RE: JDM supercar shootout: Time For Coffee

RE: JDM supercar shootout: Time For Coffee

Thursday 30th November 2017

JDM supercar shootout: Time For Coffee?

Best Motoring went all out on the R34 GT-R's arrival, as this video shows!



If only it was six cars, with one Impreza. Then it would be the perfect real-life Gran Turismo race. As it is this Best Motoring video, made in 1999 but only released on YouTube last month, is still an excellent adaptation of the real driving simulator.

There is a point to this video, not that Best Motoring videos should ever require one: 1999 was the year the R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R was launched, a big deal for the Best Motoring boys. So how better to prove the car's credentials than a five-lap sprint (and time attack) around Tsukuba against its closest rivals?

So we have an R34 (in Bayside Blue, of course), an R33 GT-R, a pair of NSXs (an S and an S Zero), an RX-7 RS and two Evo Vs, an RS and a GSR. And the usual array of top Japanese racers. It's on!

We won't give away the result here, only to say that it's very close and the Skyline proves its worth in the group in both the race and the time attack. Neither Nissan wins though...

 

Author
Discussion

rb26

Original Poster:

692 posts

120 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
Sadly the boat for theses has gone. £40-50,000 for a decent R34 GT-R is too steep in my opinion. This recent hike in price is most likely influenced by the American market coming into play, so hopefully it'll settle down once the hype and excitement of being able to own them in the USA dies down.


Dannbodge

1,369 posts

55 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
If I had 50k spare, a R34 would always be very high on my list.

jason61c

2,875 posts

108 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
Its got more to do with what 50k doesn't get you in the Porsche world.

Compare a 50k Porsche to a gt-r.

rb26

Original Poster:

692 posts

120 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
£50K on a nearly 20 year old tuner car? I'm not so sure. For that kind of money you could buy a excellent PH1 or PH2 Clio V6 and have £15-20k left over.

cib24

646 posts

87 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
I love my FD to death but I saw a blue R34 just like the one in the video in London on Saturday and damn it's a good looking car too, if a bit porky and boxy. It has real presence like the FD. Definitely an attention grabber.
Advertisement

cib24

646 posts

87 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
rb26 said:
£50K on a nearly 20 year old tuner car? I'm not so sure. For that kind of money you could buy a excellent PH1 or PH2 Clio V6 and have £15-20k left over.
HAHAHAHAHA!

That Clio is not in the same league in any way, shape or form.

rb26

Original Poster:

692 posts

120 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
cib24 said:
I love my FD to death but I saw a blue R34 just like the one in the video in London on Saturday and damn it's a good looking car too, if a bit porky and boxy. It has real presence like the FD. Definitely an attention grabber.
I love the boxy rear arches, looks pure motorsport to me.


rb26

Original Poster:

692 posts

120 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
cib24 said:
HAHAHAHAHA!

That Clio is not in the same league in any way, shape or form.
Not saying it is. But as something desirable, unique and special? It's right up there. Will they ever put a mid-mounted V6 in a shopping trolley with RWD again? Thought not.....

BuzzBravado

2,567 posts

105 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
Best Motoring was great entertainment, even if they were biased in the battles.

alorotom

4,889 posts

121 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
rb26 said:
£50K on a nearly 20 year old tuner car? I'm not so sure. For that kind of money you could buy a excellent PH1 or PH2 Clio V6 and have £15-20k left over.
I’d be inclined to agree here - think the v6 will be worth more in the future as well

RB Will

5,340 posts

174 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
You guys are optimistic thinking of getting one for £50k. My best mate has a R34 Vspec2 that is currently insured for about £80k. He said there was a not particularly nice R34, non vspec that sold for about £55k a couple of weeks back. He hasn't seen a Vspec2 sold for less than £70k for a while.

This is his absolute minter

Bladedancer

928 posts

130 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
alorotom said:
I’d be inclined to agree here - think the v6 will be worth more in the future as well
The future is now and, well, it isn't worth more than a R34.

NJ72

133 posts

32 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
TBH, a Clio V6 is an interesting and fairly unique car, but it's still nearly 20 years old (in Phase 1 guise) and it's just not got that desirability or presence that the R34 has.

It's cheaper for a reason smile

Mike1990

574 posts

65 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
Mental prices!

Loved watching that R34 dance around. Doesn’t need a Drift Button for that! lol.

Best Motoring are ace! Imagine a doing something like that over here at like Cadwell Park.

94OD

434 posts

56 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
RB Will said:
You guys are optimistic thinking of getting one for £50k. My best mate has a R34 Vspec2 that is currently insured for about £80k. He said there was a not particularly nice R34, non vspec that sold for about £55k a couple of weeks back. He hasn't seen a Vspec2 sold for less than £70k for a while.

This is his absolute minter
Think I have seen that at the Queen Square meet in Bristol - lovely car.

I'm not really a Japanese car enthusiast, but there will always be a place in my heart for an R34 GTR. Such an icon.

LP670

493 posts

60 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
only a mclaren f1 lm and a ferrari f40 come before this magnificent machine in my all time top 3 cars. one is parked about 10 feet away from where im sitting too cloud9

RB Will

5,340 posts

174 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
94OD said:
RB Will said:
You guys are optimistic thinking of getting one for £50k. My best mate has a R34 Vspec2 that is currently insured for about £80k. He said there was a not particularly nice R34, non vspec that sold for about £55k a couple of weeks back. He hasn't seen a Vspec2 sold for less than £70k for a while.

This is his absolute minter
Think I have seen that at the Queen Square meet in Bristol - lovely car.

I'm not really a Japanese car enthusiast, but there will always be a place in my heart for an R34 GTR. Such an icon.
Yeah its been there a few times smile

Guvernator

8,686 posts

99 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
I'm glad I had a chance to own one of these, they are a fantastic car which probably has one of the all time great turbocharged engines in it, one that revved past 8000rpm as standard in 1999, they struggle to do that now!

The R34 is not eligible for import to the USA yet as it's still not more than 25 years old, you'll need to wait till 2024 for that so that has no bearing on price, unfortunately what does have a bearing is the commodatisation of most of the hero cars from that era into "modern classics" which is a fancy way of saying people are now more interested in them as an investment then an actual car.

For around £20k they were brilliant, however at the prices a decent R34 is commanding now and yes you are looking at £50k as a starting point with special editions £10-20k above that, I really don't think they represent value for money anymore.


Gandahar

5,748 posts

62 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
The funny thing is the R34 seemed a bit big in those days compared to the Evo and Sti but actually it is not big, it is

DENSE

For size it fitted a lot of mechanicals into a package where the looks made it look bigger.


I'll have a Z tune one please, I think I would lust over that more than an F40. It's just the ultimate Skyline.....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/nissan/gt-r-n...


SonicShadow

2,258 posts

88 months

Thursday 30th November 2017
quotequote all
Gandahar said:
The funny thing is the R34 seemed a bit big in those days compared to the Evo and Sti but actually it is not big, it is

DENSE

For size it fitted a lot of mechanicals into a package where the looks made it look bigger.


I'll have a Z tune one please, I think I would lust over that more than an F40. It's just the ultimate Skyline.....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/nissan/gt-r-n...
R33 LM is the ultimate IMO: