PistonHeads.com Forum

Where have all the enthusiasts gone?

Where have all the enthusiasts gone?

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Vladimir

Original Poster:

6,917 posts

79 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
What's happening to PH? It's all about finance, leasing and slagging off any new car that comes out, however many questions it answers.
Is anyone like me in that if they see anything "interesting" they smile and appreciate it; be it a super plain looking Audi with a subtle 4.2 engine badge or a winged up fast rally rep?

We have a cracking choice of cars at the moment, many at the more or less affordable end of the market yet all we get is "it's too ugly, it's too dull, it's just a Beetle, it's too Playstation, it's too much of a handful, it weighs 3kg too much, blah blah blah"

There are some proper enthusiasts buried in amongst the waffling goons but they seem to be getting edged out.

Let's have more threads on the fun of driving, appreciate good cars new, old and in between, cut the elitist nonsense some (especially M car owners…) and bring back a little more smiles.

There's an overused cliche in surfing - the best surfer is the one having the most fun. I think this applies directly to driving too. We picked up our M135i today after it went in (at two weeks old!) for a bit of paint correction and I just grinned all the way home - the noise, the alertness of the chassis, the grip, the power; all hilarious fun for me and the family.

Come on guys (for there are very few girls), cheer up - It's Spring soon; drier roads, cool air; ideal driving conditions!!

10penceparalyzed

229 posts

45 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
This is piston heads , not a website for the petrol heads that you seek smile

Piston head worried about bad grammar and which watch they should buy.........

Debaser

3,072 posts

182 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
There's certainly plenty of people on PH who aren't driving enthusiasts, they care more about interior trim than which wheels are driven.

But then I see someone express the kind of view that's typical of being interested in driving they get called a 'Driving God'.

Very strange.

Fattyfat

3,075 posts

117 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Jack of all trades?...

Plenty of golden nuggets on here, you just need to spend a little time searching/browsing.

Trevor450

1,203 posts

69 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
You need to have a look in the Readers' Cars section. Plenty of enthusiasts in there!
Advertisement

deltashad

6,178 posts

118 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Didn't you once slag me off for having an MGF and CLK? smile Lets have a little look at our garages.

You've done well Vlad recently in not being a total prick but some of us dont forget.

Troubleatmill

5,668 posts

80 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Here we go... frown

0a

19,071 posts

115 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
The SPL forum is the worst, full of jobsworths who will argue with a lamppost that grown men sitting in a transit van on a perfectly safe road, ticketing perfectly safe motorists for money is a worthwhile activity.

JimmyConwayNW

1,806 posts

46 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Have you got an M135i? I would never have known.



You dissed the Audi S4 I am currently running when I first joined this forum.

You BOUGHT a car and RENT a house. I can't take you seriously.

poing

7,024 posts

121 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
As much as I agree with you, because I'm a terminal car bore, we have to accept that times change. Some people (however misguided) care about image and what they think the car says about them.

A lot of modern cars are being heavily developed by the marketing department rather than the engineers. They have to do whatever makes them money I guess and the average person on the street just see's a car as a way to get from A to B and boast to the friends about it having the most fashionable badge this week. The modern car enthusiast represents this change.

There are a few of us left that can have just as much fun driving an F40, Ford KA or a ratty old van because we love driving.

Troubleatmill

5,668 posts

80 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
And we are off...

There is more chance of the Pope winning Rabbi of the year, than this thread not descending into a personal insult fest.


frown

Vladimir

Original Poster:

6,917 posts

79 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
poing said:
As much as I agree with you, because I'm a terminal car bore, we have to accept that times change. Some people (however misguided) care about image and what they think the car says about them.

A lot of modern cars are being heavily developed by the marketing department rather than the engineers. They have to do whatever makes them money I guess and the average person on the street just see's a car as a way to get from A to B and boast to the friends about it having the most fashionable badge this week. The modern car enthusiast represents this change.

There are a few of us left that can have just as much fun driving an F40, Ford KA or a ratty old van because we love driving.
Very well put. I think I'd have a lot of fun in an F40; right until I ended up backwards in a hedge.

deltashad

6,178 posts

118 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
That may be the case but what comes around goes around, take a look at tbc's recent thread.

If you fire personal insults at people then make some stupid thread like this as if your some sort of born again christian reap the rewards.

Pablo68

910 posts

56 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Because membership of the forum has very little in the way or prerequisites...and of those it does have strangely being a car enthusiast is not one of them.

The majority of real enthusiasts are too busy in their garage fettling or down the car auctions looking for their next project to be on some interwebs forum chatting to total strangers.

Ozzie Osmond

21,189 posts

167 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Blame the "Nurburgring" twaddle and all the idiotic pub bore statistics that go with it.

All I want is a car that's good to drive, looks the business and doesn't cost a footballer's salary.

Vladimir

Original Poster:

6,917 posts

79 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Sorry delta but you were ignored the FIRST time; are you still trying to make your voice heard? You and any other moaning old tarts will be ignored. This isn't a thread for your sort. Please set up your own entitled "the bleating old women who bh more than a cheap sleb magazine thread."

You'll fit right in.

Anyway it's good to see a few of the good ones in here. The roads were actually almost DRY today; sadly it's battering it down again tomorrow...

SEE YA

3,522 posts

166 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
My hobby is classic cars, for the last twenty years + I do not drink or smoke, the cash goes on old cars. We go to over ten shows a year about classic cars. I have done a few restorations as well.

deltashad

6,178 posts

118 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Vladimir said:
Sorry delta but you were ignored the FIRST time; are you still trying to make your voice heard? You and any other moaning old tarts will be ignored. This isn't a thread for your sort. Please set up your own entitled "the bleating old women who bh more than a cheap sleb magazine thread."

You'll fit right in.

Anyway it's good to see a few of the good ones in here. The roads were actually almost DRY today; sadly it's battering it down again tomorrow...
Face it Vlad, you're a stereotype. No brain. No soul. Just a little boy with a vile mouth and no opinion of his own.

Edited by deltashad on Saturday 25th January 20:31

Pablo68

910 posts

56 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
SEE YA said:
My hobby is classic cars, for the last twenty years + I do not drink or smoke, the cash goes on old cars. We go to over ten shows a year about classic cars. I have done a few restorations as well.
This person has Carma.

Ozzie Osmond

21,189 posts

167 months

Saturday 25th January 2014
quotequote all
Pablo68 said:
SEE YA said:
My hobby is classic cars, for the last twenty years + I do not drink or smoke, the cash goes on old cars. We go to over ten shows a year about classic cars. I have done a few restorations as well.
This person has Carma.
^^^^ Yes

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED