Boxster 986 CDR23 head unit upgrade- what options do I have?

Boxster 986 CDR23 head unit upgrade- what options do I have?

Author
Discussion

BoxC4

Original Poster:

9 posts

113 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
I've got a 2004 986 Boxster with the Becker CDR23 head unit and the CD multi-changer, and I think it's the fibre-optic connected system (MOST?) which I want to upgrade.

I'd be grateful to find out what my options are, I've read quite a lot about this on various forums but am still confused!

I understand one option is to get an iPod adaptor but I'd rather change the whole head unit to an ISO connected modern one, using an adaptor if one exists.

Pictures below show the type of head unit and my actual connectors. Note the very odd radio aerial connection - I don't know if there is an adaptor for this either.

Thanks in advance.

Phil








edc

7,526 posts

199 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
Can't answer your question myself but have you looked on boxa.net?

EVOeng

928 posts

118 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
You are correct in thinking you have a Fibre Optic wiring system.
Do you have a Bose system? You can buy a Wiring Harness at almost any Audio store, allowing you to connect an aftermarket head unit.
Would you like Navigation? iPod? CD Change? TV?
You may also want to consider a move to a Double Din system if you already have the lower centre console fitted in your car (which, by looking at your images, you do).

This is one option:



Edited by EVOeng on Sunday 1st July 16:23

mankey

653 posts

151 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
You have a number of different options but it entirely depends on how much money you want to spend.

EVOEng asks a highly relevant question. If you have Bose, you're in to an entirely different game because you could well end up fitting a new amp and speakers if you decided you wanted to switch to a different head unit. If you don't have Bose on the other hand then you can remove your CDR23, close off the loop on the fibre connection and fit something else. As he says, you can buy a wiring kit that can help you enormously.

About 3 or 4 years ago I fitted a fabulous Pioneer 2-DIN unit to my previous 987 Boxster and it transformed the audio and SatNav. It allowed me to stuff all my music on to the hard disk in the head unit and faultlessly integrated my phone by bluetooth. Try doing that with anything but the latest PCM3.

BoxC4

Original Poster:

9 posts

113 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
Thanks for the replies. My car doesn't have a Bose setup, and I'd like to hear if anyone has found a wiring kit that would convert my system to normal ISO and close the fibre loop?

Also it must have an aerial adaptor - I tried buying a kit but it came with the wrong aeriel adaptor and the main adaptor was faulty, so I gave up on the idea for a while, worried a faulty adaptor may harm the new stereo.

A link to an available adaptor product or model code/manufacturer name would be a huge help.

Thanks,

Phil

janniecop

2 posts

89 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
Hi
I have a Becker Cascade for sale. I've changed cars and retained it but it does not fit in my 2006 Boxster which has the PCM unit. The Cascade is a brilliant unit with SatNav, Bluetooth, I-Pod cable and really works well. I took the car to France and it took me through loads of small villages no problem!
If you are interested get in touch.
Cheers
John

SilverPorker

89 posts

91 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
Hi BoxC4,

I also have a 2004 Boxster with the MOST bus. Just like your car my car had the Becker CDR23 head unit; however my car also has the Bose amp and speakers option. At first I searched for some sort of adapter that would sit in line between an aftermarket head unit and the optical connection of the Bose amp, but I eventually came to the realisation that this just doesn't exist.

To cut a very long story short, I eventually used an excellent company based in Bishop Stortford called Audiofile Incar (http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/) who fitted a Kenwood KIV-700 mechless head unit, a JL Audio XD500/3 digital amplifier, and some custom cross overs. Audiofile spent a lot of time setting up and tuning the new amp for my Boxster and as a result the sound quality is noticeably superior compared to the stock Bose amp. BTW, I still have the stock Bose speakers. Audiofile told me that the Bose speakers in the doors are actually pretty good, but that I might want to consider replacing the speakers in the top of the dash at some point as they are overly "bright". I can undderstand this, and I may well take their advice at some point; but to be honest, I'm very happy with the system as it stands.

HTH and please post Back with your eventual solution.

mankey

653 posts

151 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
As I said, it depends how much money you have in your pocket. I imagine Silverporker, you spent rather a lot of money with Audiofile. In 2007 I bought an all-singing, all-dancing 2-DIN Pioneer unit that does everything I wanted. It was second hand and £800 but only by a few months. I fitted it myself and spent just a few quid in connectors, including the aerial adapter which is an Audi part.

