2019 A Class - Cracking Lease deals or otherwise

2019 A Class - Cracking Lease deals or otherwise

Author
Discussion

raspy

258 posts

42 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
page3 said:
My A180 AMG-Line lease arrived beginning March.

Re. servicing - I was quoted £350, £475, £350 (all these including loan car of £50) so ended up just getting the 3 year service plan. Don't save much but just simpler. Considered juggling for two services but doesn't quite work for me on my mileage.

Edited by page3 on Tuesday 23 April 16:16
Loan car cost of £50 can be reduced to £0 if you ask your service advisor. Same with servicing costs, the dealer will usually cut the price to match MB dealers who are quoting lower prices.

figtree

95 posts

43 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
With these 12 month deals we've got it'll only be about 6 months till we have to start looking again laugh

Wonder if there'll be an extension option???

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
figtree said:
With these 12 month deals we've got it'll only be about 6 months till we have to start looking again laugh

Wonder if there'll be an extension option???
Do we ever stop looking?!?! I’m now firmly on the hunt for something for the wife when her Tucson goes back in February.

All being well I’ll be getting a Model 3 as my next one! Actually buying it! Crazy times!!

figtree

95 posts

43 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
Noel1983 said:
figtree said:
With these 12 month deals we've got it'll only be about 6 months till we have to start looking again laugh

Wonder if there'll be an extension option???
Do we ever stop looking?!?! I’m now firmly on the hunt for something for the wife when her Tucson goes back in February.

All being well I’ll be getting a Model 3 as my next one! Actually buying it! Crazy times!!
Wow, big bucks aren't they?

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
figtree said:
Wow, big bucks aren't they?
Depends what price they release them at, currently in Europe the premium long range models are around £50k. However because it's an electric no emissions vehicle buying through my company (I'm an IT contractor) saves me 19% corporation tax so that wipes a big chunk off it straight away.

Then the depreciation should be very very strong on them and the fuel savings and the man maths and even the real maths adds up really well! smile

figtree

95 posts

43 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
Noel1983 said:
Depends what price they release them at, currently in Europe the premium long range models are around £50k. However because it's an electric no emissions vehicle buying through my company (I'm an IT contractor) saves me 19% corporation tax so that wipes a big chunk off it straight away.

Then the depreciation should be very very strong on them and the fuel savings and the man maths and even the real maths adds up really well! smile
Can't beat man maths! My boss has a Model X, it's a bit nice cool

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Thursday 25th April
quotequote all
figtree said:
Can't beat man maths! My boss has a Model X, it's a bit nice cool
Now THAT is a big chunk of change!!

Way I'm thinking is that 2x7 inch screens in our A classes, well that adds up to 14 inches so that's some way on the way to the big tesla screen lol


Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all


Just arrived on a transporter, 20 miles on the clock. Initial impression is very good. Have to work now so a few hours before I can play properly.
Chuffed!

longblackcoat

4,121 posts

131 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
figtree said:
Noel1983 said:
Depends what price they release them at, currently in Europe the premium long range models are around £50k. However because it's an electric no emissions vehicle buying through my company (I'm an IT contractor) saves me 19% corporation tax so that wipes a big chunk off it straight away.

Then the depreciation should be very very strong on them and the fuel savings and the man maths and even the real maths adds up really well! smile
Can't beat man maths! My boss has a Model X, it's a bit nice cool
Our CEO has an X, and I've driven it a fair few times. Other than the powertrain (which is deeply impressive) the rest of the car leaves me cold. I hate the touchscreen controls - unintuitive and takes longer than needed to make some reasonably basic adjustments - and find the cabin really austere.

Then there's the actual quality. It feels shockingly cheap inside, which for a £100k+ car is utterly unacceptable - I'd go so far as to say it it feels no nicer than the Hyundai Ioniq I was driving earlier this week. It's been reasonably unreliable, too; the CEO's needed a new drive motor which I'd imagine is far from cheap, plus a fair number of other items. Yes, it's warrantied, yes a courtesy car is provided each time, but it would be suicidally expensive to run one out of warranty as you absolutely have to go back to Tesla.

