Chrysler 300c 6.1 Hemi - Am I mad?

Chrysler 300c 6.1 Hemi - Am I mad?

Author
Discussion

kermit03

Original Poster:

44 posts

156 months

Friday 18th December 2015
quotequote all
Hi All,

Am looking for a new motor and really want a v8.

Have looked at German saloons but all look kind of bland.

I will be using car daily around town - about 100-120 miles per week

Are the Hemi's reliable and will they cope with just town driving with occasional motorway blast?

Any input or feedback welcome.

Thanks

vaughan watkins

512 posts

181 months

Friday 18th December 2015
quotequote all
run a Dodge Challenger SRT 8 as a daily which is basically the same car just different body and it will tick all the boxes, great in traffic, around town and on a run, bit thirsty around town circa 13-15 mpg but 20mpg on a steady run, what it will give you is lots of smiles as 425bhp in a daily is fun, I do around 20k a year in mine and had it nearly 3 years, all ive done is filters and oil engine wise and usual tyres brakes ect but im very happy, they do go through ball joints and bushes though. But pound for pound you cant beat them and most likely you will sell it for what you pay for it as they kinda stay where they are value wise once they've done their initial drop.

kermit03

Original Poster:

44 posts

156 months

Saturday 19th December 2015
quotequote all
Thanks for the reply.

I have a hankering for a V8, purely for the sound and these sound a lot nicer/meaner than their European counterparts.

I did look at the chargers but out of my price range.

I need the 4 doors for work so Mustang/Camaro/challenger out of the question.

Insurance is cheaper too which is nice

Matt Harper

6,167 posts

171 months

Saturday 19th December 2015
quotequote all
I ran a US spec car (in US) for 3 years and absolutely enjoyed every day of ownership of that car. It's a proper 5 seat missile.

The engine is a gem, though as stated, has a voracious appetite for premium fuel - and no MDS cylinder deactivation, like it's replacement 392 version (in auto cars).
The NAG/5G-Tronic transmission is very robust, but needs to be livened-up a bit, with the addition of a Diablosport Predator flash tuner.

The only problems I encountered in around 60,000 miles, were a front strut seal failure (expensive - new strut was nearly $1000) and a transmission control unit, which was replaced under warranty. Otherwise just oil, filters, pads and tires.
In addition to the tuner, I added a Zoomer front to back exhaust system and Strange Engineering half-shafts (I bracket raced the car and the stock half shafts were the drive-line weak link). Mine ran very consistent low 12 sec quarters, not bad for an otherwise quite stock 4300lb car.

I would thoroughly recommend - with one word of caution. Road salt can be a problem, regarding the brakes. A lot of northern US/Canadian cars develop a fault where the plating on the brake pistons gets corroded by salt and causes (particularly the fronts) to start leaking - leading to an expensive rebuild. The stock wheels are also prone to salt corrosion damage (superficial, but unsightly).

Finally and at risk of upsetting others on here (sorry about that), I would exercise caution about LPG converting. This engine is HIGHLY reliant on good upper cylinder lubrication, in order to avoid valve seat regression - hence the absolute requirement for premium fuel. I have yet to see a LPG conversion company that will supply any kind of guarantee against valve seat damage caused by installation of an LPG system. Some folks have installed LPG on this motor and are happy with the result. I would't risk it, personally.

BartW

1,668 posts

139 months

Thursday 31st December 2015
quotequote all
Matt Harper said:
Finally and at risk of upsetting others on here (sorry about that), I would exercise caution about LPG converting. This engine is HIGHLY reliant on good upper cylinder lubrication, in order to avoid valve seat regression - hence the absolute requirement for premium fuel. I have yet to see a LPG conversion company that will supply any kind of guarantee against valve seat damage caused by installation of an LPG system. Some folks have installed LPG on this motor and are happy with the result. I would't risk it, personally.
You can prevent things by using the flashlube, or other types of valve lubrication devices that save the valves, and seats.
I would be more concerned about the uninterrupted fuel delivery. As you accelerate, the fuel travels, and sometimes starvation can be experienced. It happened to both of my previous V8s from the GM group.

BUG4LIFE

1,700 posts

188 months

Wednesday 24th February 2016
quotequote all
I'm really interested in finding out more about the 300 SRT8, especially how it compares to the Jag S-Type R, in terms of sportiness and interior quality. I really like the both and both have scope for a bit of modding.

Bits I'm unsure of on both; interior quality of the 300 (bar the seats which look very nice) and oddly, it appears to be a pain in the ass to play music through an iPhone in the Jag. That may seem like a silly reason not to buy a car but I really like access to all my tracks on my phone!

vaughan watkins

512 posts

181 months

Saturday 27th February 2016
quotequote all
BUG4LIFE said:
I'm really interested in finding out more about the 300 SRT8, especially how it compares to the Jag S-Type R, in terms of sportiness and interior quality. I really like the both and both have scope for a bit of modding.

Bits I'm unsure of on both; interior quality of the 300 (bar the seats which look very nice) and oddly, it appears to be a pain in the ass to play music through an iPhone in the Jag. That may seem like a silly reason not to buy a car but I really like access to all my tracks on my phone!
If value for money comes into it the 300 will win hands down, jag will be expensive to maintain so although the jag may be a nicer place to be it will come at a cost.

BUG4LIFE

1,700 posts

188 months

Sunday 28th February 2016
quotequote all
vaughan watkins said:
BUG4LIFE said:
I'm really interested in finding out more about the 300 SRT8, especially how it compares to the Jag S-Type R, in terms of sportiness and interior quality. I really like the both and both have scope for a bit of modding.

Bits I'm unsure of on both; interior quality of the 300 (bar the seats which look very nice) and oddly, it appears to be a pain in the ass to play music through an iPhone in the Jag. That may seem like a silly reason not to buy a car but I really like access to all my tracks on my phone!
If value for money comes into it the 300 will win hands down, jag will be expensive to maintain so although the jag may be a nicer place to be it will come at a cost.
Using independent garages, I don't know if the Jag has to be expensive. It seems the 300 is a tad more expensive to buy in the first place, oddly!

Matt Harper

6,167 posts

171 months

Tuesday 1st March 2016
quotequote all
BUG4LIFE said:
Using independent garages, I don't know if the Jag has to be expensive. It seems the 300 is a tad more expensive to buy in the first place, oddly!
SRT8 will stomp that Jag in terms of stump-pulling performance. All of the routine maintenance on the Chrysler is very easy to do yourself - in fact the only thing I couldn't do myself was transmission fluid change, which requires a special tool and only required every 75k miles. The engine is a proper monster - very lazy and compliant until you stand on it - then it turns into a bellowing, thundering beast. The Jaguar doesn't do that.

BUG4LIFE

1,700 posts

188 months

Sunday 6th March 2016
quotequote all
Matt Harper said:
BUG4LIFE said:
Using independent garages, I don't know if the Jag has to be expensive. It seems the 300 is a tad more expensive to buy in the first place, oddly!
SRT8 will stomp that Jag in terms of stump-pulling performance. All of the routine maintenance on the Chrysler is very easy to do yourself - in fact the only thing I couldn't do myself was transmission fluid change, which requires a special tool and only required every 75k miles. The engine is a proper monster - very lazy and compliant until you stand on it - then it turns into a bellowing, thundering beast. The Jaguar doesn't do that.
Yeah, the Hemi does excite me! How do you rate the interior quality though mate, is it a bit low-rent?

Matt Harper

6,167 posts

171 months

Monday 7th March 2016
quotequote all
BUG4LIFE said:
Yeah, the Hemi does excite me! How do you rate the interior quality though mate, is it a bit low-rent?
The seats are very good (maybe a bit big for some folk). Has power fore/eft tilt steering and power adjust pedals. Climate control is exceptionally good as is UConnect and Harmon Cardon audio. Rain sensing wipers - auto-dim HID lights and front/rear park sensors (on US spec cars, at least).

