PistonHeads.com Forum

Stupid things non petrolheads say....

Stupid things non petrolheads say....

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

matthias73

2,445 posts

66 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Just to clarify, those things used to be the brake discs, right? :|

EDLT

14,871 posts

122 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Has she completely worn through the rear disc?!

I've actually seen something similar on a Transit minibus. The brakes were sticking so they carried on driving it until it needed an MOT. The inside of the disc was worn down to less than 1mm thick and the metal on what used to be the brake pad was so thin it was a few more stops from falling out of the calliper.

Mike 820

535 posts

103 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Found something similar online recently:





How are these people allowed licenses?

Edited by Mike 820 on Friday 5th October 16:01

Vocal Minority

7,067 posts

68 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Benbay001 said:
Vocal Minority said:
Benbay001 said:
Was washing my new (to me) car today.
I got my first "i bet that drinks alot" comment from a neighbour.
Instantly thought of this thread.
Well everything is relative. If it is the S Type R, it probably does drink a fair bit. The fact it doesn't bother you is by the by surely?
The comment didnt worry me, it was more the fact the conversation went "hello, i bet that drinks alot" as opposed to "hello, i like your new car, are you please with it?" or "is it petrol of diesel?"
Ah fair enough there.

Is a bit rude actually isn't it?

GadgeS3C

3,861 posts

80 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
sparkyhx said:
Woman owner of a 2008 Skoda - never been serviced or apparently MOT'd - came to garage cos her "brakes are crap"


yikes In only 4 years! How many miles had it done?
Advertisement

Andy_sx

2,399 posts

122 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
sparkyhx said:
Woman owner of a 2008 Skoda - never been serviced or apparently MOT'd - came to garage cos her "brakes are crap"


bloody hell fire... that is beyond worrying!

Hasbeen

1,924 posts

137 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Loaned my 21 year old daughter a convertible for a day at the beach. She & her girl friend apparently spent the day posing around the Gold Coast, in the car, rather than actually on the beach.

When they got home, the girl friend was bright pink. When asked why she had not put her sunscreen on she said, "we weren't actually on the beach, & I didn't think you'd get burnt driving in the car".

Not much petrol in her head, & not much else either it would seem.


LiamB

7,298 posts

59 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Hasbeen said:
She & her girl friend
Pictures.

sparkyhx

2,958 posts

120 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
GadgeS3C said:
sparkyhx said:
Woman owner of a 2008 Skoda - never been serviced or apparently MOT'd - came to garage cos her "brakes are crap"


yikes In only 4 years! How many miles had it done?
(nearly 5 years, but that's by the by) don't know how many miles, apparently the owner also thought it was 5 years to get the first MOT - nobody could work out how she'd managed to drive nearly 2 years without an MOT either.

p.s. apparently they were front discs, rears were drums

LukeSi

5,405 posts

77 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
sparkyhx said:
GadgeS3C said:
sparkyhx said:
Woman owner of a 2008 Skoda - never been serviced or apparently MOT'd - came to garage cos her "brakes are crap"


yikes In only 4 years! How many miles had it done?
(nearly 5 years, but that's by the by) don't know how many miles, apparently the owner also thought it was 5 years to get the first MOT - nobody could work out how she'd managed to drive nearly 2 years without an MOT either.

p.s. apparently they were front discs, rears were drums
I hope she was reported to the police. Does not deserve a licence.

theironduke

6,995 posts

104 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
sparkyhx said:
GadgeS3C said:
sparkyhx said:
Woman owner of a 2008 Skoda - never been serviced or apparently MOT'd - came to garage cos her "brakes are crap"


yikes In only 4 years! How many miles had it done?
(nearly 5 years, but that's by the by) don't know how many miles, apparently the owner also thought it was 5 years to get the first MOT - nobody could work out how she'd managed to drive nearly 2 years without an MOT either.

p.s. apparently they were front discs, rears were drums
Mental. The noise must have been horrendous and surely it would have felt a little...weird....to say the least!

aka_kerrly

9,527 posts

126 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
Did anyone else listen to Radio 1 news yesterday when they were discussing the proposals from the ABI that there should be a minimum one year spent learning to drive and that new drivers wouldn't be allowed to drive on their own or late at night??

Some of the quotes from people being interviewed were shocking and quite concerning, one inparticular from a girl who had apparently been driving for FOUR years who said she thought having a year of learning was a good idea because she still struggles to remember where the indicators are and how to change gear!!!!!

vincegail

1,807 posts

71 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
aka_kerrly said:
Did anyone else listen to Radio 1 news yesterday when they were discussing the proposals from the ABI that there should be a minimum one year spent learning to drive and that new drivers wouldn't be allowed to drive on their own or late at night??

Some of the quotes from people being interviewed were shocking and quite concerning, one inparticular from a girl who had apparently been driving for FOUR years who said she thought having a year of learning was a good idea because she still struggles to remember where the indicators are and how to change gear!!!!!
The examples given by this excuse for a driver should be done/found with your eyes closed (figure of speach of course) and without having to think about it.
This girl should be tracked down and receive a permanent driving ban. No excuses.

And yes, I frequently say such things at PH, but all people concerned deserve it fully.

Triumph Man

4,293 posts

84 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
vincegail said:
aka_kerrly said:
Did anyone else listen to Radio 1 news yesterday when they were discussing the proposals from the ABI that there should be a minimum one year spent learning to drive and that new drivers wouldn't be allowed to drive on their own or late at night??

Some of the quotes from people being interviewed were shocking and quite concerning, one inparticular from a girl who had apparently been driving for FOUR years who said she thought having a year of learning was a good idea because she still struggles to remember where the indicators are and how to change gear!!!!!
The examples given by this excuse for a driver should be done/found with your eyes closed (figure of speach of course) and without having to think about it.
This girl should be tracked down and receive a permanent driving ban. No excuses.

And yes, I frequently say such things at PH, but all people concerned deserve it fully.
And we have to share the road with these people... and crazy Skoda lady. Makes me think I ought to slow down, if one of these is coming the other way.

MartG

9,064 posts

120 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
aka_kerrly said:
Did anyone else listen to Radio 1 news yesterday when they were discussing the proposals from the ABI that there should be a minimum one year spent learning to drive and that new drivers wouldn't be allowed to drive on their own or late at night??
Errr - isn't that the point of passing your test - so you can drive without having to take someone with you, and not have to rely on public transport or lifts if you need to travel late at night/early morning ( when buses etc. tend not to run ).

aka_kerrly said:
Some of the quotes from people being interviewed were shocking and quite concerning, one inparticular from a girl who had apparently been driving for FOUR years who said she thought having a year of learning was a good idea because she still struggles to remember where the indicators are and how to change gear!!!!!
So because some dippy incompetent who should never have passed her test has problems with basic driving skills, people who are actually competent to drive ( and do so safely ) should be penalised ?

Absolute idiocy, dragging everyone down to the lowest ( and stupidest ) denominator

trixyD

215 posts

55 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
MartG said:
So because some dippy incompetent who should never have passed her test has problems with basic driving skills, people who are actually competent to drive ( and do so safely ) should be penalised ?

Absolute idiocy, dragging everyone down to the lowest ( and stupidest ) denominator
Aye, sounds about right. Sadly this is the way things are going. rolleyes

aka_kerrly

9,527 posts

126 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
MartG said:
aka_kerrly said:
Did anyone else listen to Radio 1 news yesterday when they were discussing the proposals from the ABI that there should be a minimum one year spent learning to drive and that new drivers wouldn't be allowed to drive on their own or late at night??
Errr - isn't that the point of passing your test - so you can drive without having to take someone with you, and not have to rely on public transport or lifts if you need to travel late at night/early morning ( when buses etc. tend not to run ).

aka_kerrly said:
Some of the quotes from people being interviewed were shocking and quite concerning, one inparticular from a girl who had apparently been driving for FOUR years who said she thought having a year of learning was a good idea because she still struggles to remember where the indicators are and how to change gear!!!!!
So because some dippy incompetent who should never have passed her test has problems with basic driving skills, people who are actually competent to drive ( and do so safely ) should be penalised ?

Absolute idiocy, dragging everyone down to the lowest ( and stupidest ) denominator
I completely agree, the whole point of a test should be to demonstrate that you can drive.

That said my instructor told me that his job was to teach me to pass the test and that learning is something that should be done throughout your driving career.

Another thing about these proposed plans is that these additional rules applied after passing a your test only seem to be for 17-24, so does anyone know of any statistic for people who crash in their first couple of years after passing aged over 24 ??

MGJohn

10,203 posts

99 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
sparkyhx said:
Woman owner of a 2008 Skoda - never been serviced or apparently MOT'd - came to garage cos her "brakes are crap"


Plenty of life left in them brakes.... init ... wink

Skodas, like Hondas do not need servicing. Common knowledge ... rofl


Worth repeating ~ there are far more unreliable car users than there are unreliable cars.

Clivey

4,495 posts

120 months

Friday 5th October 2012
quotequote all
MGJohn said:
Worth repeating ~ there are far more unreliable car users than there are unreliable cars.
Now, that is a great quote...like it! thumbup

Patrick Bateman

8,713 posts

90 months

Saturday 6th October 2012
quotequote all
Am I seeing that one on the left correctly?!
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED