requiring various lengthy stints at the dealer.

Latest one is the gearbox appears not to be engaging and this has rendered the car undrivable (having covered 70k only). Having lost faith in the Jaguar dealership network, he's opted for a local specialist so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

It's looking like he's going to sell it anyway and go for a BMW. That's what happens when you are on your fourth Jag and they've all had problems relating to either build quality or poor mechanics.

kevinday

9,135 posts

250 months

Thursday 24th July 2003
quotequote all
Turrican and Pdavison, I am a bit surprised at your comments, you are talking about 7 and 8 year-old cars. I expect a few problems when a car is that age. Lower mileage also may indicate the car has not been used enough to be more reliable.

turrican

8 posts

219 months

Friday 25th July 2003
quotequote all
The concensus seems to be that big Jag saloons have been good for very high mileage which is why I felt safe buying one. Most people seem to think a big engined Jag should be good for over 150k miles.

My major gripe is really that I asked the Jag dealer to investigate a problem and do a full service, not the scheduled 10,000 mile one. The receptionist wrote this request down, but it didn't get done. Down the line I'm being told that the squeak I asked them to look at was the engine moving more than it should and some of the exhaust has been twisted.

Looking at these posts it seems that it's not just my local dealer that's inept. When paying 's extra to keep the Jag Service History I expect them, when asked about a squeak, to find minor things such as knackered engine mounts. (He said sarcastically!!)

pdavison

1,622 posts

247 months

Friday 25th July 2003
quotequote all
I think it's simple, if you buy a BMW, Saab, Merc or Audi then you would not get these problems at this age or this mileage (and yes our family have owned a number of these cars over the years). A Jag is not a hand built sportscar it is a massproduced executive car and therefore I would not expect (or my Dad for that matter) to have to put up with poor dealer service and even poorer build quality.

silverback mike

11,125 posts

223 months

Tuesday 29th July 2003
quotequote all
Hmm,
I was thinking of getting one...
Not sure I could stomach 3000 bills though.

pdavison

1,622 posts

247 months

Tuesday 29th July 2003
quotequote all
Silverback mike,

Don't get me wrong - these really are great cars, but in the same way as you should go into TVR ownership with your eyes open, you should go into (older) XJR ownership with your eyes open.

On the plus side - they've got so much more character than the 'reliable' cars I've mentioned !

Jon Gwynne

96 posts

220 months

Tuesday 12th August 2003
quotequote all
pdavison said:
My Dad's 1996 XJR has had numerous problems requiring various lengthy stints at the dealer.

Latest one is the gearbox appears not to be engaging and this has rendered the car undrivable (having covered 70k only). Having lost faith in the Jaguar dealership network, he's opted for a local specialist so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

It's looking like he's going to sell it anyway and go for a BMW. That's what happens when you are on your fourth Jag and they've all had problems relating to either build quality or poor mechanics.


I have a 95 M reg XJR and have found it to be bullet-proof.

I guess it really is down to the car. But even Rolls Royce can make lemons (as anyone who knows the famous "Jackie Wilson" story can tell you).

re: the failure of the gearbox to engage. Sounds like low transmission fluid levels. I had the same problem with my XJR (and a Mercedes 450SL I used to drive). Check the fluid level and I think you'll find it to be low. My XJR has a slight leak which isn't yet bad enough for me to worry about fixing, I just top up the fluid every couple of months and things are fine. Though it took me by surprise the first time the car dropped out of gear at a stoplight. Oh yeah, if you replace the fluid yourself, be ABSOLUTELY sure you use the right kind. Put the wrong stuff in and you can do expensive damage to the whole system.

In the UK people are apparently far more used to manual transmissions and it surprised me the number of people with auto boxes who don't seem to realize that the things work by hydraulics and if the fluid level is low they won't work right.

