PistonHeads.com Forum

RE: PistonHeads Tours - USA

RE: PistonHeads Tours - USA

Friday 9th August 2013

PistonHeads Tours - USA Sept 28 - Oct 5

V8s, stunning scenery and amazing roads - come and join the Stateside tour!



Las Vegas, Hollywood, Death Valley, Route 66, The Golden Gate Bridge, Napa Valley, The Hoover Dam, Yosemite, Mojave, Beverly Hills, Malibu Beach, the Grand Canyon, Laguna Seca and the Calico Ghost Town.

Take your pick - they're all proper V8s!
Take your pick - they're all proper V8s!
All of these are must-see places when travelling to the West Coast of America, but this is far more than just a sightseeing tour. The Pacific Coast Highway that twists and turns with mountains on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other, Mulholland Highway, Angeles Crest and the Mojave National Park roads are all as good as anything you'll find in Europe, plus we've got a few surprises up our sleeves.

The 2013 trips take us through three states: California, Nevada and (briefly) Arizona. Every day brings something new. One day you have the Pacific Ocean, the next you're in a desert. In fact, on day six we go from the over-the-top Las Vegas to the stunning (and hot) Death Valley before ending up in a ski resort with temperature and altitude changes to match.

We include the hire of the cars in the price of this tour and even give you a choice from the following (all powered by V8 petrol engines): Corvette convertible, Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible, Chevrolet Camaro SS, Dodge Challenger RT, Ford Mustang GT Premium.

All excess mileage and insurance is prepaid by us, so the only vehicle expenses will be fuel (really cheap) and tolls (very rare).

This is a trip you simply cannot miss, but it is limited to 15 cars so if you don't book up early then you will regret it until 2014...

Calico ghost town is on the itinerary
Calico ghost town is on the itinerary
ITINERARY (SEPT 28-OCT 5)

DAY ONE: San Francisco Airport to Monterey Bay
Arrive at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). You will be met at the hire car desk by your tour managers and allocated a car (to be shared between two people). A short drive over the mountains to Santa Cruz and then out to the beautiful Monterey Bay.

DAY TWO: 255 miles, Monterey Bay to Santa Barbara
We begin the day with the first of our treats: a visit to the famous Laguna Seca raceway to soak up the atmosphere. Driving south along the famous Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara (southbound is by far the best direction for the PCH) there's plenty of time to pause and take in the sights, or we can just enjoy driving with each other in true Petrolhead Nirvana style. We'll break off PCH to to check up our sleeve again (we'll keep this one a secret for now). Back on track, there are long sweeping bends and other more technical sections but always a stunning ocean view. We end the day just outside Los Angeles at Santa Barbara where we stay at a stunning beachfront hotel.

DAY THREE: 260 miles, Santa Barbara to Barstow
The Santa Barbara, Malibu, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Angeles National Park leg of the trip: the locations speak for themselves. We'll be enjoying the California air and revelling in the surrounding beauty. We may not be film stars but we'll be causing a stir as we meet with some of our local friends from the Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche owners clubs in L.A. on our way, driving along Mulholland Drive, passing Rodeo Drive and the Hollywood Walk of Fame, where using more sleeve technology we'll have lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. We then move on to view the famous Hollywood sign and, the highlight of the day, a 7,000 foot ascent on the Angeles Crest Highway.

DAY FOUR: 275 miles, Barstow to Las Vegas
From Barstow we head to the Calico Ghost Town to sample some real cowboy history, and then on to the 1.6 million acre Mojave National Preserve. After a fun drive on Route 66 and the undulating back roads through the park, we head to the architectural wonder that is the Hoover Dam (this one was too big to fit up our sleeves) and then another highlight of the tour: our arrival in Las Vegas!

DAY FIVE: Welcome to Las Vegas!
Las Vegas - a rest day - and where better to spend it? Our hotel is right on the strip, and with all the glitz and glamour you'd expect and hope for. A helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon? A ride on a rollercoaster at New York New York? Watch the famous dancing fountains at the Bellagio? You can wander around the casinos, take in a show or just soak up the Las Vegas atmosphere.

DAY SIX: 300 miles, Las Vegas to Mammoth Lakes (via Death Valley)
Leaving Las Vegas we head to Death Valley National Park which will be relatively uncrowded at this time of year. The park includes our favourite road of all - Artist's Drive, a scenic loop drive through multi-hued volcanic and sedimentary hills. The nine-mile paved road is one-way with smooth tarmac, undulations and tight hairpins, and is like a mini Nurburgring. This is just one of the amazing areas of the park. We then have lunch and refuel at Furnace Creek on our way out to Mammoth Lakes, a beautiful ski resort for our night's stop.

DAY SEVEN: 230 miles, Mammoth Lakes to Napa Valley
We trail along the Yosemite National Park, past Mono Lake, then head through the Eldorado National Forest in the Sierra Nevada mountain range with some amazing driving roads to enjoy. Finally, we emerge in the world famous Napa Valley for a final night of revelry.

DAY EIGHT: 65 miles, Napa to San Francisco Airport
Heading back towards the airport we cross the Golden Gate Bridge, a fitting ending to an amazing week and one that will change your mind about American roads, cars and exactly what tour managers can hide up their sleeves. Arriving at the airport we hand the cars back ready for our flight home.

Everything is epic on this trip - see for yourself!
Everything is epic on this trip - see for yourself!
Pricing and information

  • £1,699 per person sharing a car and a twin or double room
  • £2,079 per solo driver sharing a twin or double room with a fellow tourer
  • £2,549 per solo driver in a single room

What's included

  • Hire of your choice of car, subject to availability (drivers must be over 25)
  • Full insurance cover and extra mileage prepaid
  • Hotel accommodation for seven nights
  • Breakfast included every morning (except in Las Vegas)
  • Two experienced tour managers in two cars to lead and chase
  • Loan of TomTom with all routes pre-loaded.
  • Loan of powerful, licensed walkie-talkies.
  • Drivers packs with route notes, maps and useful information.

What isn't included

  • Return flights to San Francisco International airport (SFO)
  • Dinner, drinks, fuel, tolls and personal expenses
  • Optional helicopter flight to Grand Canyon
  • Gambling money for the Las Vegas Casinos!

How to book

A deposit of £500 is required per person to secure your place(s) on this tour.

Give the team a call on +44 (0)845 838 7363 with your credit or debit card ready, and we'll have you booked on tour in no time.

Author
Discussion

TREMAiNE

Original Poster:

2,792 posts

73 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
Really can't wait for this! Just a month and a half to go!

Gutted I can't drive though, being just 21 by then!

I'm sure it's gonna be an absolute blast!

Really should get my passport sorted out!

EmmaJ

4,502 posts

70 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
TREMAiNE said:
Really can't wait for this! Just a month and a half to go!

Gutted I can't drive though, being just 21 by then!

I'm sure it's gonna be an absolute blast!

Really should get my passport sorted out!
wavey

I'll see you on tour woohoo

Been looking forward to this for months!!

Just hope that the reduced weight of the Corvette makes up for the extra power my Monaro has, otherwise it's going to feel a bit slow paperbaglaugh

Deako

50 posts

83 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
Wow, i would love to be taking part in this. Have a blast all!!

stevie1982

24 posts

121 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
hi a quick question, when is the actual date of this. I must be blind just i cant see it on the link in pistonheads

TREMAiNE

Original Poster:

2,792 posts

73 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
stevie1982 said:
hi a quick question, when is the actual date of this. I must be blind just i cant see it on the link in pistonheads
28.09-05.10 I believe!

Advertisement

TREMAiNE

Original Poster:

2,792 posts

73 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
EmmaJ said:
TREMAiNE said:
Really can't wait for this! Just a month and a half to go!

Gutted I can't drive though, being just 21 by then!

I'm sure it's gonna be an absolute blast!

Really should get my passport sorted out!
wavey

I'll see you on tour woohoo

Been looking forward to this for months!!

Just hope that the reduced weight of the Corvette makes up for the extra power my Monaro has, otherwise it's going to feel a bit slow paperbaglaugh
Yeah counting down the days here! smile

Monaro and a RX8 I see.. Nice!

Currently own an RX8 myelf (plus an RX7) with the Monaro as one of the cars I plan to move to next!

Harsh

4,551 posts

135 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
We're looking forward to it too!

It's going to be a blast smile

RenOHH

6,872 posts

122 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
It says over 25 years of age. So do you have to be 26?

Janesy B

2,519 posts

110 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
RenOHH said:
It says over 25 years of age. So do you have to be 26?
25 years and 2 hours is over 25 years wink

jamiefretwell

1 posts

62 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
I'm off on a similar trip at the end of next week. Fly to LA, then Vegas, GC, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fran and down the PCH back to LA. Thanks to PH, i'm now going to have to add in a few detours...]

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any suggestions for music to listen to on the journey? I don't want to rely on Spotify (Vodafone would screw me over if I used my phone in the States) and I have a £50 iTunes voucher that needs using up...

Jamie

mackie1

7,604 posts

157 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
The wife and I are doing a similar trip in September but using Vegas as the start and finish point. I will have to borrow some ideas from the route you guys are taking I think!

GTRCLIVE

4,081 posts

207 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
Just a question whats the cost of the Tour and hotels etc if I bring my own car (V8 or course) and I live close (Canada).... and is this going to be a regular thing If I miss it this year ....

