Ecocut - great idea or dreadful?

Ecocut - great idea or dreadful?

Author
Discussion

irocfan

Original Poster:

27,038 posts

156 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Simply put - trim your windscreen wipers to prolong their life....

https://ecocut-pro.de/en/2016/11/24/this-invention...

Toyoda

1,354 posts

66 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Would like to see Peter Jones pull it apart (figuratively speaking) on Dragons Den.

Krikkit

21,396 posts

147 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Sounds like a good idea if it works, at €13 it's certainly cheaper than even one set of wipers on most cars, so even if you only use it once it pays for itself.

budgie smuggler

4,320 posts

125 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Toyoda said:
It's a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Would like to see Peter Jones pull it apart (figuratively speaking) on Dragons Den.
What do you mean, problem that doesn't exist? Do you chuck away your pencils when they get blunt? Same thing. Except the replacement blades for wipers are £20+. If it works, I think it's a great idea.

JimSuperSix

3,963 posts

209 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Anyone who owns a car knows that it's a problem that does exist.

Vitorio

4,296 posts

109 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
budgie smuggler said:
What do you mean, problem that doesn't exist? Do you chuck away your pencils when they get blunt? Same thing. Except the replacement blades for wipers are £20+. If it works, I think it's a great idea.
Problem is that pencils are designed to be sharpened, wiper blades arent designed with skimming in mind.

This might work perfectly, so im not going to shoot it down right away, but its worth keeping in mind that the pencil analogy doesnt quite match up

Fastdruid

7,117 posts

118 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
I'm sure it works....but while wiper performance *does* degrade over time I'm not sure I've got to the point where I've had to replace a wiper due to performance before I'd need to replace them anyway as the blade starts to split away (if you look at the shape of the blade it's kind of like a fir tree, they inevitably split at the "base" of the "tree")

Sad Ken

623 posts

76 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Another tool I'll buy then lose amongst all the other tools, so will end up having to buy more blades anyway biggrin

lyonspride

2,847 posts

121 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Seriously? People are that tight?

This is just stupid on an epic scale, it's not hard to replace wipers, you don't need to take out a small mortgage and pay Halfrauds to do it, despite what the TV adverts say YOUR NOT TOO STUPID TO DO IT YOURSELF!

Next they'll be selling re-cutting tools your tyres or a reconditioning kit for your car battery, includes acid, a safety knife and a brush for cleaning the lead plates.

Or how about a dye that changes the colour of your engine oil to make it look fresh? Or a device for taking the lip off heavily worn brake discs? Maybe a dynamo you can position against one of your tyres to save having to replace a faulty alternator?

The list of stupid really does go on........

Sad Ken

623 posts

76 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
lyonspride said:
YOUR NOT TOO STUPID TO DO IT YOURSELF!
[pedantic] but are too stupid to know the difference between your and you're? [/pedantic}

sorry couldn't help it lol laugh (apologies if it was subtle irony lol)

Shakermaker

11,317 posts

66 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
I wonder how many the bloke needs to sell to make back his investment? He's marketing it exactly the right way for this type of thing - on Facebook. Won't cost too much in advertising.

Thanks to my trusty Halfords Trade card, a new pair of Bosch wiper blades is only about the same price as this anyway and as someone else pointed out, they don't normally degrade so much at the edge but they split along their length when they go.

Richard-390a0

1,045 posts

57 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Wiperblades are getting greasy?... solution cut the greasy bit off !

& to think all these years I've just been wiping them clean on a piece of cloth for free!!!

GIYess

1,094 posts

67 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Wonder how it affects noise? I usually change my wipers as they start to harden and squeak.

irocfan

Original Poster:

27,038 posts

156 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
lyonspride said:
despite what the TV adverts say YOUR NOT TOO STUPID TO DO IT YOURSELF!
my apologies - I know it's pedantry but that made me laugh.


Dr Interceptor

6,161 posts

162 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
I bet Bosch are stting themselves.

Conscript

1,318 posts

87 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
lyonspride said:
Seriously? People are that tight?

This is just stupid on an epic scale, it's not hard to replace wipers, you don't need to take out a small mortgage and pay Halfrauds to do it, despite what the TV adverts say YOUR NOT TOO STUPID TO DO IT YOURSELF!

Next they'll be selling re-cutting tools your tyres or a reconditioning kit for your car battery, includes acid, a safety knife and a brush for cleaning the lead plates.

Or how about a dye that changes the colour of your engine oil to make it look fresh? Or a device for taking the lip off heavily worn brake discs? Maybe a dynamo you can position against one of your tyres to save having to replace a faulty alternator?

The list of stupid really does go on........
I think you've missed the point. The clue is in the name, this is more about being environmentally friendly - not massively so, but every little helps I guess. Seems like a neat little idea to me...why chuck out the entire wiper when only about 5% of the material used in it's construction is no longer usable? Just run this along to 'sharpen' the blade, carry on using it.

Kenny Powers

2,618 posts

93 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Seems like a good idea to me. But if it didn’t, I would probably ignore it rather than complain about it as though it was an insult to my family biggrin

Personally I will keep this product in mind, as I am quite fussy and tend to replace wipers every couple of years.

Flibble

5,680 posts

147 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
Seems pointless, the edge of the blade isn't the only thing that wears on a wiper, the springs on the back of the blade (or stiffened spine on an aero wiper) will weaken over time, so even if you skimmed a wiper you're not buying much more life. My last set of wipers cost me £13 (Bosch) so it's not like there is big money to be saved.

mgv8

1,497 posts

237 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
I always like it when people try and are inventive. In this case, I am not so shore as I think blade performance is often effected by hardening of the rubber. Having said that I would give it a go and see if in real life it works before saying its no good.

Sad Ken

623 posts

76 months

Friday 23rd March 2018
quotequote all
mgv8 said:
I always like it when people try and are inventive. In this case, I am not so shore
I sea what you did there biggrin