RE: Viper Returns to the Green Hell: Time For Coffee

RE: Viper Returns to the Green Hell: Time For Coffee

Thursday 15th February

Viper Returns to the Green Hell: Time For Coffee?

A behind-the-scenes look at that incredible 7:01 Nordschleife lap



A longer video to accompany your morning beverage today, though one fully deserving of your attention. Shorten your lunch hour if you must. Because 'The Story of Viper's Return to the Green Hell' is utterly fantastic.

You'll hopefully be familiar by now with the exploits of the Viper Owners Association, who took a pair of Viper GTS-Rs to the 'ring last year and set that wild 7:01 lap. While no longer the fastest rear-wheel drive lap - that honour has been taken by the GT2 RS - it remains, by our reckoning at least, still the quickest manual car around the Nordschleife. And just four seconds behind a 918 Spyder, don't forget...

This film interviews the key people involved in the effort, including engineers, drivers and support crew. There's that infectious enthusiasm you get from people so tremendously dedicated to an admirable cause, expertly captured by Fox Pro films. What you also get is the tangible trepidation, angst and worry from a group of people desperate to achieve something that's actually quite dangerous, plus the problems (including sourcing new drivers) that were overcome. And some suitably atmospheric music, of course.

The narrator is a touch annoying, yes, and it's sad to now know all this effort has been bested by those pesky Porsche folk, but that shouldn't detract from a Herculean effort and a great video - enjoy!

 

[Photo: Viper Ring King via Facebook]

Author
Discussion

Slb89

Original Poster:

69 posts

75 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
and the point of all this issssssssssssssssssssssssss?

jameswsb

19 posts

56 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
If you don't get the point of this, you are looking at the wrong website.

akirk

2,677 posts

50 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Slb89 said:
and the point of all this issssssssssssssssssssssssss?
that it is a forum for those who enjoy cars wink
if you see them simply as a means of getting from A to B you might find that you are on the wrong forum

kars

86 posts

105 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
7:01 - nothing to be ashamed of - *fastest manual

Front tire profile let them down, can't handle the heat - that is also the reason why they crashed.
"We have a car with a pretty hefty curb weight being forced into the ground with substantial aero downforce dragging these soft front tires sideways through aggressive corners and it seems like we are simply pushing them right past their thermal limits causing de-lamination of the outer rubber layer."(c)ACR forum

Great info about the front tire problem from Robert/Misha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qTtytgXaxQ&t=...




Onehp

706 posts

219 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
akirk said:
Slb89 said:
and the point of all this issssssssssssssssssssssssss?
that it is a forum for those who enjoy cars wink
if you see them simply as a means of getting from A to B you might find that you are on the wrong forum
The fastest way to get from point A to point A. Stay where you are. tongue out

Advertisement

Slb89

Original Poster:

69 posts

75 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
akirk said:
that it is a forum for those who enjoy cars wink
if you see them simply as a means of getting from A to B you might find that you are on the wrong forum
i don't enjoy cars? .. how do you arrive at that evaluation? smile

the point of setting this time in a viper at nurburg when its not even going to beat any records?

it's just becauseeeeeee they can right? so they have. well cool.

Hairymonster

347 posts

41 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Excellent video - wonder if they'll come back and see if they can crack the 7 minute barrier.

Hairymonster

347 posts

41 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Slb89 said:
and the point of all this issssssssssssssssssssssssss?
The point is that you're a tw@t.

NoLiftShift

32 posts

32 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Hairymonster said:
Slb89 said:
and the point of all this issssssssssssssssssssssssss?
The point is that you're a tw@t.
Hear, hear.....

Viper

9,980 posts

209 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
i think they did break a couple of records at the time, mentioned at the end of video

kars

86 posts

105 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Viper said:
i think they did break a couple of records at the time, mentioned at the end of video
Fastest manual + Fastest RWD (*at that time)

Arun_D

2,109 posts

131 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Slb89 said:
akirk said:
that it is a forum for those who enjoy cars wink
if you see them simply as a means of getting from A to B you might find that you are on the wrong forum
i don't enjoy cars? .. how do you arrive at that evaluation? smile

the point of setting this time in a viper at nurburg when its not even going to beat any records?

it's just becauseeeeeee they can right? so they have. well cool.
Did you watch the video? It came away with fastest RWD car and fastest manual car. The former being latterly beaten by the 991 GT2RS

PoopahScoopah

244 posts

61 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Slb89 said:
the point of setting this time in a viper at nurburg when its not even going to beat any records?

it's just becauseeeeeee they can right? so they have. well cool.
Isn't that the very nature of many/most/all record attempts? what's the point of ANY form of motorsport? Indeed what's the point of any sport? Why climb Everest? Why walk on the moon? Because we can, so we do, and to challenge ourselves to push the limits.

Besides, they explained in the video that they wanted to do this because the Viper is going out of production so it was kind of a way to go out on a high. But I guess you didn't see that as you'd made your mind up it was pointless and probably didn't watch it.

Boydie88

3,008 posts

85 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
kars said:
7:01 - nothing to be ashamed of - *fastest manual

Front tire profile let them down, can't handle the heat - that is also the reason why they crashed.
"We have a car with a pretty hefty curb weight being forced into the ground with substantial aero downforce dragging these soft front tires sideways through aggressive corners and it seems like we are simply pushing them right past their thermal limits causing de-lamination of the outer rubber layer."(c)ACR forum

Great info about the front tire problem from Robert/Misha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qTtytgXaxQ&t=...
Such a shame given the 7:01.3 was that driver's first hot lap.

What I'd give for an SRT Viper.

unsprung

2,569 posts

60 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
It's fun to stumble upon a Viper at one of those Cars & Coffee type of events. And to hear it on startup.

The exhaust note is menacing. The long bonnet is indeed long. The entire aesthetic of this unique car is worthy of the retro-modern labels that people tend to throw around. Dodge has honed this car to a significant degree. I mean, I'd be grateful to own almost any of the model years, but the last generation 2013 - 2017 is the most visually appealing.

It was on PH where I learned that the aluminium blocks were machined in the UK. But the more interesting contribution from Blighty was the licensing of camshaft technology from this engineering specialist.


100SRV

1,413 posts

178 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
unsprung said:
It was on PH where I learned that the aluminium blocks were machined in the UK. But the more interesting contribution from Blighty was the licensing of camshaft technology from this engineering specialist.
Very impressive!
Saw one on the road a few years ago, Silver with Blue stripes. Smaller than I expected.
Lottery ticket time!

fblm

15,337 posts

199 months

Thursday 15th February
quotequote all
Gotta just love the Viper. Great video, thanks.

ZX10R NIN

12,257 posts

61 months

Friday 16th February
quotequote all
Super impressive shame about the thermal issues on the front tyres but that makes the effort even more impressive.

fatboy18

15,548 posts

147 months

Friday 16th February
quotequote all
For the people that helped with the Crowdfunding effort and put in more than $250.00 they received a poster with their name on it.

I'm very proud to have helped fund this effort,my names on the poster (just don't tell the missus)!
The Poster

DanielSan

13,596 posts

103 months

Friday 16th February
quotequote all
The latest Beetle might be a couple of seconds faster around the German toll road, but given the choice I’d have the Viper all day long.