As I mentioned earlier, it tranformed the functionality over the previous (in my case) CDR24 overnight. The previous Porsche head units are little more than fillers for the dash and possess little sophistication for anyone that needs even appreciable audio, but again, it depends how much money you want to put in to it.

BoxC4

Original Poster:

9 posts

113 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
Hi Mankey,

You're right about the costs - I'm trying to get this done for the lowest outlay possible, I already have an ISO (JVC) head unit and the Becker removal tools, so the only things missing are the adaptors.

It sounds like you used the adaptor for your Pioneer that I need for mine, along with the Audi aerial adaptor; can you point me to where I can buy these and if it's to hand, the part details for them? I'm just wary about the accuracy of retaillers' information and would hate to fit components that could cause damage or just not work properly.

Thanks,

Phil

yajeed

4,672 posts

202 months

Sunday 1st July 2012
quotequote all
janniecop said:
Hi
I have a Becker Cascade for sale. I've changed cars and retained it but it does not fit in my 2006 Boxster which has the PCM unit. The Cascade is a brilliant unit with SatNav, Bluetooth, I-Pod cable and really works well. I took the car to France and it took me through loads of small villages no problem!
If you are interested get in touch.
Cheers
John
Do you have a link to the advert? I'm in the same boat, though suspect a Becker would blow the budget somewhat!

mankey

653 posts

151 months

Monday 2nd July 2012
quotequote all
BoxC4 said:
It sounds like you used the adaptor for your Pioneer that I need for mine, along with the Audi aerial adaptor ............
Hi Phil,

Actually I didn't use any adapters. I did it the hard way - I worked out the pinouts for the connectors and connected everything piecemeal. It's not difficult to do to be honest, but there are kits available that allow you to do it. I just Googled a few appropriate words and came up with the following.

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors-p...

You need to find the right wiring adapter to cope with the power, speakers and possibly CAN-Bus signals, but on your car I'm not sure about the CAN-Bus. It was vital on my 987 to pass control signals but I'm not sure for your car. The aerial adapter can be found in several places, because it's quite generic.

Kenchan218

1 posts

77 months

Monday 15th July 2013
quotequote all
mankey said:
i Phil,

Actually I didn't use any adapters. I did it the hard way - I worked out the pinouts for the connectors and connected everything piecemeal. It's not difficult to do to be honest, but there are kits available that allow you to do it. I just Googled a few appropriate words and came up with the following.

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors-p...

You need to find the right wiring adapter to cope with the power, speakers and possibly CAN-Bus signals, but on your car I'm not sure about the CAN-Bus. It was vital on my 987 to pass control signals but I'm not sure for your car. The aerial adapter can be found in several places, because it's quite generic.
That is Exactly where I am at with my cayman now!!!!!
Did you get it sorted?

What will the above adaptor do ?
I been told I have to hard wire all the speakers in again?

Ken

BoxC4

Original Poster:

9 posts

113 months

Monday 15th July 2013
quotequote all
Hi Ken,

In the end I couldn't find anyone who were certain they were selling me the correct adaptors, so I got an active base unit (amp included), new speakers all round and new wiring from the amp to them. I finally have a say in what head unit I have, and it sounds great.

I just ran out of patience in the end and left it to the garage - I got sick of the crap sound the Becker setup produced and bit the bullet with a decent setup.

It cost me about £900 in the end with all parts and labour. Yes, ouch!

Phil

KPE

141 posts

87 months

Tuesday 16th July 2013
quotequote all
BoxC4 said:
Hi Ken,

In the end I couldn't find anyone who were certain they were selling me the correct adaptors, so I got an active base unit (amp included), new speakers all round and new wiring from the amp to them. I finally have a say in what head unit I have, and it sounds great.

I just ran out of patience in the end and left it to the garage - I got sick of the crap sound the Becker setup produced and bit the bullet with a decent setup.

It cost me about £900 in the end with all parts and labour. Yes, ouch!

Phil
Hi Phil, do you have a pic that you wouldn't mind sharing of your new setup please? Thanks!

m999psw

265 posts

146 months

Wednesday 17th July 2013
quotequote all
I swapped out the Becker for a Sony Ipod unit in my wifes non Bose 2004 986. I read about all the problems and issues around doing it but in the end she wanted her Ipod. I removed the radio, bought an aerial adapter from Halfords and plugged the old wiring harness into the new radio harness, and that was it! The only thing I will do one day is find a lights on/off feed and a switched live, but she is happy and it only took 5 minutes.

Paul