Abarth 595 Competizione as a daily?

Abarth 595 Competizione as a daily?

Author
Discussion

Benzinaio

96 posts

3 months

Wednesday 28th February
quotequote all
The green one replaced the grey one so weren't owned at the same time.
Had an Alfa Spider S4 as a summer car along side it until a couple of weeks ago. A truly sad day, but it's gone to a good home.

pidsy

8,032 posts

158 months

Friday 22nd March
quotequote all
Insurance renewal through - up £40 on last year so just tipped over £400.

I’d read some people saying Abarth renewals were getting silly.

Anyone suffered?

Benzinaio

96 posts

3 months

Saturday 23rd March
quotequote all
Yep I was with LV and it went from £366 to £634!
Shopped around and QMH were under £350.

Squadrone Rosso

2,766 posts

148 months

Saturday 23rd March
quotequote all
Ours will be doing a 2000 + mile road trip in May. Wales, England, France, Switzerland, Italy, France then back home again.

Picked out some cracking roads too.

Ace-T

7,718 posts

256 months

Sunday 24th March
quotequote all
Benzinaio said:
Yep I was with LV and it went from £366 to £634!
Shopped around and QMH were under £350.
With Admiral, went from £730 to £1100. I do have business use, so will be a bit more, however that was just taking the pee.

Axa at £560 after shop around.


pidsy

8,032 posts

158 months

Sunday 24th March
quotequote all
Ace-T said:
Benzinaio said:
Yep I was with LV and it went from £366 to £634!
Shopped around and QMH were under £350.
With Admiral, went from £730 to £1100. I do have business use, so will be a bit more, however that was just taking the pee.

Axa at £560 after shop around.
I’ve been with AXA for a few years. I couldn’t find anyone else close.

the-norseman

12,547 posts

172 months

Thursday 28th March
quotequote all
Seriously considering getting an Abarth as replacement small car

Did the 595 come in 160 and 180? I'm looking at older cars around the £6-7k mark what would you say is the sweet spot model? ideally want to get it close to 200 horses.

Benzinaio

96 posts

3 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
All pre-facelift models had the tiny IHI turbo. Series 4 cars had IHI in 145bhp trim and Garrett turbo in 165 and 180bhp guise.
Garrett turbo makes them a totally different car, that is to say laggy and boosty and very old school.
IHI cars have minimal lag but not the shove.
Have owned both and was always underwhelmed with the feel of my 145 series 4 (IHI)
The old 135bhp cars feel quicker and sound better than the 145bhp series 4 cars due to being pre Euro 6.
Go and drive one and make your own mind up, they're all mega reliable.
N.B. Just seen you want 200bhp. IHI cars will remap easily to 170 with 190 being considered the limit with supporting mods.
135 145 160 bhp models are IHI
165 180 models are Garrett. Bear in mind a remapped IHI running 170bhp will feel far slower than a standard Turismo (Garrett) with 165bhp.

Edited by Benzinaio on Friday 29th March 15:30


Edited by Benzinaio on Friday 29th March 15:31


Edited by Benzinaio on Friday 29th March 15:33


Edited by Benzinaio on Friday 29th March 15:33

pidsy

8,032 posts

158 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
the-norseman said:
Seriously considering getting an Abarth as replacement small car

Did the 595 come in 160 and 180? I'm looking at older cars around the £6-7k mark what would you say is the sweet spot model? ideally want to get it close to 200 horses.
200 is easy.
With a Garrett turbo car - my comp had 190 from stock. Currently running 220 with a map and decent intake.

croyde

23,072 posts

231 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
Out of interest what do you tell your insurance company when you've remapped your Abarth to 200+, or do you laugh

Asking for a friend.

