Hypercars? Koenigsegg doesn't do hypercars. It does MEGACARS!
Grudgingly we've kind of accepted the term 'hypercar' in reference to the latest crop of electrically assisted exotica from McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche. Given the hybrid element it's an easy contraction to make but it's one Koenigsegg isn't going to play ball with.
Aero - and there's lots of it - is all active
No. Because Koenigsegg doesn't need any electric motors to achieve the goal - claimed as a world first - of matching horsepower to kilograms. Given that both of those figures are comfortably 1,000+ the adoption of the prefix 'mega' adds provenance to a description you might otherwise write-off as pure hype. Oh, alright, a bit of hype then - the press release describes it as 'The world's first Megacar - 1 megawatt of power homologated car'. A 'regular' Agera R has 1,140hp and a dry weight of 1,330kg (1,435kg with fluids); current speculation suggests the horsepower figure has been raised to match the kerbweight but whatever the equalised figure it'll be suitably ludicrous.
Details abound about the rest of the car though, including a 20 per cent reduction in the weight of the carbon fibre chassis, 3D printed components including the 'variable turbo housing' and titanium exhaust endpiece, GPS controlled predictive active chassis working with active variable ride height, damping and spring rates, 2G cornering on street legal tyres and active aero.
Pared back interior suggests weight saving
Performance figures? Nothing published yet but Koenigsegg is saying "top speed has not been a priority, as the One:1 is a track focused car - however, the One:1 is anticipated to be, the world's fastest homologated production car, with a simulated top speed of > 440 km/h [275mph], due to high power and high rpm capability in combination with strong tires and active aero." Hennessey versus Koenigsegg anyone? We'll need a runway. And some clean underwear awaiting at the far end of it.
Relatively trick then. But also sold already. Damn. Still, there's an Agera R - the 2011 Geneva show car no less - in the PH classifieds for £880K if you want something to distract from the disappointment.
Join the PH rating wars with your marks out of 10 for the article (Your ratings will be shown in your profile if you have one!)
[quote=Koenigsegg]Koenigsegg 2014 Geneva Auto Salon Press Release
Celebrating 20 Years
By introducing - The Agera One:1 – Worlds first Megacar
· Worlds first 1:1 (One:1) power to curb weight ratio homologated production car (kg/hp)
· World’s first Megacar - 1 Megawatt of power homologated production car
· 2 G cornering capability on road legal production cup tires
· 610 kg down force at 260 km/h (160 mph) utilizing advanced active under and over body aerodynamics
· Chassis with active ride height and shock absorbing including variable stiffness spring ratios
· Fully active aero with independent left and right front flaps under front splitter and hydraulically actuated top mounted dual plane rear wing
· 3G and GPS controlled Predictive Active Chassis and Aero Track Mode
· 20% lighter carbon chassis and body due to implementation of M46J & M55J high modulus fibers
· 3D-VGT - Koenigsegg patented 3D printed variable turbo housing – gives improved response and bottom end torque
· 3G connection for telemetry, performance, lap times and software upgrades, including owners iPhone app
· New Koenigsegg developed Carbon fiber ventilated memory foam racing seats
· 3D printed titanium exhaust end piece saves 400 grams compared to Aluminium counterpart
· Active noise canceling seat option
· Top Speed – has not been a priority, as the One:1 is a track focused car - however, the One:1 is anticipated to be, the world’s fastest homologated production car, with a simulated top speed of > 440 km/h, due to high power and high rpm capability in combination with strong tires and active aero
· Many more exiting and new features will be present at the show
· Program fully pre-sold prior to introduction
· Welcome to stand 1259 in hall 1 to join our 20 Years Celebration with the introduction of the One:1!
Koenigsegg Celebrating 20 Years
The journey of Koenigsegg, since inception, is truly incredible. It all started on August 12th 1994 when a young man, age 22, set out to realize his childhood dream. A young man fuelled by passion, ingenuity and mind-bending will.
Christian von Koenigsegg had just made up his mind to live his dream and start his own car company. The odds were stacked against him. It was a now or never moment.
His idea was to create a sports car that he felt did not currently exist and one which he believed would be desired – two essential necessities for success, Christian felt.
The concept: A lightweight mid-engined car, with a detachable, stowable hardtop. A wrap-around screen for good visibility and aerodynamics. Short overhangs with two large intercooler intakes on the side of the car, behind the mass centre to aid high speed stability.
A car that looked and felt good with the top up, as well as in roadster guise, transformed in minutes with the hard top neatly tucked away inside the car. A car with a timeless efficient appearance that age like good wine.
This was a mid-engine car concept that did not exist at the time. The CC8S was born. Every Koenigsegg created since includes this simple but effective DNA and stay true to Christian’s original vision.
It has been an amazing ride. From boyhood dream to a shining, all-conquering and powerful reality. It’s awe-inspiring stuff that dreams are made of.
Five production models with as many Guinness production car records later - it is a fact, Koenigsegg has exploded on to the scene and is here to stay.
When Christian is asked what his greatest achievement is - he says without hesitation: -Living the dream!
Dave Hedgehog28 Feb 2014
JDMDrifter28 Feb 2014
I think Koenigsegg's are definitely built from alien technology because that cannot be possible from a road car
Planter28 Feb 2014
Big Big Big fan of this and the stats are pretty impressive too