The plastics used on door caps and dash pad may cause upset, but you have seriously missed the point of the car if that's the case.

BUG4LIFE

1,700 posts

188 months

Wednesday 9th March 2016
quotequote all
Matt Harper said:
The seats are very good (maybe a bit big for some folk). Has power fore/eft tilt steering and power adjust pedals. Climate control is exceptionally good as is UConnect and Harmon Cardon audio. Rain sensing wipers - auto-dim HID lights and front/rear park sensors (on US spec cars, at least).

The plastics used on door caps and dash pad may cause upset, but you have seriously missed the point of the car if that's the case.
It has to have an element of luxury though (being a saloon). Having a mega engine doesn't mean it can be st everywhere else! Though I guess it's a bit unfair comparing it to the Jag or German equivalent as it was a bunch cheaper in the first place. I wonder how the interior plastics/fit and finish compares to a Monaro/VXR8?

With my last 4 cars being an E36 328, Integra Type-R, Mk2 Golf GTi and a E30 325 cab, interior plastics aren't at the top of my list though smile

Edited by BUG4LIFE on Wednesday 9th March 18:56

vaughan watkins

512 posts

181 months

Wednesday 9th March 2016
quotequote all
Well my daily is a Challenger with the SRT8 engine so I can say its an awesome power plant, my wifes daily is a 300C diesel, and to be honest its not a bad place to spend time, not as nice as the challenger interior but for the money I think you would be happy

LuS1fer

38,153 posts

215 months

Thursday 10th March 2016
quotequote all
For me, the looks of the 300 kill it stone dead. Not that bad, at the front, the rear is a bit Vectra and the sad fact is that, image-wise, it falls between the wannabe Bently brigade and the local taxi firms who use the diesels for big taxi work.

I also saw a motoring programme where the 300 Estate was pitched against a Volvo T5 and the Volvo walked all over it, in terms of handling, not entirely unexpectedly.

If I was in this market,Ii would be looking at a VXR8.
In a perfect world, I would buy a Cadillac CTS-V but hen's teeth are more common. As an alternative the last model CTS Sport with the 3.6 would offer far better handling but they are LHD.

LuS1fer

38,153 posts

215 months

Friday 11th March 2016
quotequote all
Not really but I dare say it's a question of perception.



BUG4LIFE

1,700 posts

188 months

Saturday 12th March 2016
quotequote all
I don't mind the look of the SRT8. It's less stuck-up than the Germans, doesn't take itself to serious and would be fun on a night out!!

Yes, I choose a VXR8 too but they're a bunch more expensive.

BLUETHUNDER

7,880 posts

230 months

Saturday 12th March 2016
quotequote all
Not owning an SRT but I have a 300 CRD and a Cadillac CTS gen 1 and the later 2. Both 3.6 sports and all RHD. As regards interior quality then the interior of the Cadillac is a better place to be. But the robustness and seats on the 300 are far more better. My 300 is sitting on 117,000 now and nothing on the inside is worn or faded. Holds up well considering the use it gets. The gen 1 CTS had the finish coming off the audio system at 30,000 miles. The gen 2 fares better but has had a couple of niggly problems. Never had a problem with the 300.

Glasgowrob

2,849 posts

91 months

Friday 20th January 2017
quotequote all
lovely looking car. any interior pics?


hate to break it to you but you won't be doing 50mpg probably the tuning box causing issues with the readings, I'd wager nearer 40

but stunning all the same

SRT Hellcat

6,633 posts

187 months

Friday 20th January 2017
quotequote all
Good job.
On the way back from Belgium to Dunkirk last year at a steady 70 to 80 I averaged 29.2mpg in the Hellcat. In fact I got back home on one tank of gas. Incredible cars