My experience with Jaguar dealers in the UK came as a rude surprise. Their quality of service seems to vary widely. I've been to places who would have trouble earning a 2-star rating from me and I've been places that would easily get all 5. Of course they all charge the same prices so you have to shop carefully. Don't assume that just because they handle Jaguars they will give service worthy of the marque.

Get the right XJR and you won't want to drive anything else.

Jon Gwynne

96 posts

220 months

Tuesday 12th August 2003
quotequote all
pdavison said:
I think it's simple, if you buy a BMW, Saab, Merc or Audi then you would not get these problems at this age or this mileage (and yes our family have owned a number of these cars over the years). A Jag is not a hand built sportscar it is a massproduced executive car and therefore I would not expect (or my Dad for that matter) to have to put up with poor dealer service and even poorer build quality.


You're kidding, right? Every one of the cars you mention can suffer from the problems talking about here. I know more than a few people who have gotten lemons from BMW and Mercedes.

Bottom line: Every car company in existence has the capability of producing a sub-standard car. The second-generation Honda S2000 I bought recently had to be brought back to the dealer to fix a problem with the top-end of the engine which caused inadequate oil delivery at high revs and, if left unfixed, could have forced a rebuild. The BMW M-series has had their fair share of recalls and engines going "pop" and they're supposed to be the pinnacle of BMW's art.

There's no such thing as an "idiot-proof" car - particularly when you start pulling 200+bhp from an engine.

pdavison

1,622 posts

247 months

Wednesday 13th August 2003
quotequote all
Jon Gwynne said:

pdavison said:
My Dad's 1996 XJR has had numerous problems requiring various lengthy stints at the dealer.

Latest one is the gearbox appears not to be engaging and this has rendered the car undrivable (having covered 70k only). Having lost faith in the Jaguar dealership network, he's opted for a local specialist so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

It's looking like he's going to sell it anyway and go for a BMW. That's what happens when you are on your fourth Jag and they've all had problems relating to either build quality or poor mechanics.



I have a 95 M reg XJR and have found it to be bullet-proof.

I guess it really is down to the car. But even Rolls Royce can make lemons (as anyone who knows the famous "Jackie Wilson" story can tell you).

re: the failure of the gearbox to engage. Sounds like low transmission fluid levels. I had the same problem with my XJR (and a Mercedes 450SL I used to drive). Check the fluid level and I think you'll find it to be low. My XJR has a slight leak which isn't yet bad enough for me to worry about fixing, I just top up the fluid every couple of months and things are fine. Though it took me by surprise the first time the car dropped out of gear at a stoplight. Oh yeah, if you replace the fluid yourself, be ABSOLUTELY sure you use the right kind. Put the wrong stuff in and you can do expensive damage to the whole system.

In the UK people are apparently far more used to manual transmissions and it surprised me the number of people with auto boxes who don't seem to realize that the things work by hydraulics and if the fluid level is low they won't work right.

My experience with Jaguar dealers in the UK came as a rude surprise. Their quality of service seems to vary widely. I've been to places who would have trouble earning a 2-star rating from me and I've been places that would easily get all 5. Of course they all charge the same prices so you have to shop carefully. Don't assume that just because they handle Jaguars they will give service worthy of the marque.

Get the right XJR and you won't want to drive anything else.


Unfortunately the saga continues. It looks like the wiring loom maybe at fault and Jaguar can't get a replacement for 4 months!

This means that it is likely the car will have to left at the nearest Jag dealer to where my parents are now (on holiday in the UK) and they will have to come home without it. This is not good service in my book!

You're right about it being one of the most amazing cars on the road, but my Dad will now be buying a German car because he can't rely on the Jag (sad but true).

schueymcfee

1,568 posts

235 months

Wednesday 13th August 2003
quotequote all
Mine is bloody amazing! It's the only car I've had that touched 150mph within 500 metres (slightly downhill)with just so much ease and grace. It's the first car thats made me swear out loud for about 5 mins!

Not had one problem and its on 89k now and the interior is perfect and you can still smell that leather. 97 XJR v8.