-World Class example
-Full restoration by renowned restorer Classic Showcase of Oceanside, California
-Ultra special 21 windows deluxe with sliding sunroof
-Formerly part of a large private collection
Initially a conception by Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, the Volkswagen Micro Bus inspired a great following based on its practicality and affordability and above all it's status as an absolute all-time cult vehicle. The original was conceived in the late 1940s by Ben Pon, a Dutch Volkswagen agent, who sought to create a van based Beetle after the instant success the Beetle had. The result of Pon's efforts were almost instantly proliferated into a variety of models that catered across a large variety of commercial and domestic needs. The Micro Bus kept the Beetle's 1,200cc air-cooled engine and a four-speed gearbox.
Due to a reasonably greater weight, the engine grew in size and power while handling and comfort were much improved as it gradually developed. In 1968 a major revision of the initial vehicle occurred, and in respect to the terrific design revision, two million had been sold worldwide. The replacement was called a 'Type 2', which was an entirely new model, although it remained rear-engined it was larger and roomier. Visually, the most obvious difference was the wraparound windscreen, whereas the original contained a two piece split screen, which quickly became dubbed as the 'Splittie'. Essentially, power units grew from 1,600cc to 2.0 litres before production ceased in 1978 with the introduction of the third generation.
The car we are proud to offer here is a very rare, ultimate example of the 'Type 2' 21-Window Deluxe Micro Bus. In 2006, this outstanding Deluxe Bus was restored in Dove White and Pearl Blue coachwork by international renowned restorers Classic Showcase of Oceanside, California. Additionally, it features a rare factory sliding sunroof, six outward opening windows, and a hand roof rack. The exterior finish and bodywork is truly incredible on this Micro Bus, it is safe to say that no detail has been overlooked. The initial engine was a 1,500 cc overhead valve, horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine producing a 40 horsepower. It has since been replaced with another correct 1,500 cc engine. The bus has also been fitted with all-new tires and includes the Original Bill of Sale, Heritage Letter and other essential documentation.
Awaiting its new lucky owner, this is unmistakably the choice as this is an extremely sought after example.
Now available for viewing at the DD Classics Dealership in London, please call for more information. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the above information but errors may occur. Please check with a salesperson.
- Top speed-
- Driven Wheels-
- Body typeOther
- Vehicle height-
- Vehicle width-
Previous Owners -
PistonHeads members who have owned this car or the same model
Air cooled tax free summer show vehicle.. Read the full summaryView members blog entries about this car
Time to sell your car?
Wanting to sell your car? PistonHeads can help you get the best price and that quick sale. Try one of our selling tools today.
Contact DD Classics
- Used Volkswagen in Brentford (116)
- Used Volkswagen in Bromley (2)
- Used Volkswagen in Chingford (7)
- Used Volkswagen in Eltham (3)
- Used Volkswagen in Mortlake (2)
- Used Volkswagen in Northolt (1)
- Used Volkswagen in Orpington (10)
- Used Volkswagen in Sidcup (17)
- Used Volkswagen in Teddington (1)
- Used Volkswagen in Twickenham (79)
- Used Volkswagen in Uxbridge (1)
- Used cars in Cardiff (1252)
- Used cars in Chelmsford (1274)
- Used cars in Derby (1438)
- Used cars in Doncaster (1215)
- Used cars in Glasgow (1602)
- Used cars in Leeds (1748)
- Used cars in Leicester (1279)
- Used cars in Milton Keynes (1327)
- Used cars in Nottingham (1611)
- Used cars in Reading (1126)
- Used cars in Sheffield (1173)
- Used cars in East Midlands (8864)
- Used cars in East of England (9674)
- Used cars in London (3287)
- Used cars in North East (4970)
- Used cars in North West (10512)
- Used cars in Scotland (6745)
- Used cars in South East (13089)
- Used cars in South West (7856)
- Used cars in Wales (4646)
- Used cars in West Midlands (8741)
- Used cars in Yorkshire and The Humber (11310)
No recent searches