I'm happy enough with my 180bhp Competizione, maybe I'm getting old smile

pidsy

8,032 posts

158 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
Ins are fine. I’m older so doesn’t make any huge difference.
It’s worth fitting a Forge intake for the noise alone.

ecsrobin

17,224 posts

166 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
Benzinaio said:
All pre-facelift models had the tiny IHI turbo. Series 4 cars had IHI in 145bhp trim and Garrett turbo in 165 and 180bhp guise.
That’s incorrect. The Series 3 Competizione from 2014 got the Garrett turbo.

the-norseman

12,547 posts

172 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
Is there a decent link to what all the specs came with and didn't I keep seeing Competizione and thinking yeh thats what I want, then see Turismo etc.

So a garrett car is the one to go for, for tuning? is there a year they came in?

for example this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116096354081?itmmeta=01...

Is this missing anything spec wise? its the cheapest red one on ebay.


Edited by the-norseman on Friday 29th March 18:24

Benzinaio

96 posts

3 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
TBF that looks like a good way to spend 7k.

ecsrobin

17,224 posts

166 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
the-norseman said:
Is there a decent link to what all the specs came with and didn't I keep seeing Competizione and thinking yeh thats what I want, then see Turismo etc.

So a garrett car is the one to go for, for tuning? is there a year they came in?

for example this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/116096354081?itmmeta=01...

Is this missing anything spec wise? its the cheapest red one on ebay.


Edited by the-norseman on Friday 29th March 18:24
Personally instead of modifying id be spending the extra cash to get a series 4.

However the one you’ve posted is the Garrett model 180bhp they did come with floating discs on the front which are about £1500 to replace or you swap them for the standard discs.

croyde

23,072 posts

231 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
I did find that even the dealers didn't know what exactly were added to various Abarths.

I have a 2024 695 Comp which mysteriously doesn't have the steel pedals. I've contacted Abarth and they tell me that they were discontinued from MY22.

Odd thing to delete on what is supposed to be the sportiest model.

To be honest it seems to be the same as the 2024 Turismo 695. Both have yellow big Brembos, 180bhp engine with the Garrett Turbo.

Just the seats are different.

Is there anywhere that I can input my VIN and see exactly what I have. Maybe a mechanical LSD perhaps smile


the-norseman

12,547 posts

172 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
Personally instead of modifying id be spending the extra cash to get a series 4.

However the one you’ve posted is the Garrett model 180bhp they did come with floating discs on the front which are about £1500 to replace or you swap them for the standard discs.
Had that pain with my old Cupra, I fitted a Frankenstein's monster brake kit to it, Ferrair F50 calipers, Focus WRC discs and 911 pads was an amazing set up until... I needed new discs, the part numbers were motorsport only and about £1500 each. Had to get some new ones made up.


Just seen that link I posted was a Cat N.

Drooles

1,373 posts

57 months

Friday 29th March
quotequote all
I’ve posted on here a few times and I think an Abarth 595 is a great daily. I’m onto my second and I use for a 40 mile commute (20 each way) every day.

Both of mine have been Competiziones and both have developed horrendously squeaky brakes. My first, the pads had started to fall apart (less than 14k when I swapped) and my current has started to squeak at around 18k. Apart from that, great cars. Always put a smile on my face.

ecsrobin

17,224 posts

166 months

Saturday 30th March
quotequote all
Drooles said:
I’ve posted on here a few times and I think an Abarth 595 is a great daily. I’m onto my second and I use for a 40 mile commute (20 each way) every day.

Both of mine have been Competiziones and both have developed horrendously squeaky brakes. My first, the pads had started to fall apart (less than 14k when I swapped) and my current has started to squeak at around 18k. Apart from that, great cars. Always put a smile on my face.
The rear calipers around 50% worn don’t return properly, throw new pads on and fine.

the-norseman

12,547 posts

172 months

Sunday 31st March
quotequote all
Whats the deal with the Competizione's

Seen cars that are 2015 and are 160PS, some are 180PS is there a way to tell other than putting the reg in Parkers?

Wondering if I settle for another colour than red as red seems to be a premium.