RE: Honda Integra DC2 Type R: Spotted

RE: Honda Integra DC2 Type R: Spotted

Thursday 8th November

Honda Integra DC2 Type R: Spotted

Is this the performance car bargain of the classifieds? Quite possibly...



Oh, how tantalising the technical ingredients of the Integra Type R were. Still are, in fact, 20 years later. The first Type R model to be launched in Britain used a very special, 8,500rpm 1.8-litre engine that drove 190hp through a helical limited-slip diff - enough alone to grab attention. But the car's structure was also stiffened and weight was saved with thinner glass; it even featured a pair of strut braces from the factory. The Integra's spec read like a recipe fit for motorsport - which is no coincidence, because the car was homologated for Group N racing.

Why, then, do the words 'DC2 Integra Type R' not pass through the lips of as many petrolheads after a performance bargain as, say, Renaultsport Clio or the DC2's younger cousin, the Civic Type R? Probably because of the Japanese coupe's comparable rarity, as well as the fact it's not a hatchback, so it can't be included in your top 10 hot hatchback lists and won't show up on a classifieds search for such a bodyshape. It's also not as practical, apparently. And yes, they are still a little more expensive - maybe that's it.


DC2s have remained a bit of a left-field choice, despite offering so much for the money (so much, in fact, that Honda lost money on each DC2). On the other hand, though, this has only served to boost their desirability to those in the know.

Remember how special a 1.8-litre car producing 190hp at 7,900rpm was back in 1998, especially in comparison to every other Honda (NSX aside)? With the rise of the internet in full swing (including some site called PistonHeads), it meant the 1,797cc B18C engine - which still ranks among the greatest four-cylinders ever - quickly acquired infamy on forums, helping to create a cult-like world of VTEC worshippers, who declared their love for high revs and the clever cam tech kicking in. Yo. In the 1,125kg Type R, it meant 62mph could reach in 6.7 seconds and top speed was 145mph. Strong numbers even by today's standards.

Yet, arguably, it's the Integra's sublime handling that has sealed the car's legendary status. Later hot Hondas could offer the VTEC experience in a similar vein, but very few have recaptured the delicate handling offered by the DC2 and its nimble chassis. It also flaunted a balance so sweet Matt was convinced this remains a better driver's car than the RWD (and much younger) Toyota GT86 in last year's Hero drive. In some circles, the Integra Type R is still regarded as the best handling front-wheel car ever made.


Yet still, used prices remain fairly reasonable. Sure, there are ultra-low mileage examples sat in showrooms with optimistic numbers stuck to their windscreens. But there are also several sub-£10k cars floating around that, generally-speaking, only have higher mileage and age-related wear to hamper their values. Given that the DC2 Integra Type R is deep into the realms of a modern classics, that it's so revered among enthusiasts and that fewer than 900 are registered in the UK (according to HowManyLeft), several examples of Integra Type R on the classifieds look a bit like performance car bargains.

Take today's Spotted, for example. 104,000 miles on the clock shouldn't be too much of a concern thanks to Honda's reliability record. This car is also described as completely rust free and, aside from a little fade in the Milano Red paintwork, looks to be in fine condition. It's fitted with a set of Bridgestone RE002 tyres, which keep them on brand to the factory originals, and the car comes with a full service history. In short, this appears to be a cherished, fairly used example of a front-drive performance icon. Yet it's yours for less than the price of a five-year-old Jazz.


SPECIFICATIONS - HONDA INTEGRA TYPE R (DC2)

Engine: 1,797cc, 4-cyl
Transmission: 5-speed manual, front-wheel drive, limited-slip differential
Power (hp): 190@7,900rpm
Torque (lb ft): 131@7,300rpm
CO2: N/A
MPG: 32.1
First registered: 1999
Recorded mileage: 104,000
Price new: c. £23,000
Yours for: £5,995

See the original advert here.

Author
Discussion

Oz83

Original Poster:

339 posts

74 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
Lovely. I always wanted a red one.

Some new badges and a tin of crackle red and it would be perfect.

cb1965

2,452 posts

80 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
That looks like a fine example, in fact I might even go and take a look at the weekend. Should never have sold my black one.

cat220

2,381 posts

150 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
I loved mine, rusty arches and all, still miss it...

rtz62

1,540 posts

90 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
Two words.
Sub. Lime.
I’ll leave that there....

deadscoob

2,001 posts

195 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
I had the pleasure of driving one of these on a Palmersport experience.
Best fwd car I’ve driven, brilliant cars, so much fun.
Advertisement

rodericb

1,476 posts

61 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
Not a hatch so not as practical as a hatch? Liftback with a fair old space in the back - same boot capacity as a MkVI 5 door Golf with rear seats up. Load space not as vertically capacious as a hatch but the floor area makes up for it.

Chris71

21,396 posts

177 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
Great car and sounds like a bit of a bargain by today's standards. But I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that these started at about £3k not so long ago. The whole 'modern classics' craze has a lot to answer for (even though the Integra might be one that's actually worthy of the title).

Toymad

7 posts

69 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
I had one of these and some years later a Clio 182, the ITR was a much more special experience despite the ingredients and stats being so similar. V-Tech that eggs you on at every gear change, (changing at 8k brings it on song at 6k in the next gear) transparent messages of what the car's doing through the wheel and a gear change the feels like it is sucking the lever into the next gear. Yes. I miss it.

E36Dan

6,981 posts

103 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
It's been in the UK for nearly 20 years, over 100k miles. Rust free hehe

Seems to be a DC2 story on here every other week now!

Cool cars, but starting to get a bit too pricey for the performance.

mooseracer

382 posts

105 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
deadscoob said:
I had the pleasure of driving one of these on a Palmersport experience.
Best fwd car I’ve driven, brilliant cars, so much fun.
I had the pleasure of owning an ex-Palmersport car, red like this one but on an X plate. Had a new gearbox under warranty before I collected it but otherwise was just fantastic during my ownership and an MOT history check shows it soldiered on until last year with around 150k miles on it before presumably dying,

TristPerrin

94 posts

113 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
I looked at tons of UK '98 spec DC2s about ~5 years ago and every single one had rust issues around the rear arches, it was enough to put me off the idea completly. "Fresh" JDM imports would be less rusty and have the nicer square headlights but you pay a heck of a premium for them.

martin12345

41 posts

24 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
MOT history is unreal - 12 years (all those recorded on line) - no fails and no advisory's ever
How well looked after a car is that !!
I thought out Hilux was good with 6 years without a mark against it, but the cars whole life and 20 years old too

If you were in the market (which I'm not - got my own 20 year old baby to love and nourish and don't need another) then this looks like a seriously good car

Dr G

13,369 posts

177 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
Couple of K under valued maybe? Can well see that being advertised for 8-9, certainly would be with a dealer.

If it's sound that's worth 6 all day long. Take care of it and depreciation will be zero.

chrismc1977

334 posts

47 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
It looks tidy enough- but I fear we are all getting carried away.

Fully mint rust-free UK cars are exceptionally thin on the ground.

At 104k mechanically it will need a full rebush, engine mounts (+inserts ideally), valve cover, badges & a set of proper rubber (AD08 or similar)- just for starters. Dampers might be tired too though they’re relatively hardy-but NLA from Honda :-/

Whilst the price is ‘OK’- (not so long ago this would have been a sub £4K car), it definitely needs some work to make it proper IMO.

That’s before you tackle the paintwork & Classic Milano Pink paint fade of course....



Love mine! Few little bits to freshen up over the winter



Edited by chrismc1977 on Thursday 8th November 12:08

mooseracer

382 posts

105 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
chrismc1977 said:
It looks tidy enough- but I fear we are all getting carried away.

Fully mint rust-free UK cars are exceptionally thin on the ground.

At 104k mechanically it will need a full rebush, engine mounts (+inserts ideally), attention to bolsters & valve cover & a set of proper rubber- just for starters...

Whilst the price is OK- (not so long ago this would have been a sub £4K car), it definitely needs some work to make it proper IMO
It might need some suspension refreshing and might need engine mounts - either or both could already have been done. Hard to tell on the bolster from the pictures and the valve cover? Hardly a deal breaker and neither are the tyres - just get different ones when they wear out if you don't like them (I don't).

I think you're being a little hard on it wink On the face of it - and obviously you'd want to check to confirm - I think it looks a bloody sensible buy for someone. Until you find out the previous owners have been MOT testers.....

chrismc1977

334 posts

47 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
mooseracer said:
It might need some suspension refreshing and might need engine mounts - either or both could already have been done. Hard to tell on the bolster from the pictures and the valve cover? Hardly a deal breaker and neither are the tyres - just get different ones when they wear out if you don't like them (I don't).

I think you're being a little hard on it wink On the face of it - and obviously you'd want to check to confirm - I think it looks a bloody sensible buy for someone. Until you find out the previous owners have been MOT testers.....
Maybe I am- but then I’m fussy. If I was a betting man I’d strongly suspect those bits are still OEM. Haven’t seen mention of any attention to them on any advert- which would certainly catch the eye of any ITR enthusiast & indicate it’s been properly loved.

So whilst still a nice car on the face of it, the drive will likely be slightly leggy- it’s an age thing, not mileage. Been there & done it!

As for tyres- one of the single most key things on an ITR. Makes a huge difference to how they feel/drive. Careful choice required!!!





Edited by chrismc1977 on Thursday 8th November 12:18

havoc

24,138 posts

170 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
chrismc1977 said:
It looks tidy enough- but I fear we are all getting carried away.

Fully mint rust-free UK cars are exceptionally thin on the ground.

At 104k mechanically it will need a full rebush, engine mounts (+inserts ideally), valve cover, badges & a set of proper rubber (AD08 or similar)- just for starters. Dampers might be tired too though they’re relatively hardy-but NLA from Honda :-/

Whilst the price is ‘OK’- (not so long ago this would have been a sub £4K car), it definitely needs some work to make it proper IMO.

That’s before you tackle the paintwork & Classic Milano Pink paint fade of course....
Without wanting to talk a car I've not seen down, I tend to agree.

Compared vs other classifieds, this DOES look like good value, and if it's a straight car without hidden issues (except probably some rusty arches), then it's up at a fair price for the current market. If I had the driveway space (and a more tolerant wife! wink ) I'd be tempted to go and look myself.


...but most of these cars will need (and because they used to be down at £3-4k have probably never had)
- new bushes for certain (OE only, or possibly Mugen - avoid polybushes as Honda used differential hardness to 'tune' the handling, and polybushes behave differently)
- plus dampers at some point soon on any car +/- 100k miles
- probably engine mounts, rear wheel bearings and exhaust if not already done due to wear
- ...and as Chris says, red ones are usually now pink - the old red paints used to fade badly and only ones regularly waxed or garaged will have had enough protection from UV. Potentially (!) recoverable by a decent detailer, so may not need a respray...but consider the possibility of repainting the rear arches and the risk of paint mismatch...i.e. try the detailing first!


So you can typically add somewhere around/above £5k to the asking price to get the car back to original fighting fettle...and trust me, you'll want to as they genuinely are that good when fit...only a very noticeable lack of performance below 5,500rpm disappoints.
(Back in the late-90s even that wasn't really an issue, but nowadays there are boggo TDi MPVs and mini-SUVs which will have quicker in-gear performance)


Powertrain, if looked after, is robust (gear linkages can wear, synchro can on occasion too if the driver's been too aggressive with changes, but the B-series 'box is better in that regard than the one on the K-series that replaced it, and the engines only suffer if let run low on oil...which applies to every single car out there), electrics are typical Japanese quality, and build quality overall was from the time when Honda was better than Toyota at such things. The interior is dated but there's little to go wrong - seat bolsters are a cheap (and usually DIY) fix, ICE is well-served by the aftermarket and who's going to regularly have rear-seat passengers in one of these anyway?

mooseracer

382 posts

105 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
chrismc1977 said:
Love mine! Few little bits to freshen up over the winter



Edited by chrismc1977 on Thursday 8th November 12:08
That looks a good un Chris. Have you got a thread on it?

chrismc1977

334 posts

47 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
mooseracer said:
That looks a good un Chris. Have you got a thread on it?
Thanks. It’s decent- but always room for improvement!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=16...

chrismc1977

334 posts

47 months

Thursday 8th November
quotequote all
havoc said:
Without wanting to talk a car I've not seen down, I tend to agree.

Compared vs other classifieds, this DOES look like good value, and if it's a straight car without hidden issues (except probably some rusty arches), then it's up at a fair price for the current market. If I had the driveway space (and a more tolerant wife! wink ) I'd be tempted to go and look myself.


...but most of these cars will need (and because they used to be down at £3-4k have probably never had)
- new bushes for certain (OE only, or possibly Mugen - avoid polybushes as Honda used differential hardness to 'tune' the handling, and polybushes behave differently)
- plus dampers at some point soon on any car +/- 100k miles
- probably engine mounts, rear wheel bearings and exhaust if not already done due to wear
- ...and as Chris says, red ones are usually now pink - the old red paints used to fade badly and only ones regularly waxed or garaged will have had enough protection from UV. Potentially (!) recoverable by a decent detailer, so may not need a respray...but consider the possibility of repainting the rear arches and the risk of paint mismatch...i.e. try the detailing first!


So you can typically add somewhere around/above £5k to the asking price to get the car back to original fighting fettle...and trust me, you'll want to as they genuinely are that good when fit...only a very noticeable lack of performance below 5,500rpm disappoints.
(Back in the late-90s even that wasn't really an issue, but nowadays there are boggo TDi MPVs and mini-SUVs which will have quicker in-gear performance)


Powertrain, if looked after, is robust (gear linkages can wear, synchro can on occasion too if the driver's been too aggressive with changes, but the B-series 'box is better in that regard than the one on the K-series that replaced it, and the engines only suffer if let run low on oil...which applies to every single car out there), electrics are typical Japanese quality, and build quality overall was from the time when Honda was better than Toyota at such things. The interior is dated but there's little to go wrong - seat bolsters are a cheap (and usually DIY) fix, ICE is well-served by the aftermarket and who's going to regularly have rear-seat passengers in one of these anyway?
This is kinda what I was getting at.

Seems an honest enough car- but some further investment likely required to get it up to ‘fighting fettle’. Very unlikely to jump into it & find it feeling factory fresh & taught.

Other potential weaknesses at such a mileage are the clutch (they are pretty tough due to not many torques but don’t last forever) & rear calipers which tend to bind up over time.

Hardrace also do decent rubber bush kits too- poly not the way to go despite being cheap. OEM all the way for the RTA’s too