VerySideways

9,829 posts

196 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
GTRCLIVE said:
Just a question whats the cost of the Tour and hotels etc if I bring my own car (V8 or course) and I live close (Canada).... and is this going to be a regular thing If I miss it this year ....
Hi, depending on whether you're on your own or two up we can certainly discount the cost of the hire car.
Drop me a PM with your email address and we can discuss the options?

fatbutt

1,433 posts

188 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
Hmmm, I did LA to San Fran along CA 1 in June over three days (LA to Morro Bay, Morro Bay to Monteray, Monteray to San Fran) in a convertible mustang.

Day 1 - don't think we got over 40 mph. Traffic terrible. Scenary a bit 'meh'. Morro Bay is really nice.
Day 2 - great scenary but you don't get over 40 mph as its single lane and packed with other cars. Monteray utterly sucks ass, no idea why its recommended.
Day 3 - much like day 1.

Apart from the great few hours on Day 2 (plus Hearst Castle and a trip to see all the elephant seals) it wasn't that great. We still enjoyed ourselves but really, it ain't a 'great' drive.



Not saying that the PH package isn't worthwhile, (got married in Vegas so I can vouch for that being a fun place smile ), just don't go expecting decent roads or a zowie driving experience.

RenOHH

6,872 posts

122 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
Janesy B said:
RenOHH said:
It says over 25 years of age. So do you have to be 26?
25 years and 2 hours is over 25 years wink
It is, and that would make sense, but I get the feeling that it should be "You need to be at least 25 years of age".

Eski1991

1,109 posts

57 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
I'll see you in 2016 when I'm 25.

VerySideways

9,829 posts

196 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
fatbutt said:
Not saying that the PH package isn't worthwhile, (got married in Vegas so I can vouch for that being a fun place smile ), just don't go expecting decent roads or a zowie driving experience.
You missed out. There are some fantastic roads just off the PCH, as well as between LA and Las Vegas, and again between Vegas and San Fran. There are roads on this tour which are every bit a match for the best roads in the Alps...
If you decide to go again I'll give you some pointers :-)

Harsh

4,551 posts

135 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
RenOHH said:
Janesy B said:
RenOHH said:
It says over 25 years of age. So do you have to be 26?
25 years and 2 hours is over 25 years wink
It is, and that would make sense, but I get the feeling that it should be "You need to be at least 25 years of age".
Indeed, it's semantics but technically i guess you're right
Perhaps 25 and over would solve the problem? smile

Eski1991 said:
I'll see you in 2016 when I'm 25.
Like! smile (PH we need a like button!)

VerySideways said:
fatbutt said:
Not saying that the PH package isn't worthwhile, (got married in Vegas so I can vouch for that being a fun place smile ), just don't go expecting decent roads or a zowie driving experience.
You missed out. There are some fantastic roads just off the PCH, as well as between LA and Las Vegas, and again between Vegas and San Fran. There are roads on this tour which are every bit a match for the best roads in the Alps...
If you decide to go again I'll give you some pointers :-)
We've run 4 of these in the previous 3 years and as Pete says above a bit of research finds some amazing roads - and yes of course we're happy to help for next time.
if you have a few minutes spare have a look at this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQ002FAilw

jamiefretwell said:
I'm off on a similar trip at the end of next week. Fly to LA, then Vegas, GC, Zion, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Fran and down the PCH back to LA. Thanks to PH, i'm now going to have to add in a few detours...]

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any suggestions for music to listen to on the journey? I don't want to rely on Spotify (Vodafone would screw me over if I used my phone in the States) and I have a £50 iTunes voucher that needs using up...

Jamie
As above send Pete a mail if you want some pointers ref route....
Re music, if you're getting a Vette or something else high end then you should get sirius satellite radio - that's pretty much all you need, more stations than you know what to do with including 80's on 8 90's on 9 rock , RnB classical or just plain odd!

mackie1 said:
The wife and I are doing a similar trip in September but using Vegas as the start and finish point. I will have to borrow some ideas from the route you guys are taking I think!
and again as above wink




TonyF

1,949 posts

200 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
We are looking forward to this to, couple of questions tho, how big (or small) is the vette convertible boot ? just thinking luggage !
And will the cars be newish or older models ?

Thanks.

VerySideways

9,829 posts

196 months

Friday 9th August 2013
quotequote all
TonyF said:
We are looking forward to this to, couple of questions tho, how big (or small) is the vette convertible boot ? just thinking luggage !
And will the cars be newish or older models ?

Thanks.
A month before the tour you'll get a launch letter, outlining things like what to bring with you, where you'll meet up with the tour managers, and so on.
Included in this are dimensions to the boot on the Corvette convertible.
Effectively, it holds 2 roll-on bags (as per the luggage frame at the airport), a couple of laptops and camera bags, and there's a little space for squishy bags in the corners too. It's not big, officially (roof down) it's 144 litres (for reference the back boot on a Boxster is 130 litres).

Cars will be newish (i.e. a year or two old) Corvette C6 convertibles - although we're hoping to have the new C7 convertible for next year biggrin