Ignoring the gimmicks of the Falcon Doors and the first-adopter coolness, and putting aside the genuinely brilliant drivetrain, it's a rubbish £100k car. The steering's horrible, the brakes are worse, and it's just not what I'd call luxurious. The forthcoming Mercedes EQC will, I suspect, completely slaughter it.

NSS89

446 posts

37 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
Noel1983 said:


Just arrived on a transporter, 20 miles on the clock. Initial impression is very good. Have to work now so a few hours before I can play properly.
Chuffed!
Very nice! First Mountain Grey one I've seen posted. I wanted that colour but had to settle for White lol

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
longblackcoat said:
Our CEO has an X, and I've driven it a fair few times. Other than the powertrain (which is deeply impressive) the rest of the car leaves me cold. I hate the touchscreen controls - unintuitive and takes longer than needed to make some reasonably basic adjustments - and find the cabin really austere.

Then there's the actual quality. It feels shockingly cheap inside, which for a £100k+ car is utterly unacceptable - I'd go so far as to say it it feels no nicer than the Hyundai Ioniq I was driving earlier this week. It's been reasonably unreliable, too; the CEO's needed a new drive motor which I'd imagine is far from cheap, plus a fair number of other items. Yes, it's warrantied, yes a courtesy car is provided each time, but it would be suicidally expensive to run one out of warranty as you absolutely have to go back to Tesla.

Ignoring the gimmicks of the Falcon Doors and the first-adopter coolness, and putting aside the genuinely brilliant drivetrain, it's a rubbish £100k car. The steering's horrible, the brakes are worse, and it's just not what I'd call luxurious. The forthcoming Mercedes EQC will, I suspect, completely slaughter it.
Interesting, I've not driven an X but i've driven and been in a bunch of Model S' and have been impressed with the quality.

The Model 3 I sat in in the states last Summer was good too. Like you say it needs to impress for £100k.

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
Couple of updates

Impressed at it having more than half a tank of fuel at delivery. Damn sure won’t have that when I give it back smile

Just in the process of activating Mercedes me connect....three calls to mercedes later here’s the steps

Pair phone via Bluetooth
Register in the Mercedes me app
Use a computer to go to mercedes.me and login and accept all terms and conditions

Sit in the car
Press the me phone button in the ceiling,
Accept the prompt on the screen to transfer vehicle data

It will connect the call to the me call centre.

They’ll activate stuff for you

Then depending how far you got on the computer earlier on go back to a completed (Mercedes have just told me it MUST be windows) they don’t support Mac (wtf?!) and go to mercedes.me
Login, click to activate all the services then through to verify your identity and click start video chat

Give up because it still didn’t work...!!!

I’ll try again in the morning! Looks promising though the list of services it can do is pretty big! Not sure if it needs a SIM card in the car or not, more instruction book reading required

junglieD

150 posts

102 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
What you've described is the same process I went through (phone pairing, online account registration etc) but the final step required me going to a local main dealer to have one of their 'Genius-bar' dudes complete the ID verification (which, as you say, should be possible via skype/video-call).

When it does eventually activate I wouldn't get your hopes up too much about the free functions on MercedesMe as the app really doesn't give you anything decent after registration. Registration does, however, give you a lot more functionality with "hey mercedes" and live-traffic (which is good to be fair). The extra "hey mercedes" functionality is ok but really only what you would've expected as standard (and will be frustrated that it doesn't if you don't bother to follow the proper registration and set-up); things like remembering home and work addresses, listening to post code verbal inputs, making verbal climate control changes, telling awful german jokes (spoiler - it cycles between 2) and giving the weather forecast. All this is great functionality but I found it kind of bizarre that it doesn't do this as standard at delivery. BTW - it has a built in sim card with free data for 3-years which piggy backs all networks except vodafone (so good coverage).

You can make the app more useful by paying a fixed fee for 1 or 2-years. Unless you have an upgraded spec car I think it only really gives you location, next service and fuel level. The Gucci stuff like unlocking and pre-warming is all non-standard spec.

Overall though, I find the A180d to be a fantastic little car. I'm 4,000 miles and 4-months in to a 2-year lease now and have averaged 65mpg (and I sit in f*cking traffic for 30 mins every morning on the way to work) and will otherwise very easily get 74mpg on the return leg. It is surprisingly fun to drive for a little diesel engine - decent gearbox (except for being very laggy in eco mode when pulling away), agile ride and assured steering (except for the aggressive lane keeping alert). Mine is only the Sport so I don't have the kit that lowers it slightly.

For those of you on a 12-month lease (very jealous of that deal you secured) - why would you bother having it serviced? surely handing it back 2-weeks early is much more logical? Or if you do service it then you'll be wanting to extend for 6-9 months surely? Otherwise enjoy the car - I'm seeing lots more on the road now and I'm not surprised, they're very good.

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
junglieD said:
For those of you on a 12-month lease (very jealous of that deal you secured) - why would you bother having it serviced? surely handing it back 2-weeks early is much more logical? Or if you do service it then you'll be wanting to extend for 6-9 months surely? Otherwise enjoy the car - I'm seeing lots more on the road now and I'm not surprised, they're very good.
Cheers for the info, agree you’re right the end result won’t be riveting especially once I see the price of the ‘apps’ etc but need to sort it lol

Re early hand back my understanding is it isn’t reduced cost for early handback.

Also all the current deals are for pre reg cars registered in March so would be handing back six weeks early. Guess it’s all down to when they were prepped and activated. I’ll check when I pop into the dealers!

Dan123collins

86 posts

29 months

Friday 26th April
quotequote all
I FTK and had my order confirmed on a A250 AMG line premium with Perth Mercedes today, I want it for October when my lease Cupra is due back so not fussed about a speedy delivery.

I had a long think about the Apple car play option - costs £500 and I would only have bought it for using google maps in the car ( not bothered by Spotify or texts etc ). but the MBUX sat Nav looks like one of the best built in systems and had live traffic apparently, anyone care to comment on the built in sat nav ? Have I messed up and should have stumped up the extra ?

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Saturday 27th April
quotequote all
Dan123collins said:
I FTK and had my order confirmed on a A250 AMG line premium with Perth Mercedes today, I want it for October when my lease Cupra is due back so not fussed about a speedy delivery.

I had a long think about the Apple car play option - costs £500 and I would only have bought it for using google maps in the car ( not bothered by Spotify or texts etc ). but the MBUX sat Nav looks like one of the best built in systems and had live traffic apparently, anyone care to comment on the built in sat nav ? Have I messed up and should have stumped up the extra ?
Car play can be enabled for £267 at the dealer post delivery so if you want it definitely better than £500!

I’ll report back on nav, my hesitation is whether to trust it vs Waze and google maps that have saved me spending hours In traffic on a number of occasions so will probably keep them on as backups for long journeys

Dan123collins

86 posts

29 months

Saturday 27th April
quotequote all
Noel1983 said:
Car play can be enabled for £267 at the dealer post delivery so if you want it definitely better than £500!

I’ll report back on nav, my hesitation is whether to trust it vs Waze and google maps that have saved me spending hours In traffic on a number of occasions so will probably keep them on as backups for long journeys
Ah great to hear I can have it upgraded at the dealer ( I’m not fussed about the wireless charger / phone NFC car key part of the “ phone intervention” pack at £500 )

The reasons you mention is exactly why I like using google maps so much, myself and my misses go for frequent walks in the middle of no where and I don’t know if the MBUX is gonna find particular beauty spots / reservoirs as-well as google does.

Certainly worth giving MBUX satnav a shot to save cash though 😀

page3

3,694 posts

199 months

Saturday 27th April
quotequote all
For all it’s ‘coolness’ I think the mbux navigation is fairly average at best. Far too cluttered and minimal options.

CarPlay can be added via a software purchase/download you do yourself. No need to visit a dealer. Far prefer Apple maps to mbux, especially for the “eta” mode and clarity of the ui.

I do also use Spotify and audible so CarPlay worth it for me, even on a three year lease.

Hardly ever use the mbux stuff now.

page3

3,694 posts

199 months

Saturday 27th April
quotequote all
Just one point on mbux navigation, it supports What Three Words so can navigate to anywhere accurately.

Noel1983

Original Poster:

248 posts

59 months

Saturday 27th April
quotequote all
In the dealer now as couldn’t get the identify check bit to work

On the upside the cake and drink selection is reasonable! smile